2ofClubs-cute_(resized).jpg
Joker-card_(resized).jpg
ace_of_spades_(resized).png
wife_card_(resized).jpg
spock_(resized).png
credit-card_o_895652_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpeg
DogInPants2_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dcfan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#36 7 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

I think it is kind of funny how everyone here (or mathematically close to everyone) knows what it means when someone says - "I thought I had a buyer lined up but he pulled the wife card". As a never married person I wonder. Is this common in other hobbies? Is this common in general for other things?
I can imagine someone saying "Bill was supposed to come to poker night, but he played the wife card instead". But is this a "known expression"?

In pinball the wife card is very understandable to me. Pinball machines are expensive and take up a lot of house space. Also, some wives feel that a husband's hobby that they are not involved in and have no interest in is bad for them.

#101 7 years ago
Quoted from sohchx:

I have a close friend who's wife is just like this. If they can't do it together, or she just doesn't like it in general, she won't allow him to do it. Such a shame, and he wonders why I find her to be unbearable.

The "won't allow him to do it", meaning not allowed to participate at all, is unreasonable to me unless they simply don't have finances for it. If there is no flexibility and freedom in a marriage from either side it will likely be an unhappy union for one of the couple.
What I can understand is the scenario where the wife is being the limiter because we as hobbyist can and many do get carried away.
The time spent with the spouse, the space in the house taken up by the games, and stress about finances can become unbalanced if the hobby becomes too much of a focus.
I do cringe every time I see hobbyists with games set up in several rooms of their house or when someone talks about buying games on credit.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dcfan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-wife-card?tu=dcfan and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.