Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 123 posts
  • 72 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by lordloss
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

naughty.gif
    cheetos.jpg
    P1010614.jpg
    There are 123 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
    #101 8 years ago

Mine isn't too bad compared to the others I've seen on here.

Rollergames for $580. At the time this was a lot for me to spend and I really wanted Rollergames. At least I talked down the $700 asking price. The playfield was worn down to the wood in several locations, 2 digits on the display were out, half the GI didn't work, broken plastics, and the Wall had some steel welded to it from it being broken. I drove north of Milwaukee from the western Chicago suburbs to get it as well. I decided to hand paint the playfield with paint markers, print out graphics that looked bad, and clear coat over top.

A few weeks later another Rollergames appeared for sale in Rockford that looked real nice. I asked the seller if it said Diamond Plate between the flippers, which it did. I ran out there and paid $700 for that one. After spending a ton of time repairing the playfield on the first one, I took the best parts from each to make the DP the best I could to keep while I put the older one up for sale. Luckily I got $600 for it, losing little in the way of money just a lot of time painting.

I guess this might not count as the worst amount paid just the one that required the most work. Had I waited a few weeks longer id have ended up with the better one I still have now and wouldn't have had to go through with the work involved in the other or the drive.

#102 8 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

that still hurts!
    Way too much for that title!

No it's not. It's a REALLY nice one, and I wouldn't let it go for less than 6k at this point. (It's got everything in it...more like an LE at this point.)

#103 8 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

No it's not. It's a REALLY nice one, and I wouldn't let it go for less than 6k at this point. (It's got everything in it...more like an LE at this point.)

different strokes for different folks. I have found quite a few HUO or very nice examples for 4500 (or even recently/post pinflation for 4750). I used to think I wanted that game but was lucky enough to have a friend loan me his for a bit and I realized it is not a very fun game for me. When you start getting higher than that I will pick many other titles (or 2 or 3 other games) over that boring 1 player game.

#104 8 years ago

Also, consider that from what I've seen, prices seem to trend higher in the NYC metro area than in the Midwest...like everything else here.

#105 8 years ago

Everything I've sold so far I've managed to sell for right around where I bought it for. A lot of my "keeper" collection, I probably overpaid for by a bit - but I don't care too much about that.

#106 8 years ago

I really think what people don't take into consideration is the enjoyment you get out of it. If I overpay on a machine--pay $5000, say--and I play it for a couple years, enjoying the hell out of it, then sell it for $4000...who cares? The enjoyment I got out of it was worth the thousand bucks it cost me. I overpaid on my ACDC as well, but while I'm enjoying the hell out of it now, there are a ton of people looking for one for a good price who aren't playing it yet. That's gotta be worth something, right? And imagine how much money I'm saving by not having to put in quarters.

I'm going on vacation next week. I'm going to have a great time. And I'm not going to expect to get my money back when it's over.

#107 8 years ago

agreed boob!

I play for $1 on location and figure the same thing in my head for games at home. Play 1000 games and so what if you sell for less than you paid.

#108 8 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I once traded a nice project Judge Dredd for a really shitty "shopped out" DE Playboy (pretty horrible shop out and the game never worked right) and a box of Cool Ranch Doritos (the guy worked for Frito-Lay). I still to this day don't know what possessed me to do this, I guess I just didn't want to shop out the Judge Dredd. Ended up selling the Playboy as a project for around $700 after many attempts to get it working correctly and putting a decent amount of money into it via boards and other things.

Somehow I think you are joking.
    I just paid 7500 for a Totan. The most I have ever paid for a used game other than a cc

#109 8 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

agreed boob!
    I play for $1 on location and figure the same thing in my head for games at home. Play 1000 games and so what if you sell for less than you paid.

And you're paying for the convenience of not having to go out to play...and your machine is home is ALWAYS better than ones on location (if it's not, you're doing something wrong!).

#110 8 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

is ALWAYS better than ones on location

I maintain the local location, so they are pretty similar condition

#111 8 years ago

I've never sold anything so I have yet to actually have a "loss", but did overpay for a Williams Super Star at $400. Guy was sketchy, situation was sketchy, it only kinda worked, but since I made the drive I took it. Haven't had it working great yet, sunk a couple hundred more into repairs to have an ugly EM that plays with some issues, that I don't really enjoy playing.

Wife likes it though so that's something, but complains any time an issue pops up.

Annoying machine.

Backglass and Playfield are nice though, holding out hope that I'll get some money back for it one day, probably wishful thinking.

#112 8 years ago
    Quoted from Rando:

Backglass and Playfield are nice though, holding out hope that I'll get some money back for it one day, probably wishful thinking.

You will if you charge people $5 a whack with a sledgehammer. You only need 80 whacks. That'd be awesome...I'd drive down to Lebanon for that!

#113 8 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

Somehow I think you are joking.

No, the doritos for Playboy trade absolutely happened. Not joking.

#114 8 years ago
    Quoted from canea:

I've paid too much for all of mine, and always lost money when I sell them. It's a mystery to me how people make money on them.

They buy from you and sell at a profit

jk. I am just getting into the world of buying pins (just bought a Cue Ball Wizard (1k plus shipping) and a Fish Tales (3k shipped with a color DMD). I think when all is said and done, it's not going to be bad. Both are in pretty good shape.

#115 8 years ago

You want to feel really bad about your purchases go into the thread what's the best price you bought a pinball

#116 8 years ago
    Quoted from daddyxxx:

You want to feel really bad about your purchases go into the thread what's the best price you bought a pinball

I almost hope some of those people are lying. People getting MB for 1200 or so... Man, I'd hope to be that lucky some day...

#117 8 years ago

Where is that guy who bought pinwows $2900 shell of a TZ, he should post here

#118 8 years ago
    Quoted from lordloss:

I'm thinking about selling a TZ cabinet for $2000 now...

#119 8 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

No, the doritos for Playboy trade absolutely happened. Not joking.

I at least would have held out for the purple kind.

#120 8 years ago
    Quoted from lordloss:

I was telling my son about that, his jaw just about hit the floor when I told him how fast it sold.

1 week later
    #122 8 years ago
    Quoted from lordloss:

Wait.. what happened here? I tried to look this one up on the forums but didn't find anything.. I bet this is a good one.

1 week later
    #123 8 years ago
    Quoted from fisherdaman:

Wait.. what happened here? I tried to look this one up on the forums but didn't find anything.. I bet this is a good one.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-twilight-zone-project-2900#post-2614332

There are 123 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-worst-price-you-paid-for-a-pinball-machine/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.