4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 123 posts
  • 72 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by lordloss
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

naughty.gif
    cheetos.jpg
    P1010614.jpg

There are 123 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 4 years ago

First, I pay full retail for NIB as I have access to exactly one distributor.
    I paid $13.5k (AUD mind you) for my TronLE.
    I paid $3200 for a beat up Tommy that I put in a new Xpin PS, a whole bunch of plastics, cliffies, time changing rails and legs, a new lock down bar, then sold for $2900.
    I am a pinball deal loser.
    I still love it.

#2 4 years ago

I thought I did pretty well on my lord of the rings!!!

#3 4 years ago

I paid a 1000 bucks for a Big Guns and sold it for 600! And I drove 5 hours to get it. What a horrible experience. One of my first pins. Just terrible. But it sure felt good when I first picked it up!

#4 4 years ago

Paid $3300 for my first pin (Getaway) at an auction. In hindsight it was the the most beat up, crappiest version of Getaway you were ever likely to see. So what to I do ? Spend "Medieval" money to make it the best Getaway I have ever seen.....and I still love the hobby too !

P1010614.jpg

#5 4 years ago
    Quoted from whisper:

I thought I did pretty well on my Lord of the Rings!!!

That's some funny shiz right there.
    You did, sir. For I am Costanza, lord of the idiots. Haha.

#6 4 years ago

That Getaway is gorgeous!!! I miss mine. Just! a great game

#7 4 years ago

Naahhh , seriously I got screwed on my first pin wwf royal rumble, payed way to much for a beater that was full of broken plastics an needing playfield touch ups, but hunted down all the parts needed an schooled myself a little on fixes and it all good, but like anyone else I put way too much money into it and if I ever sell it will never get it back, all good that's pinball.. The way prices have gone up here at the moment who knows I might get back what I originally paid for it...

#8 4 years ago
    Quoted from TimeBandit:

That's some funny shiz right there.
    You did, sir. For I am Kastanza, lord of the idiots. Haha.

Not at all TB you just helped a brother out, Prices have gone up a bit since then, an you got good karma coming your way...
    If it makes you feel a little better I sold a really nice roadshow for 2.5k talk about Kastanza!!!

#9 4 years ago

I got jipped on my J Mnemonic. At first seemed great to pay $1,700 for this working pin. However, I have had to replace so much in the last two years. Dmd, power board, glove motors, plastics, speaker, ground straps and about every sensor in game. Also items I cannot remember. The $ money is one sore thing but really the labor is what really got me. The game is usually down and I have hundreds of hours in labor in it (I work at a slow pace but still!). The cab is pretty banged up too! I will be leaving as is since keeping the game playable keeps me busy!

#10 4 years ago
    Quoted from TimeBandit:

I paid $13.5k (AUD mind you) for my TronLE.
    I paid $3200 for a beat up Tommy that I put in a new Xpin PS, a whole bunch of plastics, cliffies, time changing rails and legs, a new lock down bar, then sold for $2900.
    I still love it.

there is more to pinball than just the $$$
    Tron is a great game, tommy is also fun

as long as you do not keep paying too much, then you are fine

#11 4 years ago

$4,000 for a HUO AC\DC Pro. It wasn't so much that it was $4k up front--it was that it was $5k after the interest was all said and done. Yeah, I took out a loan for the game.. Bad idea. At least now I know better.

#12 4 years ago

Just spent about $2500 in trade for a pin not worth more than 1k. No more trades sight unseen.

#13 4 years ago

Lots of Auzzies... (note to self - sell to Auzzies only in the future)

#14 4 years ago
    Quoted from Atomicboy:

Lots of Auzzies... (note to self - sell to Auzzies only in the future)

Yeah, really...not sure if Americans are allowed in this thread, but I'll chime in...

Quoted from TimeBandit:

I've done that.

Quoted from The_Fonz:

Paid $3300 for my first pin (Getaway) at an auction. In hindsight it was the the most beat up, crappiest version of Getaway you were ever likely to see. So what to I do ? Spend "Medieval" money to make it the best Getaway I have ever seen.....and I still love the hobby too !

P1010614.jpg

I've done that, too.

Quoted from akm:

$4,000 for a HUO AC\DC Pro. It wasn't so much that it was $4k up front--it was that it was $5k after the interest was all said and done. Yeah, I took out a loan for the game.. Bad idea. At least now I know better.

And that.

Quoted from TimeBandit:

You, sir, have nothing on me. This is the only contest I win.

Quoted from TimeBandit:

For I am Kastanza, lord of the idiots. Haha.

Quoted from whisper:

I sold a really nice roadshow for 2.5k talk about Kastanza!!!

It's "Costanza." But you Aussies get double extra bonus points for the Seinfeld reference. Very impressive!

#15 4 years ago
    Quoted from bdaley6509:

Just spent about $2500 in trade for a pin not worth more than 1k. No more trades sight unseen.

What did you trade and what did you get if you dont mind me asking?

#16 4 years ago

I've done a few poor deals.....in fact I just made one.

One that comes to mind is I traded an average T2 for a Quicksilver with a worn pf. But I wanted the QS. Backglass is perfect and cab is ok. Had the PF restored and cleared, so I'm about 2700 into this Quicksilver, but she plays and looks incredible.

Another bone head deal I did was bought a beat up Diner for 2,500. I traveled so far for it, when i got there I was just heartbroken. Had that cleared and now she plays incredible as well, but both games cost me a lot.

#17 4 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

It's "Constanza." But you Aussies get double extra bonus points for the Seinfeld reference. Very impressive!

Actually Costanza.

Worst price? $5k for a MM in 2003. That was $500 more that they were going for at the time. Still the most I've ever spent on a game since. Live and learn...

#18 4 years ago
    Quoted from kklank:

I paid a 1000 bucks for a Big Guns and sold it for 600! And I drove 5 hours to get it. What a horrible experience. One of my first pins. Just terrible. But it sure felt good when I first picked it up!

Quoted from beelzeboob:

It's "Constanza."

Nope. Costanza

#19 4 years ago

You do it long enough, you get some deals, you take some hits, it all works on in the wash. I'll never be one of those guys sitting around waiting for the perfect deal on a certain machine because I'm not willing to go a little higher than the going rate.

To all those that have overpaid, meh, there are still much worst things to throw money at that you will NEVER see again, which is the accepted route of most of the non-pinball crowd.

#20 4 years ago

F 14 Tomcat $500 many years ago

#21 4 years ago

$3200 for a Paragon. It has a NOS clearcoated playfield, all new parts and boards etc. but it's still high. I didn't want to wait for another nice one to come up.

I thought it included a CPR backglass too which I didn't realize the seller swapped out from a different ad until I got it home

#22 4 years ago

My first machine was a BoP three years ago. I bought it off of eBay and drove 6 hours each way to get it. $1825. I didn't know anything, and when I got home, I noticed one of the slings was completely broken, battery corrosion on the board, cabinet speaker not working, plenty of insert wear on the playfield, etc.

Lesson learned! At least now, if I overpay, I know I'm overpaying.

#23 4 years ago

Talk about overpaying...
    Predator: $4750.
    No pin.

#24 4 years ago

I've paid too much for all of mine, and always lost money when I sell them. It's a mystery to me how people make money on them.

#25 4 years ago
    Quoted from schudel5:

Actually Costanza.

Crap. That's what I get for rolling out of bed and posting. Dumbass...

#26 4 years ago
    Quoted from Atomicboy:

To all those that have overpaid, meh, there are still much worst things to throw money at that you will NEVER see again, which is the accepted route of most of the non-pinball crowd.

Yeah...like your cable or cell phone bill.

#27 4 years ago

I've lost money selling all but three pins (on which I broke even, minus shipping). The worst loss was with my first major purchase, a DE Star Wars I bought from a dealer and later sold for something like $1,600 less. Ouch!

#28 4 years ago

I bought a No Fear last year for $2000, and put another $1000 into it to fix it up (LEDs, new jump ramp, LED OCD, GI OCD, and all the usual parts). So now I have a $3000 faded No Fear.

#29 4 years ago

deleted

#30 4 years ago
    Quoted from akm:

That's some crazy interest ... wow!

#31 4 years ago
    Quoted from jlm33:

Talk about overpaying...
    Predator: $4750.
    No pin.

my thoughts precisely! Only pin I have over paid for.

Well, I have paid more than I should have for many others and sunk literally thousands into some just to get them running, but that is part of the fun.

Funny enough my biggest overpay is also now one of my better deals. My first pin was a piece of junk TAF from Iowa that I paid way too much for. I think it was 3500 back when I got it. That now seems like a steal in today prices and I have been able to share it on route for the past 17 months and it gets more "thanks for putting this out" than any other game.

#32 4 years ago

JPOP's RAZA $4750.00 for nothing... Thanks For nothing John!

#33 4 years ago

DE Star Wars beater 15 years ago for $2,300. My parents bought it off eBay. It was my first pin and I had no idea what I was doing. Took me two years to take the glass off. I have come a long way since then. Still, the Star Wars is probably worth $1,500 after 15 years. Since then I have made some good deals too Tronle NIB for 5k and AFM for $3,300 three years ago.
    You win some, you lose some.

#34 4 years ago

I'll let you know when I win some.

#35 4 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

I'll let you know when I win some.

Just meet me at Expo, sell me something, and you'll be good.

#36 4 years ago
    Quoted from TimeBandit:

Just meet me at Expo, sell me something, and you'll be good.

I'll be sure to bring my stepdaughter.

#37 4 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

my thoughts precisely! Only pin I have over paid for.
    Well, I have paid more than I should have for many others and sunk literally thousands into some just to get them running, but that is part of the fun.
    Funny enough my biggest overpay is also now one of my better deals. My first pin was a piece of junk TAF from Iowa that I paid way too much for. I think it was 3500 back when I got it. That now seems like a steal in today prices and I have been able to share it on route for the past 17 months and it gets more "thanks for putting this out" than any other game.

That's like my TZ 5 years ago. I paid $4500 to have it brought up from the states to me in Canada, and people told me I was way overpaying. I didn't care, I wanted it then. Now it's worth much more.

Even the bad buys will be good buys if you sit on them long enough. I rarely sell, so it's no sweat of my nutsack.

#38 4 years ago

I once traded a nice project Judge Dredd for a really shitty "shopped out" DE Playboy (pretty horrible shop out and the game never worked right) and a box of Cool Ranch Doritos (the guy worked for Frito-Lay). I still to this day don't know what possessed me to do this, I guess I just didn't want to shop out the Judge Dredd. Ended up selling the Playboy as a project for around $700 after many attempts to get it working correctly and putting a decent amount of money into it via boards and other things.

#39 4 years ago

$150.00 for a Bally Rapid Fire that was about six months old. Still paid too much for it. However, it remained in my small collection for 23 years where I eventually sold it complete and in working CONdition at a SuperAuctions for $425.00 . So, at least it wasn't a total loss.

#40 4 years ago

I paid 1k for a Raven..... . . . . I think I was lucky enough to sell it for 800 ...

#41 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I once traded a nice project Judge Dredd for a really shitty "shopped out" DE Playboy (pretty horrible shop out and the game never worked right) and a box of Cool Ranch Doritos (the guy worked for Frito-Lay). I still to this day don't know what possessed me to do this, I guess I just didn't want to shop out the Judge Dredd. Ended up selling the Playboy as a project for around $700 after many attempts to get it working correctly and putting a decent amount of money into it via boards and other things.

So, if my math is right, that's a $700 box of Cool Ranch Doritos?

#42 4 years ago

I'm probably in that boat on several machines.
    Cyclone is probably my worse. I paid $1200 (after coming down from $1600). The family had medical bills, and was laid off from NASA (so i know it helped). At first, I thought i was doing ok. But as i dug into, I realzied just how much damage the game had (bad repairs, hacks, broken ramps, etc..). Plus, at the time the rampswere un-obtainum.

I'm a picky SOB, so I went overboard on bringing her back to her former glory (Boards repaired by Clive, New LED display, New CPR Playfiled, New CPR Plastics, New Glass, New GI boards relays, all new switches, LED's throughout, various new parts on the playfiled, new Ramp, Cab repair, ++++). I'm certain that i am at least $2500 deep into the game.... Not including my labor.

I probably have the most expensive Cylone in Texas....Oh well... It plays like a dream...

#43 4 years ago
    Quoted from Gotpins:

So, if my math is right, that's a $700 box of Cool Ranch Doritos?

Pretty much. The nice thing was I had bags of Doritos in my shop for about 6 weeks but upon eating the last chip I suddenly had the buyer's remorse. I do love Cool Ranch Doritos. But I'm not falling into that trap again assholes so stop PMing me with Dorito for pin deals.

I only had $1,000 bucks in the Dredd so it was more like a $300-$500 box of Doritios all said and done.

#44 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

But I'm not falling into that trap again assholes so stop PMing me with Dorito for pin deals.

How do you feel about Cheetos? You like Cheetos? I might be able to work a Cheetos deal for the right game. Or perhaps you like Chinese food? I know of a great place just outside the DC area. What's your stance on racism by the way?

#45 4 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

$150.00 for a Bally Rapid Fire that was about six months old. Still paid too much for it. However, it remained in my small collection for 23 years where I eventually sold it complete and in working CONdition at a SuperAuctions for $425.00 . So, at least it wasn't a total loss.

So your "worst" deal involved owning and playing a game for 23 years and then reselling it for close to 300% of what you paid? This is your world, sir. The rest of us just live in it.

#46 4 years ago
    Quoted from Gotpins:

How do you feel about Cheetos? You like Cheetos? I might be able to work a Cheetos deal for the right game. Or perhaps you like Chinese food? I know of a great place just outside the DC area. What's your stance on racism by the way?

Pro Racist Chinese Food, Anti Cheetos.

You have to be wrong in the head to keep Cheetos in your shop. Everything would be orange.

#47 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

You have to be wrong in the head to keep Cheetos in your shop. Everything would be orange.

Don't be so dramatic. My coworkers and I eat them all the time without any problem.

cheetos.jpg

#48 4 years ago

I paid $900 for a Street Fighter 2 which I thought was a great deal on a DMD pin but...After playing it for a week and looking at those painfully bad DMD animations and hearing the same call outs over and over and over again...I think I paid $900 too much...sold it as fast as I could...sorry SF2 fans it just was not for me...

#49 4 years ago

I haven't had a terrible deal yet like some people here, but worst in terms of money was probably my F-14 Tomcat. I liked the game a lot and spent a lot of time making it nice, but the beacon topper did my head in and never worked properly. When I first got it was intermittent, I found this was because one of the wires was sheared right where it goes into the motor. If I had known what I did now likely I could have repaired it but at the time I bought a new motor. Much smaller than the original and just never had the power to pull the rubber belts that drive the beacons, burned out after it jammed once whilst a friend was playing it. I hired a proper repair guy to come over and fix it which meant a 3rd motor and by this point I was fed up with it and moved it on. I moved it onto the same friend who burned the second motor out and he has never had an issue with it!

All in all I probably put $300 into just trying to get the topper working properly and never saw the benefit.

#50 4 years ago

Bought my first pin (Meteor) from a reseller for $1,200. Fun pin. Kept it for about a year and sold it for $800. I just looks at it as it cost me $30 per month to play it. I'm OK with that.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Electronics
    Third Coast Pinball
    $ 8.00
    Electronics
    Third Coast Pinball
    $ 27.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    Cabinet - Other
    UpKick Pinball
    Displays
    GermanGamingSupplies.com
    $ 40.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Metalhead Pinball
    $ 38.75
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 269.00
    Cabinet - Other
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 135.00
    Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
    Lit Frames
    $ 4.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 25.00
    Apparel - Unisex
    Project Pinball Charity
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 28.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 149.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 29.95
    Apparel - Unisex
    The GameRoom Store
    $ 19.00
    $ 40.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Rock Custom Pinball
    Electronics
    Third Coast Pinball
    $ 94.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 46.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    Lighting - Interactive
    Pinball Z
    There are 123 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside