IMG_9247 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9231 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0920 (resized).jpeg
DSCN3296 (resized).JPG
DSCN3295 (resized).JPG
DSCN3294 (resized).JPG
DSCN3293 (resized).JPG
DSCN3292 (resized).JPG
There are 4,306 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 87.
#451 8 years ago

I just joined yesterday. No mods or LEDs but that won't be for long!!!

image.jpgimage.jpg
#452 8 years ago

Does anyone have a good set of custom cards ready to be printed?

#453 8 years ago

W00t!

I just had my first grand finale! It only took 6 months.

1 week later
#454 8 years ago
Quoted from volkdrive:

1.3 is enough but if you want the spinning saw blade, you will need 1.4h and the updated u22. I have the blade and its very good mod, quite interactive and eye catching. Bought mine from Greg at pinballpro. And yes the color dmd for sure! Plus they just released an updated software for this game's color dmd

I'm new to pins and just picked up a TOM. Could someone explain this 1.3/1.4 stuff? What does it do,where do you get it....

#455 8 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

I'm new to pins and just picked up a TOM. Could someone explain this 1.3/1.4 stuff? What does it do,where do you get it....

They're referring to the version of software. So the 1.4 is a newer version then the 1.3. Pinball companies often release a machine where the software is either incomplete or there are bugs that need worked out. When this happens the pinball company will release an update. For Theatre of Magic you can see the versions at http://www.actionpinball.com/tech/tom.txt

When you turn your machine on look at the display and you will see what version you have!

With newer machines, Stern for example, you can simply go to their website, download the latest version onto a memory stick and then update your machine. For Theatre of Magic you will need to ROM. You can ask a Pinsider with a burner to do this for you or you can get one off of ebay!

One thing to keep in mind, sometimes the latest update is not always the best update to have! TOM is one machine where some people like 1.3 version over 1.4 and vice versa.

#456 8 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

One thing to keep in mind, sometimes the latest update is not always the best update to have! TOM is one machine where some people like 1.3 version over 1.4 and vice versa.

but if you want to have a working tiger saw, don't you need 1.4 ?

#457 8 years ago
Quoted from tonycip:

but if you want to have a working tiger saw, don't you need 1.4 ?

That was my understanding but I have the working tiger saw and am running the 1.3 version. My saw spins when I hit the Tiger Saw stand up (when lit) but maybe by having the 1.3 I am not getting all of the features that I would if I had 1.4?

I know you need the 1.4 if you install the "Magic Post".

#458 8 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

I know you need the 1.4 if you install the "Magic Post".

Magic post???

#459 8 years ago

The "Magic Post" was planned for ToM but the idea was scrapped before the machine went into production. The "Magic Post" is exactly like the "Up Post" on Bally's Power Play (BOPP) machine.

"OPTIONAL: Magic Post (working up-post between flippers) and working Tiger Saw
unit (motorized unit) which are operated by this software revision. These devices
were originally present on prototype (pre-production) models of Theatre of Magic,
so most games do not have them. An aftermarket spinning Tiger Saw kit is available
from some aftermarket sources which connects to the game and works with the
1.4H software revision (check eBay, Google search, etc. for sources)"

#460 8 years ago

Here are picts of the topper I made for mine, have had it 6 years and would never sell.all my pinball machines 011.JPGall my pinball machines 011.JPGall my pinball machines 012.JPGall my pinball machines 012.JPG

#461 8 years ago

Sorry, I forgot to upload the topper I made from my previous post.all my pinball machines 012.JPGall my pinball machines 012.JPG

#462 8 years ago

I have switch errors on my slings and pops. I cleaned them and made sure that the spacing is good. Everything works in test mode. Not sure what I should try next?

#463 8 years ago
image.jpgimage.jpg
#464 8 years ago

Does this plug in the backbox somewhere? I found it dangling...

tom.jpegtom.jpeg
tom2.jpegtom2.jpeg

#465 8 years ago

Anyone know what to look for if the trunk is starting the illusion after 3 hits, and I'm not shooting the ball into the trunk? Once the 3 hits occurs, the trunk will begin to spin to the opening, and then it will immediately start the illusion. I have the pinbits trunk auto eddy board...thats the only thing I've changed on this table so far

Dan

#466 8 years ago

Dan, did you go through the adjustment menu? Probably a rhetorical question but thought I would ask.

Good luck

#467 8 years ago

Yea everything was factory restored. It doesn't happen all the time. I just played over 20 games. Just did it now

#468 8 years ago

Which one should I put back in?

TOMramp.jpegTOMramp.jpeg

#469 8 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

Does this plug in the backbox somewhere? I found it dangling...
tom.jpeg (Click image to enlarge)
tom2.jpeg (Click image to enlarge)

bumpy bump. ?

#470 8 years ago

I installed lighted flipper buttons today. Never had a problem with them on my NGG or Congo. I followed the instructions, turned the power on and it keeps blowing fuse f116. Not sure why.

#471 8 years ago

I added a couple tigers to my TOM. I thought I would share a picture.

IMG_7866.JPGIMG_7866.JPG
1 week later
#472 8 years ago

Flasher location page 2-45, #23 says Save Post Flasher but it's not on the diagram to the right. Which bulb is that?

1 week later
#473 8 years ago

I'm baffled. Has anyone ever shot the trunk, heard a clunk and found the ball in the bottom of the cabinet?! I have today. For the life of me I can't see how. I can't repeat it now. The subway is in perfect condition no cracks or holes. How did it get through to the bottom of the game???!

#474 8 years ago

Has happened to me and same X files type experience, no idea how it happened

#475 8 years ago

Out of nowhere yesterday, my TOM starts giving me the Slam Tilt. I have to restart the game. I don't even nudge it. What is causing that and how do I stop it?

#476 8 years ago

Man...let me know if anyone wants out of the club. I want a TOM!

#477 8 years ago

You have a short somewhere. Start checking the switch by the coin door. Check for pinched wires, or close switch tabs. Typically an easy fix. Tough part is finding it. Good luck.

#478 8 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

Out of nowhere yesterday, my TOM starts giving me the Slam Tilt. I have to restart the game. I don't even Nudge it. What is causing that and how do I stop it?

It surely happens when a particular switch is triggered. (The problem is probably that a diode on a switch is shorted.)

Put the game into switch test mode and start triggering switches until you find one or more switches that is causing the game to think that there are multiple switch closures. Report back with your findings.

#479 8 years ago

I found it. It trips every time I hit the white left stand up target in front of the left ramp. I just replaced those yesterday. Loose connection? Wired backwards? It only has two wires going to it.

#480 8 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

I found it. It trips every time I hit the white left stand up target in front of the left ramp. I just replaced those yesterday. Loose connection? Wired backwards? It only has two wires going to it.

Probably wired incorrectly, but not necessarily backwards. Perhaps you bypassed the diode?

You might find it helpful to refer to this picture from PinWiki.

Red/white wire - diode - [banded side of diode] - switch (when closed) - green wire

#481 8 years ago

I probably screwed that up. Will take a look tonight. Thanks for that pic.

#482 8 years ago

Fixed it. Yay. Thank you for the help fellers.

#483 8 years ago

My nephew enjoying some TOM.

matt.jpgmatt.jpg
matt2.jpgmatt2.jpg

#484 8 years ago

After 20 years of wanting and 1 year of looking Theatre of Magic is in da House! LEDs, Tiger Saw Magic Mirror mod. Soon to have custom inside artwork once I complete it. Playing fast. Big thanks to Eric Bundy for shopping this out for me.
20150706_104544.jpg20150706_104544.jpg
20150707_140241.jpg20150707_140241.jpg

Here is a fast video

20150707_140241.jpg20150707_140241.jpg

#485 8 years ago

That does look like it plays fast.

#486 8 years ago

congrats on the addition. I love mine and is a keeper. Hope you enjoy it for years to come

#487 8 years ago

Thanks, fun to be a member of a club lol...Now I need a third machine! This is an addicting hobby.

#488 8 years ago

Dumb question: What causes the 100million jackpot callout?

#489 8 years ago

after you start multiball you have a certain amount of time 5 seconds or so to shoot a ball into the trunk when you do you get 100 million!!

#490 8 years ago

Ok. That's what I thought.
Thanks.

2 weeks later
#491 8 years ago

Anyone ever see an issue with the extra ball score skipping the first one and going straight to the second? I have my score set to factory setting (600,000,000) and set to give out an extra ball if reached. However, for some reason it doesn't award an extra ball until 1,110,000,000. I have not done anything other than replace one of the targets in front of the center ramp. Everything looks good. Gone into the menus to verify, even changed them around but still, no matter what the menu says, an extra ball is not awarded until the higher score. What could possibly cause this?

1 week later
#492 8 years ago
Quoted from Nilroc:

All things Theatre of Magic!
Thought I'd start a club because I couldn't find one.
Everyone with a TOM can chime in or those of you that have played a TOM.
This is my first pin I bought and the whole family loves it.
Always 4 players on it at a time!
Share Mods,Repairs,Stories, Pics etc.
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

How do I join the club?

#493 8 years ago
Quoted from Brian7588:

How do I join the club?

You're already in it, according to your game's list.

2 weeks later
#494 8 years ago

Looking for a decent set of shopout pics if anyone can send me a link... I would appreciate it. I suspect some of my parts are a bit hacked and may not be installed correctly.

I could use a right lane guide plastic if anyone has a decent spare. I've got all kinds of BSD & IJ plastics to trade. Also have some extra Creature plastics and ramps I'm not using.

#495 8 years ago
Quoted from MMP:

Looking for a decent set of shopout pics if anyone can send me a link... I would appreciate it.

Me too I'm a member of the club since last week and currently in the process of teardown. Especially some instructions / pics for dismantling the trunk would be awesome!

Looking so much forward to putting everything back together nice and clean!

Foto-2.JPGFoto-2.JPG

#496 8 years ago

Joining the club today. I see someone mentioned this particular machine about a year ago. I purchased it from an owner who took amazing care of it and added a few mods (including the electroplating of the rails).

Note the saw mod. My understanding is that this is an actual saw blade. I'm not entirely sure that's safe, but it looks dulled out so I don't think I'll lose a finger. I'll still keep my fingers away!

This also is my first machine! Jumping in...here goes nothing.

TOM_3.jpgTOM_3.jpg

TOM_4.jpgTOM_4.jpg

TOM_1.jpgTOM_1.jpg

TOM_2.jpgTOM_2.jpg

TOM_5.jpgTOM_5.jpg

TOM_Z.jpgTOM_Z.jpg

TOM_6.jpgTOM_6.jpg

TOM_7.jpgTOM_7.jpg

#497 8 years ago

Ahhhhhhhh, guys, Theatre is killing me. I can't get the trunk to stop shutting down during a game. I've tried everything: aluminum interrupter, new opto board, took the gearbox apart, cleaned and relubed it, finally gave up and put a whole new gearbox and motor in it... but same problem. It moves smoothly and perfectly, passes all trunk tests, and then (usually during a really good game) the ball hits the trunk when it's moving and that tiny fraction of a second of lag time when it reverses direction is enough for the software to shut it down for the game - and there's no way to get it started again without cashing the current game.

I love my Theatre but this is ruining it for me. Anyone have any fixes that I haven't heard of yet? I wish the ROM could somehow be updated to be a little more generous with the changing directions lag - literally nothing wrong with the trunk, but the software thinks there is...

#498 8 years ago

Sounds like motor leads reversed. Run the trunk test and make sure trunk is turning direction noted in test, note direction of movement shown on DMD.

#499 8 years ago
Quoted from Out-West:

Sounds like motor leads reversed. Run the trunk test and make sure trunk is turning direction noted in test, note direction of movement shown on DMD.

Thanks for the suggestion, but no, it's all wired correctly and works as it should during the test and during play - just on those occasions when the trunk is moving toward the open/start illusion position and gets hit - in those cases, it will start the illusion like it should and reverses the trunk to try and recover the correct position for the illusion, but occasionally disables it during that reversal. Hoping for something I haven't tried.

#500 8 years ago

Not absolutely sure but your opto may be set too sensitive. I have had this problem a lot and now may have it occur quite infrequently but still will happen. Try desensitizing the opto. I know when I had it real responsive I'd get phantom hits etc etc. This may help, good luck.

Oh I am assuming you know how to adjust this, if not let us know.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Wanted
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 275.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 38.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 47.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

€ 150.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
TheDudeMods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 29.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 33.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Machine - For Sale
Sandy Springs, GA
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

There are 4,306 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 87.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/theatre-of-magic-club/page/10 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.