Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 123 posts
  • 72 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by lordloss
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

naughty.gif
    cheetos.jpg
    P1010614.jpg
    There are 123 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #51 8 years ago
    Quoted from Nexyss:

I bought a No Fear last year for $2000, and put another $1000 into it to fix it up (LEDs, new jump ramp, LED OCD, GI OCD, and all the usual parts). So now I have a $3000 faded No Fear.

Buy pinball for $2000, put $500 of parts and a dozen hours into pinball, now you have a $2000 pinball machine that will sell faster than when you bought it.

#52 8 years ago

I don't look at it as over paying for a game. I look at it as tuition for learning something new. Unfortunately tuition bills don't seem to be going down with more education.

#53 8 years ago

Lots of lessons to be learned here

#54 8 years ago
    Quoted from jlm33:

Talk about overpaying...
    Predator: $4750.
    No pin.

Worst part is... THATS not even the worst deal out there....

(cue the Magic Girl 'investors')

#55 8 years ago
    Quoted from lowepg:

Wasn't there somebody who had ordered 2 Magic Girls and either a RAZA or AIW and was in for over $30,000 to JPop? I remember reading about that a few months ago, but it would take some research to locate the exact post.

#56 8 years ago
    Quoted from lowepg:

Some people have paid money for machines like IJ4 and then instead of just being out the money, they actually have to have it take up room in their house.

#57 8 years ago

I overpaid for several machines, but others went up in value, I'll call it break even with many learning experiences

#58 8 years ago
    Quoted from lowepg:

for a guy not involved you sure do like to try and rub the salt into the wounds as much as possible.

#59 8 years ago
    Quoted from BrianZ:

I'm probably in that boat on several machines.
    Cyclone is probably my worse. I paid $1200 (after coming down from $1600). The family had medical bills, and was laid off from NASA (so i know it helped). At first, I thought i was doing ok. But as i dug into, I realzied just how much damage the game had (bad repairs, hacks, broken ramps, etc..). Plus, at the time the rampswere un-obtainum.
    I'm a picky SOB, so I went overboard on bringing her back to her former glory (Boards repaired by Clive, New LED display, New CPR Playfiled, New CPR Plastics, New Glass, New GI boards relays, all new switches, LED's throughout, various new parts on the playfiled, new Ramp, Cab repair, ++++). I'm certain that i am at least $2500 deep into the game.... Not including my labor.
    I probably have the most expensive Cylone in Texas....Oh well... It plays like a dream...

And mine is the most expensive Cyclone in GA. Went on e-bay to buy a machine for my gameroom before meeting anyone else in this hobby - not even knowing there was a pinball collector community, and bought the first cyclone I found since it was the game I remembered having the most fun playing years ago. Paid $1600 by "winning" the e-bay auction, paid $400 to ship it and when it arrived it had very little paint left on the cabinet. I proceeded to have it shopped out with LEDs by someone locally for $450, putting it at about $2500, at least it played 100% and the playfield wasn't too worn. Learned a lot since then thanks lots of many friends in the hobby, and will keep this as long as I own pins. In fact, having it finally re-stenciled a year and a half later, probably silly to spend the money but does it really matter at this point? lol At least it's a game I will always enjoy having in the gameroom. Funniest thing, and seems to be common occurrence among many in this hobby, the gameroom I bought the one pin for has become nothing but pins!

#60 8 years ago
    Quoted from ek77:

F 14 Tomcat $500 many years ago

I don't know why you got two thumbs down for that because I'm in the EXACT same boat. Worst deal I made (and it was my very first) was a $500 F-14 Tomcat back in 2001. It was a POS. No lights on top (or motor) inserts all lifting, wiring all brittle, one problem after another and never ending. I must have pumped $1500 into before it was all said and done and then I sold it (not fully working) in 2012 for.......$500.

#61 8 years ago

I paid $1000 deposit on a stupid $8000 remake that was never made. Luckily I got that money back.

#62 8 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I paid $1000 deposit on a stupid $8000 remake that was never made. Luckily I got that money back.

So, Capcom Kingpin then?

#63 8 years ago
    Quoted from littlecammi:

So, Capcom Kingpin then?

No. I'm talking about a coin operated machine that was to be delivered middle of 2014 with shiny gold trim, a fully colorized display, and parts made to Williams specs.

#64 8 years ago

I am pretty sure I over payed for last my four games. I lack patience and the pinball market is not particularly abundant out here.

#65 8 years ago

I paid $1,000 on ebay for a Taxi - playfield was blow out… the cost of parts ---- wow I can't remember…. I just remember having a $2,000 taxi that I was lucky to sell for $1,000 to some person who's going to also say he overpaid.

#66 8 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Crap. That's what I get for rolling out of bed and posting. Dumbass...

Yes? Did I get summoned?

#67 8 years ago

Bought a BK2K for $1900, had the playfields clearcoated, rebuilt all solendoid assemblies with new parts and bought a new Alan Meyer repro backglass too. The playfield and backglass were gorgeous, but the cabinet was the weak spot with a lot of planking. About $3500 in and I was lucky at the time to get $1600 for it. This was about 2004 I think...

Rob

#68 8 years ago
    Quoted from Rob_G:

Bought a BK2K for $1900, had the playfields clearcoated, rebuilt all solendoid assemblies with new parts and bought a new Alan Meyer repro backglass too. The playfield and backglass were gorgeous, but the cabinet was the weak spot with a lot of planking. About $3500 in and I was lucky at the time to get $1600 for it. This was about 2004 I think...
    Rob

Sounds like the only bad decision there was not holding onto it for another decade. I wonder how much a nice CQ CC'd BK2K would get right now, a perfect set of playfields sells for just under what an average full game does.

#69 8 years ago
    Quoted from DumbAss:

Yes? Did I get summoned?

Ha! That's usually my joke when somebody talks about boobs. Touche, my friend...good to have a joke turned around on me!

#70 8 years ago

Choggard!!! Is what some are too embarrassed to say. Lucky I did not take it...

#71 8 years ago

$9100 CAD for TWD LE.

#72 8 years ago

Probably $3400 (australian) for my HUO RBION afew years back, not a bad price (good price now) but the fact I sold it for the same price and now I see beat up RBION's or lesser pins going for the same price makes me wish I held on to it as I doubt I'll find another one in that condition for close to that price.

#73 8 years ago

Why do people sell a game then buy it not long after. I just don't get it...

#74 8 years ago
    Quoted from MotorCityMatt:

Same reason they kick their old lady out the door and beg her to come back in a week.

#75 8 years ago

I guess I am too lazy.

#76 8 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

No. I'm talking about a coin operated machine that was to be delivered middle of 2014 with shiny gold trim, a fully colorized display, and parts made to Williams specs.

? I don't get this...

You weren't a wayne-o mm ordered were you?

#77 8 years ago

Space Shuttle for $400. I think it spent a week in the rain about 5 years before I got it.

#78 8 years ago
    Quoted from Atomicboy:

I don't get this...

Neither did anybody else...

#79 8 years ago

Waited about seven months for any Sorcerer to come up for sale within driving distance, and finally picked up the first one that became available close enough, in PA. Wouldn't you know it, the next month, four more Sorcerers pop up for sale here and on CL, all in slightly better condition than mine, all closer than PA, and all cheaper than mine.

#80 8 years ago

first pin paid 2k for a simpsons data east, then following week 2100 for a freddy. Learned from it, and now make much better decisions!

#81 8 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

I'll be sure to bring my stepdaughter.

How old's your stepdaughter? naughty.gifnaughty.gif

#82 8 years ago
    Quoted from Jesterfunhouse:

I paid $900 for a street fighter 2 which I thought was a great deal on a DMD pin but...After playing it for a week and looking at those painfully bad DMD animations and hearing the same call outs over and over and over again...I think I paid $900 too much...sold it as fast as I could...sorry SF2 fans it just was not for me...

Hence why you usually see $600 price tags on SF2. There is a reason I deem it one of the worst DMD games ever made.

I bought a nice Hook for $750 with gas into it. Couldn't give it away fully working and nice condition for $700.

Had a fully working laserball. Fair backglass nice playfield. Had $280 into it. Took a month to sell it for $225. Those are the only 2 games i've lost money on. Others I usually at least break even on. If you don't lose money on it, it still was worth experiencing the game enough for free.

#83 8 years ago
    Quoted from Gotpins:

Don't be so dramatic. My coworkers and I eat them all the time without any problem.

cheetos.jpg

JESUS CHRIST, That is genuinely fucking frightening. Never, NEVER do that to us again.

#84 8 years ago
    Quoted from MotorCityMatt:

Another reason could be someone throws stupid money your way for your game. There is no such thing as not for sale in the pinball world. I sold my mint perfect, dialed in tommy, only to buy another one 3 days later for half the price that's almost as nice. (still doesn't play as smooth as the one I sold tho

#85 8 years ago

I almost only have B and C titles which I've most likely paid A list prices for looking at the amount of money and time I pour into these games. I feel drawn to rescuing heavy routed machines that transforms into very good/moderate player's.

#86 8 years ago

6k us for a lotr (plus the cash it cost to get it here)

#87 8 years ago

4k for an Algar and Hot Doggin. I knew I was overpaying but didn't care as when I want something I buy it! I love both of those games.

#88 8 years ago

Yep, me too.

Often it's the first pin you buy.

I bought a fairly rough Bride of Pinbot from a local dealer in 2010. I don't want to admit how much, as I knew nothing then. I was away on vacation, and this ad popped up on eBay that triggered memories of the game I used to play all the time at the local bowling alley back in the day. This was it!

Let's just say probably another 50% on what it was worth.

It's still a favourite, and I've learned so much about how pins work and fixing them that I don't regret it at all. It also got me back into this hobby where I've met up with some fantastic people.

In fact, it's up for a full restore not too far down the track.

I'm now up to 8 pins and have had the confidence to get in and fix things that I may not have if I hadn't needed to work on the old Bride as much.

So, money spent to learn new skills I don't think is ever wasted.

Mike.

#89 8 years ago

$500 for a non-working Foxy Lady.

#90 8 years ago

Ebay checkpoint $850 wound up at 1400 in it. Cab was horrible, playfield missing parts , bad ramp. Wound up nice after playfield swap and all bad parts swapped...sold for 1250 after 2 years. Next would be demo man for $750 came from someone I knew it was a basket case all boards bad and display bad ....and swing arm board bad.

#91 8 years ago
    Quoted from schudel5:

Actually Costanza.
    Worst price? $5k for a MM in 2003. That was $500 more that they were going for at the time. Still the most I've ever spent on a game since. Live and learn...

5k for a Medieval Madness? They go for 8 grand now. You did pretty good on that one!

#92 8 years ago
    Quoted from Collin:

How old's your stepdaughter? naughty.gif

21. I'll take $3000 now for a permanent loan. $1k by Christmas.

#93 8 years ago
    Quoted from Cornelius:

$500 for a non-working Foxy Lady.

Why won't your wife get a job?

#94 8 years ago
    Quoted from jibmums:

Waited about seven months for any Sorcerer to come up for sale within driving distance, and finally picked up the first one that became available close enough, in PA. Wouldn't you know it, the next month, four more Sorcerers pop up for sale here and on CL, all in slightly better condition than mine, all closer than PA, and all cheaper than mine.

This seems to be pretty normal. It's like a bunch of people suddenly get the notion to sell the same machine at the same time. Some kind of pack mentality or migration habits or something...

#95 8 years ago
    Quoted from YoungPandas:

5k for a Medieval Madness? They go for 8 grand now. You did pretty good on that one!

This is a good point. A lot of games I thought were a crap deal turned out okay because of pinflation. A beautiful LOTR for 5500 a year and a half ago doesn't seem so bad now.

#96 8 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Neither did anybody else...

I get it!

You are saying you were gonna buy an MMR...but you got sick of waiting so you bailed!!!

Hilarious!

Quoted from beelzeboob:

Non-working Foxy Lady: Why won't your wife get a job?

#97 8 years ago
    Quoted from Astropin:

I don't know why you got two thumbs down for that because I'm in the EXACT same boat. Worst deal I made (and it was my very first) was a $500 F-14 Tomcat back in 2001. It was a POS. No lights on top (or motor) inserts all lifting, wiring all brittle, one problem after another and never ending. I must have pumped $1500 into before it was all said and done and then I sold it (not fully working) in 2012 for.......$500.

With no context it sounded like bragging.

#98 8 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

A beautiful LOTR for 5500

that still hurts!

Way too much for that title!

#99 8 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

that still hurts!

Quoted from Whysnow:

that still hurts!

You never really say that when your friends are selling..

I can probably dig up two $5400+ WI LOTR games that youve talked up, but never talked down the price

#100 8 years ago
    Quoted from lordloss:

You never really say that when your friends are selling..
    I can probably dig up two $5400+ WI LOTR games that youve talked up, but never talked down the price

dig them up. I'd like to see if that is what I said and if it was before or after I knew you were interested

Is that what you paid? You got one of the nicest examples I have ever seen, but if you paid 5400 that is still a grand more then I would ever spend on that title.

There are 123 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-worst-price-you-paid-for-a-pinball-machine/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.