DSCN3293 (resized).JPG
DSCN3292 (resized).JPG
DSCN3291 (resized).JPG
DSCN3290 (resized).JPG
DSCN3289 (resized).JPG
DSCN3288 (resized).JPG
DSCN3287 (resized).JPG
IMG_2893 (resized).jpg

There are 4,295 posts in this topic. You are on page 27 of 86.
#1301 7 years ago
Quoted from Robl45:

I was planning on comet. So do they dim correctly or no? Will purple gi look good?

They will not dim correctly. In terms of colored GI -- that is completely up to you. Personally, I like everything white to make the playfield easier to see. I also add spot lights off the slings to help brighten the middle.

#1302 7 years ago

Here's a video that shows the GI OCD dimming
Keep in mind as with all LEDs it looks better in person LOL

#1303 7 years ago
Quoted from Drewblood419:

» YouTube video

That would be a fantastic video if it was focused

#1304 7 years ago

OK. I am in need of some quick assistance.

In all of my photos and videos, I seemed to have missed one thing. This is the LAST item that needs to be done besides installing the last 4 brass pieces that are yet to come back in from their re-do. (oh, and the Pinduino needs to be connected to the backbox, but I want to wait until I can fire everything else up first before adding a new element to the mix).

What I need help with is the speaker wiring. I de-soldered the wiring, and it marked the wires, but somehow I can't make sense of my notes. Lesson learned. Anything that is worthy of being labeled, should be labeled clearly and a photo would be good.

So I have stock speakers. I just need to know how the backbox speakers are wired so that I get them correct and not reversed. Heck, even a closeup photo of the speakers with the wires visible would be helpful as I should be able to at least tell which wire goes to which post on the speakers.

Thanks in advance.

#1305 7 years ago
Quoted from nickbuol:

I just need to know how the backbox speakers are wired so that I get them correct and not reversed. Heck, even a closeup photo of the speakers with the wires visible would be helpful as I should be able to at least tell which wire goes to which post on the speakers.

I'd take a photo myself, but I re-wired the speakers differently when I performed my speaker upgrade. I found this helpful, however, for understanding the original wiring method, and you could probably use this as a reference:

http://www.dziedzic.us/wpc_speaker_sound_info.html

#1306 7 years ago
Quoted from nickbuol:

(oh, and the Pinduino needs to be connected to the backbox, but I want to wait until I can fire everything else up first before adding a new element to the mix).

Very good idea. Keep me posted as to how everything comes together and if you run into any problems.

#1307 7 years ago
Quoted from jsa:

I'd take a photo myself, but I re-wired the speakers differently when I performed my speaker upgrade. I found this helpful, however, for understanding the original wiring method, and you could probably use this as a reference:
http://www.dziedzic.us/wpc_speaker_sound_info.html

Wow. I forgot about that webpage. I stumbled upon it a while back, and forgot about it.

Should be helpful... Thanks.

#1308 7 years ago

Joining the club. Finally got a TOM after years of looking for just the right one. Been restoring games for almost 20 years and have a bunch of cool customization ideas for her. Things be working on and hope they will be awesome!

IMG_0260 (resized).JPGIMG_0260 (resized).JPG

#1309 7 years ago

Spinning saw first thing you Should do. But please think before putting a spinning metal saw blade in a wood pinball machine. The plastic blade is plenty cool.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/diy-tom-tiger-saw-mod-for-14h-rom-based-on-the-former-pin-logic-kit

#1310 7 years ago

Agreed. I really like the motorized saw blade and I also agree that the stock blade (or even a gold mirrored one) looks better to me than a real blade.

I still remember when you could get kits for like $70. Now they are almost $300 with the Marquee mirror. Alas, I bought one of those latter kits. I love it, but it was far from affordable. Kind of like the little magic wands with an LED in them. People want $100 for basically a $4 wand, cut in half, with a LED and some wire shoved down into it, some clips on the end and a little mount. Less than $10 in parts, plus a little time, but not much, and that somehow equals $100? Then again, I did buy that aforementioned saw and marquee kit for a lot more than the parts and assembly.

LEDs are popular and can run upwards of $200. I like the ColorDMD after the LEDs, but that is another $400. Fresh "gold" (brass) all around can set you back about $850 or so depending on where you get it done and how much you have them do (plus buying new vs. having them clean up and plate your existing).

