IMG_9247 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9231 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0920 (resized).jpeg
DSCN3296 (resized).JPG
DSCN3295 (resized).JPG
DSCN3294 (resized).JPG
DSCN3293 (resized).JPG
DSCN3292 (resized).JPG
There are 4,305 posts in this topic. You are on page 74 of 87.
#3651 1 year ago
Quoted from Cudasales:

Finally got around to installing my Pin2DMD and it looks Great! I am shocked at how much a difference all of the colors make the game look on the different screens.
Support is also fantastic from Dino up in Canada with the Pin2DMD.
[quoted image]

Looking good! Was the installation easy? Can you compare this to a ColorDMD LED?

#3652 1 year ago

Anyone can tell me what legs that ToM came with back in the days? All I see on pictures when googling is gold legs but the flyer seems to have chromed ribbed legs. Need to order four legs for my ToM and want to keep it as original as possible.

#3653 1 year ago
Quoted from Frogroar:

Looking good! Was the installation easy? Can you compare this to a ColorDMD LED?

It was a simple drop in. NO modifications were required. Fit's just like the original.

I did look at the ColorDMD before the Pin2DMD but it was Out of Stock and a LOT more expensive. What I liked about the Pin2DMD was that it looks closer to the original display in TOM than the ColorDMD LED does. I think the ColorDMD looks better in the newer pins and the Pin2DMD looks better in the 90's and early 2000's pins.

There is a Lot of support for the Pin2DMD with authors creating colorizations for the different games. I spoke with the author who did the colorizations for TOM and he plans on doing an update for it. The nice thing is that the updates are free if you own the original colorization. I know the ColorDMD also has a pretty good following and support as well.

#3654 1 year ago
Quoted from Cudasales:

It was a simple drop in. NO modifications were required. Fit's just like the original.
I did look at the ColorDMD before the Pin2DMD but it was Out of Stock and a LOT more expensive. What I liked about the Pin2DMD was that it looks closer to the original display in TOM than the ColorDMD LED does. I think the ColorDMD looks better in the newer pins and the Pin2DMD looks better in the 90's and early 2000's pins.
There is a Lot of support for the Pin2DMD with authors creating colorizations for the different games. I spoke with the author who did the colorizations for TOM and he plans on doing an update for it. The nice thing is that the updates are free if you own the original colorization. I know the ColorDMD also has a pretty good following and support as well.

I just received my Pin2DMD. If there is an update, will your distributor let you know or do I need to reach out to the author?
thx

#3655 1 year ago
Quoted from Cudasales:

... What I liked about the Pin2DMD was that it looks closer to the original display in TOM than the ColorDMD LED does. I think the ColorDMD looks better in the newer pins and the Pin2DMD looks better in the 90's and early 2000's pins

I'm not following you here. Are you referring to when the power is off?

There's clearly a lot of personal preference here. I've decided I like the ColorDMD LCD version running Dots XL more than the LED version. I find the LED to be too harsh. Just IMHO.

I think ColorDMD on Theatre of Magic is amazing. I haven't experienced Pin2DMD so I'm not saying anything negative about it.

#3656 1 year ago
Quoted from altan:

There's clearly a lot of personal preference here. I've decided I like the ColorDMD LCD version running Dots XL more than the LED version. I find the LED to be too harsh. Just IMHO.
I think ColorDMD on Theatre of Magic is amazing. I haven't experienced Pin2DMD so I'm not saying anything negative about it.

I have both LCD and LED versions of the colorDMD on hand.

I chose the LCD for my ToM.

LED for DW, TAF, etc...

#3657 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

I have both LCD and LED versions of the colorDMD on hand.
I chose the LCD for my ToM.
LED for DW, TAF, etc...

Another vote for the ColorDMD LCD in ToM. I love mine and how versatile the modes are. The kids prefer the HIRES animation, but the Dots looks classic

#3658 1 year ago
Quoted from dq13:

Another vote for the ColorDMD LCD in ToM. I love mine and how versatile the modes are. The kids prefer the HIRES animation, but the Dots looks classic

I have mine on HIRES, it seems suitable,

#3659 1 year ago
Quoted from Gillen:

Anyone can tell me what legs that ToM came with back in the days? All I see on pictures when googling is gold legs but the flyer seems to have chromed ribbed legs. Need to order four legs for my ToM and want to keep it as original as possible.

