Topic Stats

• 2,820 posts
  • 338 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 days ago by gliebig
  • Topic is favorited by 146 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 737 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

clock 2 (resized).JPG
clock 1 (resized).JPG
FE49E753-676D-4822-ABCA-C3B1F1227E83 (resized).jpeg
0701191946a (resized).jpg
0701191947 (resized).jpg
0701191946b (resized).jpg
0701191959 (resized).jpg
0630191556a (resized).jpg
0630191556b (resized).jpg
0630191556 (resized).jpg
4539 (1) (resized).jpeg
4538 (resized).jpeg
4537 (resized).jpeg
15600453559134379029810619840718 (resized).jpg
15600453338424530367670042735314 (resized).jpg
20190519_115403 (resized).jpg

There are 2820 posts in this topic. You are on page 38 of 57.
#1851 2 years ago

Has anyone replaced the little servo motor in the magic hat mod? Mine crapped out on me

#1852 2 years ago

I'm now experiencing the trap door/SDTM issue for the second time since I've owned my machine. Things I've already tried:

- Tightening popper guide on armiture
- Replacing armitures and coil sleeves
- Replacing springs
- Adjusting coil stop depth

The popper coil has some slop (meaning, the coil can rotate in the bracket). I know vid1900 has said in the past for other rebuilding techniques that the coils should be tight in the bracket...Could that be it?

Obviously, the trap door mechanism has a "backboard" like a basketball net, and the angle of that metal backboard effects the direction of the pinball. There is a tiny amount of play in that direction, but honestly only the mount allowed by the slot guide in the bracket for the trap door armiture, which seems like it's moving as designed.

This worked for about six months before starting to fail again. Anyone have any thoughts?

-Jay

#1853 2 years ago
Quoted from jsa:

I'm now experiencing the trap door/SDTM issue for the second time since I've owned my machine. Things I've already tried:
- Replacing springs
The popper coil has some slop (meaning, the coil can rotate in the bracket). I know vid1900 has said in the past for other rebuilding techniques that the coils should be tight in the bracket...Could that be it?
Obviously, the trap door mechanism has a "backboard" like a basketball net, and the angle of that metal backboard effects the direction of the pinball. There is a tiny amount of play in that direction, but honestly only the mount allowed by the slot guide in the bracket for the trap door armiture, which seems like it's moving as designed.
This worked for about six months before starting to fail again. Anyone have any thoughts?
-Jay

I am about in need to adjust mine. Mine barely feeds the tip of the right flipper. if it gets off much more it will drain.

#1854 2 years ago
Quoted from jsa:

Change the coil to one step weaker one, 26-1500.
You can just swap it with the coil that's used for the shooter lane.

RVH

Edit: the ball will come out a touch slower and gravity will do the rest.

#1855 2 years ago
Quoted from RVH:

Change the coil to one step weaker one, 26-1500.
You can just swap it with the coil that's used for the shooter lane.
RVH
Edit: the ball will come out a touch slower and gravity will do the rest.

That is a hugely creative response, I love it. Did you do this already? What's been your experience with it?

#1856 2 years ago

Yes I did swap the coils after going over trying to rebuild everything. Works pretty damn good.
I also tried one step weaker coil but it was not strong enough to kick the ball out.
Swap them, see how you like it. The kickout to the shooter lane will be strong but it will work fine. Just order another 26-1500 and replaced it if you want to, that's what I did.

RVH

#1857 2 years ago
Quoted from jsa:

- Replacing springs
-Jay

Depending on wall current the coil will fire strong or weak. If its strong it will fire SDTM. Weak seems to be just fine.
I just elongated the mounting holes in the weldment about 1/16" (sidecut it with a drill bit).
This lets you set the mech and aim it where you want. 1/16" to the right seems to fix it permanently.

#1858 2 years ago

Man I love this game

IMG_5288 (resized).JPG

#1859 2 years ago
Quoted from Drewblood419:

Man I love this game

Awesome job Drew

#1860 2 years ago

Hey I just joined the club! I've got a bunch of LED lights sitting in a box and would like to install them in my TOM. Can anyone help me out with LED configurations i.e. where to put what color light in the playfield and backbox please?

#1861 2 years ago
Quoted from Bluemedgroup:

Hey I just joined the club! I've got a bunch of LED lights sitting in a box and would like to install them in my TOM. Can anyone help me out with LED configurations i.e. where to put what color light in the playfield and backbox please?

that's easy, All warm white or natural white for the GI and backbox. Color matched inserts. you'll thank me later

And congrats!

#1862 2 years ago

I'm about to join the club! Have a TOM heading my way.

I've read that there are some issues with the outlane magnets. Can anyone comment on whether the Eddy boards from Pinbits will completely resolve this?

And can you help me understand what the Eddy boards actually do. Is it just automatic calibration?

Thanks

#1863 2 years ago

The Eddy boards have a little pot switch (like a volume knob) that you adjust with a screwdriver to calibrate when the magnet is activated. I've never had a problem with the outbound Eddies, but I did replace the Trunk Eddy with the one from Pinbits, and it works great. No more recalibrating it every 3 months! I also recommend you replace the trunk board with the "Leon" board (do a search on Pinside). It's a tiny bit complicated to install but well worth it. The trunk won't get stuck halfway anymore.