There are other, smaller items that are nice. I've got some toppers for my flipper bats. Subtle, but a nice touch and only about $10. You can buy or make your own chains and lock(s) for the top of your trunk. I did that twice, and like my current design a lot more. Total cost was about $15, with enough materials left over to make about 3-4 more.

Don't forget about the Pinduino. Looks super cool in the videos. I am hoping to get mine connected after Thanksgiving.

All sorts of little mods and trinkets that you can add, just don't clutter it up too much.

Have fun, and welcome to the club.

#1311 7 years ago

joined the club this past weekend.
mine has version 1.10 x
havent seen this version listed on ipbd.
should i update to 1.14?

IMG_9015 (resized).JPGIMG_9015 (resized).JPG

IMG_9016 (resized).JPGIMG_9016 (resized).JPG

#1312 7 years ago
Quoted from Drewblood419:

» YouTube video

When does it actually dim. I tried looking on mine and couldn't see it.

#1313 7 years ago
Quoted from Robl45:

When does it actually dim. I tried looking on mine and couldn't see it.

The dimming effects are easiest to see when Multiball starts. The whole machine dims to black right before it starts.

#1314 7 years ago

so I see the dimming now, lets say I went with normal bulbs for GI and LED for the inserts, would that work? Features work? Could I use purple normal GI bulbs or would they be too dark?

#1315 7 years ago

A number of people leave the GI as "regular" incandescent bulbs, probably for that reason.

Not sure about the usability of colored incandescent bulbs though. In order to be bright enough, they would have to be a higher wattage, which probably would be too much.

I have LEDs everywhere, and don't have a huge issue with the dimming, but again, the OCD boards are on my wish list for some point in the future.

#1316 7 years ago
Quoted from nickbuol:

A number of people leave the GI as "regular" incandescent bulbs, probably for that reason.
Not sure about the usability of colored incandescent bulbs though. In order to be bright enough, they would have to be a higher wattage, which probably would be too much.
I have LEDs everywhere, and don't have a huge issue with the dimming, but again, the OCD boards are on my wish list for some point in the future.

Did you just turn off the dimming?

#1317 7 years ago

I wouldn't turn the dimming off you lose a really cool effect IMO. I bit the bullet and paid to get the GI OCD so I got the full package brightness and all I really think it was worth it I went purples under the purple plastics red under ramps and white under slings, rollovers and back curtains. Keep in mind the back box is controlled GI too and really looks cool when it all goes dark

#1318 7 years ago

I recently purchased a theatre 3 months ago and just now updated the rom to 1.4hb (home coin). saving data to eprom is a lot easier then I anticipated, the hardest part was realizing that in order to copy, you had to keep the chips in the UV for at least 10 minutes to get rid of all the data first.

I was looking at the two things this update adds. Tiger saw the main reason I got 1.4 instead of 1.3 and the center post. The whole time playing this game I had no idea what the hell that poof target did. Of course after reading the 1.4 rom notes it made sense.

Just trying to find out if anyone has actually gone through with this mod and had no regrets doing it. I was thinking about doing it, mainly just to try it. Figured if it didn't work out I could just disable the post. From my understanding once you install it there is no going back.

From what I've read you have to take out the insert and expand the circle slightly in order to fit the center post. I have a champions pub and like the post, but honestly could go either way with that one. Since that post made it to the final cut I'll leave it enabled.

#1319 7 years ago

I remember seeing someone's post about installing that pop-up post, but honestly, it was a bit lacking in cleanliness for my tastes. They had to drill a hole elsewhere in the playfield (they did it in front of the left flipper) for the "shoot again" insert, and then put in a post.

No idea how well it does or does not work though. I am pretty sure that they had to use a non-Williams/Bally part for the pop-up between the flippers, but that is all I remember about it.

#1320 7 years ago
Quoted from nickbuol:

I remember seeing someone's post about installing that pop-up post, but honestly, it was a bit lacking in cleanliness for my tastes. They had to drill a hole elsewhere in the playfield (they did it in front of the left flipper) for the "shoot again" insert, and then put in a post.
No idea how well it does or does not work though. I am pretty sure that they had to use a non-Williams/Bally part for the pop-up between the flippers, but that is all I remember about it.

Dave Zabriskie (did the sound work for ToM) has a prototype with the Magic Post. Would it be useful to have some photos of the post, top and bottom? I think one of his kids might have it now but I'm sure we could work it out.

#1321 7 years ago

Is the post really worth it? It's not like you just put it in. I won't go drilling my Playfield for it. Love the spinning saw though.

#1322 7 years ago
Quoted from jsa:

Dave Zabriskie (did the sound work for ToM) has a prototype with the Magic Post. Would it be useful to have some photos of the post, top and bottom? I think one of his kids might have it now but I'm sure we could work it out.

That would be cool if you could get it. any methods people used would really help.

Also I was messing around with 1.4hb making sure everything played the same. I was used to playing 1.2, but I figured the differences aren't noticeable. Then I hit the basement and it only awarded points it doing have the person going down the step like usual, and like usual didn't randomly pick an special item ex. (extra ball, digital pinball, spell magic, etc...). It just gave me points and kicked the ball back out. Tried 1.4h to make sure and it did the same thing. Went though the revision changes to make sure I didn't miss it and there was no mention of it. Looked though the options and there is no option to my knowledge.

don't know if having colordmd makes a difference.

#1323 7 years ago

Just downloaded 1.3x and put it in. The basement is working like it did in 1.2. Is this something that was intended to be left out, if so how come there is no mention of it anywhere?

#1324 7 years ago
Quoted from hocuslocus:

Just downloaded 1.3x and put it in. The basement is working like it did in 1.2. Is this something that was intended to be left out, if so how come there is no mention of it anywhere?

Mine gives other things, its just mostly probably 8 out of 10 times light extra ball. It did do digital pinball one time, but definitely does not seem to be random picking exactly like it should.

#1325 7 years ago
Quoted from hocuslocus:

That would be cool if you could get it. any methods people used would really help.
Also I was messing around with 1.4hb making sure everything played the same. I was used to playing 1.2, but I figured the differences aren't noticeable. Then I hit the basement and it only awarded points it doing have the person going down the step like usual, and like usual didn't randomly pick an special item ex. (extra ball, digital pinball, spell magic, etc...). It just gave me points and kicked the ball back out. Tried 1.4h to make sure and it did the same thing. Went though the revision changes to make sure I didn't miss it and there was no mention of it. Looked though the options and there is no option to my knowledge.
don't know if having colordmd makes a difference.

If you happen to have it in tournament mode,the random awards are turned off and it just awards points. You may want to check that setting.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#1326 7 years ago
Quoted from lyonsden:

If you happen to have it in tournament mode,the random awards are turned off and it just awards points. You may want to check that setting.

ahhh.... that makes pefect sense. love this forum, thank you.
I know usually tournaments take away certain items but that seems like a pretty big perk to take away.

never used tournament mode in any game, I understand what it is, but never really understood how to enable it in bally/Williams games. I just assumed you had to push another button or combination of buttons, similar to stern games.

#1327 7 years ago

I finally got around to installing the tiger saw mod on mine.I'm running 1.2. Are the differences in 1.3 and 1.4 significant?Pinball 117 (resized).jpgPinball 117 (resized).jpg

I also wonder if there should be a rubber at the top of the launch ramp? Thoughts?Pinball 118 (resized).jpgPinball 118 (resized).jpg

#1328 7 years ago
Quoted from Skypilot:

I finally got around to installing the tiger saw mod on mine.I'm running 1.2. Are the differences in 1.3 and 1.4 significant?
I also wonder if there should be a rubber at the top of the launch ramp? Thoughts?

No rubber at the top of the launch ramp, but you could but some deadening foam there.

From the release notes from 1.4H:

This is the Theatre of Magic 1.4 Home ROM. It supports the Magic Post and
Tiger Saw motor on prototype playfields. There are no adjustments to
control the behavior of these devices.

YOU NEED A #124 PIC TO USE THIS VERSION.

New coil assignments:
---------------------

Coil 19 = Drive to tiger saw EMI board. Use 12V supply for pin 3 of board.
Coil 23 = Flash drive for Magic Post.
Coil 36 = Solenoid drive for Magic Post (UL Flipper Hold).

1.40H u6.pp = CB14 10/31/96

The Tiger Saw runs during Tiger Saw mode and Tiger Saw Multiball. It also
spins briefly when the captive ball is hit.

#1329 7 years ago
Quoted from hocuslocus:

ahhh.... that makes pefect sense. love this forum, thank you.
I know usually tournaments take away certain items but that seems like a pretty big perk to take away.
never used tournament mode in any game, I understand what it is, but never really understood how to enable it in bally/Williams games. I just assumed you had to push another button or combination of buttons, similar to stern games.

It is set under the standard feature menu: A.1 26

Screen Shot 2016-11-28 at 7.13.55 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2016-11-28 at 7.13.55 PM (resized).png

#1331 7 years ago

So I replaced a burned out GI bulb in the sling and looked under the playfield and noticed at least on TOM that probably half the bulbs or more are sitting horizontally. Do you need flex LED bulbs for all of those locations or just for the T and E in theatre? Those flex bulbs are double the price.

#1332 7 years ago
Quoted from Robl45:

So I replaced a burned out GI bulb in the sling and looked under the playfield and noticed at least on TOM that probably half the bulbs or more are sitting horizontally. Do you need flex LED bulbs for all of those locations or just for the T and E in theatre? Those flex bulbs are double the price.

I've used the Cointaker flex bulbs. The total cost of ownership of all my LEDs (I bought them bit by bit over time all from Cointaker, mostly the Supers, Retros and Super Flexes, along with Super flashers as well) wasn't much more than a kit and I'm really happy with it.

When I got my ToM, 3/4 of the bulbs were LED and the rest were still incandescent or burnt out. The LEDs were all over the map, early era dim ones and newer ones, so I nuked them all and started from scratch with a consistent type. On it's own, it was a great improvement. Then I added the GI and LED OCD boards, and well, it's insanely amazing now, IMHO.

#1333 7 years ago
Quoted from jsa:

I've used the Cointaker flex bulbs. The total cost of ownership of all my LEDs (I bought them bit by bit over time all from Cointaker, mostly the Supers, Retros and Super Flexes, along with Super flashers as well) wasn't much more than a kit and I'm really happy with it.
When I got my ToM, 3/4 of the bulbs were LED and the rest were still incandescent or burnt out. The LEDs were all over the map, early era dim ones and newer ones, so I nuked them all and started from scratch with a consistent type. On it's own, it was a great improvement. Then I added the GI and LED OCD boards, and well, it's insanely amazing now, IMHO.

The OCD boards are amazing - I wish videos did them justice....but they don't.

#1334 7 years ago
Quoted from jsa:

I'm thinking 2smd bulbs from comet, but the 2 flex head bulbs are literally double the price or so. 65 cents versus 1.19 per bulb, so I'm trying to figure out if I really need the flex everywhere. I saw a picture of someone doing leds like 7 years ago and T and E were not lit as much. Im fine with flex there, but if I need flex in every horizontal holder, the game is probably going to have to wait.

#1335 7 years ago
Quoted from Robl45:

I'm thinking 2smd bulbs from comet, but the 2 flex head bulbs are literally double the price

I used a lot of single SMD flex heads for ToM on the sideways mounted sockets, but used the doubles for lighting Grand Finale in the middle of the PF. It is a large insert light by two side-mounted 555s.

#1336 7 years ago
Quoted from Robl45:

if I need flex in every horizontal holder

Incandescent bulbs throw light in all directions, LED's are very directional. So anywhere a bulb is not pointing directly at an insert you need to use a flex, both for inserts and flashers. I am very happy with the result of the LED's for inserts, really makes them pop.

#1337 7 years ago

I thought you had said you used 2smd all around the game?

Quoted from lyonsden:

I used a lot of single SMD flex heads for ToM on the sideways mounted sockets, but used the doubles for lighting Grand Finale in the middle of the PF. It is a large insert light by two side-mounted 555s.

#1338 7 years ago
Quoted from Robl45:

I thought you had said you used 2smd all around the game?

Sorry for the confusion -- yes, I do use 2smd for nearly all of the standard 555 and 44s with frosted caps, but for flex heads, I usually use a single 5050 LED and occasionally, the double flex heads. The images are taken from Comet: http://www.cometpinball.com/category-s/1818.htm

2SMD-CT-FT-1 (resized).jpg2SMD-CT-FT-1 (resized).jpg

2SMDFLEXNG-1 (resized).jpg2SMDFLEXNG-1 (resized).jpg

1SMDFLEXNG-1 (resized).jpg1SMDFLEXNG-1 (resized).jpg

#1339 7 years ago

Here are a couple of pics from my playfield. You can see the heavy use of flex heads, the double flex for Grand Finale, and the others in the black screw sockets are twin 2835.

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#1340 7 years ago

I put LEDs in my ToM with a double flex head in the Haunted Basement insert which was a big improvement.

Quoted from Robl45:

Is the post really worth it? It's not like you just put it in. I won't go drilling my playfield for it.

My ToM is a proto with the magic post. It doesn't stay up long enough to do much good and the "up" time isn't adjustable.

#1341 7 years ago

I think that this was the thread that I originally saw a few years ago when first looking into it. It is fun to look at the pictures, in my opinion.
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/rec.games.pinball/5sic4KjVIa4

Here are some photos courtesy of "bartron" (just giving credit)
pop-up (resized).jpgpop-up (resized).jpg
pop-up2 (resized).jpgpop-up2 (resized).jpg

Here is a discussion here too:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-this-a-prototype-tom
And the photos from that post (I circled the pop-up on the bottom of the playfield image):
TOM-Proto-Tom (resized).jpgTOM-Proto-Tom (resized).jpg
TOM-Proto-Bottom (resized).jpgTOM-Proto-Bottom (resized).jpg

#1342 7 years ago

And here is a topic (was originally in Spanish) with another chat about the prototype and pop-up. They compared it to "The Champion Pub" for having one.
https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=es&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fpetacos.forumcommunity.net%2F%3Ft%3D28207720

champpub (resized).jpgchamppub (resized).jpg

There is also a video of The Champion Pub where it pops up at about 37 seconds in: The video is pretty crappy, but you can see it:

Or a better video, that shows the pop-up already up from the beginning:

Very cool idea, but like mentioned by littlecammi, it might not be that big of a deal that we don't have it stock.

#1343 7 years ago

The post if I remember from playing champion pub years ago was actually useful on that game. TOM it would pop up for a few seconds according to what I've read about the code. and only if you hit the poof target which doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

#1344 7 years ago

LEDs all done.

IMG_0883 (resized).JPGIMG_0883 (resized).JPG

#1345 7 years ago

In the club! Quick question regarding trunk Eddy board...

Mine needs constant readjustment (every couple games trunk stops registering). I want to slap in an auto sensing one but pinbits is out of stock. Is it worth the wait, or should I just order a new standard one from Marcos?

IMG_4064 (resized).JPGIMG_4064 (resized).JPG

#1346 7 years ago
Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

Mine needs constant readjustment (every couple games trunk stops registering). I want to slap in an auto sensing one but pinbits is out of stock. Is it worth the wait, or should I just order a new standard one from Marcos?

Contact Pinbits as when I purchased mine from them it showed "out of stock" but they advised me when they were getting more in! The Pinbits are the way to go! Since installing mine I have never had to do anything with them and they've worked flawlessly!

#1347 7 years ago
Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

Welcome to the club! Definitely go for the auto-sensing one from pinbits. Worth it to not have to worry about them again.

#1348 7 years ago
Quoted from lyonsden:

Welcome to the club! Definitely go for the auto-sensing one from pinbits. Worth it to not have to worry about them again.

Thanks for the tip. Will hold out. Hopefully I won't destroy it like I did your board!!!

I think I fixed it temporarily by twisting the pot back and forth for a while. Played a solid ten games and worked fine. Is it worth it to upgrade the ball save magnet boards as well?

#1349 7 years ago

Yeah, I will just repeat what has already been said, but yes, get the auto board. It is so nice not to have to remove the lockdown and glass, pop the playfield, adjust the eddy pot, drop down the playfield, install the glass, put the lockdown back on, and then just have it go out of adjustment 5-30 minutes later when the game warmed up and have to repeat the process.

#1350 7 years ago
Quoted from nickbuol:

yes, get the auto board.

Would love to, but they are sold out on pinbits page since months... any alternative sources?
Cheers

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Boulder, CO
$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room
Decorations
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley
Pinball Machine
$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs
(Alt) Translites
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs
Decals
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
9,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Other
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus
Plastics
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Wanted
$ 11.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
Boards
PinSound
Boards
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 38.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Mod Co.
Other
$ 8.50
Lighting - Led
Pinball Haus
Led
Machine - For Sale
Omaha, NE
$ 130.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus
Plastics
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 4,295 posts in this topic. You are on page 27 of 86.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/theatre-of-magic-club/page/27 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.