IMG_9247 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9231 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0920 (resized).jpeg
DSCN3296 (resized).JPG
DSCN3295 (resized).JPG
DSCN3294 (resized).JPG
DSCN3293 (resized).JPG
DSCN3292 (resized).JPG
There are 4,305 posts in this topic. You are on page 70 of 87.
#3451 2 years ago
Quoted from EZ-Rhino:

All - I need some advice on fixes for a really "loose" trap door meaning that the pivoting from side-to-side is getting really excessive and just feels like there is way to much play in the hardware. I believe all ToMs have this issue to some degree (I've seen this issue on a lot of machines) but mine is getting extremely loose and is creating, in my opinion, excess playfield wear at the edges of the trap door. I was considering the Cliffy protector (carbon fiber piece) but that (1) won't cover the existing damage (or further protect the areas at issue) and (2) otherwise doesn't do anything to address the underlying issue. I'm thinking the entire trap door assembly probably needs to be rebuilt including new coils and sleeves but was hoping for a less labor-intensive fix. Also, if anyone has advice on the best manner to touch up the affected playfield areas and a means to further protect those areas in the future that would be much appreciated. See attached photos. Thanks!
[quoted image][quoted image]

I would use a good pen or paint to redo the outlines and then cut some mylar and put it around the hole to prevent further wear.

I'm not sure rebuilding the trapdoor assembly will make anything better as most if not all games have the same behavior.

#3452 2 years ago
Quoted from Lhyrgoif:

I would use a good pen or paint to redo the outlines and then cut some mylar and put it around the hole to prevent further wear.
I'm not sure rebuilding the trapdoor assembly will make anything better as most if not all games have the same behavior.

Appreciate the tip... I'll give it a try. I wish someone over the years was able to come up with a mod that would fix this issue since it is endemic to basically all ToMs... oh well.

#3453 2 years ago
Quoted from EZ-Rhino:

Appreciate the tip... I'll give it a try. I wish someone over the years was able to come up with a mod that would fix this issue since it is endemic to basically all ToMs... oh well.

Looks somewhat like what happens with the NGG slam ramp. Maybe just and just put some felt under the ramp to stop the wear. I was told many years ago that the amount of play the game gets at home isn't going to wear much anyway. I can't imagine it is wearing like that from playing at home.

#3454 2 years ago

I have the magic (pins)

Theatre arrived on Friday and then a trial by fire in a 20 player tournament the Saturday!

20220128_212955 (resized).jpg20220128_212955 (resized).jpg

Few queries, I've got a tiger saw mod to install. The rom with it says 1.4 , is this the same as 1.4h ?
Is there a list of changes?

Our Tom currently has 1.3.

Any fixes for the trunk going out of alignment?

Cheers all!

#3455 2 years ago
Quoted from DaveTheTrain:

I have the magic (pins)
Theatre arrived on Friday and then a trial by fire in a 20 player tournament the Saturday!
[quoted image]
Few queries, I've got a tiger saw mod to install. The rom with it says 1.4 , is this the same as 1.4h ?
Is there a list of changes?
Our Tom currently has 1.3.
Any fixes for the trunk going out of alignment?
Cheers all!

Use the ROM that came with the kit.

Check the opto interupter under the trunk/clean the optos. Most of us have put in the aluminum one for stability,

#3456 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Use the ROM that came with the kit.
Check the opto interupter under the trunk/clean the optos. Most of us have put in the aluminum one for stability,

I intend to use it just curious if there's a list of changes..

Also I believe I need a new u22 for this from? I get mixed results when I google this, some people say they needed one and others say it worked without having to change it.
At least it's in a socket!
20220131_083057 (resized).jpg20220131_083057 (resized).jpg

I'll take a look at the trunk but I thought i read this was a common issue and there was a mod that stopped the trunk moving when being hit so it doesn't go out of position?

Any advice? ,

#3457 2 years ago

Hey guys, need alittle help with my theatre. Attached is a video of whats happening. Trust still moves fine. Once in a while this happens.

#3458 2 years ago
Quoted from Ranpastrana:

Hey guys, need alittle help with my theatre. Attached is a video of whats happening. Trust still moves fine. Once in a while this happens.

Watched this for 15 seconds with sound off at work - from what I saw I could try to do the 'trunk test' and make sure that eveyrthing works out on the trunk test (it seems your game believes the trunk is in another spot). I would then check the opto interruptor on the trunk board (typically either black plastic or silver aluminum disc). If it's the plastic one, it might be cracked.

