2ofClubs-cute_(resized).jpg
Joker-card_(resized).jpg
ace_of_spades_(resized).png
wife_card_(resized).jpg
spock_(resized).png
credit-card_o_895652_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpeg
DogInPants2_(resized).jpg

There are 206 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.
#151 7 years ago

I thought about getting married for about thirty seconds once, then I snapped out of it fast. I figure if two people love each other they don't need a man made legal binding contract to stay together. If they don't then parting won't be such sweet sorrow. At least for one of them.

#152 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I thought about getting married for about thirty seconds once, then I snapped out of it fast. I figure if two people love each other they don't need a man made legal binding contract to stay together. If they don't then parting won't be such sweet sorrow. At least for one of them.

Or you can do what I did:
Invite all your friends & have a kick ass party in Jamaica, Collect all the wedding gifts, get married by a guy dressed up like Jesus, and then come back to USA and not legally be married here

#153 7 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Collect all the wedding gifts

I knew there was something I was missing out on.

#154 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I knew there was something I was missing out on.

ha...it's just kids man; The only reason to get married is having kids. It just makes it legally harder for someone to skip out and leave the kid with the other person.

#155 7 years ago

Reality is you can just wear your spouse down by buying more stuff. At some point, they either divorce you or just deal with it - either way you know where you stand. You want a marriage litmus test? Buy a couple of expensive pinball machines.

I would start with something really expensive and then everything else would appear cheaper and more reasonable. And if you sell something close to what you paid for it, you can play the "I told you it was just like cash" card.

#156 7 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

ha...it's just kids man; The only reason to get married is having kids. It just makes it legally harder for someone to skip out and leave the kid with the other person.

I have a kid. The woman skipped out and took my daughter with her. It was both one of the saddest and happiest days of my life. It all turned out for the best though as my daughter and I stayed real close and it became easier to deal with her mother. I never missed a month of child support and am about to mail the last check. No alimony though...never.

#157 7 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Bob you called in an airstrike on your ex ?
Now that's some vengance.

The goverment frowns upon using UAVs in that manner.

#158 7 years ago

Dear Porkchop,

Please don't post any more pics of nut sacks with body piercings even if it is supposed to be a purse.
Makes me cringe every time I see it.

#159 7 years ago
Quoted from bob_e:

All of these were bought after the wife left in 2000

Puts my little glow engine & electric stuff to shame! How do you even track those things in air? There is no slow speed on those, and I can imagine landing every time feels like an "oh shit!" moment.

Fastest I've flown are home-made delta foamies (foam core), and those were hairy to fly. Probably somewhere around 70-80 mph, and that was fast as hell and tough to track. I can't imagine double that. Lost track of one in some trees at the end of a field a mile away once, but found it amazingly and it survived.

#160 7 years ago
Quoted from CubeSnake:

The wife card routine gets me angry-really angry-when a buyer tries to employ it I simply shut down and ALL negotiations are off. I cannot believe men can be:
A) Pussies for even using this tact. Seriously, do they have not enough backbone to make deals without involving their wives??!?
B) So disrespectful TO their wives that they make them out to be raging bitches??
C) If (B) is indeed true, that they cannot stand up to them and tell them to get their own hobbies & stay the f*ck out of theirs.
I've thrown guys out of my house for doing this. Quite a few times now that I think of it. the last time was just earlier this month when I was selling a small Honda motorcycle. The phone was ringing off the hook for this thing so I told the 1st guy who called to meet me. He INSISTED that we meet at a public place. I told him "No, we're meeting at my home, if you don't want this and are going to be playing games, please move on" So he gets up the 'courage' to actually show up at my house, he's nearly an hour late, and he with his wife (maybe for 'protection', lol). He nervously introduces himself and proceeds to look at the bike. He likes it, starts it and runs it a bit and makes me an offer for $50.00 less than I had it listed for. I accept it, as it was a fair offer and he said he had cash. He then goes over to "The Wife" and asks if they think they can swing it. She flatly says "NO!" He meekishly walks over to me and says, "We don't think this is a good idea right now". I'm like, "really??!? WE??" So after wasting time dealing with this milksop, I tell him good luck in finding another bike that wifey will approve of and, oh, by the way, when you go to buy it, make sure that you leave HER at home but be sure to take your balls with you that she's keeping in her purse. They both got in their SUV and drove off.
The sad & scary thing is this. THIS is America 2016 and these entitled assholes are typical. You may not like what I'm saying, but it's much more common now than it ever was.

