7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by nasco62
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“TOURNAMENT TOPPER - thumbs up or down?”

• YES - I think mine rocks! 2 votes
      6%
    • NO - they look like a hazard sign 18 votes
      53%
    • Haven't given them much thought 12 votes
      35%
    • Will buy one when I can 2 votes
      6%

(34 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

JD_Topper.jpg
    RS_Topper.jpg

#1 7 years ago

I've seen these toppers on more than a few pins and I'd like to ask a question -

Other than their use in legitimate pinball tournments why do people like them sitting on top
    of their pins?

Are they running that many in-house tournaments that they have to designate pins being
    used for the tournament with the topper on them?

It just doesn't do anything for me, it looks like a "hazard wet floor sign" that you see
    in a grocery store when there's a spill on the floor.

To me it's just a butt ugly sign. What am I missing here?

#2 7 years ago

It reminds me of those people that have Dolby logos adorning the walls of their home cinema areas or Budweiser neons in their gamerooms/bars. I suppose they're trying to recreate the experience of a public cinema, bar or pinball tournament. It kind of defeats the point of having these things at home for me. Surely at home you can do without all the advertising, logos and public notices and replace them with nice ornamental pieces that reflect your personality?

#3 7 years ago
    Quoted from chocky909:

It kind of defeats the point of having these things at home for me.

+1 It looks silly, but totally fine at a public place.

#4 7 years ago

i installed one on my LOTR, took it off after one hour.

look weird in my basement.

#5 7 years ago

I think it looks like crap on my SM, but I haven't come up with a suitable replacement. The topper that is widely available does nothing for me. Some webs and the name Spider-Man right above where it says the same thing on the backglass? No thanks.

#6 7 years ago

Alrighty!, I added a poll. Vote how you feel about them.

Of course whatever people want to put on top of their pin is their business, just wondering
    how others felt about them. Not trying to be the topper nazi here.

#7 7 years ago
    Quoted from chocky909:

It reminds me of those people that have Dolby logos adorning the walls of their home cinema areas or Budweiser neons in their gamerooms/bars.

Toppers in and of themselves remind me of this (I'm old-school). Very few if any are integral to the game at all, so its simply bling or addition to the attract mode.

But, yeah....SM lost its tournament topper (in favor of aluminum bling )

#8 7 years ago
    Quoted from chocky909:

I suppose they're trying to recreate the experience of a public cinema, bar or pinball tournament. It kind of defeats the point of having these things at home for me.

Being a fan of neon, I'm not sure what you mean by saying "it defeats the point". What point would that be? As far as tournament signs go, I'm completely indifferent to them. I generally like toppers when the game was supposed to have them originally, but I've seen some custom made toppers that look fantastic.

#9 7 years ago

I am currently coming up with a cooler SM Topper.

#10 7 years ago

Look awful.

#11 7 years ago

Most of the time they're totally misused. An Op should keep it off the game unless they're currently running a TOPS tournament.

#12 7 years ago
    Quoted from jonnyo:

An Op should keep it off the game unless they're currently running a TOPS tournament.

Exactly.

#13 7 years ago
    Quoted from jonnyo:

An Op should keep it off the game unless they're currently running a TOPS tournament.

normally just folded down and the tourney button disabled

#14 7 years ago

I pulled the tournament topper from my family guy. If I were to put one on it would probably be a tops setup, but cannot see myself forking out the money.

#15 7 years ago

I might put one on my WPT, just because "Tournament" and "Poker" actually go together. I also plugged my tournament button into the spot where the coinslot is, so I can have it handy but not have to unhook wires when removing the lockdown bar. Sometimes a quick TOPS tourney is fun when a bunch of people come over.

#16 7 years ago
    Quoted from Honch:

chocky909 said:I suppose they're trying to recreate the experience of a public cinema, bar or pinball tournament. It kind of defeats the point of having these things at home for me.
    Being a fan of neon, I'm not sure what you mean by saying "it defeats the point". What point would that be? As far as tournament signs go, I'm completely indifferent to them. I generally like toppers when the game was supposed to have them originally, but I've seen some custom made toppers that look fantastic.

Hey neon's cool and I have no qualms with recreating the cool side of public entertainment but some people tend to just plaster lots of unnattractive Coors and Budweiser posters everywhere which recreates the unpleasant side of being in public which is wall to wall advertising. Put up nice posters of things you like and if you like neon lighting then get something unique rather than a beer logo.

But hey, that's just my preference. People will decorate their man caves how they like, not how I like.

#17 7 years ago

I'm taking the one off my IM and making my own topper for it..

#18 7 years ago

My Elvis didn't come with one.

When my WPT came with one, I folded it down, but left it attached.

#19 7 years ago

I've love toppers and made a few custom toppers for my games and even hooked them up to interact with the games by piggy backing off flashers or the GI.

Roadshow, I found a Bob the builder dozer at a second hand shop for less than $5 bucks and mounted two white LEDs on top of it with red bulb condoms. Painted a scrap piece of wood black, bought a reflector from Princess Auto and put a flasher inside it.

Judge Dredd, mine didn't come with an eagle topper nor would it clear my low ceiling anyways. So I had a friend re-draw one for me to fit and I broke the image down into 3 layers so the claws can fill in the gaps on the head and also give the illusion of depth. I printed it out and mounted on foam board and used some "L" brackets to make it stand up. I also wired up two flashers behind the tip of each wing and depending which pursuit ramp is flashing it will go off with it.

RS_Topper.jpg JD_Topper.jpg

#20 7 years ago

Love the roadshow topper

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 69.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 84.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 11.95
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 179.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 29.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    Apparel - Men
    Pinside Shop
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 199.99
    $ 40.00
    $ 25.50
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 19.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 10.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Gweem's Mods
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 229.99
    $ 10.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 12.99
    $ 16.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 62.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside