(Topic ID: 328823)

The year of the decline. And BTW, pinball is not an investment.

By Letsgofishing40

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 155 posts
  • 83 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by cottonm4
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_E6894a (resized).jpg
    AP_Woman-walking-in-Beijing-1068x712-1-1024x683 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).jpeg
    F11D0249-6D28-4DE8-A6C4-9E0B758C64C9.gif
    92C81E9C-D037-44B2-A58F-BB80AB710619 (resized).jpeg
    DF15698E-8501-4278-B536-9A97B9F0AFCB (resized).jpeg
    9952C90E-15FD-44F6-A882-E026578DB9FF (resized).jpeg
    Screen Shot 2023-01-07 at 10.37.51 AM (resized).jpg
    Screen Shot 2023-01-07 at 10.34.03 AM (resized).jpg
    dc.gif
    6DB0FD20-B575-43BA-82BE-48A6CBAEC64E.jpeg
    62BB2503-67D3-4851-A4AD-46EA7F29EBA7.gif
    Capturebfr (resized).PNG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cottonm4.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#54 1 year ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

You, and along with any others complaining about $15k-$20k price tags, are not the intended audience for these products. That is all.

When I got into this hobby in 2012 I was not prepared for the big money that is in this hobby. In my youth, it seemed like it was mostly the high school drop outs congregating around the pinball machines. And I come here to find out that the doctors and lawyers are in this hobby big time.

I can't find which youtube video that Gary Stern was speaking in but he made the comment that Stern was a Republican company, meaning that most of Stern's customers are Republicans (I wish I could find that video again).

Quoted from ForceFlow:

But for every person who steps back saying they are being priced out of the market, it seems 3 more people move in to take their place.

I think it could be said that the hobby has gone upscale. And Stern. with its Wall Street partner, is pushing it for all it is worth. How is that, you ask?

My Munsters LE ( sold) was a limited edition of 1 of 600. People were a little upset that it was not 1 of 500.

Here we are with Bond LE with a watered down number of 1 of 1000. If Stern keeps it up, an LE will look like Mattel with its many limited editions of Barbie(s). 1 of how many did you say?

Screen Shot 2023-01-07 at 10.34.03 AM (resized).jpgScreen Shot 2023-01-07 at 10.34.03 AM (resized).jpg

So, now, if you want to be in the LE club, you are going to have to pony up.

Screen Shot 2023-01-07 at 10.37.51 AM (resized).jpgScreen Shot 2023-01-07 at 10.37.51 AM (resized).jpg

This is Bond. I can't even imagine what is would be like if Stern ever gets around to producing a Jaws themed pin.

#67 1 year ago
    Quoted from arcyallen:

Yeah, if you find that video please let me know. Declaring that your pin company has a political affiliation is ill-advised at best, and foolish at worst.

i'll try looking again. It was just Gary speaking to a small crowd of pinheads in a meeting room. There are some here who like to talk about how Stern does not know its markets. This side meeting at a pin function was Gary waxing on the state of pin biz. He was talking about how Stern needs the arcade markets, the barcade markets, and the home markets to keep the business going. And somewhere in this talk he commented on Stern being a Republican company--in the vein that is where the home sales are at. He was generalizing and not making any kind of political statement, to be sure, but he was just pointing out where Stern's markets are at.

I equate Stern to General Motors. It used to be that a Chevrolet Suburban was a working man's vehicle. A family hauler for average Joe. And then GM figured out all the rich people were buying Suburbans; The doo-dads got glued on and the prices went up.

#68 1 year ago
    Quoted from floyd1977:

I think the skyrocketing prices are part of why I've lost interest in the hobby in the last few years. In fact, this is the first time I've read Pinside in quite a while.

There are a couple of ways to look at escalating prices. One way, as you have indicated, is to walk away.

I am busy restoring my early solid states. And this includes new repro play fields at now $1000.00 a pop. And the back glasses. The Pinball Pimp stencils. It is hard to justify the time and prices and would be even more difficult to spend the money without the possibility of at least getting most of your cash money back. If you get paid enough to cover your time that is just a bonus.

#73 1 year ago
    Quoted from underlord:

Spike systems were/are junk and worse with zero spare parts available.

