(Topic ID: 142990)

The Who's TOMMY Club - Can you hear me? Members Only!

By ChadH

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,268 posts
  • 189 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 16 days ago by Cloud7
  • Topic is favorited by 101 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240402_190633 (resized).jpg
IMG_0837 (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
208B62BB-BFC2-4887-BF1F-C1553C296DC4 (resized).jpeg
E39892B0-EAE6-405E-8081-1FCCBE1A62BC (resized).png
D7947C2E-4557-4064-80FD-F244F3C06761 (resized).jpeg
20230802_224904 (resized).jpg
20230802_224851 (resized).jpg
IMG_3423 (resized).jpeg
Screen Shot 2023-07-27 at 9.35.26 AM (resized).png
IMG_3415 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3413 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3410 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3411 (resized).jpeg
Screen Shot 2023-07-26 at 11.04.34 AM (resized).png
Screen Shot 2023-07-26 at 11.03.38 AM (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zahner.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#874 5 years ago

Just picked up my first Tommy. Great game, and I've always wanted one. This one has a nice playfield, and great action, cabinet needs a bit of TLC, otherwise a really nice starting point. The game is the air ball champ of the world - one even flew through the gap in the apron during multi-ball. Didn't see it, but I heard a thunk, like a ball landing in cabinet bottom, and low and behold - one actually did. Quickly had my suspicion confirmed that a ball found its way to bottom of the cabinet after it went into ball search mode. Funny.

Question - is returning the playfield to the down position from having it propped up on the "support bracket" as difficult for all of you as it was for me? Wrestled with it until a big thump and it went back in place. Seems like it wants to be lifted from back while moving the PF back in place. I've owned dozens of pins over the last few decades, but this one kind of threw me.

Also, any "just too cool to pass on" mods or otherwise that are unique to Tommy?

Looking forward to breaking this in and then on to a Pinball Magic maybe next year.

#877 5 years ago
Quoted from JDub03:

Welcome to the club! The playfield may have some warp from being propped over the years. I usually take the time to make sure mine is lined up straight before I lay it down completely. I just put mirror blades on mine, so I am even more cautious. As for the airball issue, put fresh foam behind the silverball and ramp targets. Major improvement.

On it as to the fresh foam. Thanks.
RE the blades, I ordered mirror blades yesterday. I think they'll be perfect.

#878 5 years ago
Quoted from Catch86:

I’ve had this happen too. Mine was because the blinder mechs were missing. Do you have blinders?

I do have the blinders, which are awesome, but I think the ball flew through the left hand side, which is pretty wide open. Maybe I'll install a target and switch in there and make that the super skill shot.

#880 5 years ago
Quoted from Ive:

Congrats on joining the Tommy club ! One of Data Easts finest.

Have you ever had a Data East / Sega / Stern machine ? - this *is* how they are. It's a horrible system - yes you can bump it over the supports but I hate crashing the playfield around like that so I push it in with my left hand, whilst lifting up the back at the bottom of the backboard with my right hand. You only need a slight lift to get it to slide far more gently over the 'bump'. Like I said ...it's a horrible design.

Absolutely upgrade the Code to Chad's 5.0 Revision - if it hasn't been done already. Huge improvements to score balance, bugs, extra lighting effects, extra dots, revamped modes, more blinder action ...it really lifts the game from very good ! to great !
http://www.pinballcode.com/tommy5
Upgrade the flat original propellers to superior 3D ones. These in the video are sold by Robert H, sometimes on Ebay, or contact him thru his website
http://www.pinwizman.com/

ColorDMD of course is always a good mod !
Tinkering wise - It is worth spending some time ensuring the spinners are spinning optimally. Especially the right hand one - it's a tight shot round there and any resistance from the spinner can stop a good orbit.

Thanks a million for the tips. The only DE I had previously owned was a Phantom of the Opera. It was a long time ago - actually the second pin I owned back in 97'. It may have been bad too, but it's been so long and I was so clueless I would not have noticed. I am glad to hear that I am not missing something.

The propellers look very cool, Thanks!

I'll check on the upgraded firmware tonight. Color DMD for sure.

Really liking this pin more than I thought. Just installed two Cliffy protectors last night - the mirror one is slated to go in tomorrow.

Thanks again...

#882 5 years ago
Quoted from HIPPY:

You gotta get the color dmd, it does wonders . Because of the size of the translight, you can only go with color led. It is still very nice.

Thanks for the size/type info - I was wondering about that. In 20+ years of collecting, I've never pulled the pin on buying a color DMD [I went with a B&W one I bought at a show in TZ which was pretty cool], and I was kind of getting a bit confused as I was pawing through the DMD site - this info helps.

#885 5 years ago

So now that I have my new Tommy, I decided it would be smart to get in over my head and get a pinsound board and speakers. I see the sound samples on the pinsound community, but my wife wants Sir Elton singing and I do not think the samples on the community use that song. Anyone know if there is a file with Elton John's version?

1 week later
#886 5 years ago

I have another question: is it unusual for the screws holding the propellers to be inhumanly tight? Do people use Loctite on them? Before I start applying heat, and/or gorilla force, I thought I would look for some feedback

#888 5 years ago
Quoted from Strohz:

Unfortunately I had the same issue when I replaced mine, they were on really tight!

Pliers and brute force with a screwdriver then?

#896 5 years ago
Quoted from Strohz:

Did you get them off???

Ha, I've chickened out for the moment. But thanks for asking. I thought it a much better investment of my time to blow up an enerGI board I bought. Managed to get that smoking real good- but fortunately no damage to anything other the enerGI board. Still trying to figure out what the heck I did on that one.
I have had lot's of luck with a pinsound board, a lot of repairs, new blinder servo and arm, adding LEDs and some custom lighting, so all in all a positive experience. Going to add my mirror blades last - after I work up the nerve to try removing the propeller screws tonight. I'm going to add a bit of heat to see if someone put on Loctite - these screws are ridiculously tight. If I think I'm getting to the point of breaking off the heads, I'm just gonna offer up the new propellers to someone else.

1 month later
#903 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Anyone bringing a Tommy to Allentown for sale? Where can you get the Union Jack decals for the body? Thanks.

If you (or anyone) discovers where to get the Union Jack decals, please let us know!

#907 4 years ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

is that the red white and blue ones?

Yes. The ones pictured in post #905. I’d love a set.

#908 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

British flag.
[quoted image]

So, where did both the decal set and alternate translite come from? Are they still available? Inquiring minds want to know

#913 4 years ago
Quoted from Ive:

That machine was restored by a friend of mine for a Who fanatic - that is it at his place a few years ago.
I think the translite was a one off custom made by someone. I'll ask him for the details on the cab decals - I believe they were designed by the customer and custom printed by someone.
Heres another pic I had, it wasn't quite complete at this point - posted on my Tommy Facebook page a few years ago https://www.facebook.com/The-Whos-Tommy-Pinball-Wizard-Pinball-Machine-Data-East-1994-147739828633855/
[quoted image]

Thanks so much for checking. I’ll be curious to hear about its origins. I did run across a company that said the can print custom decals, but just discovered it the other day, so don’t know a lot.

Thanks again

#923 4 years ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

stern siderails? any modifications needed to substitute these?

I have an NOS set of straight Stern rails that look like the stock Tommy rails [no flipper area protection]. The only difference for me is that they screw in at several points throughout the rail rather than just at both ends.
I was going to swap out my old rails, which are a bit battle-worn, for the new ones, but so far I have not felt comfortable yanking the stock ones off because they are adhered to the cabinet with tape or glue. Tried tapping in a putty knife, but these babies are welded on. So, something to check and contemplate as you think about switching.
Love to hear if others have seen this and how they overcame this obstacle without trashing the cabinet.

#927 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Didn’t someone recently post of picture of an alternate backglass that featured the band members in the art too?

Think you are thinking of:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tommy-alternate-backglass

Tommy (resized).jpgTommy (resized).jpg
#929 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Yeah - that’s the one I saw. I think it would look great on that Union Jack machine.

Indeed it would. I heard that the person selling this glass didn’t, so it might still be available.
I have not had luck reaching the guys who did the Union Jack decals. I’m going to reach out to a pinball vendor who advertises that the can make any decal set you can provide art for. If I figure that out, I’ll post on it

#933 4 years ago

If anyone is looking - CPR has Tommy plastics listed now [I just ordered mine]. Also, on ebay there is someone selling an NOS set for $308 [OBO] at:

ebay.com link: Tommy Pinball Machine Original NOS Complete Plastic Set Of 33 Items Data East

And I've emailed the folks at https://virtuapin.net/ to check on the viability of making the Union Jack cabinet decals.

Beginning to think I have too much spare time on my hands - which I do not ...

#936 4 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

I noticed the set comes with an extra plastic that goes above the VUK. If you or anyone else wants to sell this plastic, I will pay a hefty chunk of your plastic set cost for it!

Sorry, already spoken for by a buddy of mine. I will only have an extra one of pumpkin-yellow reproductions that’s been floating around.

#938 4 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

It's the kinda U-shaped piece that fits right about the VUK. It's busted on most games. Mine has been repaired with epoxy.

Well, if you have no takers on your offer to buy the second plastic from a CPR set, you can have my off-color one for free once the new set arrives. Honestly, it's not too noticeable - unless you notice it... and even then, it's okay. You are welcome to it and it's better than epoxy.

1 week later
#946 4 years ago
Quoted from mavantix:

The one that’s already over $200?

$255 with 5 days and 22 hours left and 25 bids. I can never understand why people get in a bidding war that far out. Baffles me.
And wow! I bet this goes well over $300. Guess I’m just going to stick with my giant silver Christmas ball for now and get a color DMD instead. I guess if you have the cash and want a stock and perfect game, you have to pay to play. Good luck to the bidders.

#950 4 years ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

Love the Color LED in this game. No modifications to speaker panel and it sits nice!

So nice - that’s next on my list.

#956 4 years ago
Quoted from Dallas_Pin:

No one has ever contacted me back ... I have tried 3 times.

I tried too. Nothing. I emailed and left a message with the company that touted the ability to do custom cabinet decals. Nothing. I plan on trying again this week.

Beginning to feel unloved....

3 weeks later
#979 4 years ago

Do you have the blades in the correct position relative to the throw of the servo? Otherwise, I’d check out the two adjustment screws/pots on the driver. Seems like they might be acting up.

1 week later
#984 4 years ago
Quoted from jewboyflowerhead:

Has anyone used Chad's tommy 5.0 roms with pinsound? Does the new code still work with Pinsound?

Totally works. I used Tommy OST and it works perfectly. It’s here: https://www.pinsound.org/pinballs/data-east-r3/the-whos-tommy-pinball-wizard/
I later modified it by swapping in different versions of a few songs, and it still was fine.

1 week later
#996 4 years ago
Quoted from HIPPY:

I just ordered a full plastics set for mine at CPR. Take a look at all the clear plastics you might be missing, like me. Lots of extra stuff, too. Pinbits has sets of plastics protectors for it, too. Check it out.