That is hilarious! I am actually married and my wife is like a pitbull when it comes to things not going her way or even when you don't listen to her.. so before we bought our house I told her I'm getting a man cave.. she's like No! I'm like I'm getting a man cave! she's like no.. I'm like listen I don't care about the rest of the house you can decorate it add what ever furniture you want but I/m getting a man cave! sure enough we bought the house and I have my man cave!! then I got the idea that I wanted to restore my dads old Flash Pinball or he was just going to toss it so I said I was going to put it in my man cave. This time she was like hell no what if you don't get it working it's just going to sit there and collect does or be an eye sore. I said I don't give a F*ck if it just sits there I'm going to have a pinball machine in my Man cave.. Me being mischievous and rebellious as I am.. I now have a pinball machine inside my man cave! she was pissed because I just brought it home and did not want in the house at all but she finally understands I need my hobbies to keep me sane.. not to mention after a week of the pinball being at my house I got it working.. and let's just say that I'm not the only that's been playing the pinball!Moral of the story.. don't let your wives intimidate you hold onto to your balls and man up!

#161 7 years ago
Quoted from thedefog:

Puts my little glow engine & electric stuff to shame! How do you even track those things in air? There is no slow speed on those, and I can imagine landing every time feels like an "oh shit!" moment.
Fastest I've flown are home-made delta foamies (foam core), and those were hairy to fly. Probably somewhere around 70-80 mph, and that was fast as hell and tough to track. I can't imagine double that. Lost track of one in some trees at the end of a field a mile away once, but found it amazingly and it survived.

Expierence... and youi dont have to fly them at 200 MPH. I flew my ACM Whiplash and UK Magnum up to 180 MPH. they are small and prop driven. You just have to be ahead of it when flying.

whip1_(resized).jpgwhip1_(resized).jpg

magnum_049_(resized).jpgmagnum_049_(resized).jpg

speedfreak_(resized).jpgspeedfreak_(resized).jpg

#162 7 years ago

I Never use the wife card, implied or not.
(Be a man, if you decide something, let your yes be yes and no be no) even if your wife steps in

Quoted from DCFAN:

I do cringe every time I see hobbyists with games set up in several rooms of their house or when someone talks about buying games on credit.

my wife loves the hobby, she doesn't play the games much, but she loves that our boys and I love it... But yes, I've put a game in every room in the house. And I bought one on credit just to pay it off.

I give my wife some money off every sale and let her help choose what I buy or don't buy and follow the few rules...
1. If a game comes in the house, 1 leaves (we are maxed out on space as far as games go)
2. If a game comes in the house, it needs to look HUO

In the house
11 arcades
6 pins
1 mini virtual pin
Garage
3 arcades
5 pins
1 slot machine
1 pachinko

#163 7 years ago

and do what ever the hell you want. doesent mean do what ever the hell you want.

#164 7 years ago

Grow a pair and be a man by stop blaming your wife or using her as an excuse. Additionally, (and this is a novel idea) let her know more than a few hours in advance that your about to go blow $$$$ on a hobby that she couldn't care less about or that means she won't be able to feed the kids for the next few months.

I think you'll find that if you plan in advance and have some dialogue every now and again that wives can be fairly supportive of your endeavors.

#165 7 years ago
Quoted from HeatedCane:

That is hilarious! I am actually married and my wife is like a pitbull when it comes to things not going her way or even when you don't listen to her.. so before we bought our house I told her I'm getting a man cave.. she's like No! I'm like I'm getting a man cave! she's like no.. I'm like listen I don't care about the rest of the house you can decorate it add what ever furniture you want but I/m getting a man cave! sure enough we bought the house and I have my man cave!! then I got the idea that I wanted to restore my dads old Flash Pinball or he was just going to toss it so I said I was going to put it in my man cave. This time she was like hell no what if you don't get it working it's just going to sit there and collect does or be an eye sore. I said I don't give a F*ck if it just sits there I'm going to have a pinball machine in my Man cave.. Me being mischievous and rebellious as I am.. I now have a pinball machine inside my man cave! she was pissed because I just brought it home and did not want in the house at all but she finally understands I need my hobbies to keep me sane.. not to mention after a week of the pinball being at my house I got it working.. and let's just say that I'm not the only that's been playing the pinball!Moral of the story.. don't let your wives intimidate you hold onto to your balls and man up!

Awesome! I have an Aladdins Castle that needs some work. My buddy who loves pinball and who has helped me move just about every game I have. Well I offered to give it to him for all the help he's given me. His eyes lit up. "REALLY?" He says. Yeah, for all the help. Then like a kid that got his candy stolen had a sad look on his face. I asked him whats wrong. He looked at the floor and said his wife wouldn't let him have it in the house.

So sad. I almost feel bad for him....almost. He put himself in that position.

#166 7 years ago
Quoted from rottenrobert1313:

I almost feel bad for him...almost.

