DSCN3293 (resized).JPG
DSCN3292 (resized).JPG
DSCN3291 (resized).JPG
DSCN3290 (resized).JPG
DSCN3289 (resized).JPG
DSCN3288 (resized).JPG
DSCN3287 (resized).JPG
IMG_2893 (resized).jpg

There are 4,295 posts in this topic. You are on page 40 of 86.
#1951 6 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

If the coil burns and shorts, it can blow the fuse. Remove it from the circuit and see if the fuse stops blowing

When the fuse blows, the trough eject and basement door stop working. I suspect there could be other components. I have to check the manual to see what else is connected to F104.

#1953 6 years ago

Now it's even more confusing. F104 is blown, however, the ball trough is on F105?!?!

#1954 6 years ago

The WPC schematic shows F104 connects to J107-2. F104 is labeled as "LO POWER PULSE" in the schematic but J107-2 corresponds to "High Power" in the tech table.

I don't have Theatre of Magic nearby to verify but I've learned to trust manuals and documentation but not trust them 100%. The definitive answer is in the wiring on your actual machine.

#1955 6 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

Now it's even more confusing. F104 is blown, however, the ball trough is on F105?!?!

The template shows that F104 protects solenoids 9-16. Look at the table on the middle left to see which solenoids are which. One of those is shorted somewhere. Check each solenoid and wiring 1 by 1 until you can find the culprit. Usually it's a price of wire touching another price of wire or bare metal.

#1956 6 years ago

Just going over the machine a bit looking for potential issues. Does this appear normal?

The red/green wire is connected to a diode that connects to one end of the light bulb housing. The yellow wires is on the other bulb connector.

IMG_20170820_180732 (resized).jpgIMG_20170820_180732 (resized).jpg

IMG_20170820_180642 (resized).jpgIMG_20170820_180642 (resized).jpg

#1957 6 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

Just going over the machine a bit looking for potential issues. Does this appear normal?
The red/green wire is connected to a diode that connects to one end of the light bulb housing. The yellow wires is on the other bulb connector.

Come on, man. You're taking advantage of a good thing. It's not reasonable to hijack the thread with every question conceivable about your very specific machine. I agree with FatPanda that there are a lot of resources out there and and tons of threads on Pinside about troubleshooting, repair, restoration, etc. that can inform you.

#1958 6 years ago
Quoted from Frogman:

Come on, man. You're taking advantage of a good thing. It's not reasonable to hijack the thread with every question conceivable about your very specific machine. I agree with FatPanda that there are a lot of resources out there and and tons of threads on Pinside about troubleshooting, repair, restoration, etc. that can inform you.

And here I was hoping to learn some things about my machine... Take a look at someone like LTG, who generously chimes in and helps anyone at any level with any problem they have. That's the kind of people that make this a "good thing".

Sorry I hijacked "your" thread with question, man.

#1959 6 years ago

I just wanted to say my Theater has been tentatively sold for a few weeks now and will be picked up and shipped early tomorrow morning. It's going to a new owner that I hope enjoys it very much.

Past member as of tomorrow
RVH

#1960 6 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

And here I was hoping to learn some things about my machine... Take a look at someone like LTG, who generously chimes in and helps anyone at any level with any problem they have. That's the kind of people that make this a "good thing".

I think what he was trying to say is that you might get more help if you posted in the tech forum. Yes, there are primarily ToM owners that post and follow this thread, but some of the problems you're posting here are universal across all WPC machines and you'll be able to get more help if your thread were more visible to the "outsiders."

#1961 6 years ago
Quoted from Frogman:

There are a couple of noticeable scratches on the translite of my machine, so I'm thinking about alternatives. The 3d version looks kind of cool but but I'm on the fence. I'm not sure if it's too kitschy for my taste. I've searched and can't find a mirror version, which I think would be awesome. Am correct in that no one has produced a mirrored version? Any thoughts from those of you that have the lenticular/3d art or have seen it? Lastly, do the lights/effects show through the 3d version well?

i am very picky also. to me the 3 d translites are very nice and well made.
not an issue with light effects.
i would take a pic for you but the 3 d effect doesnt really show in the pictures.

#1962 6 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

I think what he was trying to say is that you might get more help if you posted in the tech forum. Yes, there are primarily ToM owners that post and follow this thread, but some of the problems you're posting here are universal across all WPC machines and you'll be able to get more help if your thread were more visible to the "outsiders."

And that sir, is helpful

Appreciate it. I'll try my luck there and see if I can get more answers to figure out this game.

With the last picture I posted of the trunks wiring however, I think is very specific to this thread. Just wondering if anyone can take a look at the wiring and see if it looks copacetic. Thank you all again.

#1963 6 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

take a look at the wiring and see if it looks copacetic.

Not certain on the red/green wire as I would need to look at the manual but I can tell you that your wires being all twisted IS not "copacetic"! The wires should not be twisting like that!

Quoted from Damien:

I think what people might be telling you that .... yeah it's fine to post a few tech questions on here but your machine appears to have several issues so you may want to start your own post so you can ask all your questions about your machine! Start a post and title it something like TECH: ToM having several issues or whatever. Up to you!

Another good thing to do is .... use Google images when you want to know is something is right or wrong! Search for playfield images on Google and most of the time you will find an image of the area you're looking into! You can then compare it with what you have!

#1964 6 years ago
Quoted from robotron:

i am very picky also. to me the 3 d translites are very nice and well made.
not an issue with light effects.
i would take a pic for you but the 3 d effect doesnt really show in the pictures.

Thanks for the input, especially about the lighting effects.

#1965 6 years ago

Just took apart my trunk, and I think part of the issue I'm having has to do with the trunk wiring. Was looking up part A-20029, but looks like it's sold out everywhere.

Does anyone happen to have one of these for sale?

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-20029

large (resized).jpglarge (resized).jpg

#1966 6 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

Just took apart my trunk, and I think part of the issue I'm having has to do with the trunk wiring. Was looking up part A-20029, but looks like it's sold out everywhere.

http://www.pinball.center/en/shop/pinball-parts-by-game/theatre-of-magic/7685/trunk-cable-for-theatre-of-magic-h-20007.1

Drawback is .... you'll pay more in shipping than the part due to they're overseas!!

#1967 6 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

https://www.pinbits.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=13_33&products_id=480&zenid=a57eb9d9bb49823d2a23642239832493

Pinbits is great. They have a lot of goodies for this game (auto eddy boards)

#1968 6 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

Making/fixing a wiring harness is a good set of skills to learn. This one doesn't look too bad to make from scratch (and practice your soldering skills.)

#1969 6 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

Yes, I've been referring to the manual. Sure, I didn't have to ask about the hocus pocus bit, but I don't think the manual can answer if a burnt magnet was causing fuse outages (as another member was saying) or when the motorized saw should turn.
I'm also very new to this hobby. I definitely appreciate all the people that take the time to help out, and there's definitely a bunch of you

Shorten the duratrion of the hocus pocus magnets in the settings.
For a lot of games too long of a run time blows the fuse, it gets really hot.
This has solved that particular problem for most.

#1970 6 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Shorten the duratrion of the hocus pocus magnets in the settings.
For a lot of games too long of a run time blows the fuse, it gets really hot.
This has solved that particular problem for most.

Didn't know that was an option. We haven't had any issues, but I have often thought the ball really doesn't need to be held there so long.... changing setting now

#1971 6 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

Didn't know that was an option. We haven't had any issues, but I have often thought the ball really doesn't need to be held there so long.... changing setting now

I've had the magnet catch the ball, but the ball was still "wobbling" with the magnet and has gone down the outlane before lol

#1972 6 years ago

I still can't find any adjustment for the magnet times in the menu.

#1973 6 years ago

Played this at replayfx and ball was constantly getting stuck between the trunk and post next to it. Is this a common problem with this game? I would like to buy some someday if I ever find for reasonable price.

#1974 6 years ago

I picked up my TOM Sunday. One minor scratch on right cabinet. Both sling plastics broke at bottom. Trunk cracked. I replaced battery holder. Adjusted one switch. Game works nicely. I will replace J120 and J121 burnt connectors to get GI string in back box working.

I'm going to buy all the cosmetic stuff tonight.

I was thinking of putting the magnet fuses that are sold for the Addams Family into TOM to protect the magnets. Is this overkill? Has anyone done this?

IMG_9112 (resized).JPGIMG_9112 (resized).JPG

#1975 6 years ago
Quoted from Beerpressure:

Played this at replayfx and ball was constantly getting stuck between the trunk and post next to it. Is this a common problem with this game? I would like to buy some someday if I ever find for reasonable price.

Thats what Ingos tom board fixes.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#1976 6 years ago

EDIT: Nevermind....I found the metal bracket that is used..that was the missing link!!!

