2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Bmad21
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

960x540-stalacpipe-organ (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Thermionic.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#8 2 years ago

Also possibly of interest, the largest MANUAL (completely mechanical, with no electricity used in any parts, including the bellows) organ in the world is in the Holy Trinity Cathedral in Liepaja, Latvia. The initial build was finished in 1779, with further registers added in the late 19th century, and rehab work over the past ten years.

An excerpt of J.S. Bach Prelude & Fugue in A-min (BWV-543) played on the organ (excuse the poor quality, I think it was taken by a tourist):

I don’t know about you guys, but nothing gives me more musical chills down the spine than hearing what is arguably the most magnificent musical composition in human history (rivaled only by Bach’s Passacaglia and Fugue in C-min, BWV-582) being played on a period instrument; there’s a genuinely timeless spiritual aspect that transcends multiple human generations and historical eras, and when listening you feel a kinship and immediate connection to a time and era that is otherwise rendered alien and mysterious by the passing of the centuries.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Thermionic.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-world-s-largest-organ-?tu=Thermionic and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.