2ofClubs-cute_(resized).jpg
Joker-card_(resized).jpg
ace_of_spades_(resized).png
wife_card_(resized).jpg
spock_(resized).png
credit-card_o_895652_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpeg
DogInPants2_(resized).jpg
There are 206 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.
#51 7 years ago

Can we all agree to having the term "man cave" erased from existence as well?

#52 7 years ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

Can we all agree to having the term "man cave" erased from existence as well?

Only if we can call a room in a house a "room" instead of a "space", as in, "Wow, what a great space"

#53 7 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Dude!...you have to meet the right woman. My wife is an incredible woman and this scenario would NEVER have happened with her. It's all in who you choose to walk the aisle with.

And probably more often in how you treat that person AFTER you walk the aisle.

#54 7 years ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

And probably more often in how you treat that person AFTER you walk the aisle.

#55 7 years ago
Quoted from ShaunoftheDead:

Here I thought Taxman was getting hitched......

Hey, save that talk for the basement. I might have to report abuse with that one. You think my IQ is so low I would risk losing half my machines?

#56 7 years ago

If any spouse let's their mate participate in this pinball hobby... they have to be pretty damn good to start with.

#57 7 years ago

I ask the wife if it is above a certain amount and expect the same from her. Though it is usually me who is the spender. She hasn't said no yet but I wouldn't buy a game if we didn't have the funds. So, I never had to use the wife card and don't expect to put myself in the situation where she would have to say no.

#58 7 years ago
Quoted from CubeSnake:

The wife card routine gets me angry-really angry-when a buyer tries to employ it I simply shut down and ALL negotiations are off. I cannot believe men can be:
A) Pussies for even using this tact. Seriously, do they have not enough backbone to make deals without involving their wives??!?
B) So disrespectful TO their wives that they make them out to be raging bitches??
C) If (B) is indeed true, that they cannot stand up to them and tell them to get their own hobbies & stay the f*ck out of theirs.
I've thrown guys out of my house for doing this. Quite a few times now that I think of it. the last time was just earlier this month when I was selling a small Honda motorcycle. The phone was ringing off the hook for this thing so I told the 1st guy who called to meet me. He INSISTED that we meet at a public place. I told him "No, we're meeting at my home, if you don't want this and are going to be playing games, please move on" So he gets up the 'courage' to actually show up at my house, he's nearly an hour late, and he with his wife (maybe for 'protection', lol). He nervously introduces himself and proceeds to look at the bike. He likes it, starts it and runs it a bit and makes me an offer for $50.00 less than I had it listed for. I accept it, as it was a fair offer and he said he had cash. He then goes over to "The Wife" and asks if they think they can swing it. She flatly says "NO!" He meekishly walks over to me and says, "We don't think this is a good idea right now". I'm like, "really??!? WE??" So after wasting time dealing with this milksop, I tell him good luck in finding another bike that wifey will approve of and, oh, by the way, when you go to buy it, make sure that you leave HER at home but be sure to take your balls with you that she's keeping in her purse. They both got in their SUV and drove off.
The sad & scary thing is this. THIS is America 2016 and these entitled assholes are typical. You may not like what I'm saying, but it's much more common now than it ever was.

NORM !
Vera is on the phone and she said for you to get off Pinside and get upstairs.

#59 7 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

It's all in who you choose to walk the aisle with.

Listen to this boob...he speaketh the TRUF!

Quoted from o-din:

When somebody blames their wife all I can think is who wears the pants in that family.

Don't worry Spicoli,
It's even better when she MAKES the pants.

#60 7 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Dude!...you have to meet the right woman. My wife is an incredible woman and this scenario would NEVER have happened with her. It's all in who you choose to walk the aisle with.

Finding the right woman is like finding a franchise quarterback...they are so hard to come by.

#61 7 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Finding the right woman is like finding a franchise quarterback...they are so hard to come by.

But they do exist

#62 7 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

Right!..maybe $100 in elbow grease is all. I started my parts order list and was working on some stuck leg levelers. I had the game in the garage for not more than an hour.

Yeesh. Seller's remorse. Luckily I haven't encountered that yet. Most people are more than happy to get the big paperweight of their house.

#63 7 years ago
Quoted from Jaybird815:

But they do exist

10 in a country of 300 million.

#64 7 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Should be 9 left. Start lookin'!

#65 7 years ago

Sorry Boob, if you subtract yours,...and then add mine back in,... it's 10.
But I'm no mathmatologist.

#66 7 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Nope, it's 10.

Nope. I took one. It's 9.

#67 7 years ago

Damn you lightnin fingers.

#68 7 years ago

LOL! I think you've been drinking tonight, Gryszzz. So you're saying your wife ISN'T one of the 10 good ones in the country? Because if you have one and I have one, then Trekkie has only 8 to choose from. If you say there's 10, that means our wives suck. I hope you've got it backwards...

#69 7 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

LOL! I think you've been drinking tonight, Gryszzz.

Who Dunnit linked.

#71 7 years ago

Some of You guys clearly have not seen the hot-crazy matrix, women can move from quadrant to quadrant any time. Hence the inevitable need to pull the wife card, even in best marriages

#72 7 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

I couldn't find one of the ten here. I went with a European import.

I knew I was golden when the Apron of Destiny allowed her to be the only female to ever autograph it.

#73 7 years ago

By some guys' definition around here I guess I'm a great big ol' fat fuckin' pussy then. It's not like I'm asking permission but I do feel like I should have enough respect for my wife to discuss and agree (or not) on a purchase as major as a pinball machine. If it's $500 or $5,000, it doesn't matter IMO. If you're one of those guys where a $5K (or more these days) purchase doesn't affect your household budget whatsoever then congratulations, you've won the life game. But I'm sure a vast majority of people in any expensive hobby are not in this situation.

What I don't get is, why would someone waste a sellers time and go look at a game and use this "wife card" thing. If you didn't like the game or it wasn't in the condition you thought it should be in for the price or couldn't agree on price, just say so and tell the guy, "Sorry, this game isn't for me". But don't bullshit him around. If you DO really have to discuss it with you're spouse, then you fucked up! You should have had that done already before even wasting the sellers time and you could have driven away with the game right then and there.

Any game I've ever bought, WE discussed it and decided that I would buy the game as long as it checked out condition wise. And you know what?... She's never told me "no". And yes, I used the word WE. Nothing wrong with the word WE, and if you do think that WE isn't the way it should be, you should have never gotten married in the first place.

And I personally don't buy all this "I buy what I want, when I want it, I don't need to ask anyone, I do what I want" macho-bullshit either. I work with a guy that has this kind of attitude about life in general and honestly, he's a sad, sorry ass, lonely, sack of shit that's constantly looking for attention and he thinks that's the only way to get it.

Discuss <changes into flame retardant suit>

-Steve

#74 7 years ago

when the wife card gets played here. It means I have a "hall" pass. Other than that, she doesn't have any cards.

#75 7 years ago
Quoted from VDrums2112:

If it's $500 or $5,000, it doesn't matter IMO. If you're one of those guys where a $5K (or more these days) purchase doesn't affect your household budget whatsoever then congratulations, you've won the life game.

I don't believe I've won the life game, but if I am not prepared for the value of the toy I purchased to be worth virtually nothing the next day, I wouldn't buy it. I just can't imagine spending money on something that could possibly cause financial distress for my family in any way, shape or form.

Outside of a new home, the only purchase we discuss is when it is time to purchase a new family car.

#76 7 years ago
Quoted from Kkuoppamaki:

Some of You guys clearly have not seen the hot-crazy matrix, women can move from quadrant to quadrant any time.

I love this video, didn't even need to watch it as I'm that familiar.

I'm fortunate to have a wife who says things like, "Hey, can we afford an EBD and an AC/DC or should we wait until after RZ shows up?" or "We better get our passports renewed, Pincade is coming up!" I just have to keep the OT coming so I can pay for it all.

That said, from my days buying and selling fast cars... if somebody says "wife" I'm fucking out. Don't waste my time if you're not a decision maker.

#77 7 years ago

Marriage is punishment for shoplifting in some countries

#78 7 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

I think it is kind of funny how everyone here (or mathematically close to everyone) knows what it means when someone says - "I thought I had a buyer lined up but he pulled the wife card". As a never married person I wonder. Is this common in other hobbies? Is this common in general for other things?
I can imagine someone saying "Bill was supposed to come to poker night, but he played the wife card instead". But is this a "known expression"?

Never heard it, but it sounds like something invented by the Bravo network. I'll stick with pussywhipped.

#79 7 years ago

I'm looking around for an X-Files so I can play the Ex-wife card.

#80 7 years ago

All my friends say I'm anti-marriage and anti-kids.

I disagree.

I'm just anti-anything that sucks.

#81 7 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

All my friends say I'm anti-marriage and anti-kids.
I disagree.
I'm just anti-anything that sucks.

Yet you root for the Jets.

#82 7 years ago

They do exist but in several versions. Sometimes you draw wife cards. Like the get out of jail free cards from the Fraternal Order of Police. My wife called a few weeks ago to ask about a puppy, and I told her that we don't need a second dog, and the one we have doesn't need a playmate. She responded with (no joke) - "too late". We have a puppy. I now have a "too late" card in my back pocket that I save for my my next pin purchase.

#83 7 years ago

Once I come to an agreed upon sale, I'm really not into backing out of deals. I like to be a man of my word. My wife, however, could care less about any of that because she doesn't like pinball. Why? I like it. That's how I gauge whether or not she'll like something. If I like it, she will not. If I hate it, she will love it. She has almost made one deal fall through by hiding the keys to her minivan. I told her that was fine that she was hiding them but I can just go waste the money and pick up a rental car and got them back. Once I got past five machines, she gave up on fighting it.

I play the "kids card" to the wife when buying machines. "The kids really want this game so I have to drive 4 hours each way to get it."

#84 7 years ago

Well usually ive heard the "Gotta get this by the "government" first" version LOL

#85 7 years ago
Quoted from VDrums2112:

....."Any game I've ever bought, WE discussed it and decided that I would buy the game as long as it checked out condition wise. And you know what?... She's never told me "no". And yes, I used the word WE. Nothing wrong with the word WE, and if you do think that WE isn't the way it should be, you should have never gotten married in the first place."

Yes.

#86 7 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

They do exist but in several versions. Sometimes you draw wife cards. Like the get out of jail free cards from the Fraternal Order of Police. My wife called a few weeks ago to ask about a puppy, and I told her that we don't need a second dog, and the one we have doesn't need a playmate. She responded with (no joke) - "too late". We have a puppy. I now have a "too late" card in my back pocket that I save for my my next pin purchase.

What she did to you was use the old - "It is easier to get forgiveness than permission" card.

#87 7 years ago

I just can't imagine having a big sit down with my wife to discuss the purchase of a pinball machine, a wristwatch or any of the other nonsense I buy.

If any of those things were going to put a serious dent in our finances, I would never consider buying them.

#88 7 years ago

If the money comes out of our joint savings account I run it by the wife. If it's out of my savings it's free game as long as I have the space. I still give the wife a heads up on any big purchase though and she does the same.

#89 7 years ago

Still, what about other hobbies? If someone collects and restores cars I'm sure they have garage areas, tools and a large investment they control and is a major part of the person's life. Some pinball people also do this as a business or side business. So I am sure in these cases the "Wife" is not involved.

If you collect comic books or stamps or something the buying and selling is not in you partner's face.

But pins are a strange breed. The money can be a couple of hundred to thousands and there is a visibility about the games as part of the living space. If a guy has a game room with a few pins the wife knows how many are there. Some household do care about a few hundred dollars and it could start an argument.

For some reason this hobby seems to have a lot of buyer remorse, tire kicking, excuses and yes I have gone to pick up a machine and hit sellers remorse. His excuse was "Monster Bash is my wife's favorite machine and got mad when I told her I was selling it". Yes, this was on the way to pick it up, cash in hand. This was over 10 years ago and a person with large collection like MB, MM, CC . . . so it was not a money thing and he knew the hobby quite well.

#90 7 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

But pins are a strange breed. The money can be a couple of hundred to thousands and there is a visibility about the games as part of the living space. If a guy has a game room with a few pins the wife knows how many are there. Some household do care about a few hundred dollars and it could start an argument.

Great post and so true. It is the in the face nature of pin collecting that almost mandates you let the wife know what's coming or going.

My wife (for example) hates roaches, she would not be happy to see a SST in the house just due to the playfield toy bugs. I have to respect that as it is her house too.

#91 7 years ago

It is also related to different perspectives. Some spouses (because it is not just males, some females could play the husband card) like pinball and some do not. Technically, I own all the games, but my wife likes Taxi. If I sold it, I have consequences. Therefore, I do not sell it unless my plan is to replace it with a title she likes. The ability to adjust and respect your partner is not just a pinball thing, it pertains to all facets of a marriage. The relationships that are too one sided....well, they simply don't last. That's happened for 3 out of 6 children in my wife's family.

#92 7 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

I'm looking around for an X-Files so I can play the Ex-wife card.

isn't looking for an Xfiles punishment enough?

#93 7 years ago

These threads always escalate to "marriage: good or evil?" I guess everyone needs a place to vent. I'm happily married and pinball isn't and issue for us.

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#94 7 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

It is also related to different perspectives. Some spouses (because it is not just males, some females could play the husband card) like pinball and some do not. Technically, I own all the games, but my wife likes Taxi. If I sold it, I have consequences. Therefore, I do not sell it unless my plan is to replace it with a title she likes. The ability to adjust and respect your partner is not just a pinball thing, it pertains to all facets of a marriage. The relationships that are too one sided....well, they simply don't last. That's happened for 3 out of 6 children in my wife's family.

If I found a woman that just listened to and did everything I said, I would be married in a heartbeat.

I would've been the perfect husband in the 1750's, but I do like indoor plumbing.

#95 7 years ago

Been in business since 1989, In my experience whenever someone says: "I have to check with my wife" that is the end of the transaction.

#96 7 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

If I found a woman that just listened to and did everything I said, I would be married in a heartbeat.

Where's the challenge in that?

#97 7 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

I would've been the perfect husband in the 1750's, but I do like indoor plumbing.

At least you get to date a lot.

#98 7 years ago

Yes, yes, pulled the wife card several times. My wife has only ever said no once. After that I just quit telling her what I was buying. Worked like a charm. Once I hit 50 pins she lost count.
Shamefully, pulled the wife card several times because I realized I just didn't want the game or knew it was over priced.
Had many people use it on games I was selling. Never thought it was a big deal since there's always someone else to buy it.

#99 7 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Dude!...you have to meet the right woman...

Hey! I thought YOU were the woman in your relationship?

#100 7 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Also, some wives feel that a husband's hobby that they are not involved in and have no interest in is bad for them.

I have a close friend who's wife is just like this. If they can't do it together, or she just doesn't like it in general, she won't allow him to do it. Such a shame, and he wonders why I find her to be unbearable.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Washington, NJ
$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
Sussex, WI
$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Yucaipa, CA
There are 206 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-wife-card/page/2?hl=rustylizard and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.