Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 79 posts
  • 50 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by stangbat
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

There are 79 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 10 years ago

Ok this should be a fun thread. I have been a collector in the "pinball hobby" for about 6 years now. Everyone LOVES to talk about the GREAT deals they receive, but you rarely hear about the AWFUL deals people just deal with. I have had my fair share of crappy deals over the years, and am not ashamed to talk about them. I look at my missteps as a learning experience.

So, without this turning into a flaming thread, lets discuss some of our "special" deals that ended up NOT being a deal at all. I have no shame in saying I have dealt with four less-than-desired deals over the years, lets hear about yours!

1) Street Fighter 2 - I purchased a "game in need of boards" on Craigslist for $300. I said to myself "I can absolutely source a PCB set for $400 and make this a great deal of a game"! Got the game home... started poking around (mind you it was my first gottlieb system 3). Come to find out... all the flippers were gone (5 assemblies), the coil relay board assembly was missing, the transformer was bad, ALL the circuit boards were missing. I lucked out and found ANOTHER parts Street Fighter 2 (for another $300), which completed the game-specific missing parts. Placed a MASSIVE parts order with PBR to complete the game. All said and done, I wound up being about $1300 into SF2, 40 or so hours of labor. I traded it to a local friend, valued at $900 (ouch).

2) Agents 777 - I found a "bargain rare gameplan game" on ebay for a mere $250, only 2 hours away! In my noob mindset, I looked at IPDB, saw only 400 were made and instantly did the "buy it now". Got the game home, it looked OK, but did not power up (I knew the MPU had acid damage). Not realizing it at the time, Gameplan MPU's are IMPOSSIBLE to find working. Fortunately for Agents 777 (bad for my wallet), Lakeside re-ran the MPU, for another $300. Turns out when I got the MPU in, my driver was faulty as was the power supply. I rebuilt the PSU, replaced the driver. Other various parts put this project up to $750 and about 30 hours of labor. I wound up trading it in a two-for-one deal, valued at $450 (ouch again!)

3) Black Hole (of money lol) - I had been in the market for a Black Hole for a whopping 2 months, and took the first available example that popped up locally, within my price range (warning sign #1). I showed up at the sellers house to do the deal, this is his only pinball machine and he's owned it less than 6 months (warning sign #2). He has to "sell immediately so his ex wife doesn't get it in the divorse" (warning sign #3). Like all bad deals, I had my "great price" blinders on when he was only asking $900 for Black Hole. I quickly packed the game up, gave him my money and ran for the hills. Joke was on me... I get it home and do a closer inspection... the CPU is hacked to sh!t, very poor acid repair job. The cabinet head had signifigant water damage. The bottom playfield was warped (probably from a flood). Numerous things were broken all over (another expensive PBR order...) All said and done, I was about $1350 into my "less than desirable" black hole, and about 40 hours into restoring it. The restoration came out as good as it could given the starting example, I wound up selling to a friend for $750.

4) Star Wars Data East - This "deal" takes the cake. My uncle, new to the hobby, decided he LOVED the machines I have. He also LOVES star wars, and decided he HAD TO HAVE a Data East star wars ASAP. He found a "bargain" star wars on ebay for $1100, and had it shipped from CA to CT (for restoration) for another $500. At this time he is $1600 into the game. This example turned out to be a VERY poor condition re-import from south-america that had essentially EVERY assembly hacked apart. I have never seen such "repairs" in my entire pinball career. Needless to say, this machine needed DRASTIC help. My uncle was unwilling to cut his losses and decided to proceed with the "restore" (as best as we could given the example). $2200 (!!!) in parts later, 60 hours in labor later, ($4000 if you're following), we ended up with a decent (at best) player condition star wars. The playfield ended up restoring to a solid 7 out of 10 (after addressing lots of wear issues). The cabinet ended up being a 4 out of 10 with no possibility of being better (without doing custom art).

So, all of that said, I have learned a LOT about dealing with machines, and deciding if something is TRULY a deal (or just attractively priced garbage).

What "oop's" have you made in your pinball collecting adventures???

#2 10 years ago

I can honestly say that out of the 40 or so machines that I have owned, none of them were really a bad deal that I regretted buying. I have made some really bad deals selling some of my machines....

#3 10 years ago

Heh, no one else speaking up to confess eh?

Okay, my really bad deal was in 1999. I had wanted an Eight Ball Deluxe for a long time, since that was the pin that got me hooked back in high school. Well on EBAY (ugh, major red flag #1) I saw this special Limited edition that was selling for only $500! The pictures weren't very good resolution and it looked great in them, especially if you squinted! The seller was telling me how excellent the condition was, high gloss, a "beautiful example of this pin". Back then it was Pilot Air shipping to get it home to Kansas (only $140) but when it arrived it was a massive shock.

The cabinet was falling apart, coming unglued not just at the corners, but the layers of plywood were coming unglued from each other. The playfield was worn to the wood in numerous spots (but not in the original pics, go figure) and to say it had planking would be a step up from it's condition.

Ebay wasn't any help resolving this, the seller ended up posting negative comments about me trying to rip HIM off. *sigh*

That was the first and LAST pin I bought off Ebay and I've been through over 120 pins since then. Ended up giving that EBD Deluxe away to a friend for spare parts. Couldn't stand to look at it myself.

#4 10 years ago

Probably the worst deal I made was not keeping my initial order for an AC/DC LE BIB NIB from a Dealer when it first came out.I changed it to another pin, I think an HUO BDK. Who knew ?

#5 10 years ago

A couple years ago I sold a BSD for $1350 and an EATPM for $1500. Fair prices at the time. Bad deals in hindsight. I miss the BSD big time. There's just something about that game.

#6 10 years ago

Ugh GaryMartin- thats a heart breaker right there! Sorry to hear about your bad experience, but from the sounds of it you learned a lesson that only cost $500! (dont buy on ebay with crappy pics no matter how good of a 'deal' it seems to be!)

Thanks for sharing!

#7 10 years ago
    Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

A couple years ago I sold a BSD for $1350 and an EATPM for $1500. Fair prices at the time. Bad deals in hindsight. I miss the BSD big time. There's just something about that game.

The recent "inflation" doesn't necessarily mean you made a bad deal, it just means you sold at "2011 prices".

By those standards, I think we're all guilty of making a bad sale

#9 10 years ago

In 2005 I sold CV for $1800.00 Theater of Magic $ 2,000.00 TOTAN for $1800.00 This is before I owned a PC. Yes it is hard to believe but I did not buy a PC till 2007. I sold the pinball's to the same man who turned around a sold them for much more. Since That time I have bought back TOM & TOTAN but at a hell of a lot more than I sold them for.

#10 10 years ago

I traded a Judge Dredd for a really ratty DE Playboy and a box of cool ranch doritos. And I'm not even kidding.

That's the worst one. Don't ask me why I did it, I still have no idea.

#11 10 years ago
    Quoted from LEV:

I traded a Judge Dredd for a really ratty DE Playboy and a box of cool ranch doritos. And I'm not even kidding.

Shopping for pinball machines while hungry is always a bad idea!

#12 10 years ago
    Quoted from LEV:

Uh oh... more RGP vermin coming over to Pinside.... Welcome aboard Idnayman....

For the record, Cool Ranch Doritos ARE pretty tasty....

#13 10 years ago
    Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

I got you beat by several hundred...Sold my BSD to B_R when I was going through a divorce and getting out of the hobby

#14 10 years ago

And to elaborate, I've had the fortune of not buying any bad deals...I've probably sold every game under value however, but its almost always to people getting into the hobby or to good friends so I get some solace from that.

#15 10 years ago

Ok. I got one! I will not buy another game plan for any reason after this one either!
    Sharpshooter (Minor MPU problem and I was green) $250 and I thought I was doing great!
    I failed at figuring out repair and sent it out! $125 and 8 months later I had a board that worked for 1 week. But there were more problems.
    I bought a repo for $300 like the original poster!
    Driver board had issues. Spent like $40 on NTE replacement parts to find I had an IC problem blowing them as well. Bought a replacement driver for $60 as is clean no hacks that did not work. I made one out of two.
    Needed a few coils and got them from Marco for about $60
    Rubber kit for $25
    Many Many new lamps which we won't include!
    I still have some 5-7 controlled lamps not getting voltage. I went over the lamp driver and found 1 2n5060 bad. That means either it is affecting other things or I have another IC problem. Anyone have a LDU-2 they want to sell cheap? I assume it will be bad but hopefully have enough good parts to get mine going!
    To sum it up. I have a really solid well functioning player's sharpshooter (once I get the 5-7 lamp thing resolved). That cost me............
    $250 (machine)
    $425 (MPU)
    $160 (sdu and coils)
    $25 (Rubber)
    >100 hours (I like playing with machines so I am OK with this - I am not ok with the 2 years it took
    to get working)
    ---------------
    $860
    + Whatever the lamps and lamp driver parts cost me

It is actually a good game. The playfield is not planking (planking upsets me) and the action is smooth as could be. But the effort and cost makes me sick looking at it! I hope to unload it at Pinfest next year.

#16 10 years ago

I bought a Bally rapid fire once.Got it home to work on it and shorted something out and it never worked again. Playtime perhaps 2 minutes. Got so mad I thru a wrench in its direction,broke the back glass.So I smashed it up and through it in the dumpster. From the time I got it home to the dumpster was about 8-9 hours.

#17 10 years ago

My first Pin is a Sharp Shooter from Game Plan. I was excited to add a pin and liked the western theme. I paid 500.00 for it. It started smoking the very first night. I still have it because I really like the looks of it. Doesn't work. It comes on and within a few minutes the lights stay on and the displays shut off. Also a reminder to do homework before buying something!

#18 10 years ago
    Quoted from LEV:

Crazy Levi has made the jump.

#19 10 years ago

Sold a "friend" AFM for 3k when I moved to my new place.The idea was when I was able I would buy it back.He flipped it the next week.Not my buddy now

#20 10 years ago

First pin: $1800 for a dirty broken ass BoP.

I learned a lot though about fixing pins and what to look for when buying one.

#21 10 years ago

I overpaid by at least a thousand dollars for my first pin by buying from a dealer. (I realize he has to charge more, but I hadn't quite realized just how much more.) I also had to pay tax and to pay a very steep delivery charge. (Who knew I could move one of these myself?) Anyway, it is the one pin on which I would lose a lot of money were I to sell. Live and learn.

#22 10 years ago

I paid about 800 for a cybernaut with sound issues, then sold it at captains auction before i knew i was supposed to bid it up or buy it back...hammer price was 375

#23 10 years ago

Buying an EM gun game in a guys basement then having to move it up 14 tight steps. It about killed two of us and now I am selling it for a $100 less than I paid for it because I really need the space.

NEVER but a gun game or anything else that big if it is in a basement. At least pinball machines fold down or come apart!

#24 10 years ago
    Quoted from Craig:

(Who knew I could move one of these myself?)

Are you Super-Man

#25 10 years ago

I purchased one awhile back and I was really proud of myself when I got home . It was in pretty good shape but was extremely dirty . I unloaded it from the back of my truck and set it up in the garage to clean it and replace the bulbs and rubber . When I lifted the playfield it looked like spider skeletons everywhere . I looked everywhere in the cabinet and I could one that was alive . It turns out that those spiders were brown recluse . I smashed the live one but immediately removed the pin from my garage into the driveway . The next day I called my exterminator and had it sprayed . He confirmed that they were brown recluse spiders so that machine never made it in my house. I really had a hard time touching the machine after that . I hate spiders ! I Checked my bed every night for two weeks . That was the only pin I regrete picking up . Talk about a barn find

#26 10 years ago

Bought a Bally Malibu Beach and Miss America Supreme Bingo for $2000.00 total. Was not disappointed and I still have and play them. But, some will say I overpaid by about $2000.00 while I feel I overpaid by about $1k. Although they were delivered from Harrison, Arkansas to Jeff Lawton's place in Cincinnati for that price.

#27 10 years ago

Bought a "Teed Off" at the auction for $800 a few years ago after playing 1 game on it. . The pin was in great shape but the game play is the worst I have played from the DMD era. I sold it 3 weeks later for exactly what I paid for it luckily. I know boring but I don't have a really good story.

#28 10 years ago
    Quoted from policano:

My first Pin is a Sharp Shooter from Game Plan. I was excited to add a pin and liked the western theme. I paid 500.00 for it. It started smoking the very first night. I still have it because

Hey wait a minute there's a Sharpshooter II on Craigslist right now!

#29 10 years ago
    Quoted from Slugmeister:

Sold a "friend" AFM for 3k when I moved to my new place.The idea was when I was able I would buy it back.He flipped it the next week.Not my buddy now

You see, this is what I don't get. These rubber-band deals pinheads make. If I sell something, it's gone. There's no expectation ahead of time to buy it back. Otherwise, I wouldn't sell it in the first place. You can keep it, flip it, set it on fire. No strings attached.

#30 10 years ago

Bought my very first machine for $125. EM in bad shape. Had it shopped for another $450. Needed room and didn't like it so put it an auction and got $140 for it a year later. Was just glad to get rid of it.

