IMG_9247 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9231 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0920 (resized).jpeg
DSCN3296 (resized).JPG
DSCN3295 (resized).JPG
DSCN3294 (resized).JPG
DSCN3293 (resized).JPG
DSCN3292 (resized).JPG
There are 4,306 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 87.
#251 10 years ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

Add me to the group.
The one thing I've noticed on a lot of these pictures...it seems that a lot of the machines are missing this:

DSC_9254.JPG 168 KB

My machine has that but is this something that was an OEM part?

#252 10 years ago
Quoted from Spencer:

Joined the club this week and picked up an absolute beautiful machine!
I should also mention the seller is top notch, very upfront and honest. Very pleased with the transaction and my new game!
Alan, hope you dont mind I borrowed a few pictures!

TOM-1.jpg 13 KB

TOM-2.jpg 239 KB

TOM-3.jpg 154 KB

TOM-4.jpg 171 KB

TOM-6.jpg 230 KB

TOM-7.jpg 277 KB

TOM-5.jpg 194 KB

Hey Spencer, I've seen that Tiger Shooter before... Very nice Theatre! Enjoy!

#253 10 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

My machine has that but is this something that was an OEM part?

To my knowledge, it's stock.

2 weeks later
#254 10 years ago

Woot! My ToM just arrived yesterday - I am now part of the club!

Excellent condition (HuO) ToM, I am now the second owner. Hopefully this weekend I will get to put a few hours of marathon play on it. Been waiting for this one to join the collection for a few years now. Unfortunately with my basement setup, I don't have room to add any more!

#256 10 years ago

Anyone ever find a place to get the Brass Tiger saw mod cheaper than $250? Also looking into the clock and Spinning card in Hat mods as well. Any comments on how they look work or where the best deals are for these mods? As long as I am at it, any current sellers have a "Brass kit" legs, side rails and lock down bar?

#257 10 years ago

I would really like to find a great looking topper for my Theatre of Magic and my Pinball Magic. Of course would have to be totally different.

#258 10 years ago
Quoted from kporter946286:

Anyone ever find a place to get the Brass Tiger saw mod cheaper than $250

Good question. Anyone have any advice on this one?

#259 10 years ago

Still got my TOM for another month, would there be any interest in a 3D model copy of the Trunk Opto wheel thing for 3D printing duplicates?

#260 10 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Still got my TOM for another month, would there be any interest in a 3D model copy of the Trunk Opto wheel thing for 3D printing duplicates?

I don't think so. They do make those in aluminum now that work great.

#261 10 years ago

Oh cool! Where does one acquire that?

#263 10 years ago

Anyone ever find a place to get the Brass Tiger saw mod cheaper than $250?

I have only found the combo mod Saw and Marquee.Pinball Decal has them at 299 .I would love to put the saw mod on mine to finish off the restoration but I have no desire to own the mirror.

#264 10 years ago
Quoted from Skypilot:

I have only found the combo mod Saw and Marquee.Pinball Decal has them at 299 .I would love to put the saw mod on mine to finish off the restoration but I have no desire to own the mirror.

I thought the same but must admit after getting the mirror I would recommend it. It adds to the game and interacts with the different phases of the game.

#265 10 years ago

How reliable or temperamental is TOM. As a first time pin owner will it drive me mad? It is such an interesting game however I don't want to be fixing it once per month.

#266 10 years ago
Quoted from violinfather:

How reliable or temperamental is TOM. As a first time pin owner will it drive me mad? It is such an interesting game however I don't want to be fixing it once per month.

You're in the wrong hobby

#267 10 years ago
Quoted from DocRotCod:

You're in the wrong hobby

Really are they that bad. Changing rubbers and bulbs is one thing but are you telling me that they will have major problems once per month even when only used lightly? So stick to NIB is what you are saying?

#268 10 years ago

No i'm saying you have to be prepared to work on these if you are going to own them. There is no rhyme or reason as to how often or how severe the breakdowns will occur.

