New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 217757)

Theatre of Magic Buying Advice?

By jacksparrow0112

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 39 posts
  • 26 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by mrossman5
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

TOM Chipped insert due to ghosting (resized).jpg
TOM # 24 (resized).jpg
TOM # 20 (resized).jpg
TOM # 9 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jacksparrow0112.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 2 years ago

Greetings fellow pinsiders,

My wife and I are looking to purchase our first pin and both really enjoy playing Theatre of Magic. Since we are both just getting into this great hobby we are wondering what to look for when purchasing these pins. Are there specific worn/broken parts on the playfield that I should be on the lookout for when examining a used game. I am seeing these games posted on this site for $5,800-$7,200. Any advice you can provide is regarding condition and things to watch out for would be much appreciated. I am willing to drive 10-12 hours to try out a game before purchasing it so really am interested in learning what to look for in a used TOM pin.

Thanks much

Kevin

#16 2 years ago

Hi Mike - I sent you a PM about stopping over to learn more about TOM. We discovered wizard’s world last month and have been back 10-12 times in the last few weeks. In fact it is your TOM pin that we discovered and got addicted to. Thanks again for such a cool Fort Wayne destination. Now we just need to convince you to open a second location on the SW side of town

#25 2 years ago

I really appreciate everyone’s opinions as it helps me decide the best point of entry into this hobby. I do have an engineering degree focused on biomedical computer programming that did involve some basic soldering and board work. I am by no means an expert but am hoping that through YouTube and pinside I can develop a decent set of troubleshooting and technical skills that will carry me into hopefully a long future of collecting and ownership. What intrigues me about the hobby is the value the games maintain over the years. Seems like I can invest in a pin today for HUO and if I maintain it can recoup most (if not all) of the cash in the future if needed. What really helps my case is that my wife (who is usually very frugal) is all onboard the idea of going all in on a TOM pin. Hoping Mike at Fort Wayne pinball can give me some great pointers about what to look for above and below the playfield so that we get a decent game that will play well for years to come.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 499.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 19.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
$ 60.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Whitewater pinball mods
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Boards
PinSound
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 369.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus
$ 39.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Concealed Art
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
$ 47.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Belleair Blf, FL
$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Arcade Arts
$ 28.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Suamico, WI
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 49.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Machine - For Sale
Rockford, IL
$ 139.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 59.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Sales
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jacksparrow0112.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside