(Topic ID: 276261)

The World's Largest Collection of Pinball Machines

By Charlemagne1987

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 3 years ago

One of my favorite threads on Pinside is the one asking for the latest pics of gamerooms. Some of those rooms are truly incredible, leaving me with a serious case of gameroom envy. Looking at these pics I began to wonder about who has the world's largest recorded collection of pinball machines, where they are located and if there are any pictures to see. I recently read that the Pinball Hall of Fame in Vegas will have 700 games set up in its new building with many more in a warehouse to be rotated in. That's impressive. Does anyone know of any collections larger than that, or even that size? And if you have pictures or links to websites I'd love to see them too.

#2 3 years ago
    Quoted from Charlemagne1987:

One of my favorite threads on Pinside is the one asking for the latest pics of gamerooms. Some of those rooms are truly incredible, leaving me with a serious case of gameroom envy. Looking at these pics I began to wonder about who has the world's largest recorded collection of pinball machines, where they are located and if there are any pictures to see. I recently read that the Pinball Hall of Fame in Vegas will have 700 games set up in its new building with many more in a warehouse to be rotated in. That's impressive. Does anyone know of any collections larger than that, or even that size? And if you have pictures or links to websites I'd love to see them too.

I believe it’s the Museum of Pinball in Cali. A friend works there and says they’ve got over 1k machines in house but too many for them to be all out on display.

http://www.museumofpinball.org/

#3 3 years ago

That looks awesome. I'd love to go there someday.

#4 3 years ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

I believe it’s the Museum of Pinball in Cali. A friend works there and says they’ve got over 1k machines in house but too many for them to be all out on display.
    http://www.museumofpinball.org/

Any of the Service guys Members here? Kudos to you.

#5 3 years ago
    Quoted from Charlemagne1987:

If the hall of fame is gonna have 700 then 70 of them will be playable

Every time i go there the games are in horrible shape. Zero care given.

It’s always a disappointment

#6 3 years ago

I will vote Pacific Pinball Museum in Alameda, CA. Several thousand machines in Museum and Annex.

#7 3 years ago
    Quoted from jbovenzi:

I will vote Pacific Pinball Museum in Alameda, CA. Several thousand machines in Museum and Annex.

That is 30mn from where I live and I didn't have the slightest idea it existed !

Thank you

#8 3 years ago
    Quoted from phil-lee:

Any of the Service guys Members here? Kudos to you.

Nah, I’ve got a friend that works at CPR too and none of them are on any pinball websites oddly enough.

#9 3 years ago
    Quoted from V8haha:

The current location is a real dump. Good thing they are moving.

#10 3 years ago
    Quoted from V8haha:

I’m sure Tim cares a bunch. I’m also sure it’s hard to get help when you’re not willing to pay for it.

#11 3 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

I’m sure Tim cares a bunch. I’m also sure it’s hard to get help when you’re not willing to pay for it.

Not willing or not able ?

ps : I've never been there and I don't know the guy, I tend to think it might be hard to make this a profitable business although seeing the new building makes me wonder.

#12 3 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

If their not willing to pay for help then i question how much they care. The money is there no doubt.

It’s a lucrative establishment.

#13 3 years ago
    Quoted from adol75:

Not willing or not able ?
    ps : I've never been there and I don't know the guy, I tend to think it might be hard to make this a profitable business although seeing the new building makes me wonder.

Yes very strict on how the money is spent. He takes NFP too literally imo. Literally every red cent outside of machine maintenance expenses goes to the Red Cross. His 990s are public so you can see for yourself.

#14 3 years ago

Maybe instead of asking who has the largest collection, ask what's the biggest working collection. I know Clay at vfw is always working on his games.

#15 3 years ago
    Quoted from freeplay3:

Maybe instead of asking who has the largest collection and ask what's the biggest working collection. I know Clay at vfw is always working on his games.

Great call. That’s 400 plus I think 100% working. I hear good things about the previously mentioned collection in Cali. Even if half are working it’s probably more than VFW.

But VFW isn’t just working. They are dialed in and playing great. I was very impressed and I’m extremely picky.

#16 3 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Great call. That’s 400 plus I think 100% working. I hear good things about the previously mentioned collection in Cali. Even if half are working it’s probably more than VFW.
    But VFW isn’t just working. They are dialed in and playing great. I was very impressed and I’m extremely picky.

I once heard Aaron Kaufman talk on Fast and Loud about some of the collections he seen. He said the best one was not the biggest, but of the 50ish cars they all were running, plated, and insured.
    I thought of that when I started reading this thread.

#17 3 years ago

Gamenausea has asteroids!

#18 3 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Great call. That’s 400 plus I think ....

A few more than that....for now.

#19 3 years ago

Simply want know who the greatest Pinball Repair Guy is.
    Someone taking care of that many machines knows...it all

#20 3 years ago

Gordo added 700+ tp Pacific....

https://www.pinballnews.com/news/ppmdonation.html

Hope to see him soon!

#21 3 years ago

I've been to the Banning location a number of times and the majority of his pins (and arcade games) are always up and running. Only a small percentage are down at any one time. The pinball warehouse has a crazy number of pins from early EMs all the way to newer releases. The arcade game warehouse is pretty impressive as well.

#22 3 years ago
    Quoted from phil-lee:

Simply want know who the greatest Pinball Repair Guy is.
    Someone taking care of that many machines knows...it all

yeah, that's Lloyd

#23 3 years ago
    Quoted from jbovenzi:

Richard konger (pretty much the first pinball collector ever) has already mentioned that his massive collction will be left to them as well. That for sure will make it the largest collection.

#24 3 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Yes very strict on how the money is spent. He takes NFP too literally imo. Literally every red cent outside of machine maintenance expenses goes to the Red Cross. His 990s are public so you can see for yourself.

That’s actually quite remarkable

#25 3 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

That’s actually quite remarkable

I agree. I also think the majority games should be working all the time. A monumental task, but should be done imo.

#26 3 years ago

You’d be surprised how often I’d run into this when I was in collections for the cable company. You’d go to disconnect someone’s internet and their excuse was that it was needed to collect income. Well if it’s your only source of revenue, then it should be top priority.

Same thing here. If the pinball collection is what brings people in the door, then having it working is paramount to all other efforts. If the collections quality suffers, the customers will notice and they won’t return, the cycle repeats until you have no revenue stream.

#27 3 years ago
    Quoted from Luckydogg420:

You’d be surprised how often I’d run into this when I was in collections for the cable company. You’d go to disconnect someone’s internet and their excuse was that it was needed to collect income. Well if it’s your only source of revenue, then it should be top priority.
    Same thing here. If the pinball collection is what brings people in the door, then having it working is paramount to all other efforts. If the collections quality suffers, the customers will notice and they won’t return, the cycle repeats until you have no revenue stream.

I can only assume with that many games they have to prioritize maintenance based on income and service the games that are played the most. They probably run into parts shortage for some of them.

#28 3 years ago

I applaud anyone willing to have all those collections playable. Hell, we know first hand it's hard to keep medium collections of around 15 pins working tip top. There's always something. Bulbs out, drops not resetting properly, switches not registering, etc. It has to be a monumental task to keep those museums running. I'm no expert, but I believe NFP organizations are allowed to have paid staff. That could help Tim. I know that would mean less donations to the Salvation Army, but they could dry up completely with no patrons.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-world-s-largest-collection-of-pinball-machines?hl=stuliss and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.