#1864 2 years ago

Pinbits board for the win for sure.

#1865 2 years ago
Quoted from Videogod:

The Eddy boards have a little pot switch (like a volume knob) that you adjust with a screwdriver to calibrate when the magnet is activated. I've never had a problem with the outbound Eddies, but I did replace the Trunk Eddy with the one from Pinbits, and it works great. No more recalibrating it every 3 months! I also recommend you replace the trunk board with the "Leon" board (do a search on Pinside). It's a tiny bit complicated to install but well worth it. The trunk won't get stuck halfway anymore.

Can you install the trunk and magnet boards, or only one or the other?

#1866 2 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

Can you install the trunk and magnet boards, or only one or the other?

Well, simplest way to answer this: You can install everything. I have the pinbit boards for the magna saves and the trunk eddy, and I have the Leon boards as well.

#1867 2 years ago

Just wanted to share our restoration.

thanks-Jerry

#1868 2 years ago
Quoted from jsa:

Well, simplest way to answer this: You can install everything. I have the pinbit boards for the magna saves and the trunk eddy, and I have the Leon boards as well.

What's the install like on the 3 parts?

Also, can anyone point me to where I can order a non-breakable trunk?

#1869 2 years ago

The Eddy boards and the Leon Trunk board are two different things. The Eddy board (for the magnets) is a piece of cake to install; the Leon board is more complicated so you'll have to search this thread for instructions once you buy it.

Here's a link to a great trunk. None of them are unbreakable, but it should last a long time. Search this thread for ways to reinforce it.
http://www.pinballdecals.com/PartsByGamePages/TOM_Page.html

#1870 2 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

Quoted from Videogod:

The Eddy boards and the Leon Trunk board are two different things. The Eddy board (for the magnets) is a piece of cake to install; the Leon board is more complicated so you'll have to search this thread for instructions once you buy it.
Here's a link to a great trunk. None of them are unbreakable, but it should last a long time. Search this thread for ways to reinforce it.
http://www.pinballdecals.com/PartsByGamePages/TOM_Page.html

The installation of the "Leon"-Board is VERY easy and only takes 2 minutes

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tom-trunk-error-leons-fix-anyone-done-this/page/10#post-2940301

#1871 2 years ago

I'm picking up a TOM from a person that has owned it for the past 17 years. The cabinet and playfield look good in pictures. Just appears slings are broken in typical location and trunk is broken off at the bottom. I have another trunk and will try the double sided foam tape before I try some of the other suggestions here.

I will assume the batteries are dead or corroded based on the photos. Hopefully just need to clean or replace the battery holder.

I just bought Ingo's trunk board. Looking forward to this. Will buy the induino ramp light mod, auto sensing eddy boards, leds and for the first time try out the GI OCD board based on everything written here. I'm going to get the colordmd led (rather than the LCD) also based on recommendations here.

I'm thinking of trying the 3D blackglass.

This will complement the Houdini I put a deposit on. I owned a Pinball Magic in the past and hopefully I'll find another.

As some of you know, I repair Pinballs in the D.C. Area. After doing this for almost 20 years I'm building up my collection with my favorite games.

Can't wait to get the TOM. Hopefully I'll meet some of you at the York show. I have an indoor flea market space to sell some "treasures" I have accumulated over the years. The thing I am excited about most is being indoors. Every time I go, it rains. Not just rain but epic rains.

Thanks for all the info and mod /improvement suggestions on this thread.

Michael

#1872 2 years ago
Quoted from mbelofsky:

Thanks for all the info and mod /improvement suggestions on this thread.

When I was restoring my ToM the batteries corroded the battery board. Picked up one of these sort of holders and it was perfect. Plus I could mount it away from the board.
ebay.com link » Wpc Mpu Security Board Quick Remote Battery Kit For Williams Pinball

Sold my ToM a few months ago and miss it. Enjoy yours!
-Ran

#1873 2 years ago

I also recommend putting in the Pinball Pro speaker kit. The bass from the woofer made it feel like there was a shaker during certain times. It was awesome!!!

#1874 2 years ago

An external sub is definitely needed for a nice low end.

#1875 2 years ago

I need a replacement trunk. Broke a piece off it yesterday.
Anyone know where the best place to order a new one?

#1876 2 years ago
Quoted from Nilroc:

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for this: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/unbreakable-trunk-for-the-theatre-of-magic

Looks like they are ramping up for production.

#1877 2 years ago

Thanks
I'll check into it.

#1878 2 years ago
Quoted from Nilroc:

Marco has them:

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/03-9317

#1879 2 years ago
Quoted from Drewblood419:

Man I love this game

Did you restore this game Drew? Looks great

#1880 2 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

Once you get your trunk line the inside walls using a fiberglass resin repair kit. Just cut pieces of the white "cloth" that comes with the kit Lay them on the inside walls them spread the resin over the cloth and let dry

#1881 2 years ago

Edit: never mind....I see they are the same board

Hi guys,

What is Ingo's trunk Board and how does it relate to the Leon Board? Are they two different boards that work in tandem?

Thanks!

#1882 2 years ago
Quoted from Nilroc:

Bay Area amusement has them at $31

http://bayareaamusements.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=GS-TOM9317

#1883 2 years ago

I'm putting together a set of Titan rings. I'd prefer not go all white or purple. Any color scheme recommendations/changes to the list below?

Rubber ring config (resized).png

#1884 2 years ago
Quoted from Frogman:

I'm putting together a set of Titan rings. I'd prefer not go all white or purple. Any color scheme recommendations/changes to the list below?

All red would look ok. the all purple looks great that's what I did.

#1885 2 years ago
Quoted from Frogman:

Doing a full restore on a TOM right now and ordered purple rubbers. I was surprised/disappointed in the color. It's more pastel in color than the deep purple that the game has. I ended up going all translucent because I couldn't find a good fit with the red/purple/white.

#1886 2 years ago
Quoted from Cserold:

Edit: never mind....I see they are the same board
Hi guys,
What is Ingo's trunk Board and how does it relate to the Leon Board? Are they two different boards that work in tandem?
Thanks!

Ingo's board IS the Leon board. He's right; it's relatively easy to install if you are careful and follow the online instructions.

#1887 2 years ago
Quoted from RVH:

All red would look ok. the all purple looks great that's what I did.

Any chance you could post a picture? Cserold mentioned that the color was more pastel than deep purple and I think the pastel might suit my taste. It's not a huge investment, but if I could see it on the machine that would be great.

#1888 2 years ago
Quoted from Frogman:

Any chance you could post a picture? Cserold mentioned that the color was more pastel than deep purple and I think the pastel might suit my taste. It's not a huge investment, but if I could see it on the machine that would be great.

Here are pics of the purple rubbers. I really liked the teal posts and flippers to match Lower playfield pics and the purple, of course, did not mesh with that. I also couldn't get my eye to accept that purple on the red posts but that is all subjective I'm sure

IMG_9253 (resized).JPG

IMG_9254 (resized).JPG

#1889 2 years ago
Quoted from Cserold:

Here are pics of the purple rubbers. I really liked the teal posts and flippers to match Lower playfield pics and the purple, of course, did not mesh with that. I also couldn't get my eye to accept that purple on the red posts but that is all subjective I'm sure

Ahh, I like 'em. Not for use across the board, but in certain areas. Thanks for taking the time to post the pictures.

#1890 2 years ago

titan rubbers are the best

#1891 2 years ago

Mine has clear rubbers, and they look pretty nice.

#1892 2 years ago

Hey guys, I joined the club today and have a few issues already was hoping I could get some help with.

Firstly, when playing the game will start loading balls into the shooter lane. It loads two, and then you can hear it trying to load more but the third ball won't fit.

If the ball in play drains, it doesn't recognize it as the end of your ball. And when you shoot the other balls out, it just reloads more.

Eventually you're left with one, and it recognizes that the ball has drained.

I'm assuming this has something to do with the trough?

Any suggestions would be appreciated

#1893 2 years ago

Go to the switch test and check the trough opto switches

#1894 2 years ago
Quoted from Mank:

Go to the switch test and check the trough opto switches

All optos show as "open".

Anything else I can try?

#1895 2 years ago

Hi guys,

Would somebody mind posting pics of the below playfield wiring to and between the two small white standup targets at top middle of the playfield? Doing a restore and some funky hacks done that I want to clean up here. Would really appreciate it. Thanks!!

Craig

#1896 2 years ago

Played a few games tonight and the trough issue magically disappeared.

However, there is a "Left EOS" error on boot up. Any advice on what I should check?

Also, a couple of cosmetic questions. The photos show some nasty wear around the basement, and some chipping on the Lock insert. Any tips on how I can fix this?

And finally, I found this small part in the cabinet. Any idea what it is and where it goes?

IMG_20170816_022833 (resized).jpg

IMG_20170816_023624 (resized).jpg

IMG_20170815_204510 (resized).jpg

#1897 2 years ago

That's from a pop bumper.

#1898 2 years ago
Quoted from Cserold:

Would somebody mind posting pics of the below playfield wiring to and between the two small white standup targets at top middle of the playfield?

Here

IMG_2741 (resized).PNG

IMG_2742 (resized).PNG

IMG_2743 (resized).PNG

IMG_2744 (resized).PNG

#1899 2 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

Played a few games tonight and the trough issue magically disappeared.
However, there is a "Left EOS" error on boot up. Any advice on what I should check?
Also, a couple of cosmetic questions. The photos show some nasty wear around the basement, and some chipping on the Lock insert. Any tips on how I can fix this?
And finally, I found this small part in the cabinet. Any idea what it is and where it goes?

Left eos is your end of stroke switch on your left flipper assembly. You may need to adjust the switch.

#1900 2 years ago
Quoted from Mank:

That's from a pop bumper.

Do you happen to have a photo?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 229.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 8.50
Lighting - Led
Pinball Haus
There are 2820 posts in this topic. You are on page 38 of 57.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside