(Topic ID: 220048)

Theater of Magic or Scared Stiff? Thoughts?

By frankmac

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 64 posts
  • 37 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by ccbiggsoo7
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“What would you choose?”

• Theater of Magic 48 votes
    48%
  • Scared Stiff 53 votes
    52%

(101 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

FC74C142-6BA3-4F2F-AEFD-4A0997AE4E56 (resized).jpeg
There are 64 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 5 years ago

SS.

#52 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballaddicted:

I feel that TOM will be remade at some point, giving you a lot more options for that game soon.

He's looking to grab a game now, not wait three years or more for another remake. Or speculation thereof. He'll probably be way over it and on to something else by then anyway.

#53 5 years ago

haha yeah wait around for a remake fuck sakes.

#54 5 years ago

Remake probably 2028 at the rate they are going.

#55 5 years ago

both awesome games, just get the 2 of them!

#56 5 years ago

That is a tough one. Owned both but would lean towards SS. Based on gameplay, Shot selection and overall fun factor. Besides there always seemed to be something wrong with that trunk on TOM. Be it mechanical or the ball getting stuck.

#57 5 years ago

I would rather smash my nuts with a hammer than pay the going price for either of these "gems". But come back later and I'll tell you how I really feel.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#58 5 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

I would rather smash my nuts with a hammer than pay the going price for either of these "gems". But come back later and I'll tell you how I really feel.

Wanna buy my ToM for $7K?
*smash*smash*smash*

#59 5 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

Wanna buy my ToM for $7K?
*smash*smash*smash*

No thanks. I would not buy them back when they were 3K and I will not buy them now.

#60 5 years ago

I like playing both of them. I love the humour of SS but i like the way ToM plays. For me i would struggle to pick one over the other.
I think ToM just wins out for me.

#61 5 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

No thanks. I would not buy them back when they were 3K and I will not buy them now.

sounds like a really bad decision to not buy them at 3k.....

#62 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

sounds like a really bad decision to not buy them at 3k.....

Not really, when these games were released $3K was a lot more than it is today. Using gold as a standard of measure ... the purchasing power of $3K in 1995 was the equivalent of $9900 today. Why does this matter? Let me tell you a little story that involves myself as a much younger pinball enthusiast and a certain Pinball Machine....

It was 1990, and a new Williams Pinball machine arrived at my local hangout where I had my lunch everyday...it was a Funhouse with this amazing talking head named Rudy! Wow, what an amazing game and it was so addictive to play, by far the best pinball machine I had ever seen and I wanted one bad! I had $2,000 saved up and was ready to buy my first pinball machine! I found the phone number for my local Williams distributor (pre-internet) and gave them a call; I was told that a new Funhouse would be $2800 + tax delivered coming to a total of $2940. Wow nearly 1/3 more than I had, no matter how I tried...there was absolutely no way I could budget the extra $940 for this ... I had to shrug it off as it was just not meant to be and 28 years later, this machine is still #1 on my wish list. The thing you have to keep in mind here is that in 1990 that $2940 Funhouse is the same as paying $10,457 today...and as a young 20 something, that extra $940 I couldn't budget for, and is the equivalent of finding an extra $3343 that you don't have today.

Gold today = $1252/oz
Gold June 1995 = $387/oz
Gold June 1990 = $352/oz

#63 5 years ago

I own SS. Would have bought TotAN and ToM years ago for $3k each but didn't have the money, bought SS instead. 15 years later I'm glad I did. SS is funny, and because the shots are fairly easy to hit, your lesser skilled friends will love Crate multiball. For more of a challenge, Spider Wheel is very tough to complete. And ToM has problems with trunk damage and that damned tiger saw. I've played ToM many times and don't get why it is so highly rated and commands such high prices, the game is pretty to look at but is shallow. It's still good, but top 3 (IPDB)? No way. #16 here on Pinside is more believable. SS is just below it at #18.

SS all the way for me.

1 week later
#64 5 years ago
Quoted from whthrs166:

That's not what he asked... And this isn't "What Should I Do With My Money". If you don't have anything intelligent to ad about TOM or SS then go back to your Stern thread.

I got a few ideas of what you can do!!!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Led
PinballToys

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

£ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballToys

8,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Weeki Wachee, FL
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Hermosa Beach, CA
$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Machine - For Sale
Sandy Springs, GA
$ 38.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

£ 38.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 29.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

There are 64 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/theater-of-magic-or-scared-stiff-thoughts/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.