You know you're rotten, Robert?

#167 7 years ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

You know you're rotten, Robert?

Lol. Well that is the nickname my mom gave me when I was little.

#168 7 years ago

Slightly O/T, but related...does anyone here remember the guy who had to give up his Xenon because his wife was jealous of the girl on the backglass? Talk about keeping his nuts in her purse.......

#169 7 years ago
Quoted from kamenoi_ostrow:

Slightly O/T, but related...does anyone here remember the guy who had to give up his Xenon because his wife was jealous of the girl on the backglass? Talk about keeping his nuts in her purse.......

Wow, and not the naked robot on the playfield?!?

#170 7 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

Must've been the way the backglass was looking at him.

#171 7 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

I guess if there's no nipples, it's not naked.

My wife would tease the crap out me and make fun saying that's the only reason I bought the game. But she'd never make me get rid of it because of some artwork. LOL

-Steve

#172 7 years ago

I guess my wife and I fall under the category of...we can afford it, and I'll leave it at that.

Having said that, we are both frugal and are driving to an early retirement, which ties into my first sentence. We are on the same page financially and are about 45/55 on the salary split (she outearns me). We spend way below our means.

A NIB pinball is still a 7k purchase and takes up floor space. My wife has no interest in any items that cost anywhere close to that. If she did, I'd have no objections to her buying them on occasion but I would expect to be consulted first.

It's respect for your partner.

Pinball won't keep me company when we're old and grey and I know what my priorities are...your mileage may vary.

#173 7 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

Nope, it was the backglass...he claimed she said the robot was "too sexy". Seriously, What the hell is wrong with people? The men for putting up with this BS and the women for being so paranoid as to be threatened by a drawn image of another woman. Sheesh!

#174 7 years ago

Nope, it was the backglass...he claimed she said the robot was "too sexy". Seriously, What the hell is wrong with people? The men for putting up with this BS and the women for being so paranoid as to be threatened by a drawn image of another woman. Sheesh!

I concur.

#175 7 years ago

The wife card has been played with me by aspirant buyers about half a dozen times. Guys that are absolutely 100% positive that they want to and will buy a machine. Only to cancel the deal a few days later, because 'the wife doesn't agree with another machine'.

I don't like it at all. I find it weak when people don't stand for their agreements without any good arguments. If you're so sure you'll buy my machine, I am assuming you've spoken to your wife about it BEFORE you make the agreement with me.

#176 7 years ago
Quoted from Jappie:

The wife card has been played with me by aspirant buyers about half a dozen times. Guys that are absolutely 100% positive that they want to and will buy a machine. Only to cancel the deal a few days later, because 'the wife doesn't agree with another machine'.
I don't like it at all. I find it weak when people don't stand for their agreements without any good arguments. If you're so sure you'll buy my machine, I am assuming you've spoken to your wife about it BEFORE you make the agreement with me.

Valid point.

#177 7 years ago

There is a wonderful new vitamin called Grow-a-Set..........take some..........and grow some....

#178 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinball-is-great:

Dear Porkchop,
Please don't post any more pics of nut sacks with body piercings even if it is supposed to be a purse.
Makes me cringe every time I see it.

Lol. I was wondering if anyone would catch that.

#179 7 years ago
Quoted from investingdad:

I guess my wife and I fall under the category of...we can afford it, and I'll leave it at that.
Having said that, we are both frugal and are driving to an early retirement, which ties into my first sentence. We are on the same page financially and are about 45/55 on the salary split (she outearns me). We spend way below our means.
A NIB pinball is still a 7k purchase and takes up floor space. My wife has no interest in any items that cost anywhere close to that. If she did, I'd have no objections to her buying them on occasion but I would expect to be consulted first.
It's respect for your partner.
Pinball won't keep me company when we're old and grey and I know what my priorities are...your mileage may vary.

Waaaaay to reasonable and practical for this forum, Sir. You are condemned to a happy marriage and solid foundation for retirement!

#180 7 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Or you can do what I did:
Invite all your friends & have a kick ass party in Jamaica, Collect all the wedding gifts, get married by a guy dressed up like Jesus, and then come back to USA and not legally be married here

... and then realize that common law marriage is just as legally binding.

#181 7 years ago

Why do divorce lawyers charge $225.00/hr... Because they are worth it!

#182 7 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

... and then realize that common law marriage is just as legally binding.

Not in Michigan

#183 7 years ago

I wouldn't mind being married.......just not legally.

#184 7 years ago

insecurity is always a negative trait in any form.

#185 7 years ago

xenon_10_(resized).jpgxenon_10_(resized).jpg

#186 7 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

insecurity is always a negative trait in any form.

