IMG_9247 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9231 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0920 (resized).jpeg
DSCN3296 (resized).JPG
DSCN3295 (resized).JPG
DSCN3294 (resized).JPG
DSCN3293 (resized).JPG
DSCN3292 (resized).JPG
There are 4,305 posts in this topic. You are on page 43 of 87.
#2101 6 years ago
Quoted from Videogod:

A lot of of us have had this problem, and this is the best fix (in my opinion). Glue a very small piece of foam as shown. The ball will rest on the foam instead of the post. Then when the trunk rotates, the ball will just glide off of the foam to freedom!

As this method maybe an easy fix; a cleaner version would be the leon board fix. I have it in my game and whenever a ball gets stuck up there (or any stucky) and the game goes into ball search the board tells the motor control board to spin the trunk the opposite direction thus effortlessly and seamlessly putting the ball back into play.

Link to the board: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tom-trunk-error-leons-fix-anyone-done-this/page/13#post-3626374

#2102 6 years ago
Quoted from german-pinball:

The flasher voltage is 20V, so you need a resistor of 1K with at least 1W.

Do you know if it is possible to connect 2 flashers to the same bulb socket? I could run a 2nd flasher in parallel by just connecting a set of wires from positive to positive and negative to negative of the original bulb socket and to the flasher in the wand...

#2103 6 years ago
Quoted from german-pinball:

The flasher voltage is 20V, so you need a resistor of 1K with at least 1W.

Do you know if it is possible to connect 2 flashers to the same bulb socket? I could run a 2nd flasher in parallel by just connecting a set of wires from positive to positive and negative to negative of the original bulb socket and to the flasher in the wand...

Quoted from Cserold:Like others have said, just depends what you care about and what your restoration skills and timeline are. I used a mirco for this full restore shown here and think it turned out nice. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/theatre-of-magic-full-restoration-pics#post-3950975
I would be more worried about predrilling existing holes in top of playfield to prevent clearcoat lifting and cracking. Especially ball guide insert holes

Good point about drilling clearcoat.

Looking at the restore link that you provided and the nice clear image of the playfield, the red slingshot plastics stand out to me (just because I am not used to seeing it not against the red playfield at that location), but the purple inlane plastics actually look great against the purple background.

#2104 6 years ago

will the 3d tiger work with the tiger saw mod?

#2105 6 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

How many people would get this mod if made?
» YouTube video
The designer made up a few of them a couple years ago. I think its really good!

This is my game. This mod is incredible! Maybe Andre (great guy) will made more. I'll ask

#2106 6 years ago
Quoted from Cheese_WizardPQ:

This is my game. This mod is incredible! Maybe Andre (great guy) will made more. I'll ask

Its a beautiful mod, I would get one if he would like to make a few more.

#2107 6 years ago
Quoted from robotron:

will the 3d tiger work with the tiger saw mod?

Yes, our tigers will work with the tiger saw mods.

We are working on the opaque tiger, very close to having done. We will have the option of what color eyes you would like, blue, white, red, orange and green.

Dan

#2108 6 years ago

Its a beautiful mod, I would get one if he would like to make a few more.

All hand painted. I talked to him this morning. Pretty confident he will do more. Just be patient!

IMG_0015 (resized).JPGIMG_0015 (resized).JPG

IMG_0017 (resized).JPGIMG_0017 (resized).JPG

IMG_0016 (resized).JPGIMG_0016 (resized).JPG

#2109 6 years ago
Quoted from Cheese_WizardPQ:

All hand painted. I talked to him this morning. Pretty confident he will do more. Just be patient!

Awesome mod! Im in if it gets done.
Way better than the last offering I think.

#2110 6 years ago

i would buy one as they become available
tom is one of my keepers and i want to buy a houdini to put next to it!

#2111 6 years ago

Awesome mod! Im in if it gets done.
Way better than the last offering I think.

Agreed. Would love to replace my flat tiger too. Sign me up!

#2112 6 years ago

I too would like to replace the flat tiger.

#2113 6 years ago

"Replace your flat tiger with a fat tiger! Limited time only. Just $19.99 plus shipping and handling. Call now, operators are standing by. Special pricing reserved for our first 20 callers...."

I'm down for a 3D tiger too...

#2114 6 years ago

Hey everyone,

Sorry if I missed if someone previously had this problem. But I have a TOM and greater than half the time it does not register the ball going into the trunk hole. I went into diagnostics and everything is working fine when I do switch test. I.E. the magic trunk opto board works, the subway micro switch #47 works, and the 3 switches in the subway work as well (I can't remember which number they are but I believe they are 41, 42, 43).

Any thoughts about how to fix? Again, sometimes it registers when the ball goes in the trunk hole, sometimes it doesn't. Also, trunk hits register every time as the eddy is dialed in correctly.

#2115 6 years ago
Quoted from Bluemedgroup:

Sorry if I missed if someone previously had this problem. But I have a TOM and greater than half the time it does not register the ball going into the trunk hole. I went into diagnostics and everything is working fine when I do switch test. I.E. the magic trunk opto board works, the subway micro switch #47 works, and the 3 switches in the subway work as well (I can't remember which number they are but I believe they are 41, 42, 43).
Any thoughts about how to fix? Again, sometimes it registers when the ball goes in the trunk hole, sometimes it doesn't. Also, trunk hits register every time as the eddy is dialed in correctly.

Have you cleaned the trunk hole opto? If so maybe time to replace.

#2116 6 years ago

There's a trunk hole opto? I'm confused as I don't see anything in the manual for specifically for the trunk hole. Is it separate from the trunk opto board?

#2117 6 years ago
Quoted from Bluemedgroup:

There's a trunk hole opto? I'm confused as I don't see anything in the manual for specifically for the trunk hole. Is it separate from the trunk opto board?

Isn't it referred to as an "Eddy"?

Don't quote me on it, but I recall something like that while I was diagnosing a problem.

#2118 6 years ago

Yup, there’s an opto as part of the trunk itself. It senses if the ball did the sneaky lock/falling down the stairs lock.

#2119 6 years ago

There is an opto that registers when a ball goes into the trunk. There is only one opto, transmitter and receiver. The game only knows a ball went into the trunk if this opto sees it. After that opto there are 3 subway switches that the ball sees. Once you start multi ball the subway has to see all three switches made up before spitting them all out. Your problem has to be either the trunk opto, 1 or more of the subway switches, or possibly the trap door switch. All of these switches are in play when you dunk a ball into the trunk, front, side, or back doesn't matter. Ball goes into the trunk it has to pass the opto to get to the subway. Having one of the subway switches bad causes goofy problems with the game like it doesn't know where all the balls are and goes into ball search which causes the game to spit balls out of the trap door.

The eddy sensor is located in front of the trunk and registers trunk hits. It does not tell the game a ball went into the trunk. The only way the game knows a ball actually went into the trunk is the opto. It is physically located just slightly in front of the trunks forward most opening under the play field (obviously)

I've had dirty optos,intermittently failed subway switches, and intermittent trap (basement) door switch. I replaced all the physical switches and cleaned the optos when I did my full tear down. Game has been flawless ever since. Also if your trap door struggles to get balls out of the basement get rid of that plunger return spring, gravity doesn't need assistance.

#2120 6 years ago

Interested in an alternate trunk version? Well, this is not really a "trunk". More like a magic box that only a real Pinhead would want, if he's a Hellraiser. The standard Theatre of Magic trunk always starts breaking after just a few minutes of use. This one is 3D printed in thick PLA plastic and probably lasts a lot longer, though not indestructible for sure. Anyhow, I always thought this style box might look good as an alternative. This is just a first draft prototype. I need to make some adjustments in the cut-outs and that's why the magnetic plate is not pictured. If anyone is interested in getting these, let me know. I think the cost for making, painting, shipping, and time spent would be around $65 each. I might make up a batch of them. The color is black with gold.

Photo Sep 28, 10 44 42 PM (resized).jpgPhoto Sep 28, 10 44 42 PM (resized).jpg

Photo Sep 28, 10 44 34 PM (resized).jpgPhoto Sep 28, 10 44 34 PM (resized).jpg

Photo Sep 28, 10 44 26 PM (resized).jpgPhoto Sep 28, 10 44 26 PM (resized).jpg

Photo Sep 28, 10 44 19 PM (resized).jpgPhoto Sep 28, 10 44 19 PM (resized).jpg

Photo Sep 28, 10 44 13 PM (resized).jpgPhoto Sep 28, 10 44 13 PM (resized).jpg

Photo Sep 28, 10 42 15 PM (resized).jpgPhoto Sep 28, 10 42 15 PM (resized).jpg

#2121 6 years ago

Not my taste as it doesn't really look like a traditional magician's trunk, but cool idea. I'm sure that others will jump on it as an alternative option.