Funny, the american flyer shows chrome, the german version shows gold: https://nypinball.com/flyers/theatre-of-magic-2/ Go with whatever you like, personally I like the legs to match the siderails, don't like when gold and stainless are mixed, but that's just me.

#3660 1 year ago
Quoted from NYP:

Funny, the american flyer shows chrome, the german version shows gold: https://nypinball.com/flyers/theatre-of-magic-2/ Go with whatever you like, personally I like the legs to match the siderails, don't like when gold and stainless are mixed, but that's just me.

Thx. I ordered some chromed ones, will look so much better than the ones currently used.

#3661 1 year ago
Quoted from altan:

The person I was replying to specifically said the ColorDMD "LED" and not the "LCD". I think the Pin2DMD compared to the ColorDMD LED is a much closer fit to the original when on.

The LED is much smoother looking and flowing which I prefer on the later pins that came with that style of DMD but I like the look of the DOTS on the LCD for the older pins which is what TOM originally came with.

It just comes down to personal preference with these displays. You will get 50% of people who like the look of one display and 50% who like another. I dont think that there is any wrong choice as long as it's a good product with good support which both Pin2DMD and ColorDMD both have.

#3662 1 year ago
Quoted from izzy:

I just received my Pin2DMD. If there is an update, will your distributor let you know or do I need to reach out to the author?
thx

If you also purchased the TOM Colorization then you should be on his mailing list and will be notified when the Update comes out so that you can download it. The author for TOM can be found here if you want to contact him directly... https://vpuniverse.com/profile/18026-netzzwerg/

#3663 1 year ago

I always hear that from a tournament standpoint, this game becomes a left orbit all day fest. Does any of the code updates (hobby wise) address this or would it be too complex? As a homeowner I never find this to be an issue, although I'm not very good!

#3664 1 year ago
Quoted from delt31:

I always hear that from a tournament standpoint, this game becomes a left orbit all day fest. Does any of the code updates (hobby wise) address this or would it be too complex? As a homeowner I never find this to be an issue, although I'm not very good!

That’s what my pro buddies tell me. Not the most fun way to play, but left orbit over and over.

#3665 1 year ago
Quoted from Cudasales:

If you also purchased the TOM Colorization then you should be on his mailing list and will be notified when the Update comes out so that you can download it. The author for TOM can be found here if you want to contact him directly... https://vpuniverse.com/profile/18026-netzzwerg/

Thx. i did contact my distributor and he said there was one ahead of TOM and I would be notified.

#3666 1 year ago
Quoted from delt31:

Check out the 2.0 ROM changes, nice options here.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-tom-software-20

#3667 1 year ago

Does anyone have an extra indestructible trunk? The $89.99 ones on eBay seem to break right away after just a few games. Any other solutions?

#3668 1 year ago

I recently Upgraded to the 2.0 ROM and it is much more enjoyable. Great features in this newer ROM set. Fixes some bugs from version 1.3.

#3669 1 year ago

Thanks - I recently installed 2.0 so it's in my machine. What I'm not following is by default, does the 2.0 fix the left orbit all day thing?

Curious how other 2.0 owners are configuring to resolve this code gap.

EDIT - seems like changing spell theatre to HARD will resolve the left orbit original code gap.

Love this game btw.

1 week later
#3670 1 year ago

I need some help! My ToM have star posts that are green, yellow, purple, red, amber and white... it's a frigging rainbow.
My guess is that back in the day an operator just quickly changed them to get the game running.

I've been reading the manual and it mention both clear and amber posts, but nowhere I see where each colour should be used. Am I missing something? Tried searching and looking at ALL pictures here but I can't really find a good answer where they should go or if that's the correct colours.

Cheers.

#3671 1 year ago
Quoted from Gillen:

I need some help! My ToM have star posts that are green, yellow, purple, red, amber and white... it's a frigging rainbow.
My guess is that back in the day an operator just quickly changed them to get the game running.
I've been reading the manual and it mention both clear and amber posts, but nowhere I see where each colour should be used. Am I missing something? Tried searching and looking at ALL pictures here but I can't really find a good answer where they should go or if that's the correct colours.
Cheers.