I am constantly worried that I will be insecure some day.

#187 7 years ago

I played the wife card once when I was buying a vacuum. I told the guy I had to call my wife and ask which one she wanted before I could buy it.

Just kidding....She told me which one she wanted before I bought it.

#188 7 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

I would be if I were you.

#189 7 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

Reminds me of a saying I like to use.....

It's bad luck to believe in superstitions.

#190 7 years ago

Or, just because you're paranoid does not mean they are not out to get you.

#191 7 years ago

My wife told me I can't visit this thread anymore... But my girlfriend said it was ok.

#192 7 years ago

I pretty much treat my wife as a business partner when it comes to finances. That being said, if I'm really interested in buying something, I have the finances worked out before hand. The only reason the "wife card" would ever come up would be an unexpected purchase.

I have actual business partners as well, and we definitely don't act unilaterally on material business expenses. If one of us went out spending a bunch of money without clearing it with the rest of us first we'd find out who's wearing the "pants" pretty quickly because the person spending the money without clearing it first would gets their pants sued off.

#193 7 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

As a never married person I wonder.

Too bad that first try at marriage didn't work out

#194 7 years ago

The "wife card" guys ruin it for the people that run into genuine fiscal ambushes.
After inquiring about a machine, no commitments were made, and then having to back out as soon as I got home because something happened when I was at work. I was accused, in a round about way, of playing the wife card.
I played it off but it still kinda bothers me a bit.
I never said why I had to back out, other than running into something when I got home.
Hey, shit happens, not everyone wants to post their personal troubles on a pinball forum.

#195 7 years ago

I had a guy claim the his axel on his trailer needed to be fix, under warrenty. Delays no show, next weekend still waiting. I suggested that the place that sold him the trailer loan him one while his was being fixed. After that I never got a reply.

#196 7 years ago
Quoted from bob_e:

I had a guy claim the his axel on his trailer needed to be fix, under warrenty. Delays no show, next weekend still waiting. I suggested that the place that sold him the trailer loan him one while his was being fixed. After that I never got a reply.

I imagine there are a lot of good stories regarding people walking out on sales and things they've used other than the wife card. Maybe it is time to start a new thread for that. I did a quick search and didn't find anything under "walking out on a sale" or "excuses". I'm sure its been discussed though.

There were a few times I'm sure people thought I was dicking them over where it was legitimate prior to me getting a vehicle that could move pins.

Of the pins I've sold, no interesting stories unfortunately.

#197 7 years ago

Got this card dealt to me ALOT over the years and it gets old. It got so bad there for a while that I was telling people up front to check with there wives, girlfriends, mothers, kids, grandkids, mother in law, there preacher, divorce lawyer..., or anyone else they needed to check with before even asking me for pictures of the game. It may have offended some people but it sure cut down on the tire kickers.

John P. Dayhuff
Battle Creek, Mi.
269-979-3836

#198 7 years ago

I've got the opposite problem, wife expects me to keep up this rate of buying and fixing up pins. Don't get mad at me if my broken, battered carcass shows up to pick up a pin with a weary, "My wife said we need this." Just give me a cold beer and a hug and help me get that thing in the car.

j/k guys, we love being pinheads pretty much equally. she just has more time to indulge, which is why she's always at pin league while i'm working overtime.

#199 7 years ago
Quoted from emkay:

I've got the opposite problem, wife expects me to keep up this rate of buying and fixing up pins. Don't get mad at me if my broken, battered carcass shows up to pick up a pin with a weary, "My wife said we need this." Just give me a cold beer and a hug and help me get that thing in the car.
j/k guys, we love being pinheads pretty much equally. she just has more time to indulge, which is why she's always at pin league while i'm working overtime.

Lol. I think I've created a monster. Ever since pinball at the zoo. My girlfriend wants me to find a WCS94 or a Demo man asap. She played them both and loves road trips. She was pushing me to drop everything and contact a seller in NY to go get one. I told her we can find closer ones and to be patient. Lol. We'll see how long that lasts.

#200 7 years ago
Quoted from emkay:

Quoted from rottenrobert1313:

Lol. I think I've created a monster. Ever since pinball at the zoo. My girlfriend wants me to find a WCS94 or a Demo man asap. She played them both and loves road trips. She was pushing me to drop everything and contact a seller in NY to go get one. I told her we can find closer ones and to be patient. Lol. We'll see how long that lasts.

LOL!! Hubby says welcome to his world!! He always tells folks that tell him how lucky he is that I like pins as much as he does if not more to be careful what they wish for!! Although I have calmed down some since the beginning!!

Phoebe

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
There are 206 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-wife-card/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.