IMG_9247 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9231 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0920 (resized).jpeg
DSCN3296 (resized).JPG
DSCN3295 (resized).JPG
DSCN3294 (resized).JPG
DSCN3293 (resized).JPG
DSCN3292 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider nickbuol.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

281 posts in this topic match your search for posts by nickbuol. You are on page 2 of 2.
#2870 4 years ago
Quoted from monkfe:

HI Gents, looking to pickup a TOM this week and join the club and had a question on the saw blade mod. I saw the video made by Pinball brotherhood which used a real saw blade and the existing bracket. Is this still available to purchase(can't seem to find a web site)? if not does someone have a link to a DIY link as 300 for this mod is steep for what it is. Going through this tread is time consuming, only up to page 12. Looking forward to this machine, but I see a lot of people who have said they sold it as it wasn't very deep. I have a TZ and love that machine and these era machines I seem to gravitate too.

Yeah, way back in the day you could get a kit for the saw blade motorization for like $75. By the time I decided to add one, I was stuck with either some DIY option using a computer fan as the motor, or the expensive kit with the marquee. I got my combo kit somewhere else and the marquee looks a little different, and it wasn't $300. I was feeling the pain at $200 for the combo a few years back.

#2873 4 years ago
Quoted from monkfe:

Thanks gents, picked up the game and still going through it...lubed the chest gearbox, flippers need rebuilding...and all that new machine stuff. But looking at this tiger mod, I can find the rom no problem ver 1.4H that works with the tiger mod, but the u22 seems to be a problem. Anyone know where to obtain that?

Yeah, they have been scarce for a little while now.

eBay has a listing for 2 U22 chips, but one is for Medieval Madness, for $55. Maybe you could make an offer just for the TOM one?

ebay.com link: Lot of 2 Williams WPC S CPU U22 security chips Medieval Madness Theatre of magic

Just an option. The usual places seem to be out.

In case you didn't have it already, the part number is A-5400-50039-1

I've found in the past that searching by part number and searching by description can yield different results.

Good luck.

2 weeks later
#2893 4 years ago
Quoted from floom:

Hi,
I'm have a TOM since a few week and working to fix many things on it. This is my first pinball.
I'm currently looking for a good quality file to print a new translite, do you have one ?
Thank you
I'm french so be nice with my english please

I did some online searching and didn't find much. There are people selling translites, but not the files to print your own.

2 months later
#2954 4 years ago
Quoted from arcadenerd925:

I expect to be joining this club one way or another this weekend (super stoked)
Option A: Has the ball save pop-up installed (not a prototype, so this was added)
Option B: Does not have it
Seems like a cool feature, but I assume rare to see due to the nature of what you have to do to add it!
I know this is subjective, but what do you guys think about seeing this ball save mod on this machine? Wear around it seems minimal. I am just curious if it adds to the value of the machine or subtracts from it.
Cheers!

I agree with others that I remember a time when people were trying to add these to their tables, but few ever did. Personally, I wouldn't care for it since I could never go back to full original with it and it add a new wear point to the table. Just my opinion.

1 week later
#2967 3 years ago
Quoted from arcadenerd925:

Super stoked to be a member of this club. I appreciate the feedback (as well as those that PM'd) about the pop up ball saver. I opted to pass on that machine, the owner was super nice (and his machine was a beauty) I just determined that feature was not for me. I ended up grabbing a machine that was a little bit closer and in great shape.
The only issue is that it has the saw mod but it does not appear to function, will need to investigate that one further.
Also, it is running 1.2. Is it worth upgrading to 1.3? Do i need 1.3 for a color DMD? (Since I know I will be adding that eventually)[quoted image]

Congrats.
Yeah, according to the ColorDMD website a requirement is rom 1.3x.

The ColorDMD is really awesome for this machine though. Probably my favorite mod/upgrade. It isn't cheap, but it also isn't the most expensive thing I've done.

#2970 3 years ago
Quoted from Lhyrgoif:

Tigersaw mod is only supported in certain rom versions (cant remember which).

Depends on the specific mod actually. Some older ones required rom 1.4h. This was back when you get get it for about $75. I bought mine a few years ago, for a lot more money, but it works with rom 1.3x

Added over 4 years ago:

UPDATE: By "get it for $75" I was talking about the tiger saw kit, not the ROM.

3 weeks later
#2995 3 years ago
Quoted from SDAmusements:

The fuse for the trunk magnet blew, replaced it and it's working intermittently. Hasn't blown again yet, but the magnet isn't always grabbing the balls. Does the magnet need to be replaced or is that a board problem?

Is the game registering trunk "hits?" If not, you might need to adjust the eddy board (sorry for mis-typing "opto board") under the playfield right in front of the trunk.

4 months later
#3155 3 years ago

I would love a copy of the latest of that too if anyone is willing to send it. I have the ones still available in that thread, but they weren't the latest. Thank you.

3 weeks later
#3164 3 years ago
Quoted from eb94114:

Wondering if someone here can help. A friend is working on helping me get my ToM back in good shape, and he's trying to fix the Levitating Woman insert that is missing some color at the top as you can see in this picture. He has scans of the insert words that are in black and white, but we're trying to get it sized with the right blue color in there. It's driving me nuts as it is right smack in the middle of the playfield of course.
Has anyone done this color correction before or have an insert that they've created? Or would anyone know how to add the right color if I send you the black and white scan? I'd be happy to contribute to your efforts or buy a decal that you've created. This is not something I am good at, that's for sure.
Please do PM me if you are able to help. Thanks so much.[quoted image]

I can't help, but if you find a solution, let me know. I've owned my TOM since 1998. From the start it had one issue with with playfield.... The "A" in MAGIC is chipped away on my otherwise really great condition playfield. I've asked for help over the years. Decal sets that you buy have their own issues with not truly matching the rest of the playfield or colors being off. There was the option of printing a few pages worth of replacement options on clear decal paper all with slightly different color hues to find the closest match and then use that one as a replacement. Then I would have had to remove the insert, scrape off the rest of the "A", add the new decal, add clearcoat, and reseat the insert so that it wasn't above the playfield. It still wouldn't be a perfect repair. The only other option that was recommended would be a full playfield tear down and repair. This would fix any issues at all and not just the "A" for me and would run about $1000. It would take many many months before I would get it back. I was SO close to doing this, but just worry that even with tons of photos and videos I would still struggle to reassemble. I then almost bought a reproduction playfield from Mirco when they first came out, but the reproduction film that he was able to purchase was a "Sun Process" one with a lot more purple, and less clarity than the more desirable "TAG" (Thomas A. Grant) version like I had in my machine already. The idea of a replacement playfield was a nice one though as I would put the new and old side-by-side and swap everything, but not having the colors or detail that I wanted was more important to me.

So at this point I just play mine as is. It is right in the middle of the playfield like yours is, but honestly, most casual players that come over (family/friends) actually don't look that close at the playfield. If I ever do decide to do something about it, I would probably duck it up and ship off the playfield to get everything fixed and clear-coated.

#3169 3 years ago

I actually bought a set of those years ago and the dots around the M-A-G-I-C letters are bigger than what it on the playfield, and the colors don't match. The only way to get them to look consistent would be to replace all 5 letters....

#3170 3 years ago
Quoted from Andypc:

Have you both thought of looking out for a donor playfield. i.e. if someone does a playfield swap for a Mirco playfield, but the old one doesn't have a problem with the Levitating Woman or the A inserts. You could then swap in an original insert.

I actually had some PMs going with someone who put in a Mirco playfield and was willing to basically let me "borrow" his old playfield to send off to be fixed and then after I swapped everything I would send him my current playfield after I did the swap. The problem was that his playfield was in a *lot* worse shape than mine, so the repair cost would have been higher and then around that time we hit a family medical emergency that nixed the whole idea. That was mid-2019. I then forwarded the pictures to HSA, but the main guy retired and I wasn't sure if I was ready to be an early test subject with the new person/company (Las Vegas Playfields) doing it although they might be totally great at this point...

I have since fallen out of touch with him (the pinsider) and figured that he either sold it by now or something, but I guess I don't know for sure. Maybe I will have to revisit that idea, not that coming into Christmas time and those expenses make for a great time to do it, but still... His playfield was a bit of a mess for sure.

1 month later
#3189 3 years ago
Quoted from dq13:

On the hunt for a playfield protector for my ToM. Are the German manufacturers the only avenue for distribution? The shipping is 40% of the cost!

Yeah, might be just that one place makes them and sells them. Saw this as well. About $180-$185 USD shipped, similar to the eBay listing, same specs.

https://www.playfield-protectors.com/Home/Details/JpMW1XF13EWCh0MavyyHkA?categoryid=22&category=Playfield%20Protectors

3 months later
#3231 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Does it have the pop-up center post/plastic disk between the flippers? Its controlled by the poof targets.
If so. I would buy it immefiately.

Agreed. If it has the pop-up then snag it now. If not, then it really does confirm that it was a mod add-on (a popular one as mentioned).

#3234 3 years ago
Quoted from AAAV8R:

So I’m seeing these TOMs with brass plated
- side rails
- lockdown bar
- coin door
When these get sent in, do you have to prep them first, or does the service do that for you as well?
- Ballpark estimate for the total cost? (“Asking for a friend”)

I sent mine off and included re-brassing the wireforms, Spirit Ring, and I also had them do the ramp flaps, entrance ramp itself too and bought a new set of brass plated legs and bolts while I was at it. I did NOT do the coindoor. To me I don't like that look. Everything came out to $850 about 6 years ago.

#3238 3 years ago
Quoted from marioparty34:

Can you please post a pic? I don't think I have seen this before.

I did a quick google search for Theatre of Magic Prototype, and the first result brought me back to Pinside. Check out the 2nd photo in this post....

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-this-a-prototype-tom

#3251 3 years ago
Quoted from dung:

Put a pin2dmd in my tom today. Currently running 1.2 but if anyone has the soren patch for 1.3 please let me know.

Sending you a PM.

6 months later
#3406 2 years ago

How hard is this to upgrade?

Is it just removing the old chip and putting the new one in (after getting it burned to a chip) as long as the security chip isn't newer than 1.3?
Then just re-setting up any ROM settings I assume?

#3408 2 years ago

Just ordered it from MBA. I already have the 539 security chip since I was running 1.3x already, so it should be a quick upgrade.

3 months later
#3531 2 years ago

I used a small fiberglass kit and reinforced the inside of my NOS truck when I put it in my TOM a few years ago. Still looks brand new. Then again, it isn't like mine gets played a ton anyway...

5 months later
#3671 1 year ago
Quoted from Gillen:

I need some help! My ToM have star posts that are green, yellow, purple, red, amber and white... it's a frigging rainbow.
My guess is that back in the day an operator just quickly changed them to get the game running.
I've been reading the manual and it mention both clear and amber posts, but nowhere I see where each colour should be used. Am I missing something? Tried searching and looking at ALL pictures here but I can't really find a good answer where they should go or if that's the correct colours.
Cheers.

I've owned my TOM since 1997 (second owner) and it has all red star posts, which I have no reason to think that they weren't original from the factory. I can't imagine using the orange-ish amber on something with such a red-based playfield. I'm sure someone who is some sort of TOM "curator" will verify, but I wanted to share what I've had in mine at least from it's 2nd/3rd (depending on how you count it) year of existence.

2 months later
#3770 1 year ago

UPDATE: I am traveling for work and couldn't check myself, but wanted to get the order in (bored at the hotel, so I am spending money). I just found some pictures, made some counts and looked up the type, and just ordered 30 for now in Sunlight. I think that the game will look really good when I get rid of the pink bulbs.

Does anyone know how many GI bulbs are in a TOM?

I bought a LED "kit" years ago, and I am tired of the light "pink" LED GI lights that came in the kit and want to go white.

Any ideas of how many are needed, the type of bulb (so that I get the bulb right) or even a recommendation on exact bulbs to buy would be great.