I just install both in my Tommy. Very nice. Had a minor issue and the CPR folks totally jumped on it. The protectors are a great addition - especially on the judge VUK plastic that gets slammed from the inside as well as the outside.

1 month later
#1007 4 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

Mine is not working with the code. Any suggestions. I hear the pin sound when powered up. So maybe ribbon cable?

Yeah, I had fits when I was first starting to use the pinsound board. Same exact issue. Lame (me) thing I discovered is that I was using too small a USB thumb drive. It just wouldn’t hold enough to load everything up. And it does take a long time the first time you do it, because it’s basically creating all the files.

A great resource was here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tantrums-guide-to-pinsound

As I got more comfortable with working with the files, it became apparent how to swap different songs and do things like that. My ultimate discovery was that everything I was having trouble with was easily solved - Nothing I had to resolve has anything to do with anything terribly technical. If you’re going to just run the sound package without trying to change anything, it should be very simple. Really make sure that you have a big enough drive first.

#1009 4 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

Game is awesome. I highly recommend pinsound Tommy alternate mix. The game is awesome with the proper music by The Who.
May buy a few more as I want one for Indiana Jones.

Glad it was simple. The Pinsound board is a great product indeed. Totally agree that Tommy is awesome.

#1012 4 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Still loving my Tommy. I have been playing with original ROM and I have the 5.0 ROM ready to install but I really want to get my feet wet with original code first. Can anyone tell me a brief explanation of differences with the new 5.0 v.s. original? Thanks

Wayyyy better. More use of blinders. Don’t wait. Do it now!

Look here:

http://www.pinballcode.com/tommy5

#1013 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Once I can finally track down a decent Tommy, I plan to do a Who orchestration with all their greatest hits. Already bought the Pinsound card, Flipper Fidelity speakers and color DMD for it, before I even have the game lol.

I like the way you think!

1 month later
#1021 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Where is the best place to buy the flipper button protectors for a Tommy? Thanks.

I bought a set of nice, but used Stern rails with that feature built in for $40 that look like new. I've not had luck getting the old crappy rails off, which appear to have put on with something beyond Gorilla Glue, but then again, it is one of my "to do" projects when I feel up to attacking the problem. However, I thought this was a good solution that avoided the add on look of the protectors. If you want the add on type, look here at Marco:

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/500-6238-03
or
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/502-6801-00

Depending if you want plastic peel and stick or metal.

#1025 4 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

You can install the metal lollipop rails without installing the screws on sides by using low abrasive double sticky tape instead or you can install the clear or black mylar version flipper button protectors...

https://www.pinballlife.com/pinguard-flipper-button-wear-protector-set.html

These are the rails ("lollypop") I was talking about. I got mine for $40 at a show - used but minty... They are $89 new at Marco.

rails (resized).jpgrails (resized).jpg
#1031 4 years ago
Quoted from MurphyPeoples:

Okay - I have been in contact with him too! He's quoted me $245 shipped to my house. I've asked "where to send the money" and if he takes PayPal. Funny that several of us are on the same wavelength. I bought his Alternate "GLASS" from a collector here in SC. I think it was 1 of 3 made.

Me too. I was just getting ready to start the “how do I purchase” dialogue with him.
I think the translite he is including with the decals is different than the one I think you have, which is mostly red, an actual glass and very cool. This looks to be the same as the production translite, but with different TOMMY lettering/accenting that is more Union Jack and goes with the decal scheme.
I did end up with a prototype translite, but it’s actually 2” shorter than the production version. Same width. Figuring out if and how I want to use it.
Decisions, decisions.
If there is a group purchase, please let us know.

AADE2F7E-EB2C-42DA-8A15-15D290396C3D (resized).jpegAADE2F7E-EB2C-42DA-8A15-15D290396C3D (resized).jpegC00A94BE-6285-4139-9787-9E9170A01471 (resized).jpegC00A94BE-6285-4139-9787-9E9170A01471 (resized).jpeg
#1037 4 years ago
Quoted from Number41:

This is interesting to me - I picked up a prototype translite on eBay a while back and it's the exact same size as the production one. Seems like parts of the top and bottom are cut off on yours.

Probably. Wouldn’t surprise me.

You have a picture of the entire thing?

#1048 4 years ago

Thanks. Oh well, another wall hanging. One of those good faith purchases. I’m going with the thought that the guy who sold it to me didn’t know. I have faith in my fellow man.

I’m gonna order the decal set with the alt translite.

Between that and the pinsound plus board, their new shaker, the ENERGI board for the LEDs, new plastics and my eventual purchase of a color DMD, I’m running out of things to buy - and we can’t have that.

1 week later
#1083 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Here is the sample video of the Pinsound orchestration I did with the Who original tracks. I suggest you watch the full video to get a feel for the songs added. Any suggestions, let me know. I highly recommend upgrading to a Pinsound card and upgraded speakers. Makes a world of difference.

Very well done.

Love the color DMD. LED?

#1085 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Thanks, yes colordmd LED. I go a little overboard with my machines.

Oh ... I can sympathize

I too tend to do the same. In fact, for Tommy, other than a color DMD (I’m leaning toward LED), the stencil set to repaint the cabinet (scary), and a Union Jack cup holder, I am out of things to add or upgrade.

Have you added LEDs w/ the EnerGI board or mirror blades? Two of my favorites for this game. The Pinsound upgrade is great.

I await my pinsound shaker.

It’s a sickness....

1 month later
#1132 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Anybody want this file for a possible translite, PM your email address and I will send you a Dropbox link. File is 48MB. Thanks.[quoted image]

So, and please excuse my ignorance, how does one go from a file to a translite? Are there firms or businesses one takes a file to and then they print out a translite?

#1141 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

They are competitive with others out there for most games, and kind of a pain to make. Even so, I understand they are not for everyone.
The target decals are printed on a photo quality printer using OEM inks and high quality ultra gloss OEM photo paper, coated with a clear gloss vinyl, and I use a thick clear adhesive backing for durability and to absorb the hits. I cut the rectangles by hand and punch the circles for a perfect shape. I have targets made this way on my Getaway for nearly 3 years now and the still look brand new (I’ve put well over 100 plays on them).

Just installed the "flipper toppers" and target decals. Excellent quality. Easy to install, and I did like the attention to detail with the flipper toppers having a hollowed out section to accommodate the "DE" logo on the flippers. Really nice and I'm very pleased.

#1144 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:Glad you like them. The hollowed out spot design came after I sold my first set to pinballjah without it, only to realize it was an issue (don't worry, I took care of him).

That's how to perfect a product. The divot worked flawlessly on the set you sent my way, so at least two down successfully. Once again, thanks for doing this.

1 week later
#1146 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Hot off the press![quoted image][quoted image]

Neat!

#1148 4 years ago
Quoted from TKDalumni:

Anyone have the Pinsound shaker installed and can comment on it?

I just put mine in two days ago. It is pretty cool, but I programmed it and need to dial it in. The “explosion” setting is very strong, and I used it a bit too much.

I had great luck with the effect whenever the plane roars by. Also, had success with glass shattering, the ramp noise and most everything else.

Ultimately, I’m really happy with it and want to spend more time fiddling with it. Super easy to change shaker effects and to assign to different sounds. Very easy to install.

#1150 4 years ago
Quoted from TKDalumni:

Ok that sounds positive. Is there a file already on it? How is it programmed?

The Pinsound site says there is a Tommy package, but I don't see how to get to it. I'd like to see that package to see how they put it together. My sound package is different than theirs ( exchanged a few songs) so I needed to do the shaker effects myself.

Just download the PinSound Studio, put your thumb drive in your computer, open the file in the studio and go to the sound effects. highlight and click on the shaker effect you want to add - save. Put it back in your game and you are rumbling away. The files have to be in the latest format and your firmware needs to be up to date.

I got it all working and I'm fundamentally a Luddite when it comes to anything too complex with computer stuff - In other words, if I can do it, anyone can.

#1151 4 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

The Pinsound site says there is a Tommy package, but I don't see how to get to it. I'd like to see that package to see how they put it together. My sound package is different than theirs ( exchanged a few songs) so I needed to do the shaker effects myself.
Just download the PinSound Studio, put your thumb drive in your computer, open the file in the studio and go to the sound effects. highlight and click on the shaker effect you want to add - save. Put it back in your game and you are rumbling away. The files have to be in the latest format and your firmware needs to be up to date.
I got it all working and I'm fundamentally a Luddite when it comes to anything too complex with computer stuff - In other words, if I can do it, anyone can.

when I say "thumb drive" I mean the one from your Pinsound board with your current sound package

#1155 4 years ago

Finished my installation of the PinWoofer set up for my Tommy the other day. The sound is very much improved and does the game justice. I have a pinsound plus board, but was kind of “eh...” with the sound. It was good, just not great in my opinion. I love the versatility of the pinsound product, and I also installed their shaker (which is pretty cool). Thought I’d try PinWoofer set up and I’m really happy with the results. The installation was ultimately pretty straight forward. The best thing of all was the outstanding service from Dan Dean. Since I had the pinsound board, I needed a separate power supply, which was pretty cheap (see it below the sub in the photo). The power supply required a certain draw to work, so I added a string of LEDs, which I incorporated into the back box speakers. I ran the power supply off a 110v switched lead that was already installed in my game that came off the game’s power switch, so that was easy. Just had to add a ground. Dan was super helpful with the installation and would regularly check up on my progress and made sure I didn’t blow anything up or electrocute myself - thanks Dan.
Great product and great service. Very happy with the purchase.

280AE269-37F6-41E8-8BBA-8406D5AC4D02 (resized).jpeg280AE269-37F6-41E8-8BBA-8406D5AC4D02 (resized).jpeg70C32622-7104-47D5-ACF9-84C47613A91A (resized).jpeg70C32622-7104-47D5-ACF9-84C47613A91A (resized).jpeg9C491D4E-0E5A-443F-B530-9D3DC0D7F515 (resized).jpeg9C491D4E-0E5A-443F-B530-9D3DC0D7F515 (resized).jpeg
3 weeks later
#1162 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

The new translite came out amazing. Pretty good for a total cost of $44. Guy who made the original doesn’t want me to share the file anymore. Easy enough to have made with a local printer.
Much improvement over the original. With Pinsound and original Who music, totally different game.
Now just need to figure out the best color bulbs to make it pop.
[quoted image]

I think it looks awesome and pops pretty great as is. Almost seems a shame to mess with the colors by adding colored bulbs - in my humble opinion....

#1165 4 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I just installed a PinSound+ board in my game yesterday. I've owned Tommy for years, but now it feels like a completely new game. The Broadway stuff never really bothered me, but having high quality, full length WHO versions is awesome! I plan on swapping out / tweaking a few of the songs.

I did just that and ended up with a great soundtrack now (one that my wife loves too since I added Elton John for her, and that transcends any of my passing musical preferences). I added a PinWoofer amp upgrade and my brother-in-law says my Tommy now sounds as good as his home entertainment system.

#1167 4 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Nice! I already have upgraded speakers in my game, but I plan on connecting an external sub today. I also have a headphone station that I'm going to install which came free with the PinSound+ board. It will be handy to be able to adjust the volume and switch sound mixes without having to open the coin door.

Yeah, that’s a good addition. I use it for volume (duh) and also find it handy at midnight when I’m playing. If you plan on using headphones, don’t go cheap. My $35 eBay Grado headphones have been perfect!

1 month later
#1190 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

For those interested in the different Pinsound orchestrations I have created with original The Who music, here are clips from the two different versions.
Tommy_Pinballjah_V2
This is based on JULIEN42's orchestration that updated all of the original musical music with music from the Who's Tommy. I have further updated this orchestration with original Who music, with the exception of the missions, which are from the Who's Tommy album.

The Who Greatest_Pinballjah
All of the original music has been replaced with hits from the Who. All missions are various Who songs, all songs from the Tommy album have mostly been replaced. Most music folders include numerous Who songs that will play on a random basis. For example, at the start of each ball, a random Who song will play. Each missions was replaced with a single Who song.

Nice Job! Great selection of songs. I did a modified JULIEN42 and added some other songs form the movie soundtrack, the Who's original rock opera and a different version of the play. After listening to your playlist, it might be time for some changes.

1 week later
#1210 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

For anyone that has installed the v5.0 ROM chips in their Tommy, can someone post some photos of their placement. Thanks for the help! If I have a colordmd, does the dmd rom still function ok?

The LED color DMD will will work with 5.0

#1215 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Thanks, anyway to know which end is which?

One end should have a divot. hard to see in the photo.

1 week later
#1228 4 years ago
Quoted from monkfe:

So Just bought a Tommy and want to get ready to install a new Pinsound system. Is the main sub 8in? 5.25 for the backbox speakers? Any issue with the height of the sub as my old High Speed had a clearance issue where the playfield would hit the top of the sub when the playfield was up after I installed the larger speaker.

I installed a Pinsound board with a PinWoofer sub and no problems with clearance. I started with the pinsound and flipper fidelity sub which also fit fine. Both were 8” subs.

#1230 4 years ago
Quoted from monkfe:

Thanks and I believe the back box speakers are 4in after all....

I think so, and equally a good fit.

2 weeks later
#1233 4 years ago
Quoted from Kratogen:

Time to do a full LED job on my TOMMY. For the Union Jack red inserts, have you found that red bulbs look the best, or do white bulbs? Not sure which to use since the majority of the insert is red, but the letters are white. Thoughts?

I went with Comet sunlight white throughout. They are excellent and do not washout any of the color inserts. I added some spotlights and color accent lights under the ramps.
You should also get an EnerGI board otherwise the flashing is way too intense.
Happy to share some more detail and better photos. These downloaded at a low resolution and look crappy. Couldn’t delete them. If any colors look washed out, it’s the photos. Insert colors are quite rich. Also PF is much brighter in person - once again, crap photos.

7AFE0378-E21D-4C1B-B42B-833657023479 (resized).jpeg7AFE0378-E21D-4C1B-B42B-833657023479 (resized).jpeg6E95C010-81C0-487D-BC17-FD5B07500A5A (resized).jpeg6E95C010-81C0-487D-BC17-FD5B07500A5A (resized).jpegBBE8004F-E79A-4C9A-B3DA-DA73F535AB45 (resized).jpegBBE8004F-E79A-4C9A-B3DA-DA73F535AB45 (resized).jpegB465144C-7416-4C2D-8556-DE5C090D7ED2 (resized).jpegB465144C-7416-4C2D-8556-DE5C090D7ED2 (resized).jpegC3F5C777-3F29-443F-B5D8-1F93E6D631CA (resized).jpegC3F5C777-3F29-443F-B5D8-1F93E6D631CA (resized).jpeg
#1237 4 years ago

I did go with with the Mr. Tantrum stickers and flipper covers. Really like the effect

As far as the EnerGI, people do sell them used and I think there is another board type available - although I cannot recall what it’s called.

1 week later
#1241 4 years ago
Quoted from monkfe:

Installed my pinsound today ...question
..how do you toggle between sound versions...on my William's games I use the plus and minus buttons...but how to do with a data east game with no volume buttons?

I never could get that to work. Curious to see what people offer.

#1247 4 years ago
Quoted from Astill:

one more thing , my super vuk wire form has , at the end , only two extended tines , both at the top , what do the other ones look like? it seems there are a couple different?the reason i ask is when the super vuk works , it some times puts the ball in the launch lane.

Should have three wires extending beyond the full enclosure. Sort of two on top and one on the right side. Mostly though the ball just drops to the lower ramp once it leaves the full enclosure. The right side wires that extend beyond the full enclosure really only come into play on my game when a ball jets up and those wires keep the ball from over shooting the lower ramp. Make sense??? If the top ramp is aligned correctly, it should never plop into out lane, and definitely not into the launch lane. Absent using a hammer and vice, I couldn’t even adjust my wire form to accomplish that. Can you post a picture. Something sounds weird.

1 month later
#1261 4 years ago
Quoted from monkfe:

Anyone install the shaker motor by Pinsound? Curious as to how its different than the stock Data East one...I see it has various level adjustment and that it can be activated at any point in the game. I don't have a shaker motor in my Tommy so nothing to compare it to...(plus I still haven't got it to boot).

I did. I like it. I have to adjust some of the explosion effects (I went a bit overboard). Very easy to adjust and I’m fundamentally a Luddite when it comes to computer programming type things. Very cool.

1 week later
#1267 3 years ago
Quoted from Astill:

i can supply these. I am running them in my Tommy. I am rompingirl on ebay but direct is better.

I was trying to dig up who did mine, and this popped up and reminded me. Rompingirl did mine. Fast delivery, reasonable cost, worked perfectly.

#1270 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Meant to do this awhile back, but I just posted my 3D printed Tommy flipper toppers in the Market: https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/95182[quoted image][quoted image]

I installed these and they are top notch. Everyone who plays the games notes and comments on how well they compliment the game. Excellent mod.

3 weeks later
#1292 3 years ago
Quoted from JDub03:

So I can't tell if it's my imagination or real. But I feel like my backbox is flashing like crazy lately, the entire box, not just the flashers (which I removed because it was too intense). Is it possible something is going on with a board? I added a pinsound + board to it this week and I feel like it's even worse now. Maybe I am going crazy and it's in my head? I hear the relay clicking like crazy though. Do they go bad?

Did you install LEDs? I did, and at first I thought I was going to go blind or have a seizure or both. I installed Comet "sunlight" bulbs, which are between the really harsh "natural" and the yellow "warm" lights. So, I was surprised at the whole blinding, flashing bit. I installed an EnerGI Maestro - LED GI Smoother, which when dialed in, reduced the impact of the flashing madness to a very nice level and totally solved the problem. Basically, rather than going from 100% off to 100% on with your LEDs, you go a game that fades from off to on.

look here: https://sites.google.com/site/energimaestro/

They may not be available right now, but I believe others are, and the fellow manufacturing these seems to offer up more boards now and again if not available now.

#1294 3 years ago
Quoted from Ive:

Welcome to Data East world ....where no flashing is too much, and no music is too insane

Well, EnerGI Maestro aside, there is a lot of truth in Ive’s statement

2 months later
#1310 3 years ago

I just installed a Color DMD into my Tommy. Love it. I went with LED and it looks fantastic. I've seen the game fitted with an LCD, and it looks great too. They have a different feel to them, so it really is just personal taste in my humble opinion. I don't see that one is better than the other. I happen to like the LED.

I must say though that the provided instructions are needlessly vague and incomplete. Unfortunately, step 9 (hooking up power and the ribbons) is missing, so I went on line to confirm my best guesses. Warning - it is kind of easy to install the 5v plug backward if you are not careful. I had it on backward. I had not fired it up yet, but I came close. Ended up working like a charm and I'm up and running. There is ample support among hobbyist. If you are installing one, I suggest reviewing a video or two, at least for a Data East install. Remember to check your 5v plug alignment and that with the ribbon cables, the red line is toward the #1 pin side. Have fun.

#1314 3 years ago
Quoted from monkfe:

I didn't see an option for the LCD from Colordmd...was this something they once offered?...I was told the size of the DMD was the issue with the LCD and that's why only the LED is now offered for the Tommy.

People apparently modify (cut) the top ridge of the speaker panel. That way the larger LCD can be fitted to the game. With this modification, the housing of the LCD protrudes an inch or so behind the translite. I saw an LCD Tommy at a show and it looks pretty good. I just happen to like The LED.

2 weeks later
#1316 3 years ago
Quoted from Gohigh54:

I have the LED and I can not agree more that it is fantastic. I also installed the full pinballbulbs led kit. The results are fantastic. It makes the play field much more modern. The only thing is that I had to disable all of the flashing which I do not miss at all.

I installed an EnerGI board which took care of the LED flashing issue. It makes the pulsing of the LEDs like incandescent. Totally a must if you go LED otherwise the flashing is really too much to deal with. Not sure if the board is still in production, but I’ve seen it available on occasion used and I think there might be other boards that do the same.
Check out this thread:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/led-gi-smoother-for-data-east/page/9#post-5678834
Check out the creator’s site:
https://sites.google.com/site/energimaestro/home

3 weeks later
#1332 3 years ago
Quoted from SunWizard:

I'm a proud new Tommy owner. This is my first pinball machine, after playing in arcades for >45 years. This is my favorite of all I have played, so I couldn't resist when this local Tommy showed up for sale. I saw The Who Live in 1980 and cannot forget that show, and it sure helps to like the music as well as the way the game plays. Its a 1 owner machine, in decent shape with everything working, but not maintained with like 20 bulbs burned out. Thanks to the detailed and helpful posts on here, I have already tuned the pop bumpers to work much better. I also got a flipper kit, new rubber, and full LEDs on order. For this tune up, is it worth making a rotisserie as I have read here?

Ditto the “no” on the rotisserie.
Tommy is a great game. I added a pinsound board and PinWoofer speakers and amps (overkill? I think not!) and I love it. Also added the pinsound shaker and a color DMD. Another nice touch was the Union Jack flipper covers and upgraded propellers. Such a cool game.

#1342 3 years ago
Quoted from ToucanF16:

I just joined the club. Bought a Tommy from another Pinsider and a PF from tomdk The playfield has been sent to Ronald Kruzman for clearing. It will all be restored.
I’m thinking of Pinsound with the Pinwoofer kit. Has anyone done that combination?

I did and it is great. I liked the pinsound set up alone, but it just didn’t have the oomph I was looking for. Given Tommy is a rock ‘n’ roll pin, I went for the pinwoofer addition and I’m very happy I did. I had to work with the owner of pin woofer to get it all right, but it was really pretty easy in the end and he was amazingly helpful. I also added the pinsound shaker. Very nice addition.

#1346 3 years ago
Quoted from HIPPY:

I went with the Pinsound & the 3 speaker kit for it. The sub is quite good, & also the Tommy album download, it is free. You will love it.

