Topic Stats

• 2,940 posts
  • 364 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 18 minutes ago by harryhoudini
  • Topic is favorited by 162 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 780 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_20200329_150828210[1] (resized).jpg
20200314_114445 (resized).jpg
42CD3838-40BF-4F82-B9D3-C0CCC79CB50F (resized).jpeg
F72225C5-9433-4F13-97DA-5BD58B1FCC9E (resized).jpeg
IMG_4166 (resized).jpg
IMG_4164 (resized).jpg
IMG_4165 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200227_174506 (resized).jpg
theatre-of-magic-impress00a (resized).jpg
20200215_174528 (resized).jpg
20200213_081936 (resized).jpg
20200213_081930 (resized).jpg

There are 2940 posts in this topic. You are on page 53 of 59.
#2601 1 year ago

From the VUK? I’ll give it a try

#2602 1 year ago

So great to see all these posts.
Just had a nice game at the end of a hectic day. Still my number 1 machine.

20171004_171633 (resized).jpg20171006_182606 (resized).jpg
#2603 1 year ago

shiny.

#2604 1 year ago

Anyone interested in a used translite for $75 +shipping? I upgraded to the 3D one and have no further use. Picture is of the translite. The bad, it has 3 rub spots that you can see in the picture but overall in very good condition at half price of a new one! I will use the packaging from the 3D one to ship it in!

NOTE: Upon taking this out of my machine I put it in a plastic sleeve in order to protect it from rubbing against the cardboard. It's in the plastic sleeve in the picture so it will look even better once removed from the sleeve.

The three wear spots.... two are to the right of MAGIC and the third one is to the bottom right of the trunk.

IMG_0599[1] (resized).JPG
#2605 1 year ago

Archived after 139 days
Not sold
Parts - For Sale
New “Theatre of Magic Pinball Decals/Stickers: Trap door, Spirit Ring/Magnet, Spinner. $11.00 shipped (USA only)”
2019-01-03
Vienna, VA
11 (Firm)

#2607 1 year ago
Quoted from Jakusu:

So great to see all these posts.
Just had a nice game at the end of a hectic day. Still my number 1 machine.[quoted image][quoted image]

Holy crizap that’s a beauty.

#2608 1 year ago
Quoted from GreenMachine19:

Yes it’s a common problem. Remove the spring from the popper coil. No need for a spring return let gravity do the work. I had the same issue. Never came back after I pulled the spring.

Hello guys, I've got a Tom recently too and I would like to restore it! Can you please help me understand common issues like this of the popper on this pinball? I see that the left side of the left ramp ìs frequently broken too..what is the best fix for this? On my trunk assembly I've got wires repaired in a weird way..is that a weak point too?

Also I'm missing some parts of the trap door assembly..can you help me identifying the screw that holds the trap door to the plunger? It is not listed on the manual!

Thanks for your help!!

#2610 1 year ago

These look good ... are you selling them? is there a link to your store? I went to your site but it is a foreign language to me.

#2611 1 year ago

Hi Les73gtx!

Thanks for your comment!

No, I have not a store, I´m designing for my own entertainment. Let me show last card and a very special way in which I will print them and, then, we will speak again. Stay tuned!

Best regards

#2612 1 year ago
Quoted from Pesmerga:

Hello guys, I've got a Tom recently too and I would like to restore it! Can you please help me understand common issues like this of the popper on this pinball? I see that the left side of the left ramp ìs frequently broken too..what is the best fix for this? On my trunk assembly I've got wires repaired in a weird way..is that a weak point too?
Also I'm missing some parts of the trap door assembly..can you help me identifying the screw that holds the trap door to the plunger? It is not listed on the manual!
Thanks for your help!!

Bump, no one can help me understand the screw part number? It isn't in the manual or part list apparently! I add a pic of what I mean! Thanks

20181123_004430 (resized).jpg
#2613 1 year ago

Not 100% sure this is what you want but have a look at this. At least if it is the correct one you'll have a part number.

https://www.rtbb.com.au/product/machine-screw-pin-02-5161/

#2614 1 year ago
Quoted from Pesmerga:

Bump, no one can help me understand the screw part number? It isn't in the manual or part list apparently! I add a pic of what I mean! Thanks
[quoted image]

If it goes all the way through, it may be a roll pin, but if its threaded then more likely a set screw. If I get some time I'll check mine out.

#2615 1 year ago
Quoted from Pesmerga:

[quoted image]

55410D4A-1049-4FAA-8ABF-F5E7309B8A19 (resized).jpeg

Definitely a screw but not sure what size, possibly the above post.

#2616 1 year ago

Part 02-5161 on marco or pinball life...screw pin -scoop. Without taking mine out that looks to be the one, especially since its wider at the head and thinner at the end.