Why do you say that, please?

I had a Munsters and I have a Ghostbusters. The Munsters played 100%. The GB plays 100%. What am I missing?

What zero spare parts are you referring to?

#77 1 year ago
    Quoted from schudel5:

I think it's more of a general blanket statement. A lot of issues with coil stops, flipper buttons, switches, lamp sockets, EOS switches, clearcoat, scoop design flaws, etc. But when it comes to game specific parts, expression lights, node boards and just response from Stern on customer service and technical support and warranty parts shipments.

Thanks. I see. The "you are on your own" warranty.

#82 1 year ago
    Quoted from underlord:

I’ll just buy new node boards? Not available. Being used for current builds. None left for replacements.

Are node boards game specific? And in danger of being unobtainable forever for certain pins?

Will Stern orphan a 10 year old Spike machine with regards to electronics parts?

#109 1 year ago
    Quoted from Bublehead:

My final offer would be $11,500 for a $term Premium shipped. That’s the limit on my willingness to be a 2023 $tern customer

Quoted from underlord:

Who’s really at fault? The goobers who drop heavy financing sight unseen.

For a long while we regale ourselves with stories about how the pin Stern just brought to market is selling for more than Stern MRSP. I imagine Stern figures this is money that Stern is leaving on the table and it will keep adjusting prices up accordingly until it sees that the first buyers take a hit when they sell.

Quoted from underlord:

flippers do all the time though

I suppose flippers could be equated to concert ticket scalpers. As long as the scalpers are making money, the band, or Ticketmaster, is selling its tickets too cheap.

#125 1 year ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

Not until we bring manufacturing back home on our soil and our next generations wake up and realize the trades are where it's at.

The off-shoring of jobs was getting started in 80s. One of my college professors said that we cannot make a living selling hamburgers to each other. And here we are 40 years later selling hamburgers to each other. We have lost a lot of our manufacturing base and not everybody is suited mentally for a high tech job.

You have brought some good points. Probably too many to talk about here.

Here is my thought to where a lot of the problems lie:

"Federal Reserve data indicates that as of Q4 2021, the top 1% of households in the United States held 32.3% of the country's wealth, while the bottom 50% held 2.6%. In recent decades, wealth inequality has substantially increased in the United States."

https://www.census.gov/library/stories/2022/08/wealth-inequality-by-household-type.html

#135 1 year ago
    Quoted from CubeSnake:

Sadly, we've done this to ourselves over say, the last 40-50 years or so. Stifling EPA laws, restrictive testing procedures, crippling worker benefits, insane tax rates on the physical manufacturing plants, prohibitive insurance costs, legal liability that can shut you down in a heartbeat. I can go on, but this is America 2023.

Well, we could get rid of the EPA. And we could also dump the Clean Water act. Let's do that and roll back the clock and live with burning rivers, again.

In 1969, before EPA, it was this : " Oil spills and oil fires are nothing new. On June 22, 1969, an oil slick caught fire on the Cuyahoga River just southeast of downtown Cleveland, Ohio. The image that the "the river caught fire" motivated change to protect the environment. However, this was in fact the thirteenth recorded time that the river had caught fire since 1868.

The 1969 Cuyahoga River fire catalyzed water pollution control activities, resulting in the creation of the federal Environmental Protection Agency (1970) and the Ohio Environmental Protection Agency (OEPA), and passage of the Clean Water Act (1972) and the Great Lakes Water Quality Agreement (1972). As a result, large-point sources of pollution on the Cuyahoga have received significant attention from the OEPA. This river fire also influenced the arts: it is referred to in Randy Newman's 1972 song "Burn On," R.E.M.'s 1986 song "Cuyahoga," the Simpsons episode "Lemon of Troy," and Adam Again's 1992 song "River on Fire."

We learned from the Cuyahoga River Fire and are relearning again from the oil eruption in the Gulf of Mexico that we must invest in pollution prevention to protect human and ecological health. We also still struggle with controlling vast non-point sources of water pollution such as pesticide run-off and agricultural waste. Focusing on short-term gain creates profits for corporations while externalizing the true costs of pollution to the public and environment."

https://www.healthandenvironment.org/environmental-health/social-context/history/the-cuyahoga-river-fire-of-1969
    ==============================================================================
    Or how about Hooker Chemical Company and Love Canal?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Love_Canal

" Love Canal is a neighborhood in Niagara Falls, New York, United States, infamous as the location of a 0.28 km2 (0.11 sq mi) landfill that became the site of an enormous environmental disaster in the 1970s. Decades of dumping toxic chemicals harmed the health of hundreds of residents;[1] the area was cleaned up over the course of 21 years in a Superfund operation."

There is more at the link.
    =================================================

Let's keep going. In 1973-74 I flew into Orange California. The smog was so thick you could cut it with a knife. I'm not lying. When I fly I like looking out the window and as the plane lost altitude on its approach we flew into the smog and in an instant I could see nothing except dirt brown smog. On the ground the air was a hazy brown.

If you wish to return to that then all you need to do is remove all the smog control crap that is under the hood of your car.

===============================================

What do you mean by prohibitive insurance costs? The company I worked for was big on safety. Real big. One of the drivers for the company's concern was injured employees drive insurance rates. If the insurance companies would have been more laid back about it, then the corporation would not have been as interested in employee safety.

Insurance has always been high priced. What are your solutions to fix high insurance rates?
    ===============================================

Here is a beauty of a question: "How much clean air do we need?"

" That was the question Lee Iacocca asked Congress when he was vice president of Ford in the late 1960s. He objected to the federal Clean Air Act, which passed in 1970, because he thought it would cripple manufacturing."

" Before those local air pollution control boards were formed, our skies were filled with dense smoke and particles coming out of smokestacks from industry. Air pollution was so bad (how bad was it?) it created visibility hazards on the roads and foul smells in cities of all sizes."

https://ecology.wa.gov/Blog/Posts/February-2018/How-much-clean-air-do-we-need
    =================================================================================

What crippling worker benefits are you referring to? Around here some companies pay nice benefits. Many companies pay none: no vacation, no sick time off. Several years ago around here am employe lost his wife and 4 children in a car crash. The paper made it a point to mention that his job offered no benefits and he had to go to work the next day with no time off for mourning the loss of his family.
    =============================================================

Define insane tax rates on physical manufacturing plants, please.

=================================================

So how has American business handled these issues? They moved to China where there were no pollution controls and dirt cheap labor. Especially the electronics manufacturers.

Here you go. How would you like to breathing this crap all day long? Remember what I was saying about Orange California above? Yeah. This is what I saw as was walking around in on that sunny California day. Not quite as bad as this---but you get the idea.

AP_Woman-walking-in-Beijing-1068x712-1-1024x683 (resized).jpgAP_Woman-walking-in-Beijing-1068x712-1-1024x683 (resized).jpg

“Too much of the Chinese Communist Party’s economy is built on willful disregard for air, land, and water quality,” Secretary of State Michael R. Pompeo said in August. “The Chinese people — and the world — deserve better.”

https://ge.usembassy.gov/chinas-air-pollution-harms-its-citizens-and-the-world/
    =================================================================

Here is a little more about the river that caught on fire. Would you like to return to this?

#149 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

The #1 way to tell which network people watch is how they respond to this factual post:
    I’m in California today.

Enjoying the southern California sunshine, Levi? Everybody knows it never rains in southern California.

#150 1 year ago
    Quoted from DarlingLuci:

As someone who transitioned from the classic car hobby to pinball i don't understand how anyone could see pinball (or cars) as investments.

Reggie Jackson did OK with his muscle car collection he accumulated 30-35 years ago. Before prices went into the stratosphere.

Depends on the car. Depends on the pin. And depends if you can avoid getting yourself buried in the restoration.

2 months later
    #152 1 year ago
    Quoted from pjflyer:

I haven't lost anything.....I haven't sold anything I bought!

That would be called an unrealized gain. Or unrealized loss.

#155 1 year ago
    Quoted from freddy:

If I recall correctly Reggie also had a fire in the Building affecting some of his collection.
    I believe it was due to stain rags being left around by contractor. Spontaneous combustion.‍♂️

You recall correctly. And what he had left over was still a nice investment for him.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cottonm4.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-year-of-the-decline-and-btw-pinball-is-not-an-investment?tu=cottonm4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.