Either way, make sure when the trunk turns the interruptor is in the correct spot according to the trunk test.

#3459 2 years ago
Quoted from isJ:

Watched this for 15 seconds with sound off at work - from what I saw I could try to do the 'trunk test' and make sure that eveyrthing works out on the trunk test (it seems your game believes the trunk is in another spot). I would then check the opto interruptor on the trunk board (typically either black plastic or silver aluminum disc). If it's the plastic one, it might be cracked.
Either way, make sure when the trunk turns the interruptor is in the correct spot according to the trunk test.

This is mine

20220131_100249 (resized).jpg20220131_100249 (resized).jpg
#3460 2 years ago

Looks like its rubbing quite a bit, either way the gap should in the interrupter should be aligned to match the picture displayed the trunk test -- that's where I would start.

#3462 2 years ago

Its started working fine all of a sudden lol

#3463 2 years ago

joined the club recently, traded for a nice JP Premium, and I have what looks like an undocumented HUO, nice condition, but who knows, it's 25 years old. Plays great, subway pop-up eject sounds a little squeaky, so maybe it needs a little oil (that's a joke, I'll get under and check everything). It came with the rotating saw mod (still in the box) and two really cool (and artistic) tiger figures. I'm not sure if those tigers are meant to go under the glass or if they are just an accessory (maybe a topper). Anyway, glad to get another WPC back in the collection, as much as I love them, having the classics get gobbled up in my collection by new Sterns was starting to not feel right! Any specific topics or issues I should be aware of, would love the advice, I'll dig back through this forum topic, but that's going to take some time.

#3464 2 years ago

Also I believe I need a new u22 for this from? I get mixed results when I google this, some people say they needed one and others say it worked without having to change it.
[quoted image]
I'll take a look at the trunk but I thought i read this was a common issue and there was a mod that stopped the trunk moving when being hit so it doesn't go out of position?
Any advice? ,

The Leon trunk fix board is very good, however Soren has addressed trunk behavior in a new ROM over at Planetary Pinball.

Get a new security chip and the version 2.0 ROM here:

https://mattsbasementarcade.com/product/theatre-of-magic-pinball-cpu-rom-1-3-u6-bally-williams-eprom/

With version 2.0 you get tons of much needed updates and you may not need the trunk fix board.

#3465 2 years ago

Odd question here, anybody ever get the Mortal Kombat screen while playing? I saw it once when I was playing but didnt know what the......

#3466 2 years ago

[quoted image]
Any advice? ,

This one works great! Also I'd replace the black plastic disk with the aluminum one.

Screenshot_20220131-105457_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20220131-105457_Chrome (resized).jpg
#3467 2 years ago
Quoted from Skatewake:

Odd question here, anybody ever get the Mortal Kombat screen while playing? I saw it once when I was playing but didnt know what the......

Hold right flipper on pushing start button and complete THEATRE

#3468 2 years ago
Quoted from Mischa:

Hold right flipper on pushing start button and complete THEATRE

I will try that out.

Thanks

#3469 2 years ago

The Leon trunk fix board is very good, however Soren has addressed trunk behavior in a new ROM over at Planetary Pinball.
Get a new security chip and the version 2.0 ROM here:
https://mattsbasementarcade.com/product/theatre-of-magic-pinball-cpu-rom-1-3-u6-bally-williams-eprom/
With version 2.0 you get tons of much needed updates and you may not need the trunk fix board.

I have the tiger saw mod so require 1.4
Ordered a trunk fix board by Stumblor (which is based on the same design as Leons one)

Quoted from Captainhook:

This one works great! Also I'd replace the black plastic disk with the aluminum one.
[quoted image]

Isn't that just a replacement for the old board? Does it change anything?

Black plastic disc?I still haven't explored under the pf yet but I'm preparing an order of bits (already need a new trunk) so I'll order this disk if I can find out what it is...

#3470 2 years ago

Worked for me!

Screenshot_20220131-211534_eBay (resized).jpgScreenshot_20220131-211534_eBay (resized).jpgScreenshot_20220131-211805_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20220131-211805_Chrome (resized).jpg
#3471 2 years ago

Ordered a trunk fix board by Stumblor (which is based on the same design as Leons one)

Black plastic disc?I still haven't explored under the pf yet but I'm preparing an order of bits (already need a new trunk) so I'll order this disk if I can find out what it is...

The original black plastic opto interruptor disc is beneath the trunk and it will crack/break sooner or later, it's very common. Get the replacement interruptor made of steel to save yourself future trouble.

#3472 2 years ago
Quoted from Lhyrgoif:

The original black plastic opto interruptor disc is beneath the trunk and it will crack/break sooner or later, it's very common. Get the replacement interruptor made of steel to save yourself future trouble.

Ordered one thanks for the heads up!

Gave it a good clean up, need to get new lane plastics as they are broken

20220201_162512 (resized).jpg20220201_162512 (resized).jpg

#3473 2 years ago

Version 2.0 ROM includes the tiger saw mod.

It also addresses the trunk issues.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-tom-software-20#post-6625394

However the trunk fix boards still work fine with 2.0 as well as colorDMD.

#3474 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:Version 2.0 ROM includes the tiger saw mod.
It also addresses the trunk issues.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-tom-software-20#post-6625394
However the trunk fix boards still work fine with 2.0 as well as colorDMD.

I only just learnt about 2.0, how annoying!

I put in my 1.4H rom and the game works fine. I didn't have to get a new u22 security chip, is this normal?
I had 1.3 in it before and googling it told me that to use 1.4 I'd need a new u22

My board isn't the original wpc one, could that have an impact?

#3475 2 years ago

You only need a new security chip if someone (you or otherwise) previously used a custom ROM that required a non-original security chip.

Put another way, if you were running an official rom before, you don't need to change your security chip.

#3476 2 years ago

Something I forget to mention...
A few times I've had the music stop playing then eventually come back when you start a different mode or ball.
Today it was during tiger saw or vanish multiball.
What would cause this? Anything to check or worry about?

Quoted from altan:

You only need a new security chip if someone (you or otherwise) previously used a custom ROM that required a non-original security chip.
Put another way, if you were running an official rom before, you don't need to change your security chip.

I was running 1.3x, but put 1.4h in, which just worked, even though this forum said you need a different u22.
I suppose if that worked then 2.0 will?

#3477 2 years ago

Something I forget to mention...
A few times I've had the music stop playing then eventually come back when you start a different mode or ball.
Today it was during tiger saw or vanish multiball.
What would cause this? Anything to check or worry about?

I was running 1.3x, but put 1.4h in, which just worked, even though this forum said you need a different u22.
I suppose if that worked then 2.0 will?

2.0 is an official release sorta...

I purchased a new matching security chip when I bought the 2.0 ROM, it was recommended somewhere...

The outlane ball saver clinched it for me, as too many times the magnet didnt stop the ball.
Now if that happens you get a new ball in play via the shooter lane.

#3478 2 years ago

Installed the motorized saw blade tonight. Seems to power on when the ball goes through the lanes at the top, but not going to worry about it, running 1.3 right now, have 2.0 coming.

More importantly, what do I do with this tiger (in the picture). Currently sitting on the backbox but I suspect it could be put under the glass based on the size (and that was the original purpose). Would need some modifications (like cutting the rear half off!), has anybody done this?

82B81B1E-09FC-49EE-8A17-C8FA06D55314 (resized).jpeg82B81B1E-09FC-49EE-8A17-C8FA06D55314 (resized).jpeg
#3479 2 years ago

Where is the basement trapdoor kickout supposed to fire the ball?

Mine hits the left of the right flipper and on some occasions the tip or even sdtm.

Everything looks and feels secure so I'm not sure if it requires adjustment.
Hard mech to get to as well,

#3480 2 years ago

Where is the basement trapdoor kickout supposed to fire the ball?
Mine hits the left of the right flipper and on some occasions the tip or even sdtm.
Everything looks and feels secure so I'm not sure if it requires adjustment.
Hard mech to get to as well,

Have had three ToMs. First two both fired to the left flipper every time. This one was so inconsistent I literally bent it to shoot into the right sling so it doesn't drain down the middle every 4th time. I think that the bracket gets worn and the track allows for wiggle room as the coil fires and the little guiding tab slides up metal over and over. I haven't purchased the $120 bracket, but I did purchase the new arm and that didn't do anything to fix the problem.

#3481 2 years ago

2.0 is an official release sorta...
I purchased a new matching security chip when I bought the 2.0 ROM, it was recommended somewhere...
The outlane ball saver clinched it for me, as too many times the magnet didnt stop the ball.
Now if that happens you get a new ball in play via the shooter lane.

I have been on 1.4H for years (like day it came out). Do we need the new security chip or old one. I don't remember if I ever changed the security chip, but I feel like I might have.

#3482 2 years ago
Quoted from Robl45:

I have been on 1.4H for years (like day it came out). Do we need the new security chip or old one. I don't remember if I ever changed the security chip, but I feel like I might have.

Sounds like for 2.0, need the old security chip. 1.4 is the only version needing the new security chip. At least per Matt’s Arcade basement website.

#3483 2 years ago
Quoted from RobbyIRL5:

Sounds like for 2.0, need the old security chip. 1.4 is the only version needing the new security chip. At least per Matt’s Arcade basement website.

Yes, the custom "patched" ROM needed a special security chip.

All official ROMs "should" just use the original security chip as a drop in replacement.

#3484 2 years ago

So I need to swap the old security chip back then assuming I could find it or buy a new one?

#3485 2 years ago
Quoted from Robl45:

So I need to swap the old security chip back then assuming I could find it or buy a new one?

I couldnt find my original, so I bought a new one.

#3486 2 years ago

Yes, the custom "patched" ROM needed a special security chip.
All official ROMs "should" just use the original security chip as a drop in replacement.

But this is my point, going by this apparently I needed a new security chip, yet I went from 1.3 to 1.4h without changing anything except the rom. Apparently that's not supposed to happen.

Or am I misunderstanding, mine was a whole new ROM and not my old one patched?

#3487 2 years ago

But this is my point, going by this apparently I needed a new security chip, yet I went from 1.3 to 1.4h without changing anything except the rom. Apparently that's not supposed to happen.
Or am I misunderstanding, mine was a whole new ROM and not my old one patched?

I think the 1.4h was the custom ROM. It was supposed to use the 1.4h security chip.

It was free play only, or a "home" ROM.

All other ROM revisions can use the original G10 ver 1.0 security chip from what I understand.

#3488 2 years ago

Well I must be the exception as I switched between them without changing u22!

I do have a replacement CPU board that's not original Williams, I wonder if that makes any difference?

I'm just hoping this means I can get 2.0 and not have to track down an old u22 as I had 1.3 originally.

Another question, to the right of my trunk I have a metal post but not the mini post (02-3905) type like on the left, the manual shows it should be a mini post.
Any idea why it's different? I assume to stop balls from getting past it, but I still get stuck balls if the trunk is moving.
They're just harder to get out in a ball search (so I cut the rubber slightly to allow more space).
I feel the original mini post would leave more room to let the ball drop out in ball search.

I saw a few pictures where people had this post but most appear to use the mini post.

#3489 2 years ago

Well I must be the exception as I switched between them without changing u22!
I do have a replacement CPU board that's not original Williams, I wonder if that makes any difference?
I'm just hoping this means I can get 2.0 and not have to track down an old u22 as I had 1.3 originally.

It will either work, or it wont I imagine.

I dont have an after market board, so I can only guess.

#3490 2 years ago
Quoted from PittPin:

I am still having a problem hooking up the Tiger Saw and Marquee. I tried using an external power supply. I had one in use already to light some speaker lights. The Tiger Saw has a controller board that had a black wire going to ground and a red wire that was hooked to TP1 for power. So I clipped the red wire and black wires and connected them to the 12 v external power supply. The power supply is plugged into a smart power strip that turns it on when the game is turned on. The problem that I have is that the saw starts spinning as soon as it gets power and does not stop. I thought TP1 supplied 12V constantly to the controller board and that hooking it up to the power supply would work the same. So anyone else hooked up the Saw and Marquee different from the TP1 power connection?
In Post 3295 I asked:
i have a question for you guys that have added the tiger saw/lit marquee mod to your game. The installation instructions call for getting 12 v by clipping the alligator clip to TP1. I did this and it works, but I don't like the idea of the clip on the power driver board. Has anyone picked up 12v for this mod from another location?
Response:
Your best bet is to route it through an external power supply.

Did you ever figure this out? I’m with you on not clipping to a test point. If you have a link to what you used, would appreciate it!

#3491 2 years ago

Where do you guys get your balls? I have Kens mirror glazed from like 20 years ago, and he ain't making them anymore. Does anyone recommend a good source?

#3492 2 years ago
Quoted from RobbyIRL5:

Did you ever figure this out? I’m with you on not clipping to a test point. If you have a link to what you used, would appreciate it!

I believe the problem is that point TP1 is the part that runs the tiger saw with the modified ROM.