I've owned my TOM since 1997 (second owner) and it has all red star posts, which I have no reason to think that they weren't original from the factory. I can't imagine using the orange-ish amber on something with such a red-based playfield. I'm sure someone who is some sort of TOM "curator" will verify, but I wanted to share what I've had in mine at least from it's 2nd/3rd (depending on how you count it) year of existence.

#3672 1 year ago
Quoted from nickbuol:

I've owned my TOM since 1997 (second owner) and it has all red star posts, which I have no reason to think that they weren't original from the factory. I can't imagine using the orange-ish amber on something with such a red-based playfield. I'm sure someone who is some sort of TOM "curator" will verify, but I wanted to share what I've had in mine at least from it's 2nd/3rd (depending on how you count it) year of existence.

There are actually a couple choices on the star post colors.

The purply red vs the red-red.

They used to be listed as the correct ones for ToM.

Both look great, I bought a bunch of the original color ones and I dont remember who had them.

I think the manual lists them as amber or some kind of nonsense.

Look for the part number in the manual.

#3673 1 year ago

I have Theatre of Magic pinball and I keep having to set the game to free play. When I turn the machine off and then back on, the free play is no longer set.
Any idea as to why?

#3674 1 year ago
Quoted from rnult13:

I have Theatre of Magic pinball and I keep having to set the game to free play. When I turn the machine off and then back on, the free play is no longer set.
Any idea as to why?

Are you losing other settings? Batteries may be going bad. Upgrade to NVRAM if you have not already.

#3675 1 year ago
Quoted from Cudasales:

Are you losing other settings? Batteries may be going bad. Upgrade to NVRAM if you have not already.

Replacing the batteries fixed my issue. Thank you for the help. I am new to this machine.
There seem to be some really nice mods for TOM as well.

Thanks Again

#3676 1 year ago
Quoted from rnult13:

Replacing the batteries fixed my issue. Thank you for the help. I am new to this machine.
There seem to be some really nice mods for TOM as well.
Thanks Again

I would highly recommend that you get rid of the batteries ASAP and install a NVRAM chip. Too many boards get damaged and ruined because of the batteries. Whenever I get a pin for my personal collection the very first thing I do is eliminate the batteries and install an NVRAM chip. The NVRAMs are cheap and cost around $25.

Glad it was an easy fix

#3677 1 year ago
Quoted from Cudasales:

I would highly recommend that you get rid of the batteries ASAP and install a NVRAM chip. Too many boards get damaged and ruined because of the batteries. Whenever I get a pin for my personal collection the very first thing I do is eliminate the batteries and install an NVRAM chip. The NVRAMs are cheap and cost around $25.
Glad it was an easy fix

Replacing batteries with nvram is a good advice but beware that the soldering required is tricky and you risk ruining the cpu board if not really careful. As a person seemingly new to pins I suggest you let a professional do the RAM to NVRAM replacement for you.

#3678 1 year ago
Quoted from Lhyrgoif:

Replacing batteries with nvram is a good advice but beware that the soldering required is tricky and you risk ruining the cpu board if not really careful. As a person seemingly new to pins I suggest you let a professional do the RAM to NVRAM replacement for you.

The "Franks" coin battery mod works pretty good and doesnt require delicate skils to install.

The coin battery rarely leaks and is above the board just in case.

Works pretty good and the clock doesnt reset every time you get a power failure.

Not that the clock keeps time at all, its roughly called a clock that looses or gain time of its own accord.

Its a cool feature to see midnight madness when the clock goes to midnight on some games like ToM.

https://www.tntamusementsstore.com/wptnt/product/franks-famous-battery-board/

#3679 1 year ago

I'm in the minority here (or the silent majority, who knows)... IMHO most people, generally, should stay away installing NVRAM. Get Energizer Lithium batteries and you are good to go.

I don't have a problem with NVRAM, but I know people skilled with soldering that messed up their boards by breaking traces during the install.

NVRAM is great if you are very good at desoldering/soldering and will not miss the (infrequent) side effects such as no accurate time on TZ or no real midnight madness on those games.

#3680 1 year ago
Quoted from altan:

I'm in the minority here (or the silent majority, who knows)... IMHO most people, generally, should stay away installing NVRAM. Get Energizer Lithium batteries and you are good to go.
I don't have a problem with NVRAM, but I know people skilled with soldering that messed up their boards by breaking traces during the install.
NVRAM is great if you are very good at desoldering/soldering and will not miss the (infrequent) side effects such as no accurate time on TZ or no real midnight madness on those games.

I put more coin battery mods in than NVRAM.

The coin battery is quick and easy and sorta keeps time.

#3681 1 year ago
Quoted from altan:

Best post I've seen all year.

#3682 1 year ago

Yep, I have NVRAM on two games. Basically because I messed up the boards leaving batteries in when they went in storage when my daughter was born. Damn kids always costing me money. Anyway, one I had to replace with a new board that was slotted to take the NVRAM, the other the batteries corroded and basically the battery holder needed to come off and we had to replace with a socket for NVRAM. Nice person offered to do the soldering for me, been doing this type of work for 40 plus years. Still managed to break traces and had to jump one. My TOM I was able to clean the battery holder out and all is good for years now. Plus I understand NVRAM messes with midnight madness. So IMHO some things are just simpler to leave alone. LED all the rage in pins, yet for the older ones, you talking spending 300 plus in boards just to make them work right. Not really worth it IMHO

#3683 1 year ago

Does anyone know if Pinball Decals, Inc. is still around?
I see their website, but have received no response when I email them ([email protected]).

Thanks,
Rick

#3684 1 year ago

Does anyone know if there's an European shop where I can buy a mirrored ToM backglass?

#3685 1 year ago
Quoted from Robl45:

Plus I understand NVRAM messes with midnight madness.

NVRAM will not affect Midnight Madness as a feature of Theatre of Magic. This is based on advancing the clock in the game by shooting the right orbit and not related to the RTC (real time clock).

Midnight Madness in any other game is a feature of Dwight Sullivan games. Not all Dwight Sullivan games but a good number of them. This is based on the RTC and interrupts the game being played to enter this special mode.

The RTC is also used by Twilight Zone to display time on the clock while in attract mode as well as record the date/time stamp of things like Rule the Universe in Attack from Mars.

#3686 1 year ago
Quoted from rnult13:

Does anyone know if Pinball Decals, Inc. is still around?
I see their website, but have received no response when I email them ([email protected]).
Thanks,
Rick

As far as I know, they are still around. I've ordered from them when I bought my TOM a little over a year ago. He will eventually respond to your emails.'

Hope this helps.

#3687 1 year ago
Quoted from Lhyrgoif:

And of course, the other option to save your boards is to stay with batteries, but move the battery holder to the sidewall of the backbox. This way if your batteries do leak somehow, they won't damage any boards.

#3688 1 year ago

Does anyone have a picture of the Original TOM coin box? Mine does not have one but I have boxes of coin boxes laying around and I want to make sure that I find the correct one for TOM. All of my other pins are older Williams Sys 6 & Sys 7 games that have the old 3 slot metal coin boxes which are different than TOM.

Thanks

#3689 1 year ago
Quoted from Cudasales:

Does anyone have a picture of the Original TOM coin box? Mine does not have one but I have boxes of coin boxes laying around and I want to make sure that I find the correct one for TOM. All of my other pins are older Williams Sys 6 & Sys 7 games that have the old 3 slot metal coin boxes which are different than TOM.
Thanks

Here are my TOM coin box photos from multiple angles.

Gord

P1020602 (resized).JPGP1020602 (resized).JPG
P1020597 (resized).JPGP1020597 (resized).JPG
P1020599 (resized).JPGP1020599 (resized).JPG
P1020600 (resized).JPGP1020600 (resized).JPG
P1020601 (resized).JPGP1020601 (resized).JPG

#3690 1 year ago

Just confirming, what is needed to upgrade to 2.0? Can I just install and be done with it, or are other board mods needed?

#3691 1 year ago
Quoted from dq13:

Just confirming, what is needed to upgrade to 2.0? Can I just install and be done with it, or are other board mods needed?

Make sure you have the 539 security chip installed.

#3692 1 year ago
Quoted from dq13:

If unsure, order the matching security chip at the same time.

Tell Dave what you need he will take care of you:

https://www.pinballrom.com/

#3693 1 year ago

Good thinking

#3694 1 year ago
Quoted from GRB1959:

Here are my TOM coin box photos from multiple angles.

Thank You! That's exactly what I needed.

#3695 1 year ago
Quoted from dq13:

If you already have the 1.3 Security Chip installed, it will also work with 2.0.

FYI... Version 1.4 Security chip is NOT compatible with 2.0

#3696 1 year ago

I get you mean well, but the security chip isn't a dollar. My understanding is, if you don't have the home ROM that required a new security chip, you should be fine.

#3697 1 year ago

I have two problems I can't figure out.

1. At start I can't choose Illusion with my flippers.
I have cleaned the optos and both flipper-optos register two button presses on switch edge test, so in my world it should work. I have checked all the settings and I can't find any setting that should disable/enable it. I have TOM 2.0 firmware if that matters.

2. I have a Pin2Dmd, it works mostly great but some colors lag behind and some colors mix together incorrectly (I assume at least). Could this be because I use 2.0 firmware? Anyone with Pin2dmd and 2.0 firmware that it works perfectly?

I don't have any 1.3 firmware to test with to see if everything works as it should. :/ Maybe I should order one but thought I better check here first.

Cheers.

#3698 1 year ago
Quoted from Gillen:

I have two problems I can't figure out.
2. I have a Pin2Dmd, it works mostly great but some colors lag behind and some colors mix together incorrectly (I assume at least). Could this be because I use 2.0 firmware? Anyone with Pin2dmd and 2.0 firmware that it works perfectly?
I don't have any 1.3 firmware to test with to see if everything works as it should. :/ Maybe I should order one but thought I better check here first.
Cheers.

I have Version 2.0 and I am also using the Pin2DMD. I am not having color mixing issues but there were some others that had the issues and the Author of the TOM colorization file mentioned a few fixes here: https://vpuniverse.com/forums/topic/3977-theatre-of-magic-wip/page/6/ He is also doing an Update that will supposedly be fixing some other colors in areas that he did not spend a lot of time on.

Hope this helps!

1 week later
#3699 1 year ago
Quoted from altan:

This is accurate for some people. You run a risk of lifting a trace when de-soldering. I think many people feel the need to salvage the original RAM and try to de-solder the whole thing and remove it. You need to get over that and clip the RAM out and de-solder the pins one at a time and remove them. This eliminates 99% of the risk of lifting a trace. If you lift a trace it’s because it’s still attached while you are pulling on it. I managed to lift only one trace on FT that I had to jumper to repair. It’s on the back of the board so you can’t see it. On ToM, I cut it out then heated each socket hole individually and pulled the tabs out one at a time. Zero mistakes. Then just clean up the hole and installed a socket to make it removable. Granted, I solder electronics at a nuclear power plant with 60’s technology, but even a newbie could pull this off. To me, it’s harder to get the CPU/MPU out of the game than doing this.

#3700 1 year ago
Quoted from GreenMachine19:

This is accurate for some people. You run a risk of lifting a trace when de-soldering. I think many people feel the need to salvage the original RAM and try to de-solder the whole thing and remove it. You need to get over that and clip the RAM out and de-solder the pins one at a time and remove them. This eliminates 99% of the risk of lifting a trace. If you lift a trace it’s because it’s still attached while you are pulling on it. I managed to lift only one trace on FT that I had to jumper to repair. It’s on the back of the board so you can’t see it. On ToM, I cut it out then heated each socket hole individually and pulled the tabs out one at a time. Zero mistakes. Then just clean up the hole and installed a socket to make it removable. Granted, I solder electronics at a nuclear power plant with 60’s technology, but even a newbie could pull this off. To me, it’s harder to get the CPU/MPU out of the game than doing this.

This.

I put in nvram in 8 of my games over a period of about 2 weeks, all working fine after. Just accept the old ram chip will be scrapped and clip the legs. I had never done this type of delicate soldering before but all went good.

I use a magnifying glass that I can wear on my head, so I can see the small solder points but still have two hands free.

After soldering in the new socket I take a multimeter and measure continuity from each leg to the next point it leads to and do this on both sides of the board. This is quite easy and only take about 5 additional minutes but it will save you lots of problems if you have damaged the board somewhere as you will notice it now.

Then just slap an nvram chip in the socket and back into the backbox.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Manteca, CA
$ 38.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 130.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 275.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Sandy Springs, GA
$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 150.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
TheDudeMods

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 11.95
$ 33.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wilsonville, OR
$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
There are 4,305 posts in this topic. You are on page 74 of 87.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/theatre-of-magic-club/page/74?hl=cudasales and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.