(Topic ID: 328823)

The year of the decline. And BTW, pinball is not an investment.

By Letsgofishing40

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 155 posts
  • 83 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by cottonm4
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_E6894a (resized).jpg
    AP_Woman-walking-in-Beijing-1068x712-1-1024x683 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).jpeg
    F11D0249-6D28-4DE8-A6C4-9E0B758C64C9.gif
    92C81E9C-D037-44B2-A58F-BB80AB710619 (resized).jpeg
    DF15698E-8501-4278-B536-9A97B9F0AFCB (resized).jpeg
    9952C90E-15FD-44F6-A882-E026578DB9FF (resized).jpeg
    Screen Shot 2023-01-07 at 10.37.51 AM (resized).jpg
    Screen Shot 2023-01-07 at 10.34.03 AM (resized).jpg
    dc.gif
    6DB0FD20-B575-43BA-82BE-48A6CBAEC64E.jpeg
    62BB2503-67D3-4851-A4AD-46EA7F29EBA7.gif
    Capturebfr (resized).PNG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider arcyallen.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#52 1 year ago

It sounds like you're a prime candidate to visit this little thread if you're looking for actual conversation.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-pinball-price-discussion-thread/page/14

#55 1 year ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

I can't find which youtube video that Gary Stern was speaking in but he made the comment that Stern was a Republican company, meaning that most of Stern's customers are Republicans (I wish I could find that video again).

Yeah, if you find that video please let me know. Declaring that your pin company has a political affiliation is ill-advised at best, and foolish at worst.

#130 1 year ago
    Quoted from whthrs166:

Well, here is my 2 cents worth, I have never lost a dime on any pinball machine that I have ever bought including two NIB games that I have sold. If that isn't the definition of a good investment I will eat my shorts...

They were a profitable investment, but not necessarily a "good" one.

If Frank sells a used coffee mug to Bob for $5, and then he sells it to Jen for $50, and then she sells it to Frank for $500, it's been a profitable investment for everyone so far. But it's also a horrible (albeit lucky) investment.

The mentality of "it's always made money" is a defining characteristic of bubbles and pyramid schemes. May it be tech and Bernie Madoff in the late 90s, housing in the late 2000s, or bitcoin in 2022. Some things "always make money" (like Johnson and Johnson stock) and aren't bubbles, but every asset that's in a bubble "always makes money"...until it doesn't. The only time you can be sure there's a bubble is when you see it pop...but there are plenty of warning signs along the way.

#131 1 year ago

I'll add that it can be intoxicating to buy things and "know" you'll make money on them - especially if they're recreational items. If I thought I might lose 20% on a pin when I go to sell it next year, I'd be slowing my buying. I get concerned when we start hitting the "Weeee! What could go wrong!" stage. With pins, houses, or whatever.

#139 1 year ago

It's too bad when you can tell which two news networks people are watching based on their posts on a pinball enthusiast site.

#147 1 year ago
    Quoted from whthrs166:

An investment is some thing you put money into with the purpose of getting your money back out of. If you make money, it is a good investment.

If you think giving Bernie Madoff money for his pyramid scheme was "a good investment" just because it happened to make you money...well, that's where you and I would disagree.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider arcyallen.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-year-of-the-decline-and-btw-pinball-is-not-an-investment?tu=arcyallen and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.