Thanks all!

#3775 1 year ago

UPDATE: I am going to try the things listed in this post... https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/theatre-of-magic-no-popper-or-slingshot-working-
For some reason I wasn't getting good search results and then AFTER I made this post, I found this one.

ORIGINAL POST:
I'm having some issues with my TOM tonight. I was going to play a few games before starting to swap out my pink and purple GI LEDs for Comet Sunlights, and things didn't go so well...

We moved fairly recently and my TOM travelled about 1300 miles. I unboxed it and set it up, but never had time to try it out until tonight.

Anyway, a lot of things work, but many key things don't.

Here is what doesn't work:
Slingshots
Poppers
The "Advance Bonus" roll-overs at the top

Here is what does work:
Flippers
All targets
All other roll-overs and switches
Spirit Ring
Magnet on the trunk
Vanish
Spinner
Trunk post
Trap door
Hocus Pocus

I have a few mods that all work too. The motorized tiger saw, Pinduino, colorDMD all work.

I grabbed my volt meter and started checking fuses, and did find one bad one. It was actually visibly bad too. In the backbox, the upper left board (Fliptronic I believe), there is a 2x2 grouping of fuses and it was the lower left, if that matters. Replaced it with the same fuse type and still nothing.

Any ideas on where to start troubleshooting? I've had my TOM since 1998, and have had very few problems with the machine, but this half way across the county move seems to have been a little bit of a rough journey.

Thanks.

#3777 1 year ago
Quoted from EStroh:

You realize all of those items are in the same switch column, right?

Sorry, you are talking to a guy that has only ever owned 2 pinball machines in my life, and while I have had my TOM since 1998, it has been pretty error/maintenance free.

So excuse my ignorance were, but what does that mean? Thanks.

#3779 1 year ago
Quoted from pete_d:

While your machine has some switches with dedicated signal lines, most of them are handled via a "matrix", where the electronics selectively scans a group of switches at a time. This allows, for example, handling as many as 64 switches with just 16 wires and digital inputs.
EStroh is pointing out that your non-working switches are all in the same column of that matrix, which suggests (strongly suggests) that the fault lies in the one line coming from the circuit board that provides the signal ("strobes") that column. Maybe just a loose connection somewhere. Though it could be a failed component on the circuit board. The point is, knowing the fault is in a single column allows you to narrow your search for the problem significantly.

Ah. Makes sense.

So I traced out the Green-Blue wire from J207 pin 6 and I looked at all solder connections and they looked good.

There are no burn marks on any of the plugs for the CPU Security Board (that has the J207 socket on it).

I tested continuity with my volt meter from the blue-green pin 6 wire from the J207 plug in the backbox to all of the places it connected (both slings, the 3 jets, and the lane 1 and 2 switches) and they all came back good.

I looked at the other wires that weren't green-blue for each of the connected items, and they all looked good too.

I went into the test menu and did solenoid tests for the slings and 3 jets/poppers and they all worked in the test menu.

Still no change overall.

The switches aren't registering being hit for any of them whether physically responsive or in the switch test...

4 months later
#4007 1 year ago
Quoted from runofkings:

The playfield is a new Mirco TOM playfield. I read posts with concerns over the colors used by Mirco on his TOM playfields, but it seems to me that most of those concerns have been addressed, because the playfield I received is nearly identical, if not superior, to the original... and without all of the wear, of course.

Couple of questions if you don't mind.

1) How long ago did you get your Mirco playfield?
2) Can you post a picture of the lower 1/3 (approximately) with just normal house lights on and no playfield lighting? Looking to see if he is making the international versions where the red on the playfield blends to a purple towards the bottom, or if it is like the US versions that stays red.

Thanks.

#4012 1 year ago
Quoted from runofkings:

I purchased my Mirco playfield back in May of 2022. As you requested, attached is an image of the lower portion of the Mirco playfield. I've also attached an example of one of the art elements that I think looks better on the Mirco than the original TAG playfield (at least mine does). When I hold up my original TAG playfield with the new Mirco playfield, it's really hard to spot differences. Hope this helps!
[quoted image][quoted image]

Thanks so much. The last time I checked in on his playfields, he was using the Sun Process (less desirable and more "purple colored") version. I have some emails back and forth with him and he didn't even know that there was more than 1 version of the playfield at the time. He said that he would "look into" the TAG films. Looks like he either found them or adjusted what he had. I do like the increased clarity of the colors, like in your "SPELL THEATRE" pictures too. Mine look like your original one did.

In all honesty, my playfield is in really good overall condition except for one spot. When I got my TOM back in 1998, the "A" insert in M-A-G-I-C was slightly raised and chipped. It has continued to chip over time of course. It has always bothered me, and I could send the playfield off to get fully restored, but that costs more than a Mirco replacement and takes a LOT more time between sending off and getting it back. Sure, a Mirco playfield might not be "original" but it sure would look nice. I've already fully restored my cabinet, re-brassed everything, and cleaned up any issues minus the playfield itself, so it is probably time to add this to the project list.

One last question. How well were the holes/dimples on the playfield when you went to populate the new one? Earlier versions had complaints of missing or misaligned holes.

3 weeks later
#4017 1 year ago
Quoted from tlon:

Who / how did you do the rebrassing?

Chris Royalty (sc93cobra) from pinballplating.com

1 month later
#4074 10 months ago
Quoted from tlon:

Hey just a quick FYI there is a new source of Silicone replacement trunks out of Italy. I connected with an individual that has crafted a legit replica from an indestructible silicone (he demonstrates “sending” the box with a 3 wood driver no harm to the box. He is really novice at international shipping; I used a local friend to forward the package from Italy to the USA… but the workmanship is great and it is indestructible!
[quoted image]

I've always wanted to put one of these in my TOM for regular play and save a NOS stock for posterity. I have not been a big fan of the paint bleed on these though, but for regular use I would still love to get one.

1 week later
#4096 10 months ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

He wants $240 for the rubber trunk.
Its a bit high for what it is IMHO.

I was quoted 240 Euro for one shipped to Florida, so almost $260 USD. I agree it is a bit steep, for me anyway.

2 months later
#4160 8 months ago
Quoted from radial_head:

Well I've finally joined the club. Bit the bullet and bought a pretty nice original one locally (got a good price for it so I'm happy with it).
A few things: the playfield has some GOOFY mylar on it that I plan on replacing. I was hoping to do some work leveling the inserts before I do that, but I've never leveled inserts on a WPC era game where there's some pretty heavy original clear over the artwork and inserts. Any tips other than making sure I cut the old insert out with a REALLY sharp razor blade and make sure I do a nice clean job gluing it back in?
Anybody have a case for putting mylar over the whole main playfield area rather than just the insert area? Was planning on doing a scan and cutting the mylar to shape of the insert areas in question.
In addition: I'm on the hunt for a new trunk, unbreakable or not. Mine is fine but I have a customer looking for one.
[quoted image]

Welcome to the club... For the trunk, you can always get the one from eBay for $22.... Only $90 shipping though... Most other mainstream vendors were priced around $130 USD, so that eBay one might not be that bad. They are just trying to keep their eBay fees low. Otherwise it seems like you have to go internationally to get one and those are from lesser known sites, so it could be risky.

5 months later
#4269 74 days ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Is there any interest in a TOM trunk repo?
My vendor has reached out to me and asked if I had any interest.
I don't own the game; so, have no experience on the availability of this part.[quoted image]

I am interested in 1 if there are enough in your order (sounds like I might have missed your desired purchase timeframe of this weekend that is rapidly coming to an end.)

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Wanted
$ 29.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Manteca, CA
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 38.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 275.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 33.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Sandy Springs, GA
8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wilsonville, OR
$ 47.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

€ 150.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
TheDudeMods

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
281 posts in this topic match your search for posts by nickbuol. You are on page 2 of 2.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider nickbuol.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/theatre-of-magic-club/page/2?tu=nickbuol and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.