(Topic ID: 135842)

The wife told me to get rid of the pool table????

By flashinstinct

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 57 posts
  • 41 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Quint
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

tumblr_inline_my8r8wUwMr1rllgme.gif
    itsatrap1.jpg
    There are 57 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 8 years ago

The wife last night tells me that we should sell the pool table and move the pins (three of them) from the smaller room and convert the pool room into a bigger game room. I almost fell on my ass because my wife just doesn't get the hobby and pinball in general. She never plays. She then tells me to buy another game with the pool table funds. She then tells me to make the smaller room that currently holds my games into a small workshop for the games themselves...??????

Their must be some small fine print somewhere

If this all goes through..the new converted room 18' x 15' will be able to accommodate several new games but I also want to make a little mix of things. Any suggestions that I might not be thinking about like Mame cabinet, super chexxx, bar... vintage gas pump?

I feel like Christmas as come early this year.

#2 8 years ago

She's got somebody on the side. This is a diversionary tactic.

#3 8 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Hopefully "something" more than "someone"

#4 8 years ago

She wants a bathroom remodel, or bedroom remodel, or kitchen remodel, or a whole new wardrobe.
    Or she finally gave in.

Congrats!

#5 8 years ago

Yeah...there's something not quite right...

#6 8 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

LOL! My first thought also!!

#7 8 years ago

Super Chexx! I have one and it is a blast to play when you have a group over. Big foot print though. Other than that you need a multi-video game of some kind...a mame, 60-1,ect. That room of yours is big enough that you could put quite the collection in there for sure.

No to a gas pump imo...no place to put quarters

#8 8 years ago

Congrats on the game room(s), and good luck with the fine print.

About 6 years ago my husband started asking when we were going to have a baby. We were living in a little 2 bedroom house and I was already working 2 jobs and running a dog rescue, and the last thing I needed was to be pregnant and/or have a baby to deal with. So I came up with the great idea to turn the second bedroom into a full-blown home theater. (He worked at a home theater store at the time and could get discounts.) I was suddenly considered the coolest wife ever, and magically the baby talk stopped since there was nowhere to put one anymore.

#9 8 years ago
    Quoted from heinekenlvr:

Super Chexx! I have one and it is a blast to play when you have a group over. Big foot print though. Other than that you need a multi-video game of some kind...a mame, 60-1,ect. That room of yours is big enough that you could put quite the collection in there for sure.
    No to a gas pump imo...no place to put quarters

I had to get rid of my Super Chexx. I used to think it was the greatest thing ever--and it's still fun. But you always need somebody to play it with, and I'd get tired running back and forth from end to end when I played by myself. (I also beat everybody who played me, so nobody wanted to play.) Also, I used to think it was really cool. But next to a pinball machine, it looks like you're just slapping a piece of black plastic around a white plastic board. Which is kinda exactly what you're doing.

#10 8 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

I had to get rid of my Super Chexx. I used to think it was the greatest thing ever--and it's still fun. But you always need somebody to play it with, and I'd get tired running back and forth from end to end when I played by myself. (I also beat everybody who played me, so nobody wanted to play.) Also, I used to think it was really cool. But next to a pinball machine, it looks like you're just slapping a piece of black plastic around a white plastic board. Which is kinda exactly what you're doing.

Good point...but I think we can all agree that any game (arcade,pinball,ect) is much more fun when it is shared with other friends or family. I don't get the same rush playing the games by myself...they are meant to be shared. Nothing like having a basement full of people and watching them having a great time playing the collection.

#11 8 years ago
    Quoted from heinekenlvr:

Good point...but I think we can all agree that any game (arcade,pinball,ect) is much more fun when it is shared with other friends or family. I don't get the same rush playing the games by myself...they are meant to be shared. Nothing like having a basement full of people and watching them having a great time playing the collection.

Agreed. Super Chexx is a great game. But it's just not pinball. When push comes to shove, space for another pin wins. The pool table's next.

#12 8 years ago

Hurry and complete the process before she changes her mind...

#13 8 years ago

Something smells here. Odd.

#14 8 years ago

Just sold my MAME. I rarely used it, and it finally dawned on me that it was taking up space I could devote to another pin. Also, folks can play video games almost anywhere, but they come here for pinball. Just my two cents. If I had more room, I might well have kept the MAME.

#15 8 years ago

jukebox! ties the whole thing together, ill never get rid of mine. cds are dirt cheap and you can convert most to run an ipod if you want, but i enjoy selecting the tunes

#16 8 years ago

Sounds like a trap to me. What piece of jewelry has she been talking about lately? Maybe shoes?

#17 8 years ago

Buy a huge big ball bowler. Cash in on her mistake.

#18 8 years ago
    Quoted from flashinstinct:

... vintage gas pump?

cant play with a gas pump so... get anything else

#19 8 years ago
    Quoted from ff6735:

Sounds like a trap to me. What piece of jewelry has she been talking about lately? Maybe shoes?

With all the freelancing work that I did in the last 3 months I bought her a $2800 diamond ring to put on her finger. So I got that base covered I keep telling her she's got more money on one finger than my entire collection.

#20 8 years ago

Why's it got to be a trap?

Maybe she is just being cool about it. Sounds like your wife is supportive of your hobby even though she doesn't get the same enjoyment out of it.

#21 8 years ago

My wife once said that same thing to me, but then I woke up

#22 8 years ago

itsatrap1.jpgitsatrap1.jpg

#23 8 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Maybe she is just being cool about it. Sounds like your wife is supportive of your hobby even though she doesn't get the same enjoyment out of it.

You sir......must not be married....(or close to it)...............Joey

#24 8 years ago
    Quoted from fisherdaman:

cant play with a gas pump so... get anything else

Agreed, unless you are already way into that culture theres no point.

May I suggest an electronic (or old school) dart board?

#25 8 years ago
    Quoted from Breaking_Dad:

You sir......must not be married....(or close to it)...............Joey

LOL

Happily married almost 12 years with a set of 6 year old twins. You'd have to search long and hard to find a wife/spouse as awesome as mine though.

#26 8 years ago

Congrats & good luck!

I recommend the MAME. I love playing it, wife likes it, kids coming over for first time like the simple games (Like Frogger/Pac Man), and most people that visit have memories of arcade playing than pinball. But then after playing a few games of Defender or Joust they'll work over to the pins...

#27 8 years ago

Don't do it!!!

All my married friends say the same exact thing: "how do you get your woman to stop doing ____? Marry her."

That's why if I ever make the mistake of getting married, in my prenup it will be spelled out explicitly that she still has to be nice to me after we are married.

#28 8 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

You'd have to search long and hard to find a wife/spouse as awesome as mine though.

I did, and I did.

Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Don't do it!!!
    All my married friends say the same exact thing: "how do you get your woman to stop doing ___? Marry her."
    That's why if I ever make the mistake of getting married, in my prenup it will be spelled out explicitly that she still has to be nice to me after we are married.

Sorry about your friends making bad decisions. But marriage isn't a mistake if it's the right person. I waited until I was 40 to get married, and found the perfect woman who puts up with all my bullshit (it helps that she has 5 kids...I'm just like having a sixth!).

You can meet her if you see me at a show. Yes...she comes with me because even though she's not really into pinball, she's that awesome.

#29 8 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

That was my first thought as well

#30 8 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

LOL
    Happily married almost 12 years with a set of 6 year old twins. You'd have to search long and hard to find a wife/spouse as awesome as mine though.

Haha.....your wife must read here then.....hehe.......yes I did pretty good also......I mean...my wife did pose for pinside not too long ago... .....................Joey

#31 8 years ago
    Quoted from Breaking_Dad:

I mean...my wife did pose for pinside not to long ago... .....................Joey

Yeah...but that was back before Pinside was family friendly. BOOYAH!!!

#32 8 years ago

I am super attached to my pinball machines, but I will never part with the pool table. You need a new plan for pinball expansion. Get rid of that king size bed and go with bunks....3 machines right there. Who really needs a tub and shower? Another machine. Send her to the laundry mat. Couple more machines where the washer and dryer were. Keep the pool table.

#33 8 years ago

How about we think on the positive side. She did tell me we weren't using the pool table at all and that the kids would have more room to play around even if the pinballs were in the new room. She makes a valid point. Beside I currently used the pool table as a pinball part sorting mechanism when I take machines apart. I also have a 3 and 5 year old so was thinking maybe a skeeball machine would be fun for them.

#34 8 years ago

buy mor epins and ONLY pins!

nothing else will get used like pins!

also, be sure to take the wife out to a nice date night and also "break in" every new pin with her!

#35 8 years ago

The wife last night tells me that we should sell the pool table and move the pins (three of them) from the smaller room and convert the pool room into a bigger game room. I almost fell on my ass because my wife just doesn't get the hobby and pinball in general. She never plays. She then tells me to buy another game with the pool table funds. She then tells me to make the smaller room that currently holds my games into a small workshop for the games themselves...??????
    Their must be some small fine print somewhere
    If this all goes through..the new converted room 18' x 15' will be able to accommodate several new games but I also want to make a little mix of things. Any suggestions that I might not be thinking about like Mame cabinet, super chexxx, bar... vintage gas pump?
    I feel like Christmas as come early this year.

You need to marry her again. NOW!

#36 8 years ago

My pool table is an integral part of my game room. I got it as soon as I could afford it, more than 25 years ago when I was single and still living with my parents. I figured I'd better get one before there was anyone to say no, and it's a good thing I did. I play all the time and would never give it up. But there are lots of people who get a pool table, play for a few weeks, and then rarely touch it. Of course, some people do the same thing with a pin. In that case it's just taking up space and you might as well get something you'll use.

I check the local online classifieds for pool tables just out of curiosity once in a while. There are plenty of Sears specials out there but a screaming deal on a quality brand table isn't uncommon. I think it's a lot easier to get a deal on a pool table than on a pin these days.

Wish my wife was more like some of the ones on here. Nothing would thrill her more than me getting rid of my entire game room. Not gonna happen, though. Sometimes you gotta take the bad with the good.

#38 8 years ago

she just wants the other room

#39 8 years ago

The wife last night tells me that we should sell the pool table

You might want to sweep a black light over that thing tonight.

#40 8 years ago
    Quoted from blondetall:

About 6 years ago my husband started asking when we were going to have a baby. We were living in a little 2 bedroom house and I was already working 2 jobs and running a dog rescue, and the last thing I needed was to be pregnant and/or have a baby to deal with. So I came up with the great idea to turn the second bedroom into a full-blown home theater. (He worked at a home theater store at the time and could get discounts.) I was suddenly considered the coolest wife ever, and magically the baby talk stopped since there was nowhere to put one anymore.

There's always room for a crib in your bedroom.

#41 8 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

There's always room for a crib in your bedroom.

Well, there really wasn't in that house, but we're in a bigger house now. And we've somehow got no kids but a bigger home theater and 7 pinball machines. (I'm not totally anti-kids, but with a mother-in-law we've got to basically provide for and a husband on FMLA for migraines with an iffy job situation, I really don't want to be high-risk pregnant too.)

I think it's cool that the wife is being supportive. And no, it doesn't have to be a trap at all. My husband does lots of things I don't really care much about or wouldn't do on my own, mostly XBox gaming and football, but I listen and watch and show interest just because it's something he likes. And he's not as much into pinball as I am, but he helps me with them and spent last weekend upgrading our RFM to a LCD monitor and upgraded speaker system. It's really cool to have your own things and still be supportive of each other. That's what makes a good team.

#42 8 years ago

Make sure she reads this thread.

Outstanding women. That I nominate for pin wife of the year!!

Gain some space for kids. More room for new toys, some funds ok' d for new toys. Dang!!

She is the best!!

Oh the game junkyard (crane) comes to mind. I wanted to get one real bad for my boy but it just never happened for one reason or another. Trying to pick up matchbox cars and get the winning tonage moved.

#43 8 years ago

was thinking maybe a skeeball machine would be fun

Was scanning the thread to see if anyone would point out skee ball. When we have people over the first machine that gets played is always the skee ball. A great choice.

-Rob
    -Visit http://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets or for my Pinball 2000 H+V sync combiner

#44 8 years ago
    Quoted from blondetall:

You are the coolest not-my-wife ever!!! Hubby's a lucky guy.

#45 8 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Nah, only if he's a same sex couple. Otherwise...

IT'S A TRAP!

#46 8 years ago
    Quoted from Blackjacker:

You might want to sweep a black light over that thing tonight.

Lol

#47 8 years ago

+1 for Skeeball. My wife says that's next before another pin. And she wants a Ms PacMan cocktail table, too.

#48 8 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

buy mor epins and ONLY pins!
    nothing else will get used like pins!
    also, be sure to take the wife out to a nice date night and also "break in" every new pin with her!

The more pins you have, the more chances you get to use your new workshop space. Vids are boring, they break so infrequently.

#49 8 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Everything is always a trap. That's just how we roll...

There are 57 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-wife-told-me-to-get-rid-of-the-pool-table and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.