Would somebody mind posting a picture of how the back right mirror is mounted to the play field back panel? And also how the small plastic is mounted to the mirror? Thank you! -- Craig

#1977 6 years ago
Quoted from fiberdude120:

Thats what Ingos tom board fixes.

I just looked up his video and that is not what I'm talking about. the ball flies in between the trunk and a post while its rotating and gets stuck.

#1978 6 years ago

I just looked up his video and that is not what I'm talking about. the ball flies in between the trunk and a post while its rotating and gets stuck.

can you post a pic of where the ball is getting stuck?

#1979 6 years ago

A lot of of us have had this problem, and this is the best fix (in my opinion). Glue a very small piece of foam as shown. The ball will rest on the foam instead of the post. Then when the trunk rotates, the ball will just glide off of the foam to freedom!

Trunk-Foam (resized).jpgTrunk-Foam (resized).jpg

#1980 6 years ago

Mine has a star post installed. Ball bounces out and never gets stuck.

#1981 6 years ago
Quoted from Videogod:

A lot of of us have had this problem, and this is the best fix (in my opinion). Glue a very small piece of foam as shown. The ball will rest on the foam instead of the post. Then when the trunk rotates, the ball will just glide off of the foam to freedom!

Quoted from FatPanda:

Mine has a star post installed. Ball bounces out and never gets stuck.

A lot of games have either a star post or a metal sleeve and rubber added where the T-nut is in your photo.
Its a simple fix buy removing the screw from underneath and then adding a #10 metal sleeve that has a notch for the rubber, from the top with a longer screw (10-32 I think?).
Then add a nut underneath to firm everything up.

The metal sleeved post looks more factory IMHO...

#1982 6 years ago

Has anyone encounter this...

After locking 2 balls, when I shoot at the trunk magnet, it just bounces off and registers as a hit. The trunk rotates and returns to the magnet side, but won't grab the ball.

And the balls that end up going in get stuck in the subway behind the little metal post. The post won't clear the balls to the VUK under the basement door.

#1983 6 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

After locking 2 balls, when I shoot at the trunk magnet, it just bounces off and registers as a hit. The trunk rotates and returns to the magnet side, but won't grab the ball.
And the balls that end up going in get stuck in the subway behind the little metal post. The post won't clear the balls to the VUK under the basement door.

Check your fuses, check the switches and magnet in test mode.

#1984 6 years ago

Anyone know if I can get a replacement part for the slingshot switches (part number A-17801) from PinballLife.com?

They have nothing matching that part number, but they do have a bunch of switches. I'm ordering a few parts from their site, so we hoping I could get this there as well.

Thanks.

#1985 6 years ago

Check your fuses, check the switches and magnet in test mode.

Combed through the subway, and found that the diode on the ball release had split from the lug. Not sure what caused it, but I'll try to repair or replace it and hopefully that should fix the problem.

Also, traced wires from my Left EOS issues, and think I fixed it. Haven't seen the error come up in the last few boot ups, so hopefully that's one issue down.

#1986 6 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

Anyone know if I can get a replacement part for the slingshot switches (part number A-17801) from PinballLife.com?
They have nothing matching that part number, but they do have a bunch of switches. I'm ordering a few parts from their site, so we hoping I could get this there as well.
Thanks.

Pinball Life carries them, but you need to solder your own wires connecting them: http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=616

#1987 6 years ago

Wanted to share some pics of my second restore. Really tried to go all out in this one with mostly parts plated included below playfield metal.

Some before, during and after pics below.