#2617 1 year ago

I put together another TOM replacement cab if someone wants an easy way to deal with cabinet damage...built from scratch, primed,painted,ground braided,heavy duty leg plates and decaled...cab is ready to drop your game in..the only thing I cant do (yet but its coming) is silkscreen the back box warning.

Right now I will not ship cabs, I have enough local buyers to not have to deal with shipping (some day in the future I may start shipping these) but if you are in the So Cal area and are interested shoot me a PM
Im selling these for $1,350

Better pics coming soon...

Also, I have a FT ready...same price
20181125_162146 (resized).jpg20181125_162254 (resized).jpg20181125_162302 (resized).jpg20181125_162334 (resized).jpg

Added 16 months ago:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tom-replacement-cabinet#post-4706808

Added 16 months ago:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tom-replacement-cabinet#post-4706808

2 weeks later
#2619 1 year ago

Hey everyone,

I have a bit of a mystery with my machine, and I'm hoping that I might get some ideas going here that might open my eyes to the root of this.

The F903 fuse keeps blowing on the fliptronic board, and at that time, the left magnet stops working as it should, and the left sling and left flipper can actually trigger the magnet intermittently (for example, something hitting the left flipper 3 times will trigger it, sometimes 4 times. It's seems random).

I installed the new Pinbits Eddy sensors, but I recall the issue occurring even with the stock sensors.

Anyone have any ideas as to what this might be?

Transistor? Ground issue?

Also, can anyone explain why the manual refers to "lower" and "upper" flippers?

Thanks

#2620 1 year ago
Quoted from Damien:

Hey everyone,
I have a bit of a mystery with my machine, and I'm hoping that I might get some ideas going here that might open my eyes to the root of this.
The F903 fuse keeps blowing on the fliptronic board, and at that time, the left magnet stops working as it should, and the left sling and left flipper can actually trigger the magnet intermittently (for example, something hitting the left flipper 3 times will trigger it, sometimes 4 times. It's seems random).
I installed the new Pinbits Eddy sensors, but I recall the issue occurring even with the stock sensors.
Thanks

Having similar issues i think. When the fuse blows, the trunk magnet, is dead which is my indicator. Seems to happen during multiball so hard to track what kills my game

#2621 1 year ago
Quoted from Damien:

Hey everyone,
Thanks

check all the affected switches in the switch test.
you shouldn't be getting multiple switch activations at the same time.

If you are then its a bad cable or a wire or a connector or a pc board pin or IDC connection.

Lower the time the magnet is active in the settings. On most games the magnet fuse blows if its on too long, or you test it 15-20 times in a row. It gets hot and blows the fuse. This is somewhat normal.

In your case if the magnet is incorrectly being triggered by a short, then of course the fuse will blow, as its on way more often than its supposed to be.

1 week later
#2622 1 year ago

I’m experiencing a weird problem with my TOM
As soon as I start a ball the skill shot registers and goes into whatever was first chosen, usually starts a illusion without me even plunging the ball.
The only thing I’ve done is repair a socket on the board with the Theatre letters on it
Does anyone have any ideas here?

#2623 1 year ago

Sounds like your eddy board might need to be adjusted. Look under the playfield and see if you need to adjust the board. There is a potentiometer on the small board that the eddy plugs onto. Turn it until the LED goes on, then back off just until the LED goes out.

#2624 1 year ago

I don’t think it’s the eddy as it’ll start whatever option is first lot so sometimes it’s advance clock or 2x combo.
Also when the 2nd ball is locked a ball pops out of the trunk instead of plunging a third ball, therefore it becomes a 2 ball multiball

#2625 1 year ago

If the eddy sensor is slight off on adjustment it would start your skill shot when you plunge the ball. If the LED light on the board is on when you plunge, it thinks a ball is at the trunk, which means it thinks you hit the skill shot (could be advance clock, bonus 2x, etc, whatever you are on when you plunge). I'm not saying it is definitly your problem, but it is easy enough to check.

After thinking about it, your second problem sounds like it is the eddy sensor as well. You lock 2 balls. If the eddy sensor is registering a third ball at the trunk it would start your multiball even though the third ball is not there. The eddy sensor might need adjusting or replacement, but I am convinced that is the problem.

#2626 1 year ago

Okay it’s certainly worth checking as now even the music sequence for multiball is now incorrect. I do still have to hit a third ball onto the magnet but there is now a delay then no music

#2627 1 year ago

Tested the trunk eddy sensor and seems to be fine

#2628 1 year ago
Quoted from allsportdvd:

Tested the trunk eddy sensor and seems to be fine

Odd. Sorry, that's all I've got. Good luck and make sure you post the solution when you figure it out.

#2629 1 year ago

Hello , I have been a TOM for a few days.
I wanted to ask what rom you propose me to put on?

#2630 1 year ago
Quoted from allsportdvd:

Okay it’s certainly worth checking as now even the music sequence for multiball is now incorrect. I do still have to hit a third ball onto the magnet but there is now a delay then no music

Sounding more like a ribbon cable problem ... my suggestions are start with reseating all the ribbon cables, while you have them off inspect for any damage, these will not take any kind of damage well so even slight things like scrapes and folds can be a problem.
Next try reseating the involved connectors with the eddy boards and also on the driver board.
With my ToM I found that the 5V regulator was not in spec so I replaced that and a lot of my strange ghost problems went away and allowed me to find the other real problems like dirty and bad optos

remember it is 35 years old and may not have had a great life so some TLC is normally needed

#2631 1 year ago
Quoted from Les73gtx:

Sounding more like a ribbon cable problem ... my suggestions are start with reseating all the ribbon cables, while you have them off inspect for any damage, these will not take any kind of damage well so even slight things like scrapes and folds can be a problem.
Next try reseating the involved connectors with the eddy boards and also on the driver board.
With my ToM I found that the 5V regulator was not in spec so I replaced that and a lot of my strange ghost problems went away and allowed me to find the other real problems like dirty and bad optos
remember it is 35 years old and may not have had a great life so some TLC is normally needed

Thanks mate
Didn’t realise TOM was made in 1983! All jokes aside I’ve been reseating the lamp board connector that houses all the Magic & Theatre letters and the problems seem to have subsided.

#2632 1 year ago
Quoted from allsportdvd:

Thanks mate
Didn’t realise TOM was made in 1983! All jokes aside I’ve been reseating the lamp board connector that houses all the Magic & Theatre letters and the problems seem to have subsided.

Time for new cables and header pins. It only been 25 years... lol

#2633 1 year ago

Theatre Of Magic revisited. A new mod created from scratch, featuring new stuff…

A basement award scheme for competition play.
Compensation outlane saver for when the magnets fail to divert the ball to inlane.
And a harder Spell theatre rule, requiring additional shots than just the left orbit.

Oh, and the Trunk now do not go into error state under normal conditions of play.

Plus the combo and bonus-x features of the previous mod are now tweakable in feature adjustements.

Special thanks to Lars, Jim Belsito and Steve Bowden.

Further info and download link...

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-theatre-of-magic-software-mod-version-2

#2634 1 year ago
Quoted from soren:

Theatre Of Magic revisited. A new mod created from scratch, featuring new stuff…
Compensation outlane saver for when the magnets fail to divert the ball to inlane.
And a harder Spell theatre rule, requiring additional shots than just the left orbit.
Oh, and the Trunk now do not go into error state under normal conditions of play.
Plus the combo and bonus-x features of the previous mod are now tweakable in feature adjustements.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-theatre-of-magic-software-mod-version-2

Wow, this is big!

#2635 1 year ago
Quoted from allsportdvd:

Thanks mate

Glad to help ... lol either my fat fingers or the new math take your pick ... I would invest in a set of ribbon cables

#2636 1 year ago

Was reading somewhere here recently of a upper flipper fuse blowing. I had the same thing happen to me and believe I found the issue. On my game the trunk and left magna save eddys were out of adjustment. On power on they were off, but once triggered they remained on or were definitely flakey. I think the trunk Eddy would sometimes remain on when the magnet was activated and hence drew too much power. I adjusted both seeing they both were flakey and not had an issuein many games. They may need a little more sensitivity but I'm still in the testing phase to make sure no fuses blow. I think f903 was going on me

#2637 1 year ago
Quoted from soren:

Thanks, Soren for this great new version of ToM Software!

I was happy to be able to support you by beta testing and I really like this new mod.

The new options for gameplay and balancing are great, but two things I really like:

- ball saver for hokus pocus failing magnets
- trunk fix which really works unbelievable well and does not block the incentive for a fast shot...

Thanks for all your efforts and this great update for the ToM!

Lars

#2638 1 year ago

hello
I need your help please. I have a weird problem.
When the indicator “ball lock” lights up, when I send the ball there, it doesn’t lock the ball but it goes from the drop port and the program doesn’t continue right and doesn’t give multiball.

I made all the tests and all the switches work well, and the boards and fuses seem okey. What could be the problem?

#2639 1 year ago
Quoted from ababapanos:

hello
I need your help please. I have a weird problem.
When the indicator “ball lock” lights up, when I send the ball there, it doesn’t lock the ball but it goes from the drop port and the program doesn’t continue right and doesn’t give multiball.
I made all the tests and all the switches work well, and the boards and fuses seem okey. What could be the problem?

A couple things come to mind.

I know you said the tests work and switches work well, but test the opto switch in the back of the trunk inside. Just put it in switch test and move a pencil in there. I've had to clean my sensors several times when I've had the same symptoms. I've only had to replace them once, when they were super old.

Check the switches in the subway to the scoop.

#2640 1 year ago

thank you very much for the answer.
can you please show me the opto switch back in thank ? because I do not know where is it...

535C9885-6D19-4F42-8E01-D231822F7AD5 (resized).jpeg65C5806B-6DA3-43E4-A388-FBA5DEB1B6C8 (resized).jpegAEEC93C8-E2E9-4AA3-994E-E8AD3CFB4A7C (resized).jpegBAFD72A7-F178-4A10-8D62-F1453D55658A (resized).jpeg
#2641 1 year ago
Quoted from ababapanos:

thank you very much for the answer.
can you please show me the opto switch back in thank ? because I do not know where is it...[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

From the top of the playfield, if you look into the trunk through the opening (or if you take the trunk plastic off it's easier to see), you'll see a transmitter/emitter element and a receiver element, one on one side of the trunk and one on the other. They are mounted behind holes through the trunk assembly, little PCBs. Essentially, an electric eye that detects when a ball falls into the trunk.

I was able to use a cotton swab and some isopropyl alcohol and clean them and get some more use out of them, but unfortunately those little electronics and sometimes get old an unreliable. This might not be the cause of your problem, but it was for me. A simple test is to "break" the electric beam with a pinball during switch test and make sure it's detecting properly as a ball falls into the trunk.

One thing to remember is that the software of the game depends on things happening in a certain order...so if you hit that beam first, then the subway switch next, the game presumes something has happened. Sometimes the switch test is only useful if you know all the switches in a chain that trigger an event. Unfortunately that's not documented anywhere, but you can figure it out manually (start the game, trigger the switches, etc). This is why for ball troughs, if only one opto in a series of optos is broken, you get weird behavior... because you roll balls into the trough and it seems to register but you get things like double ball kicks into the shooter lane, etc. Complex software really!

#2642 1 year ago

thank you again.
I found the opto switches in the trunk ,but I did the test and they also function normally.
really very strange what happens...

Also, something that does not work properly is when it turns the trunk to the target selection that has the magnet. The game asks you to shoot at the trunk, but when the ball strikes the magnet does not turn on. but I tested it in the tests and the magnet of trunk it works correctly even though the game is not activated.

what conclusion do you get out of all of this? does the problem is ROM?

#2643 1 year ago
Quoted from ababapanos:

thank you again.
I found the opto switches in the trunk ,but I did the test and they also function normally.
really very strange what happens...
Also, something that does not work properly is when it turns the trunk to the target selection that has the magnet. The game asks you to shoot at the trunk, but when the ball strikes the magnet does not turn on. but I tested it in the tests and the magnet of trunk it works correctly even though the game is not activated.
what conclusion do you get out of all of this? does the problem is ROM?

Check the trunk eddy with a ball.

Start reseating all of the connectors on all the boards in the backbox.

Press all the wires into all of the IDC connectors with a credit card.

Be on the lookout for any loose, burnt or corroded connections or pins.

There are quite a few, take your time.

#2644 1 year ago

I will do them too, but I am starting to lose my hopes..

here are some videos I did, and they helped me to something...

#2645 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Check the trunk eddy with a ball.
Start reseating all of the connectors on all the boards in the backbox.
Press all the wires into all of the IDC connectors with a credit card.
Be on the lookout for any loose, burnt or corroded connections or pins.
There are quite a few, take your time.

Is the eddy pcb light on all the time?

#2646 1 year ago

I'll look at it again, but it seems to be light on all the time...

#2647 1 year ago
Quoted from ababapanos:

I'll look at it again, but it seems to be light on all the time...

That means the switch is stuck on. You need to adjust it so it goes off and only on when the ball makes the circuit or goes over the eddy. Try that and so how you go. You must need to do finer adjustments once you solve the initial issue

#2648 1 year ago

I found the problem!!!
had broken the STOP BALL FEEDER ASSY
cc3723a556b71dee8bfa48854ecd8724 (resized).jpg
I made it and now the ball is locked.

The only problem now is that when turning the TRUNK on the magnet target, the magnet do not turn on it hits the ball
the strange is in the tests the magnet of TRUNK works normally.
What Can It Happen?

#2649 1 year ago

Hi again

I set the eddy sensor and now it works, but the magnet of Trunk , when it pulls the ball leaves it as if it does not have enough power. what can I do about it?

#2650 1 year ago

one more thing, today the ΤΟΜ does not open, I looked at the backyard and I saw a fuse burned from the board fliptronic II controller (F903)

This is the reason does not open; I still wanted to ask what type FUSE to put? in the manual he writes 3A SB, but in the burning fuse writes 10A

what is right to do?

thanks again!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 28.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 28.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
There are 2940 posts in this topic. You are on page 53 of 59.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside