• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20180214_082315.jpg
20180214_082323.jpg
#1 6 years ago

I'm not sure if this is the proper place to post. I damaged the top of my TOM years back by having it under a light on the wall. If anyone could please advise the simplest way to do a decent repair and what color paint would match to touch up?

20180214_082323.jpg20180214_082323.jpg

20180214_082315.jpg20180214_082315.jpg

#2 6 years ago

You might as well bondo if you're going to fix it.

#3 6 years ago

I was thinking would probably need bondo. That would work for the top, but isn't the front going to look funny? Still need to match the paint there as well.

#4 6 years ago

Gloss black for Williams/Bally cabinets

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from hAbO:

Is there a certain brand of gloss black?

#6 6 years ago

Rustolium is pretty good. That's what I use for touch ups.

#9 6 years ago

That should work fine. A brush would work for that small area but you can spray it also if you like. If you do a decent job sanding and don't glob the paint on there then it will turn out fine. Its on the top of the cabinet with no artwork on it so it will be difficult to mess it up.

#10 6 years ago

My concern would be the front where the bondo is will look different than the rest of the front. Is there just nothing that can be done about that? I'd rather not spray, that means lots of taping.

#11 6 years ago

It looks like the front doesn't have as much damage as the top. It appears like just the edge needs to be repaired.

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from hAbO:

It looks like the front doesn't have as much damage as the top. It appears like just the edge needs to be repaired.

Yes, but it will still be a bit of the front.

#13 6 years ago

It really wont be noticeable. Better than the way it is.

#14 6 years ago

so for the paint, can I just paint the area, or do I have to paint all the black around the cabinet?

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from hAbO:

Not trying to be argumentative, but I'm pretty sure it's satin black, not gloss black. You can buy spray rust oleum with the primer included, this works really well for small areas like you have if you end up taking it down to the bare wood

#17 6 years ago
Quoted from Robl45:

I was thinking would probably need bondo. That would work for the top, but isn't the front going to look funny? Still need to match the paint there as well.

I would try and match the paint best you can if you don't want to paint the whole thing. You could take a chip of paint where you are going to bondo to sherwin Williams

#18 6 years ago

Well is it satin or glossy? Don't really have any place I can take some paint from to have it matched, but after just going that with the interior wall of the house, I wouldn't have high hopes matching a glossy paint.

#19 6 years ago
Quoted from Robl45:

Well is it satin or glossy? Don't really have any place I can take some paint from to have it matched, but after just going that with the interior wall of the house, I wouldn't have high hopes matching a glossy paint.

I'm surprised no one else has commented. But I have done full cabinet restorations and small touch ups on B/W cabinets and I have always used satin black. To me it blends quite well. I would not brush paint with a regular brush, you will definitely see the strokes with black paint. For most areas I spray and just hold a piece of cardboard over the area(s) I need to protect. Cover the Playfield glass with something so paint will not settle on it from the air.
For really small areas you can spray one of those small foam brushes and use that to apply the paint and it will blend well.

I just did touch up on the front of a TOM that I picked up a few weeks ago, used the small foam brush with a little of the rustoleum satin black sprayed on the brush. You cannot see the freshly painted area.

#20 6 years ago

After coming home and looking over a few of my cabinets - its Satin. Listen, youre not going to screw up painting a part of the cabinet maybe a few people will ever notice. Its one color that you don't even have to match. You cant really mess it up except for the filling/sanding. If its not the right sheen then go glossy.

Quoted from Jenk540i:

Not trying to be argumentative, but I'm pretty sure it's satin black, not gloss black. You can buy spray rust oleum with the primer included, this works really well for small areas like you have if you end up taking it down to the bare wood

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 275.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Machine - For Sale
Sandy Springs, GA
$ 47.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
€ 150.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
TheDudeMods

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 11.95
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 29.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 38.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/theatre-of-magic-cabinet-repair and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.