#2122 6 years ago

It's the Hellraiser puzzle box. Would make an awesome ToM re theme.

#2123 6 years ago

Did a full restore and playfield swap recently. Having an issue when a ball is locked in the vanish hole at back of playfield. If I shoot the right orbit when a ball is locked in the vanish hole the ball going through the right orbit gets stuck behind the ball in the vanish hole. I had to have left out a post or small ball guide that would prevent this I'm thinking. Can anybody see this area and take a pic on their game? ive attached a pic of the ball stuck behind the ball in vanish hole.

IMG_0188 (resized).JPGIMG_0188 (resized).JPG

#2124 6 years ago
Quoted from Cserold:

Did a full restore and playfield swap recently. Having an issue when a ball is locked in the vanish hole at back of playfield. If I shoot the right orbit when a ball is locked in the vanish hole the ball going through the right orbit gets stuck behind the ball in the vanish hole. I had to have left out a post or small ball guide that would prevent this I'm thinking. Can anybody see this area and take a pic on their game? ive attached a pic of the ball stuck behind the ball in vanish hole.

Anybody have any input on this? Any one else ever have an issue with two balls getting stuck in the vanish hole at back of playfield? Thanks for any help you can provide. Craig

#2125 6 years ago

On the tiger, I ended up making 3 different versions. The tiger is the same size on all 3, and are designed to work with existing saw mods. The original all orange light up. One that does not light up and has light white accents, eyes light up to your choice. One that does not light up and has more heavy white, eyes light up color of your choice.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/theatre-of-magic-tom-mod-development-thread-by-lightedpinballmods#post-3996879

#2126 6 years ago
Quoted from nickbuol:

I've been following them on their progress, but ouch. $125 USD is a bit rich for my blood. Maybe not for others, but when looking close at their pictures, like the ones of them boxed for shipping, there look to me to be very noticeable paint issues (areas that should be gold not being gold, etc). For that much money, they should be a little more spot on.

That's always the problem with sending overseas, when it's expensive, you are problably at the other side of the world
The issues you mention, are not paint issues. Rubber and silicone are impossible to paint, that was our biggest issue to solve in the Magic Trunk. I wish it was so simple to take a pencil and some gold paint and color those trunks. It certainly will flow all over your playfield!. We have used some chemical bonding's, so the position of the gold is not as simple as a pencil stroke unfortunately.

#2127 6 years ago

Just wanted to chime in on the rubber trunk discussion: i have one of the old rubber trunks that were made by user modellbaumann a few years ago. Never had the slightest problem after three years of use, some small chips of the paint came off over the years but it looks a lot less dramatic in person than on the picture. Also gives the trunk a bit of a mysterious aura

It does not affect gameplay at all, the trunk from georgio looks even better and i can wholeheartedly recommend getting a rubber trunk! Just put it in and forget about any problems with chipping or breaking.

Cheers

IMG_2855 (resized).JPGIMG_2855 (resized).JPG

1 week later
#2128 6 years ago
Quoted from Cserold:

ball is locked in the vanish hole the ball going through the right orbit gets stuck behind the ball in the vanish hole

You can run the switch test to see if that switch is triggered in this state. I had the same issues, and was able to resolve it by better centering the switch that detects this state.

#2129 6 years ago
Quoted from UltraPeepi:

You can run the switch test to see if that switch is triggered in this state. I had the same issues, and was able to resolve it by better centering the switch that detects this state.

Thanks for the reply. You know...I'm so dense sometimes that the secondary switch didn't even stand out as what would eject ball from vanish hole. Light bulb came on 2 days ago and that was the issue. Just required bending the switch arm a little and re-positioning. Cheers, Craig

#2130 6 years ago

I got my new indestructible trunk, and got it installed. It raises an issue, which is less of an issue for a more rigid trunk. The trunk bubbles out, on side with the green light. This is because the green light is attached with a screw and bracket attached onto the outside of the trunk assembly.

If the the screw head was very flat, it wouldn't be a problem. Maybe I have the wrong screw. And/or maybe I have it mounted wrong.

Have others solved this problem? Or mitigated it somehow?

I don't have a photo - if nobody knows what I'm talking about, I'll add it.

#2131 6 years ago

Anyone using a playfield protector on this? Any pros and cons?

#2132 6 years ago
Quoted from Robl45:

Anyone using a playfield protector on this? Any pros and cons?

There is a whole discussion about Playfield Protectors Here --> https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/playfield-protector-full-sheet-plastic

I just started reading the first page, but initial comments seem to be favorable. Not the same as a restore/clearcoat, but a lot cheaper and less money. Also not sure how long they last, or if anyone has impressions of it after putting one in a TOM.

So I am not answering your question directly, but trying to offer some sort of assistance that might be helpful.

#2133 6 years ago

I don't suppose anyone has a scan of the spirit ring decal? I had mine replated and had to remove the old decal but could not reuse it.

#2134 6 years ago
Quoted from UltraPeepi:

I got my new indestructible trunk, and got it installed. It raises an issue, which is less of an issue for a more rigid trunk. The trunk bubbles out, on side with the green light. This is because the green light is attached with a screw and bracket attached onto the outside of the trunk assembly.
If the the screw head was very flat, it wouldn't be a problem. Maybe I have the wrong screw. And/or maybe I have it mounted wrong.
Have others solved this problem? Or mitigated it somehow?
I don't have a photo - if nobody knows what I'm talking about, I'll add it.

I am having this exact issue. Find a fix for it yet? Going to take a photo and send it to Georgia today.

#2135 6 years ago

So, I replaced my Hocus Pocus magnets, and also replaced the sensors with Pinbits.

The right sides is working perfectly, but the left side isn't activating at all. I can feel the right side vibrate, and when testing, it catches the ball. The left side does not vibrate, and as expected, does not grab the ball.

Any suggestions on what this may be?

This machine has a lot of Gremlins, but I'm down to just this and a Left EOS issue.

#2136 6 years ago
Quoted from nickbuol:

There is a whole discussion about Playfield Protectors Here --> https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/playfield-protector-full-sheet-plastic
I just started reading the first page, but initial comments seem to be favorable. Not the same as a restore/clearcoat, but a lot cheaper and less money. Also not sure how long they last, or if anyone has impressions of it after putting one in a TOM.
So I am not answering your question directly, but trying to offer some sort of assistance that might be helpful.

Yep, read that thoroughly already, figured I'd ask about the specific games. Some say its great, others say it scratched and ball gets hung up at places.

#2137 6 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

So, I replaced my Hocus Pocus magnets, and also replaced the sensors with Pinbits.
The right sides is working perfectly, but the left side isn't activating at all. I can feel the right side vibrate, and when testing, it catches the ball. The left side does not vibrate, and as expected, does not grab the ball.
This machine has a lot of Gremlins, but I'm down to just this and a Left EOS issue.

Did you check the fuse? They blow very easy, especially when testing.

#2138 6 years ago
Quoted from Robl45:

Yep, read that thoroughly already, figured I'd ask about the specific games. Some say its great, others say it scratched and ball gets hung up at places.

Yeah, just trying to help as I couldn't find any specific Theatre of Magic users in my search either.

You could check this list out. There are 5 people listed with ToMs and playfield protectors:
http://www.pinballowners.com/owners/2845

Maybe there is a way to send them a PM....

#2139 6 years ago
Quoted from Robl45:

I installed it on my CV machine and I love it. I’m about to install one on a friends TOM and it is hard to say exactly, but it looks like it might be a bit easier. For CV it required a full tear down of the playfield. I think you could get away with slightly less on TOM.

#2140 6 years ago
Quoted from Robl45:

I do have a protecter in my TOM since 3 years, awesome product, machine plays superfast! No scratching whatsoever! Only had a small problem with the wireform entry above the popbumpers: with the protector on there was a little difference in height so slow balls got hung up there sometimes. Exactly under the right controlled gate in the orbit. Put a small plastic piece about the same height as the protector on and never had a single ball stuck there ever again!
Ask away if you have any other questions!
Cheers

#2141 6 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

The right Hocus Pocus magnet it controlled by the driver board, but the left Hocus Pocus magnet is controlled by the fliptronics board at the top left of the backbox. There are 4 fuses. The bottom left F904 is the fuse to the left Hocus Pokus magnet. It is a 3A slo blow 250V fuse. I'd check there

#2142 6 years ago
Quoted from Ben1981:

I do have a protecter in my TOM since 3 years, awesome product, machine plays superfast! No scratching whatsoever! Only had a small problem with the wireform entry above the popbumpers: with the protector on there was a little difference in height so slow balls got hung up there sometimes. Exactly under the right controlled gate in the orbit. Put a small plastic piece about the same height as the protector on and never had a single ball stuck there ever again!
Ask away if you have any other questions!
Cheers

How long did it take to tear off the appropriate pieces, install, and put things back together?

I am now intrigued by these as well. Too bad I didn't think about getting one back when I had my playfield top torn down as part of a deep clean, re-brassing, re-plasticing (putting in NOS plastics), re-rubbering (LOL), Pinduino installation, cabinet repairing and re-decalling, and general tinkering project earlier this year...

#2143 6 years ago
Quoted from nickbuol:

How long did it take to tear off the appropriate pieces, install, and put things back together?

It is not a plug and play but you can handle the installation in about 2 hours if you know your machine. Gotta take off both ramps and the wireforms, rear controlled gates, some plastics and the flipper bats as far as i remember. On the popbumpers it's enough to remove the bumper caps.

What i especially like is how flawlessly the protector works with the trapdoor! It even protects the playfield from downward hits from the flap.
Genuinely like this product
Cheers

#2144 6 years ago

Anybody else added the "Fire" color changing Leds to TOM? Thought it looked great. Check it out.

#2145 6 years ago
Quoted from Cserold:

Anybody else added the "Fire" color changing Leds to TOM? Thought it looked great. Check it out.
» YouTube video

They look a little too "blinky" for my tastes, but some of that could be that video never looks as good as being there in person. But hey, if you like it then that is what matters.

#2146 6 years ago

ToM Remake: is it in the pipeline?

Hi.

I'm not a ToM owner, but I do love the pin.

I would love to find one for sale, but I was told something recently which gives me pause:

A very astute pinball-industry veteran said, "I wouldn't step up and pay what ToM is fetching these days when there's a chance it will be remade."

So, I'm asking, what have you all heard about the prospects of a ToM remake? And who would do it? Chicago Gaming Co?

Lastly, does a person really have lay out at least six large for a ToM in the current market?

Thanks.

Jason

#2147 6 years ago

Just curious, but what do you think a Remake will cost?

Quoted from Jason_Jehosaphat:

Hi.
I would love to find one for sale, but I was told something recently which gives me pause:
A very astute pinball-industry veteran said, "I wouldn't step up and pay what ToM is fetching these days when there's a chance it will be remade."
So, I'm asking, what have you all heard about the prospects of a ToM remake? And who would do it? Chicago Gaming Co?
Lastly, does a person really have lay out at least six large for a ToM in the current market?
Thanks.
Jason

#2148 6 years ago
Quoted from Jason_Jehosaphat:

Hi.
Thanks.
Jason

I think you could wait your whole life for a re-fake rather than buying a nice original.

#2149 6 years ago

There's a chance that any of the pins available today could be a remake. But I think you're going to be waiting for an unknown, when there are many available now. Also, AFM and MM have not decreased in value because of the remake, and I've read that the remakes do play differently from the originals...FWIW.

If you're in the market for one, I would get an original now, as opposed to waiting for an unknown amount of time IF someone decides to remake it. And that's a BIG if.

#2150 6 years ago

Unlikely that ToM is remade in the next couple of years.

Current favourites for announcement Q1 next year

Monster Bash
Cactus Canyon
The Addams Family

I've got MMR and AFMR on the way and I have MB and ToM and I'd trade them in a flash for remakes they are so well make and play so great.

Neil.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 29.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 11.95
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 130.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 47.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Wanted
€ 150.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
TheDudeMods

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 38.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
Sandy Springs, GA
$ 33.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Manteca, CA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 4,305 posts in this topic. You are on page 43 of 87.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/theatre-of-magic-club/page/43 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.