#3493 2 years ago
Quoted from Robl45:

I believe the problem is that point TP1 is the part that runs the tiger saw with the modified ROM.

I don't know if you have seen this or not, but it may help you out. I have the Tom Callahan Tiger Saw mod installed on my TOM and also the new 2.0 ROM version upgraded by @soren. The URL below contains my journey and how it all works including instructions for installing the Tiger Saw mod kit correctly.

Gord

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-williams-and-bally-software-upgrades?tq=&tu=grb1959

#3494 2 years ago
Quoted from GRB1959:

I don't know if you have seen this or not, but it may help you out. I have the Tom Callahan Tiger Saw mod installed on my TOM and also the new 2.0 ROM version upgraded by soren. The URL below contains my journey and how it all works including instructions for installing the Tiger Saw mod kit correctly.
Gord
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-williams-and-bally-software-upgrades?tq=&tu=grb1959

Thanks for the link! I bought the exact same mod for my game.
I may have the instructions, somewhere.....

I was thinking of rebuilding my mod kit !

#3495 2 years ago

Hey everyone. Joined the club yesterday but she needs some work. Can someone give me the part # for this post? It’s missing on mine and I’m not sure which one it is in the manual. Thanks!

B49A7759-D5FC-484D-9276-7ACE8566E8C5 (resized).jpegB49A7759-D5FC-484D-9276-7ACE8566E8C5 (resized).jpeg
#3496 2 years ago
Quoted from SFBP36:

Hey everyone. Joined the club yesterday but she needs some work. Can someone give me the part # for this post? It’s missing on mine and I’m not sure which one it is in the manual. Thanks!
[quoted image]

First of all you can get the manual here ..... https://www.ipdb.org/files/2845/Bally_1995_Theatre_of_Magic_Manual.pdf

as for the post, I have seen different post used in this location. I've see the Single Post Mini Bumper 02-4660 being used. I have seen the post that you use as well but if you look in the manual (page 2-33) you wont see your post listed. So it tells me your post is probably not the original one. The one I have seen the most is 02-4659-1 Mini Post .... and it's in the manual. Just not sure which one is right!

Back to your question, here's the post you're looking at https://www.pinballlife.com/williamsbally-1-metal-post-with-groove.html
If you go with this post you will also need the screw to hold it in place. You'll also want to check on the underside of the playfield to make sure the t-nut is still there.

#3497 2 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

First of all you can get the manual here ..... https://www.ipdb.org/files/2845/Bally_1995_Theatre_of_Magic_Manual.pdf
as for the post, I have seen different post used in this location. I've see the Single Post Mini Bumper 02-4660 being used. I have seen the post that you use as well but if you look in the manual (page 2-33) you wont see your post listed. So it tells me your post is probably not the original one. The one I have seen the most is 02-4659-1 Mini Post .... and it's in the manual. Just not sure which one is right!
Back to your question, here's the post you're looking at https://www.pinballlife.com/williamsbally-1-metal-post-with-groove.html
If you go with this post you will also need the screw to hold it in place. You'll also want to check on the underside of the playfield to make sure the t-nut is still there.

Great, thanks for that. The photo is from ipdb, not mine. My game has nothing there. Makes sense that I couldn’t find it in the manual since it’s not original. I’ll go with the 02-4659-1. Thanks!

#3498 2 years ago
Quoted from SFBP36:

Great, thanks for that. The photo is from ipdb, not mine. My game has nothing there. Makes sense that I couldn’t find it in the manual since it’s not original. I’ll go with the 02-4659-1. Thanks!

I looked on HEP's site and he used the post that shows in the picture you posted. Let more people chime in.

#3499 2 years ago

So found a picture of my machine (it’s back East so I couldn’t look at it)……8C12F243-FCAA-4767-83F2-4A073ACA36B0 (resized).jpeg8C12F243-FCAA-4767-83F2-4A073ACA36B0 (resized).jpeg

So forget my previous post and go with your original thought.

#3500 2 years ago

The manual says 02-3905, same as on left of trunk.
Mine has the metal sleeve post like pictured earlier but a lot have the 02-3905 post.

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/02-3905

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 275.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 11.95
8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wilsonville, OR
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 33.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Wanted
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 47.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Manteca, CA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 29.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Sandy Springs, GA
€ 150.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
TheDudeMods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 4,305 posts in this topic. You are on page 70 of 87.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/theatre-of-magic-club/page/70 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.