IMG_7851 (resized).JPGIMG_7851 (resized).JPG

IMG_7866 (resized).JPGIMG_7866 (resized).JPG

IMG_7894 (resized).JPGIMG_7894 (resized).JPG

IMG_7918 (resized).JPGIMG_7918 (resized).JPG

IMG_7984 (resized).JPGIMG_7984 (resized).JPG

IMG_7983 (resized).JPGIMG_7983 (resized).JPG

IMG_7990 (resized).JPGIMG_7990 (resized).JPG

IMG_7965 (resized).JPGIMG_7965 (resized).JPG

IMG_7987 (resized).JPGIMG_7987 (resized).JPG

IMG_8724 (resized).JPGIMG_8724 (resized).JPG

IMG_8726 (resized).JPGIMG_8726 (resized).JPG

IMG_8727 (resized).JPGIMG_8727 (resized).JPG

IMG_8731 (resized).JPGIMG_8731 (resized).JPG

IMG_9186 (resized).JPGIMG_9186 (resized).JPG

IMG_7886 (resized).JPGIMG_7886 (resized).JPG

IMG_8351 (resized).JPGIMG_8351 (resized).JPG

IMG_8710 (resized).JPGIMG_8710 (resized).JPG

IMG_8715 (resized).JPGIMG_8715 (resized).JPG

IMG_8896 (resized).JPGIMG_8896 (resized).JPG

IMG_8897 (resized).JPGIMG_8897 (resized).JPG

IMG_9437 (resized).JPGIMG_9437 (resized).JPG

IMG_9438 (resized).JPGIMG_9438 (resized).JPG

IMG_9442 (resized).JPGIMG_9442 (resized).JPG

IMG_9444 (resized).JPGIMG_9444 (resized).JPG

IMG_9446 (resized).JPGIMG_9446 (resized).JPG

#1988 6 years ago

Amazing job. Looks like a ton of work with incredible results.

#1990 6 years ago

that is amazing! If I were to do speaker lights, I would go for a dim purple, so as not to stand out from the entire package, but that's just me. Nice work!

#1991 6 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

that is amazing! If I were to do speaker lights, I would go for a dim purple, so as not to stand out from the entire package, but that's just me. Nice work!

Thank you very much. Totally agree on speaker lights I had these lying around and decided to throw them in there. Need to change them out to some other color. Do some of the kits come with dimming ability? Cheers, Craig

#1992 6 years ago

I would imagine it would have to do with using a dimmer bulb as opposed to "dimming" a bulb. I personally don't care for speaker lights so I haven't installed any myself, but I'm sure you could find something to your liking.

#1993 6 years ago
Quoted from Cserold:

Do some of the kits come with dimming ability?

Add this inline with the power to the LEDs to add dimming controls:

ebay.com link: Low profile Inline Controller Dimmer Switch for LED Strip Light Bare Wire

#1994 6 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

Just had a similar problem - it sounds like F903. One thing to note is that the Theatre Manual (page 1-43 and page 3-14) points to F901 for the sub release sol. 34 and the trunk magnet but the WPC schematis have it correct that it is really F903.

Also - interesting that you said that you have a diode across the sub release coil - I do not. I believe D22 on the fliptronics board serves the same purpose. However - the diagram on page 3-14 of the manual shows that there is a diode on the coil (really shown for upper right flipper usage). Would be curious to know if others have a diode there.

I have had my TOM for years and this is the first time I have had issues in this area.

#1995 6 years ago

So..... pinballnreno, can you explain how to change the magnet hold time in settings as you described? I am unable to find any such adjustment.

#1996 6 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

So..... pinballnreno, can you explain how to change the magnet hold time in settings as you described? I am unable to find any such adjustment.

Its not a magnet hold time per se.
Its how often its used that heats it up and blows fuses in my case at least.

The hocus pocus setting set at 25 on my game has it available almost all the time.
I set it to 15 and stopped blowing fuses.

Also if I test the outlane magets repeatedly like 20 times in a row it will blow the fuse.
It has done this from the beginning when new.

#1997 6 years ago

Its not a magnet hold time per se.
Its how often its used that heats it up and blows fuses in my case at least.
The hocus pocus setting set at 25 on my game has it available almost all the time.
I set it to 15 and stopped blowing fuses.
Also if I test the outlane magets repeatedly like 20 times in a row it will blow the fuse.
It has done this from the beginning when new.

Aaah. Ok thanks. I wasn't aware of the. Hocus pocus setting. So it just uses the feature less often.

#1998 6 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

Aaah. Ok thanks. I wasn't aware of the. Hocus pocus setting. So it just uses the feature less often.

Yes, it allows the system to cool down a little more.

#1999 6 years ago

new never installed treasure cove pinblades $50.00 shipped ! https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-pinblades-for-sale

#2000 6 years ago

Would anyone be able to tell me the correct positioning for each wire on the 11 pin JI21 connector, or point me in the right direction. Can't seem to find it in the manual.

Thanks so much!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 38.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Mod Co.
Other
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Other
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Boards
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 22.50
Electronics
bdash's bits
Electronics
$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room
Decorations
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley
Pinball Machine
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Minneapolis, MN
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
Toys/Add-ons
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
Decals
$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Manteca, CA
$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound
Electronics
$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus
Plastics
8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wilsonville, OR
$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs
(Alt) Translites
$ 8.50
Lighting - Led
Pinball Haus
Led
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
11,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lake Villa, IL
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 4,295 posts in this topic. You are on page 40 of 86.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/theatre-of-magic-club/page/40?hl=videogod and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.