#269 10 years ago

Really are they that bad. Changing rubbers and bulbs is one thing but are you telling me that they will have major problems once per month even when only used lightly? So stick to NIB is what you are saying?

It's hard to predict. My TOM has been fine since I got it in December. Sure, you clean it and keep it nice, but it's hard to predict when things will happen. This is Pinball, and stuff does happen, so, just be prepared for that. And, BTW, even on NIB things happen. It's a complicated mechanical beast. Most of us enjoy working on them and learning how they work.

Marc

#270 10 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

It's hard to predict. My TOM has been fine since I got it in December. Sure, you clean it and keep it nice, but it's hard to predict when things will happen. This is Pinball, and stuff does happen, so, just be prepared for that. And, BTW, even on NIB things happen. It's a complicated mechanical beast. Most of us enjoy working on them and learning how they work.
Marc

Maybe I should have been more specific in my post. I just don't want to buy something that is not working more than it is working. I realize that there are no guarantee's however I do want to play my pin. I am quite intrigued by the mechanical operation of these games and have no issue in tinkering and problem solving but I would like to play my TOM.

#271 10 years ago

TOM is a great game. The Trunk is the big mechanical assembly, but it's fairly simple, really. Everything else is just switches and solenoids, which isn't new to TOM (the trap door isn't that complicated, either...). Buy one in good shape from a private collector and you'll most likely be fine. If you run into issues, this community will help.

#272 10 years ago

Maybe I should have been more specific in my post. I just don't want to buy something that is not working more than it is working. I realize that there are no guarantee's however I do want to play my pin. I am quite intrigued by the mechanical operation of these games and have no issue in tinkering and problem solving but I would like to play my TOM.

Again, you're in the wrong hobby! ALL machines need work. If you look at all the post under TECH on Pinside you will see people looking for help on EM games as well as games that they just bought out of the box!

I have a TOM and had very good luck with it. Nothing major. I actually find changing rubbers and bulbs on the game to be harder than working on it. Some of the bulbs and rubbers aren't easily accessible!

#273 10 years ago

What game do you know of that breaks down all the time? Is there specific info you have read or are referencing? Every machine is different and sometimes its the luck of the draw. Specific to my TOM I have had to do nothing except Eddy Sensor Adj from time to time.

#274 10 years ago

I don't know of any as I am brand new to this hobby however the comments of some like "you are in the wrong hobby" does not instill confidence.

#275 10 years ago

I think the point is there is no fail safe game, there are not guarantee's. Even "newer" games are almost 20+ years old. Half the "FUN" of this hobby is fixing and maintaining the games. If you like playing pinball but don't want to fix games, then its best to play locally at your bars, pubs, bowling alley's or pinball shows. If you are serious about getting into pinball, go all the way get yourself a $1,000 System 11 and dive in head first! Unless your rich then just buy new in box with a warranty.

#276 10 years ago

We just sold our ToM to pay for another and it's one I miss a lot. Despite having quite a few toys and bits to keep running, it's one of the most low maintenance machines we have. We put one part into the machine in three years of ownership.

#277 10 years ago

I don't know of any as I am brand new to this hobby however the comments of some like "you are in the wrong hobby" does not instill confidence.

As much as you hate to turn off anyone to a hobby that you enjoy pinball is different! A lot of people want to have a pinball machine but have no desire to work on them. If that is the case then you may be in the wrong hobby unless you're willing to pay someone to fix or maintain your machine for you.

As kporter stated "its the luck of the draw". You and I can go out and buy the same machine in excellent condition but your machine may wind up with issues and mine works fine.

For a lot of people on this site fixing machines is more of a hobby than playing them. I for one love finding a machine that is non-working and bringing it back to life. I put all the time and money into the machines and then my 15 year kicks my *&* when we play!!!

This hobby gets to be addictive. Everyone starts out with one machine and the next thing you know you're driving 8 hours to pick up another and then having one shipped from 4 states away etc. It's a great hobby and one that can be very expensive but again it goes back to "do you want to learn how to work on them or not and, if not, are you going to pay someone to fix them for you". If you answer no to both of those question you may want to reconsider buying one!

#278 10 years ago

Back to my earlier question. Does anyone here have the hat/card mod, if so which one did you buy and do you like it? I want to start doing some Mods to my TOM, looking at all of them, I like the Saw/mirror, Tophat w/ card, and clock mods. Can you guys with TOM mods give me some insight. I see alot of people saying they have this one or that one but not much feedback on if it makes the experience better or if its worth doing

#279 10 years ago

Back to my earlier question. Does anyone here have the hat/card mod, if so which one did you buy and do you like it? I want to start doing some Mods to my TOM, looking at all of them, I like the Saw/mirror, Tophat w/ card, and clock mods. Can you guys with TOM mods give me some insight. I see alot of people saying they have this one or that one but not much feedback on if it makes the experience better or if its worth doing

I like the Hat Mod and purchased it from Andy Dreads. He is the one that makes them and are also the ones, I believe, Joey sells on his site PDI Pinball Decals, I really like the way the hat looks as well as interacts with the game. I did have an issue with my hat as it malfunctioned a few years after purchase but Andy was great to deal with and fixed it. After fixing it the motor in it died shortly after getting it back. Went back to Andy and he wound up just sending me a new one which I have not had issues with since (about a year now). If you come down to the Pittsburgh area and want to see it let me know!

Here is Andy's info:
Judge Dreads Pinball
[email protected]

Post edited by meSz: Added contact info

#280 10 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

A model (or scan) of the actual trunk would be even better if you have one. I would love to print some spares, maybe ABS will be more durable that whatever the repros are made out of.

#281 10 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

I like the Hat Mod and purchased it from Andy Dreads. He is the one that makes them and are also the ones, I believe, Joey sells on his site PDI Pinball Decals, I really like the way the hat looks as well as interacts with the game. I did have an issue with my hat as it malfunctioned a few years after purchase but Andy was great to deal with and fixed it. After fixing it the motor in it died shortly after getting it back. Went back to Andy and he wound up just sending me a new one which I have not had issues with since (about a year now). If you come down to the Pittsburgh area and want to see it let me know!
Here is Andy's info:
Judge Dreads Pinball
[email protected]
Post edited by meSz: Added contact info

Actually coming down tomarrow, Its my birthday today and My Twin Sister lives in Bridgeville

#282 10 years ago

Actually coming down tomarrow, Its my birthday today and My Twin Sister lives in Bridgeville

I am NE (Murrysville) of the city so it's a little bit of a drive from Bridgeville. If you get a chance and like macaroni and cheese (dont stop reading just yet) go to a place called Sauce (http://saucepgh.com/) in Bridgeville. They have a "build you own mac n cheese" plate and the stuff is great. I am actually taking my son there on Saturday for his birthday as thats where he wanted to go for lunch!

#283 10 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

I am NE (Murrysville) of the city so it's a little bit of a drive from Bridgeville. If you get a chance and like macaroni and cheese (dont stop reading just yet) go to a place called Sauce (http://saucepgh.com/) in Bridgeville. They have a "build you own mac n cheese" plate and the stuff is great. I am actually taking my son there on Saturday for his birthday as thats where he wanted to go for lunch!

I am sorry to say I am doomed to a Chuck E Cheese Birthday. Its kinda weird. My Wife is a twin as well her B-day is 03/11, My son's is 02/24 and my Twin sister's daughter is 03/14. So we are celebrating 5 Birthdays at once at Chuck E Cheese haha. We come down alot so I will make sure on my next visit we stop by Sauce!!

#284 10 years ago

I am sorry to say I am doomed to a Chuck E Cheese Birthday. Its kinda weird. My Wife is a twin as well her B-day is 03/11, My son's is 02/24 and my Twin sister's daughter is 03/14. So we are celebrating 5 Birthdays at once at Chuck E Cheese haha. We come down alot so I will make sure on my next visit we stop by Sauce!!

No problem at all and I do feel your pain as my wife, son and I have b-days on the 3rd, 7th and 9th of March. Luckily I am beyond the Chucky Cheese years!!! Best advise I can give you is to start drinking before you go and then continue to drink once your there!!!

#285 10 years ago
Quoted from Allibaster:

I've got a question for you guys.
Occasionally, maybe once every ~20 shots, a direct hard shot into the trunk will bounce right back out. I looked in there today, and there's some light adhesive where the ball hits. Maybe something belongs in there?
Does anyone else have the same issue?

Hi,
I am a recent owner of a nicely restored TOM, has LED upgrade and color DMD. Happy to chime in to the club.
Nice machine, but I am experiencing trunk issues, some seem to be addressed in previous posts, so thanks to the forum for some suggestions.

Yes - I, too, am having the ball ricochet back out on a direct shot. The trunk was raised a little by the tech because the opening to the trunk (in the 9:00 position) was too small and prevented the ball from falling into trap. Now that it is raised, the ball falls in more readily when the opening is in the side position, but now the ball ricochets out more than ever. It seems to be hitting the support rod or the bottom of the support frame. See picture. Will probably try lowering the trunk again to reach a compromise. Is the trunk normally this temperamental?

Trunk cracked after the first few plays. It was fixed with some mylar tape. Not pleased that a "brand new" trunk breaks this easily - but understand that it can be reinforced.

Trunk does not register all hits - I did have the sensor adjusted and it did help, but I notice that there will be games where the trunk gets hit repeatedly and not a sound, light or score register. Next ball, it appears to be fine.

Trunk side with the bulls eye magnet, doesn't always hold the ball. The ball will initially stick, but will fall off when the trunk moves to drop it into the trap. Other times, the ball will hit, stick for a second, then drop off and the trunk won't even move. Other games, it plays fine.

Hocus pocus magnet ball save only works on a very slow ball moving toward the outlane. A fast ball, understandably, will not be caught by the magnet, but there are some balls which should definitely work. You hear the hum of the magnet (so the mode is on) but it appears to be too weak to catch the ball.

Generally speaking, I'm very pleased with the game and it's performance, but the tyranny of the trunk is making itself known.

Question for the TOM owners: Does anyone also own an AFM? Curious if the toys and gizmos on another 1995 game also have a similar tendency to act up?
Thanks

DSC09911.jpgDSC09911.jpg
#286 10 years ago
Quoted from oldcarz:

Yes - I, too, am having the ball ricochet back out on a direct shot. The trunk was raised a little by the tech because the opening to the trunk (in the 9:00 position) was too small and prevented the ball from falling into trap. Now that it is raised, the ball falls in more readily when the opening is in the side position, but now the ball ricochets out more than ever. It seems to be hitting the support rod or the bottom of the support frame. See picture. Will probably try lowering the trunk again to reach a compromise. Is the trunk normally this temperamental?

I've had minor problems with the ball going into the scoop, hitting the bottom of the trough under the playfield, and bouncing right back up and out... but it was very infrequent.

Quoted from oldcarz:

Trunk cracked after the first few plays. It was fixed with some mylar tape. Not pleased that a "brand new" trunk breaks this easily - but understand that it can be reinforced.

I'm not surprised, and this is similar to my experience. I put some beer seal foam on the metal under the trunk, and it helped a little, but not that much.

Quoted from oldcarz:

Trunk does not register all hits - I did have the sensor adjusted and it did help, but I notice that there will be games where the trunk gets hit repeatedly and not a sound, light or score register. Next ball, it appears to be fine.

The eddy sensors can be fickle. Try turning the potentiometer fully back and forth a few times to clean that contacts, then adjust it. Use a ball on the playfield in switch test to verify that it's working.

Quoted from oldcarz:

Trunk side with the bulls eye magnet, doesn't always hold the ball. The ball will initially stick, but will fall off when the trunk moves to drop it into the trap. Other times, the ball will hit, stick for a second, then drop off and the trunk won't even move. Other games, it plays fine.

This sounds very unusual. I have never seen that happen.

Quoted from oldcarz:

Hocus pocus magnet ball save only works on a very slow ball moving toward the outlane. A fast ball, understandably, will not be caught by the magnet, but there are some balls which should definitely work. You hear the hum of the magnet (so the mode is on) but it appears to be too weak to catch the ball.
Generally speaking, I'm very pleased with the game and it's performance, but the tyranny of the trunk is making itself known.

I've seen some missed catches on the outlanes, for sure. In the audit menu of the software, the game even keeps track of how many it misses. I wish it compensated you and gave you a legit ball save...

Quoted from oldcarz:

Question for the TOM owners: Does anyone also own an AFM? Curious if the toys and gizmos on another 1995 game also have a similar tendency to act up?

I think you're just having some bad luck right now. If you get these few issues straightened out, you'll forget all about you ever had problems.

#287 10 years ago
Quoted from oldcarz:

I lined the inside of a new trunk with automotive sound deadener (e.g. Dynamat or equivalent; I purchased a single sheet of "GTmat" from Ebay) and it survived plenty of hits with no cracks.

#288 10 years ago
Quoted from oldcarz:

I, too, am having the ball ricochet back out on a direct shot.

Place a piece of foam tape 1/4 " wide x 3/4 " tall on the floor of the Trunk. It needs to be thin enough so that any balls dropping in the trunk from the back pass by it freely. I've done this and have totally eliminated the issue.

Quoted from oldcarz:

Trunk side with the bulls eye magnet, doesn't always hold the ball

Replace the magnet

#289 10 years ago

Don't let it deter you. You'll pick up stuff through reading the posts. I think most people on this site started off with no experience/knowledge.

#290 10 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

Here is Andy's info:
Judge Dreads Pinball
[email protected]

Okay so I jinxed myself.....played my TOM today and the hot mod is no longer working properly. The card is not spinning at all. Again, love the mod idea but for me this has been the most problematic mod I have had on any of my machines. I have returned the original to Andy 3 times where the 3rd time he just sent me a new one. Now the new one has failed!?!?!?!? Anyone else encounter issues with this???

1 week later
#291 10 years ago

My TOM been running with no issues since I've owned it until last week.
Now when you turn it on and let a ball fly as soon as you hit either flipper button the machine shuts down.
Has that happened to any TOM owners out there?

#292 10 years ago

Your game is reseting. Time to measure the 5v and see where it's at.

#293 10 years ago

This actually might take care of it:

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/announcing-new-product-to-help-resolve-resets-in-wpc-era-games

If so, it buys you time until you can have a proper repair done.

Marc

#294 10 years ago

Does anyone recall who sold the Wand mod? This is the wand with the lighted tip and when you get Hocus Pocus lit the wand also lights?

#295 10 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

Does anyone recall who sold the Wand mod? This is the wand with the lighted tip and when you get Hocus Pocus lit the wand also lights?

You can find it here and here - different prices and countries of origin:

ebay.com link: Theatre Of Magic Pinball Machine Mannys Floating Wand Mod And Free Apron Cards

http://pinballdecals.com/TOM_MagicWandPage.html

#296 10 years ago
Quoted from PC-Pin-NC:

You can find it here and here - different prices and countries of origin:
ebay.com link » Theatre of Magic Pinball Machine Mannys Floating Wand Mod And Free Apron Cards
http://pinballdecals.com/TOM_MagicWandPage.html

Thanks, this helped me track down my email to him purchasing it. Unfortunately the wand is no longer lighting up!

#297 10 years ago

t6.jpgt6.jpgt3.jpgt3.jpgt1.jpgt1.jpg

#298 10 years ago

Slick

#299 10 years ago

That is wicked awesome! Great idea using the scrolls!

#300 10 years ago

Beautiful

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 130.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Sandy Springs, GA
$ 47.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

€ 150.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
TheDudeMods

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 29.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 11.95
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 4,306 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 87.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/theatre-of-magic-club/page/6 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.