IMG_9247 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9231 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0920 (resized).jpeg
DSCN3296 (resized).JPG
DSCN3295 (resized).JPG
DSCN3294 (resized).JPG
DSCN3293 (resized).JPG
DSCN3292 (resized).JPG
There are 4,305 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 87.
#101 10 years ago

Here is a stock photo of the problem area. I will try tomorrow afternoon to photo it.

2 weeks later
#102 10 years ago

I just added red velvet to mine as well. I dunno why I didn't do this sooner, it's so damn classy now

VelvetTom.jpgVelvetTom.jpg

#103 10 years ago

<---- proud owner of a ToM for 10 years now.

Mine has:

1. tiger saw mod (although mine only has a plastic blade on it -- anyone want to chime in on whether I can simply replace it with a metal blade and if so, which one I should buy)
2. Gold chains on trunk
3. All brass (gold) hardware, legs, rails, shooter rod.
4. Translite signed by John Popadiuk
5. Cointaker LED kit (what a difference!)

Does anyone have a custom set of rule cards that they'd share, so I can print something nice and in color to replace the original ones?

Also, I love those velvet red rails. What a cool thing. Where does one get those?

Keith

#104 10 years ago

ack duplicate post. thank you Comcast.

#105 10 years ago

I made mine myself. It took me about 2 hours and about $15 of materials.

Or you can buy pre-made ones off of e-bay
ebay.com link: CUSTOM RED VELVET FABRIC BALLY THEATRE OF MAGIC PINBALL INNER CABINET PANELS

#106 10 years ago
Quoted from Linolium:

I made mine myself. It took me about 2 hours and about $15 of materials.

Could you tell me (either here, a new thread, or via a PM) how you did this? I'd like to give this mod a try.
Thanks!

#107 10 years ago

Basically, I bought a 36"x24" sheet of black cardboard, cut it in half (so to have 2 36"x12" panels), then slowly chipped away at the panels so the fit snuggly on the left and ride sides of the table. Then I covered them in crushed red velvet (from jo-anns) with glue or tape or something and vuala!

So yeah, its core is cardboard, but you'd never know unless I told you. Soon I plan on taking the cardboard sides and using them as templates to make a more "industrial" Plexiglas version.

The most time consuming part of this is trimming the cardboard to fit along the playfield's contour.

#108 10 years ago
Quoted from Linolium:

I just added red velvet to mine as well. I dunno why I didn't do this sooner, it's so damn classy now

Lucky you! The seller on ebay do not ship in Canada

#109 10 years ago
Quoted from Linolium:

Basically, I bought a 36"x24" sheet of black cardboard, cut it in half (so to have 2 36"x12" panels), then slowly chipped away at the panels so the fit snuggly on the left and ride sides of the table. Then I covered them in crushed red velvet (from jo-anns) with glue or tape or something and vuala!
So yeah, its core is cardboard, but you'd never know unless I told you. Soon I plan on taking the cardboard sides and using them as templates to make a more "industrial" Plexiglas version.
The most time consuming part of this is trimming the cardboard to fit along the playfield's contour.

Nice idea, I am going to try this myself. I think you are right, if it fits well whatever the material is backed with is not all that important.

2 months later
#110 10 years ago

Just bought my first TOM! Ordered some mods! I'll post pictures soon.

#111 10 years ago
Quoted from Linolium:

I just followed this plan and it worked very well. I went to the fabric store, bought red velvet and spray fabric adhesive. I cut out panels from black tag board from Michael's. I made my panels in two pieces for each side, which made it easier to handle. Cut and glue the fabric--voila! The only mistake I made was the crushed velvet is directional. If you use two pieces, make sure the grain is going in the same direction or it will reflect light differently.

#112 10 years ago

I just have to say that TOM has one of the most gratifying shots on a pinball machine . The right ramp shot to start Spirit Ring. Then for a limited time if you can nail the right ramp and the magnet "Spirit Ring" picks up the ball and moves it to the left ramp to feed the left flipper. I think it is my favorite shot in pinball.

#113 10 years ago
Quoted from DaabAmusements:

Just bought my first TOM! Ordered some mods! I'll post pictures soon

I have had a lot of pinball machine in the last 18 years and Theatre of magic is one of the best. You did good !

#114 10 years ago

I have a TOM with the saw mod and the lit marquee I'd like to add the red velvet panels, but the seller doesn't seem to offer them anymore. Is there an alternate source that folks know of?

#115 10 years ago
Quoted from RobKnapp:

I just have to say that TOM has one of the most gratifying shots on a pinball machine . The right ramp shot to start Spirit Ring. Then for a limited time if you can nail the right ramp and the magnet "Spirit Ring" picks up the ball and moves it to the left ramp to feed the left flipper. I think it is my favorite shot in pinball.

I can shoot the middle ramp with the right flipper and the trunk hole from the left flipper on my machine which opens up some nice flowing combo possibilities.

The spirit ring sequence has awesome flow:
1) Starting on the left flipper
2) Shoot the right ramp
3) On the fly shot to the middle ramp from the right flipper
4) Continuous shots to the right ramp and spirit ring magnet from the left flipper

I can also do:
Clock Combo: Left Orbit->Middle Ramp->Right Orbit
Trunk Combo: Left Orbit->Middle Ramp->Trunk Hole
Spirit Ring Combo: Left Orbit->Middle Ramp->Right Ramp->Middle Ramp->Right Ramp...->Trunk Hole

I love the game. It's unlikely to leave my collection. The only lament I have is doing combos doesn't light the trunk to start a mode. I think if the rules had either 3 way combo spotting a trunk hit and/or a 5 way combo enabling the next mode at the trunk, then the game would be even more fun to play.

#116 10 years ago

Bought my TOM in February. Absolutely love it!
Keep it clean and waxed for fast moving games.
You cannot beat this game for flow!
All my friends that come over and play love the magnets on the outlanes.
I will never sell my TOM.
Thanks to everyone that has chimed in and conversed about this fantastic game!

#117 10 years ago
Quoted from Fooped:

I have a TOM with the saw mod and the lit marquee I'd like to add the red velvet panels, but the seller doesn't seem to offer them anymore. Is there an alternate source that folks know of?

Make them yourself. Check the above posts to read how, PM Linolium for more advice if you need it, making velvet side panels is really very easy.

2 months later
#118 10 years ago

Old trunk was chewed up along the bottom, replaced with a NOS trunk. I now seem to get air balls off hitting the trunk... I suspect because it's hitting the molded plastic vs steel of the trunk cage. I tried putting some foam beer seal behind the bottom lip of the trunk but still getting air balls from hitting the trunk. Is this normal and/or is there a way to reduce air balls from hitting the trunk?

#119 10 years ago

A new ColorDMD for TOM was announced last week, with availability early December!

TOM.jpgTOM.jpg

#120 10 years ago

Here is mine tom gold (2) (Large) (Medium).jpgtom gold (2) (Large) (Medium).jpgtom gold (2) (Large) (Medium).jpgtom gold (2) (Large) (Medium).jpg

tom gold (3) (Large).jpgtom gold (3) (Large).jpg tom gold (6) (Large).jpgtom gold (6) (Large).jpg tom gold (7) (Large).jpgtom gold (7) (Large).jpg tom gold (8) (Large).jpgtom gold (8) (Large).jpg
#121 10 years ago

I'm wicked excited for ToM's Colour DMD!

#122 10 years ago

I've got a question for you guys.

Occasionally, maybe once every ~20 shots, a direct hard shot into the trunk will bounce right back out. I looked in there today, and there's some light adhesive where the ball hits. Maybe something belongs in there?

Does anyone else have the same issue?

#123 10 years ago

Allibaster, I had that bounce-out problem on mine too. I lined the scoop with the Greatest Stuff On Earth, Funky Foam http://shop.hobbylobby.com/products/12-x-18-black-eva-foam-sheet-3mm-288019/

and hasn't had an issue since. It "eats" a lot of the force and slows down the ball on entry.

I am making a leather, brass and rivet "Super Trunk" for mine.

#124 10 years ago

Perfect. Thanks.

#125 10 years ago

anyone recommend some source locations to make my own mods for:
a) light-up little rabbits
b) light-up doves
c) light-up magic wands

??

thanks,
bb

#126 10 years ago

I just played it with color DMD!! YEA!!! It looks awesome!!

#127 10 years ago
Quoted from Miniflipper:

it's available now?

#128 10 years ago

I thought so. I just found out how lucky I am. Well I guess you owners are the lucky ones.

#129 10 years ago

TOM was my second pin purchase! DSC06796.jpgDSC06796.jpgDSC06794.jpgDSC06794.jpg

#130 10 years ago

I should be getting my ToM some time this week (fingers crossed)...

after that all I need is CV which I am going to buy off a friend of mine and my JPP collection shall be complete!

except for magic girl but I can't afford such things

#131 10 years ago

here is a video link to an interactive under cab kit I made for my buddies Theater of magic it produces really cool colors especially a nice purple color with a hit to the truck.

#132 10 years ago
Quoted from Allibaster:

Occasionally, maybe once every ~20 shots, a direct hard shot into the trunk will bounce right back out.

Here's another source:
http://www.pinbits.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=131

If you would like to experiment, find some very good double sided tape and this: http://www.tempurpedic.com/Our-Company/information-kit.asp (this foam REALLY stops the ball dead in its tracks)

#133 10 years ago
Quoted from Rock914:

here is a video link to an interactive under cab kit I made for my buddies Theater of magic it produces really cool colors especially a nice purple color with a hit to the truck.
» YouTube video

cool.
what did you use to receive the signals, interpret & send signals out to the lighting?

cheers,
bb

#134 10 years ago
Quoted from retired_user_101:

cool.what did you use to receive the signals, interpret & send signals out to the lighting?cheers,bb

I hook it directly to the boards using any output I feel is right.

#135 10 years ago

About to join the club. I am so excited bought mine two weeks ago and going to Dallas to pick her up over Thanksgiving.

#136 10 years ago
Quoted from Rock914:

I hook it directly to the boards using any output I feel is right.

cool. so the color choice is just on a random setting?

#137 10 years ago
Quoted from wdpvideo:

About to join the club. I am so excited bought mine two weeks ago and going to Dallas to pick her up over Thanksgiving.

Who in Dallas did you get yours from?

#138 10 years ago

Just became a recent ToM owner and am absolutely loving it. Gotta send a shout out to Pin K for helping me get the trunk fixed and working! Game is a blast and I just love the flow! Now time to get some mods!

#139 10 years ago
Quoted from Digimatt:

Just became a recent ToM owner and am absolutely loving it. Gotta send a shout out to Pin K for helping me get the trunk fixed and working! Game is a blast and I just love the flow! Now time to get some mods!

what issue did you have with your trunk?

#140 10 years ago

The trunk would stop rotating when hit if it wasn't in the correct position and cause the game to error. The gearbox that drives it tends to gunk up with the original B/W grease, it becomes like glue over time. It was a pain but luckily thanks to doing some research on this forum I was able to diagnose the issue. I'm still pretty green when it comes to working on games so I was grateful that Pin K could rebuild it for a fair price and now it works like a charm!

#141 10 years ago
Quoted from retired_user_101:

cool. so the color choice is just on a random setting?

No not random at all. It is tied into the game play that's what makes this kit so cool it plays with the game not just flashing colors at random.

#142 10 years ago

I didn't buy it in Dallas, I got it from Brettbutler in Austin and he took it to a friend of mine in Dallas.

#143 10 years ago
Quoted from wdpvideo:

I didn't buy it in Dallas, I got it from Brettbutler in Austin and he took it to a friend of mine in Dallas.

huh ?

#144 10 years ago

I thought it was you sorry, I saw Austin, TX and jump to conclusions. Oops....I bought it from Brentslane sorry

#145 10 years ago
Quoted from JONESDS:

Old trunk was chewed up along the bottom, replaced with a NOS trunk. I now seem to get air balls off hitting the trunk... I suspect because it's hitting the molded plastic vs steel of the trunk cage. I tried putting some foam beer seal behind the bottom lip of the trunk but still getting air balls from hitting the trunk. Is this normal and/or is there a way to reduce air balls from hitting the trunk?

Beer seal might be too light/soft against a heavy ball traveling at high speed.

I lined the inside of my trunk with a sample piece of automotive sound deadener (like this: ebay.com link: 2 sqft GTMat Pro 50mil Auto Car Audio Sound Deadener All Vehicles 12 x 12 ). Since this material is designed to absorb vibrations, it had the effect of making the trunk last longer and absorb ball hits better. Be careful though - this material can be a bit gooey to work with.

Alternatively, I had not tried this on the trunk, but Pinbits' dropdead foam is much neater and also absorbs ball impacts.

1 week later
#146 10 years ago

Just finishing up my Proto TOM and wondered if anyone has some good backbox LED configurations?

#147 10 years ago
Quoted from Miniflipper:

How did you get the file? I put my CFTBL in mind to see if it would work. Well, it sorta did. I used it because I am still restoring my CFTBL. Anyway, I got it to power up and installed. One of the cables coming off the the old DMD would not fit the ColorDMD. So I am not sure if that is the problem, I'll find out once they post them for sale. If might be because I do not have the files for TOM. I just do not know yet. I was able to change the color to yellow for the time being.

#148 10 years ago

Who has the best custom cards for purchase or print?

#149 10 years ago
Quoted from wdpvideo:

How did you get the file? I put my CFTBL in mind to see if it would work. Well, it sorta did. I used it because I am still restoring my CFTBL. Anyway, I got it to power up and installed. One of the cables coming off the the old DMD would not fit the ColorDMD. So I am not sure if that is the problem, I'll find out once they post them for sale. If might be because I do not have the files for TOM. I just do not know yet. I was able to change the color to yellow for the time being.

The machine was not mine it belongs to another collector. I'm sure it was the official Color DMD programmed by the creator. It might have been the prototype/beta. The bad part? I didn't take any pics because I thought it was out already.

#150 10 years ago

I got one last year and fully brassed it out. Looking forward to adding the color DMD and a working saw blade.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wilsonville, OR
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Manteca, CA
$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs

$ 130.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 47.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

€ 150.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
TheDudeMods

€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 33.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Machine - For Sale
Sandy Springs, GA
$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 29.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 11.95
$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

There are 4,305 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 87.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/theatre-of-magic-club/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.