#31 10 years ago

Selling games to stay open. Some will be tough to replace.

LTG : )

#32 10 years ago
    Quoted from s1500:

Hey wait a minute there's a Sharpshooter II on Craigslist right now!

With massive PF damage. No thanks. I do want one tho

#33 10 years ago

Buying a Metallica pro translite for $200 and assumed that it was signed by DD because the seller won the translite at a Metallica pinball launch party .

#34 10 years ago
    Quoted from ralphwiggum:

Uh oh... more RGP vermin coming over to Pinside.... Welcome aboard Idnayman....
    For the record, Cool Ranch Doritos ARE pretty tasty....

Hey ! I used to be RGP Vermin, and I turned out alright...

#35 10 years ago

We are everywhere

#36 10 years ago
    Quoted from Gerry:

Hey ! I used to be RGP Vermin, and I turned out alright...

I've been on RGP since 99, but haven't been on there in probably a year or so..... once the smart phone revolution came alive, accessing RGP via smartphone and Google Groups just doesnt cut it for me....Still waiting to see how I turn out

#37 10 years ago

Selling my Tron LE and buying it back 4 months later for about $1k more than I sold it for.

#38 10 years ago

I bought a pin from Barrywnj on EBay. Do I need to say more?

#39 10 years ago
    Quoted from RobKnapp:

Are you Super-Man

It's not too hard, Rob! Leverage and the right handtruck...

Still having a great time with the SWE1!

KD

#40 10 years ago
    Quoted from too-many-pins:

Buying an EM gun game in a guys basement then having to move it up 14 tight steps. It about killed two of us and now I am selling it for a $100 less than I paid for it because I really need the space.
    NEVER but a gun game or anything else that big if it is in a basement. At least pinball machines fold down or come apart!

How much do those EM gun games weigh? More than pins?

#41 10 years ago
    Quoted from BossaNova:

It's not too hard, Rob! Leverage and the right handtruck...
    Still having a great time with the SWE1!
    KD

I love my SWE1........It looks nice next to RFM.......When guests are over RFM is used more.......Alone SWE1 is harder to me and more fun!

#42 10 years ago
    Quoted from fiberdude120:

I bought a Bally rapid fire once.Got it home to work on it and shorted something out and it never worked again. Playtime perhaps 2 minutes. Got so mad I thru a wrench in its direction,broke the back glass.So I smashed it up and through it in the dumpster. From the time I got it home to the dumpster was about 8-9 hours.

I hope that's a joke! Poor pin

#43 10 years ago
    Quoted from Pbgixxer:

It turns out that those spiders were brown recluse .

Dude, I think you just won the thread. Not only was it infested with insects... it was infected with DEADLY SPIDERS. Holy crap! I'm so glad nothing bad happened to you or your family! Heck of a story... where was the game located? What game was it?

#44 10 years ago

Great stories guys, keep em comin!

#45 10 years ago
    Quoted from cpsystem3:

Dude, I think you just won the thread. Not only was it infested with insects... it was infected with DEADLY SPIDERS. Holy crap! I'm so glad nothing bad happened to you or your family! Heck of a story... where was the game located? What game was it?

I agree.You win.Although most spiders are harmless and actually beneficial Brown Recluses are serious bad.

#46 10 years ago
    Quoted from Slugmeister:

I agree.You win.Although most spiders are harmless and actually beneficial Brown Recluses are serious bad.

Yeah it kinda gives me chills when I think about it . I set about 30 sticky traps in my garage just in case one sneaky one got out . When I purchased the pin in was sitting in the corner of a garage without the legs on it . You could tell it hadn't been touched in years . It was such a good deal I didn't even care if it worked . It had all the boards in it and looked complete so I gave the guy the money and loaded it up . When I got home I did the usual inspections and plugged it in . The battery holder was completely corroded but the damage was only on the holder . Powered it up and it had the memory error but that was okay because I was going to replace the holder anyways . Game played but I had a lot of work ahead of me cleaning . After I found out about the spider I stood the cabinet up and let's just say I was even more freaked out . When I was turning the game on and off I had been sticking my finger on the switch covered in spider eggs . Of coarse I didn't realize it until I could see the bottom of the cabinet . I know that guys house is invested with brown recluse spiders . My wife thought I was crazy for a couple weeks after that but if there is one thing I'm scared of its dangerous spiders . Be careful and inspect that new pin you just brought home . You never know what's hitching a ride . Lesson learned !

#47 10 years ago

My exterminator assured me that there was absolutely no way one could have survived his work . I still didn't care . How was I suppose to touch the pin after that . No way I was sticking my hands in the little cracks and crevices of the playfield . So it was by by good deal I'll find another one some day . Hope I never experience that again ....... Made a little $ on it though (not much ) and I'm sure it's out being enjoyed spider free

#48 10 years ago

this is a story i have to share. in 2011 i kinda got into pins, i know i wanted one. im from south africa, here its not always easy finding them for good prices. anyways i looked online and prices where just too much for some games, then i found a sf2 for 200$ but it was in another city, picture of it did not reveal too much the dmd and translite was missing, i figured no big deal, i contacted the seller and asked for pics of the boards, all of them there. then i had to decide was it worth making the mission to get the game, driving there and back would cost alot in petrol but i figured it would be a good little getaway roadtrip for me and my friend and i really wanted a pin badly. so the monday morning we use hes minibus to make the trip, tents and clothes food , water etc and a mattress in the back. this was not a single day trip, took us the whole week 2 days there and 2 days back. a total of 1000+ miles there and 1000+ miles back. so we get to the persons house and there the sf2 was ready in the driveway, didnt look all too bad , i mean the legs where rusted and the good old siderails rusted but i knew i could make it work. as we proceed to load to machine it starts to rain , bummer but lucky we get it in and i was soaking wet that sucked. so the road back was more difficult compared to going there, firstly me and my friend could sleep in the back when we went there but the pin took the oneside so we could not, we didnt want to spend more money on renting overnight places, so the one night he slept in the front and i in the back with the pin. the second night was the worst he didnt want to sleep in the the front again and i have hard time falling asleep if i cant lay flat out, we drove in the middle of nowhere that night to find a camping spot, it was dark and on a dirt road, we even did see some zebras there, one spot was so tricky cause we went uphill on the wrong road and nearly got stuck and almost rolled the damn minibus, im talking pitch dark u cant see ur hand infront of ur face if u put the cars lights off... eventually we get to the camp spot and i set up the tent, that night was the coldest night i ever had , i think i slept like 2 hours max and froze my ass off, but hey i got the pin i was happy all this crap was worth it...
    so i get home in the end, tired and all set the game on its legs and go to sleep. awhile after that i did start work on the game, plugged it into the wall, switch it on, nothing no lights came on at all. so i had to open the game , me having no pin experience. my dad helped me drill the lock, open it up and the funniest thing, some crazy hack job, the power cable wire was cut with only the earth still attach at the back... so no wonder the game did not want to turn on, no power to it. so how did i get power u asked? someone had some white wire attached to a plug inside the game , that was the power cable, why i have no idea... also it was not connected to earth. so i then proceeded to fix this issue... turned the game on , ahhh here we go lights on the backboard, but nothing else, i figured okay wow lets hope its not too serious. so i received some advice from a friend online on what to check etc, got myself a multimeter and proceeded to check voltages, well indeed power was not getting to some places. then i just messed around with some of the connectors inside the cabinet, maybe something was lose or not plugged in correct and it went on. i was happy about that. so u might ask where is the horror in this story? its coming. after awhile i figured well the game is very dirty , the playfield etc so i need to take it apart and give it a good cleaning. i strip the whole top side, took me ages cause i marked everything, took pictures of every single part and put them in bags, at the back of the playfield i noticed something was not right it was like there was playfield damage , i figured at first it was that. but the wood was very soft and some of the artwork there would just kinda come off and if u press on it, u could feel it was sort of nothing underneath, but still i had no clue, then i start peeling some of it back and see some brown stuff at first i figured oh probably just playfield damage or something u know. but the more i checked the more i see of this stuff, like little round balls almost. after some looking online, to my horror i was sure it was termites, then did some more research and i was pretty sure it was drywood termite frass. boy oh boy what todo, they might still be in there or they might be gone, i wanted to toss the cab at that point talking it over with my parents they said it would be best, but i just could not do it i mean all that trouble all the petrol money to just toss it, i did some more reading and some people talked about using bug bombs. so i removed everything from the bottom of the playfield to just make sure i dont damage anything, took pics , marked stuff, u name it. put 1 bug bomb in one day and a few days later another, also put a bug bomb in the garage for good measure. but still my mind was not at peace, the more i was reading online the more i got scared what if one of those suckers where still alive in there. so i figured only one way to find out , so i decided to break open the bottom panel of the game, easy to replace and i could maybe see if i could find some live termites i mean that would give me peace of mind atleast, i start breaking apart the bottom panel and didnt find too much damage just some holes at alot of places on the bottom side, but then after awhile frass and more frass, but no termites yet. then i found one dead one and another after breaking it apart. i was not at ease still , cause i found alot of damage side wood at the bottom, like the wood would just come apart , it was basically just paint with nothing underneath. in the end i decided to toss the game just was not worth the risk of one of those things for a game like this. had it been something else of value i might have tried to build a new cab and get a playfield or something but not for a sf2 it would not be worth it. i took the head off and geez i noticed tons of holes there too, some part on the underside of the playfield also had pieces of wood that came of real easy, so those suckers went to work on this game. i mean out of everything termites who would ever think of that, last thing i expected to happen but it did.
    tossed the playfield, the head and the cabinet, kept the boards and wire harness plastics etc. now i never want to see another sf2 pin in my whole life, i guess kinda same goes for gottlieb unless its maybe a stargate.... in the end, i learned alot. pin price was $200 dollar, the petrol was like almost 3 times that and i did not even think it would be nearly as much as it was.
    anyways lesson learned, going that far for a pin better be something thats worth it and not in bad shape, if its missing the dmd and translite tread carefully, even if i i did spot that termite problem at this persons house i would still be out the petrol money so it would still have sucked.

right now i have only 2 games, both i got after the sf2 issue, big guns that im busy working on, picked it up for $400 delivered to my home, was kinda in worse shape than i expected it to be. some idiot pained over the side art and front with black paint. but atleast the game works, just some raised inserts i have to fix and playfield touchups. the paint i have sanded down to reveal the artwork todo stencils, did not want to risk using paint remover... other issue with it , the person who had worked on it loved putting oil on everything, so much so i think he might have worked for a oil company, the drop targets mechs where full of it, this person figured probably cause they didnt go down quickly anymore add more oil. all he had todo was just give the spring more tension and it would have worked. lucky most of the stuff i have todo is more todo with time compared to money. when im done ill upload the work i have done on it with pics at some point, well hopefully before 2055 haha.
    the second game i have , if u can even call it a game. i checked a add for a pin on one of the classifieds and see a very beat up high speed in the pictures, the guy didnt say how much he wanted, just said he wants to swap it for what u have. so i call him, he tells me a guy is coming over to look at it , i tell him just call me if he doesnt show... so then he does call and say the guy never pitched (maybe he did but ran for the hills when he saw the game), i go check out the game, man oh man bad shape not the word. the whole backbox is falling apart, like u cant repair it have to build a new one , its so warped it cant even stand upright, he explained to me that the game was stored in a building and the roof leaked and it got wet. the cabinet well atleast its not as bad, but side art looks real bad and the game was standing outside atleast under a roof . playfield from what i could see under the glass looks decent, doesnt seem to have received any water on that side. so i stand there and think to myself is this worth even the trouble, so i figure right let me ask this guy what he wants, he says well he didnt say but how much would i give him for it, i tell him. the thing is in bad bad shape, most people would just toss the whole thing and it would take a ton of work to get it back up and running and thats if it even would come on at all. i tell him 35$, i figured he would say no, but he said sure when u want it. probably hes wife on hes arse to get the thing out of there was only too happy, my dad was with and he told me afterwards ur basically paying to take away someones trash haha. next day i go pick it up with my friends minibus, now its standing in the garage still and i have not touched it yet, smells like crap inside thats forsure... not a bad deal for 35$. im going to try to save it, cause i hate to toss another pin, but trust me this is the worst shape high speed u have ever seen in your life. no i have not tried to turn it on yet, ill have to be carefull not to start a fire and unplug the boards test etc , bit by bit to see whats the story with this game. boards seem to look clean, if u consider the whole backboard they are attached to is rusted. translite is toast... hopefully if it does work, i can finish this one maybe before 2055.

hopefully my next game would be something more shall we say, less junkyard trash. u guys sure are lucky to be in a country where finding pins are easy, in my whole trip i looked at a few arcades and did not find a single pin at all, even asked some people and nobody could point me to some to play...

#49 10 years ago

^Whoah. I actually read all that. I was intimidated at first when I saw how much was there. But it was worth the read.^

#50 10 years ago
    Quoted from DEVILinIRON:

^Whoah. I actually read all that. I was intimidated at first when I saw how much was there. But it was worth the read.^

Haha me to . I took a break though .

There are 79 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-worst-deals-you-have-made and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.