Quoted from nickbuol:
For those of you that have replaced ramp flaps, any tips on using tubular rivets? I have the ramp flap kit from pinbits that came with the "Pressless rivets" but I am having the darnedest time getting it to work. I am thinking that it is because I had the rivets brassed (and I assume that they were clear coated, but the washers and "rivet clips" were not plated) and they are just a little thicker than the rivet clips are designed for.
I can eventually get a clip on, but it is loose and just slides back off.
I am going to try sanding off the clear and brass from the part that you can't see, but I just didn't know if someone else has done something easier?
I only have 6 rivets total to do, so I don't want to spend a lot on a press or something. I was thinking of a rivet "round over" tool or whatever you call them, but I can only seem to find them online and I don't want to wait for shipping. Wasn't sure if a craft store would have something that would work? Just looking for ideas as these "pressless" ones aren't working.
Well, after a lot of time spent trying to find semi-tubular rivet clinching tools that weren't expensive, and even looking for hand rolling tools for rivets, I decided to grab my Dremel with a fine grit sandpaper wheel. I started at a slow speed and with a light touch. It really didn't seem to be doing much, and was tricky to do because of the small size of the rivets. Then I decided to do something different. I had been using a 2x4 under the ramp (flipped upside down) and I could see that the rivet heads were going into the wood.
I simply switched out the 2x4 with a piece of metal (an 18" metal level that I got from my dad some 15 years ago). Using the pressless rivets, everything worked with just a few taps. It was so easy. I can't believe how many hours of time I wasted looking things up online (how to videos as well as tool buying research) as well as going to 4 different stores locally today without any good luck. I did find a "star" rivet tool at Hobby Lobby, but that isn't what I wanted. Instead of just getting these ramps done tonight just after midnight (keep in mind that I also worked on this last night from about midnight until just after 3am), I would have the ramps installed now, and moved on to a lot of other work. Oh well. The 2 plastic ramps are done. I will just need to do the metal entrance ramp after it comes back from getting the brass plating fixed by Woody.
My goal for Sunday (keeping in mind that I have a few other projects to work on too) will be to get the ramps installed, including getting the wiring all snugged down with new zip ties, and hopefully all of the electrical connections completed. That will just leave the 4 pieces that Woody is fixing (entrance ramp, right wireform, apron wireform, and shooter housing) to install, connecting up the Pinduino (everything is installed but the circuit board and wire connections to the circuit board), and the coindoor. I plan to do some touch up paint work on the coindoor. It isn't bad at all, so not worth stripping it down and starting over on the finish.
I am seeing the light at the end of the tunnel to getting this back to playable condition. I can't believe that I took out the wireforms and such to send off to plating back in mid-August. It has been almost 3 months now, but the cabinet looks great with the decal and cabinet repair, the brass pieces on the machine look great, the new rubbers are nice, and the playfield is the cleanest it has ever been since I bought it in 1998. I waxed it twice too for good measure. In the end, I think that it will make my TOM a really nice specimen. I know that more people are doing the same types of things that I am doing, but it isn't a competition and different people have different levels that they want to take their machine.