There is wisdom is trying it first without the PinWoofer, but you should find someone who did add it to see if the difference is worth it for you. I found the difference quite profound. Pinsound has at least two [maybe more - it's been a while] excellent downloads. I modified the popular one and changed out a few songs for my own mix. Once you figure out how to do it, it's not that hard. Mr. Tantrum has a pinsound topic that goes into how to modify that's very complete. However, I must say that the download from Pinside is really outstanding. No matter if you modify or not or add a pinwoffers or not, you will love the Pinsound addition. It's absolutely a great mod for a Tommy. Don't forget that Pinside also has a shaker motor that triggers various vibration patterns based on sound effects. Super easy to program and very flexible.

2 weeks later
#1355 3 years ago
Quoted from Milltown:

Picking one up this week... Im in..

Welcome aboard. Awesome game with many worthy opportunities for you to spend copious money on some really great upgrades. Great game to boot! Nothing beats those flipper blinders....

#1359 3 years ago
Quoted from wackenhut:

How can you tell if your Tommy Pinball Silver topper is legit or some sort of a replacement? Just curious.

The real one has a base that fits the big hole on the top of the head. Looks more like a big round silver lightbulb. The homemade ones, like mine, are usually spheres made of plastic (mine was a jumbo outdoor Christmas ornament) or metal (a glazing ball). The replacement ones are then attached in a variety of ways that usually involve a metal plate or rod that is screwed into the bottom of the fake one.
If you’re asking about a reproduction done to the specifications of the original, I am not aware that such a beast exists. If it did, I couldn’t tell you how to tell the difference. But also, if it did exist, I’d love to hear about it.

#1367 3 years ago
Quoted from bsrhardy:

Hey guys, looking at a potential Tommy. Did they all originally come with the blinders? If so and they are missing, what is the drama with getting repros and adding them back in. Thanks in advance, I need the Silver Ball!!!

The game always had blinders as far as I know and they are a must. Once you upgrade the software to v5.0 (think that’s the version designation), they are used a bit more. Several folks make a reproduction. Here is a blinder set up on Pinside:
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1203-thedudemods/02682-tommy-blinder-assembly-repro

#1382 3 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Check your GI connectors. Probably burnt pins and connector housing.

Agreed. Absolutely should not be dark. Mine almost looks like it has Pin-Stadiums. I did add a couple of spots on the slings just to give it a tad more, but it really should be a fairly bright PF.

1 week later
#1411 3 years ago
Quoted from JDub03:

The NEO just came out, so I have no experience on it yet. I have the plus (bought it a few months ago) added new speakers and a cabinet sub. You will want the power booster pack, it's a breeze to setup. Few items of feedback for you:
I installed the board in a matter of minutes, the directions are VERY simple.
I kept the stock speakers in to hear the difference, then added a different sound theme after to compare. The pinsound board did a good job at making the stock speakers better on the stock sound. Once I added a new mix, playing actual Who music, the speakers were inferior so I put in the new speakers. And I have to say WOW, what a difference. I don't have a powered sub on mine as I rarely get to crank it that loud. But I did add the headphone jack for late night play. I have this setup on a couple of my pins.

I had a similar experience. The only thing I did that was different was adding Pinwoofer speakers and amps. I felt that added a much richer sound. I also opted for the Pinsound shaker - kind of a compliment to the sound.

I used the OST by Julian42 sound package (on Pinsound’s site) and modified that a bit.

Happy with it all. Pinsound is a great upgrade for Tommy.

#1434 3 years ago
Quoted from lhammer610:

I restored a Tommy from non-working with 7 blown fuses. It appears that it got a bit wet. I still have to replace the bottom board of the cabinet, but other than that, it is working great.
There are a few issues that I am not happy about. If anyone can give me pointers, I would appreciate it.
* The shot to the VUK is tough. Just getting through the posts is hard and much of the time it bounces out. I installed a Cliffy protector. Am thinking of taking that out and widening the hole just a tad and putting on thinner rubber on the posts.
* Shooting into the scoop on the left is darned near impossible. A normal shot off the right flipper goes up the left loop. I have to let the ball fall off the edge of the flipper to have a chance. Getting the left or right targets is a challenge. I know that the scoop had been bent. It seemed to push the plastic way up. I lowered it a little and twisted it a bit to keep the shot out of the VUK from draining.
* And getting up the right ramp from the upper left flipper is extremely tough.
Comments, suggestions? Adjust the flippers down a bit?[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I dropped my flippers a couple of mm and it made the scoop shot, the targets, holiday trapped ball and the loop much more accessible. The scoop is still the hardest, but now way better. It didn't take much of an adjustment to make a big difference.

I find that the right ramp is a shot that I can consistently make by hitting the ball at the very tip of the flipper. More the angle than the strength of the shot. That's at least the way it works on my game.

#1436 3 years ago
Quoted from Milltown:

Installed a 8 inch gazing ball. Perfecto..
[quoted image]

I bought a gazing ball for my Tommy. Never made it to the game...

E183E9F3-AB02-49FC-91C1-4A8FF49D3D12 (resized).jpegE183E9F3-AB02-49FC-91C1-4A8FF49D3D12 (resized).jpeg
#1445 3 years ago
Quoted from ToucanF16:

Get a PinWoofer setup to go with it. I did.

Me too - it made a big difference.

#1449 3 years ago
Quoted from Sandman454:

Hi all. I have had my Tommy for a bit over 5 years now and still love it.
I have tinkered and added bits over the years and think I have got it to where I want it for now. But want to add colour DMD. Has anyone got led v lcd on Tommy machine please.
See YouTube link of video of Tommy.
I have added plane lighting and blinking less to explosions in back area, lighting to rear of playfield and pop bumpers. Also to launch lane and trough areas.
Blue lighting to scoops and also Holiday area and blue captive ball. Different coloured less to Main Union Jack to tie in with other inserts for modes.
Possibly a few other bits and pieces.
Hope you like.
Hopefully Next up colour DMD and Pinsound. But shipping and dollar exchange rate is a killer at the moment to Australia.

Apparently one can cut away a portion of the speaker panel to accommodate an LCD display. It casts a slight shadow at the base of the translite. I’ve seen the LCD installed in a Tommy and I have an LED color DMD in mine and I think the LED is perfect. Very bright and vibrant colors. Easy fit and install (although the instructions are oddly missing a step or two). Just seemed the way to go for me and I couldn’t be happier.

#1464 3 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

I have a colordmd lcd in my Tommy. I bought it from them before the led was even available. Install was more involved but it looks great. If I was gonna do it today I would probably just go with led for ease of install.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

For comparison - my LED

00E77C84-1B9A-45AB-8FBB-CDB1A8770B69 (resized).jpeg00E77C84-1B9A-45AB-8FBB-CDB1A8770B69 (resized).jpeg
#1468 3 years ago
Quoted from Sandman454:

Thanks.
I do like the smoothness of the LCD. Looks great. But for war of install I will also probably stick with the LED

I bet you’re happy with the LED. Really bright and colorful with great contrast. Very much picks up on the vibe from the original DMD.

#1496 3 years ago
Quoted from lhammer610:

Aw crap, no luck. Reformatted to MS-DOS which should be ExFAT. I downloaded and put the firmware file in the USB drive. There was no conformation that the card did anything. So I downloaded and unzipped the Tommy sound files, booted and all I got was:
"There are no sound files on the USB drive."
Am dead in the water and do not know what to do next.

I had this issue and it was the size of the thumb drive. Too small. Got a bigger one, reformatted it to FAT, and then easy....

#1522 3 years ago
Quoted from lhammer610:

The speaker grills with the Union Jack on them are crucial to the look of the game. But after upgrading my speakers, along with the PinSound card, I am a bit disappointed in the high end. Those metal grills are fine for the original terrible speakers with no high end. But I would like to replace them with something more sonically transparent.
Has anyone developed an aftermarket Tommy improved speaker grill? Or even a new DMD / speaker holder, better than the original plastic, that might allow something bigger than 4" speakers?

I have a pinsound board and pinwoofer speakers and amps. Sounds awesome with no distortion on the high end. Had to dial it in, but adding the pinwoofer really changed things up and I retained the original grills. Just email pinwoofer and they will go over everything with you. Super nice and helped me through the entire install since I was glomming onto the pinsound board.

#1532 3 years ago
Quoted from bsrhardy:

We are working through Some issues with our Tommy. We looked at the manual but can’t seem to find where this bundle of wires goes. If anyone has a chance can they take a look and see what they are hooked up to. They are right in the front of the cabinet.
[quoted image]

Mine has never been plugged into anything.

BA34489B-1763-43DA-8E67-1B2F6EBEC566 (resized).jpegBA34489B-1763-43DA-8E67-1B2F6EBEC566 (resized).jpeg
#1543 3 years ago
Quoted from Milltown:

Ok I installed pinsound plus ..
I then decided to have ks arcade load a flash drive from him with all 5 who soundtracks avail ... And purchased the headphones station to change soundtracks on the fly... Man I've done everything I can and can not get the tracks to switch.ir seems to,only play the whos tommy no other soundtracks ? Ive double tapped a million times and no luck.. I disconnected what i was suppose to when installing the station...
Am I missing something ?
Very odd...

Have you looked through this thread?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tantrums-guide-to-pinsound

1 week later
#1582 3 years ago
Quoted from RojerLockless:

Hey Tommy fans! I've wanted this pinball machine since it first came out and I was a little kid in the 90's I found one in a local place near my house and played it every chance I got. I never forgot about it and anytime I saw a pinball arcade as an adult I always looked for Tommy as quick as I could. It's just such a fun box to play and with the easy multiballs and the awesome soundtrack I couldn't keep away.
I finally found a 2 owner Machine and it's happily in my house. The original owner worked at the plant in Chicago so I'm told and only sold it about 4 years ago. Now it's mine
[quoted image]

Very cool story. I have no childhood memories of Tommy because I was almost 40 when it came out, but man it’s a great game and yours looks great. Make sure it has the v.5 software upgrade chip - it makes a really excellent game even better. Have fun!

#1588 3 years ago

I was wondering what these decals are called and where I could find them. I don't need these flag ones but I'd like to look at some Tommy Related ones and I can't seem to find ANYWHERE that sells just those. Mine sides are black and showing some ware and I'd like to protect them and make it look a little bit nicer.
[quoted image]

They are called blades. A few vendors offer them. Some are here:

https://www.retrorefurbs.com/shop/whos-tommy-pinball-sideblades/

Or here:

https://modfatherpinball.com/products/the-who-tommy-pinball-gameblades

Or here:

https://mezelmods.com/collections/tommy-pinball-mods/products/tommy-pinball-gameblades?variant=32589126926433

I went with mirror blades which are here:

https://www.pinballdecals.com/MirrorBladesPage.html

#1589 3 years ago

It's completely stock as it was "so I've been told" owned by someone who worked at Data East for about 20 years, and then was passed to the 2nd owner and now to me. I've slowly collected some info about mods but haven't found any "how to" install videos or instructions yet or which ones are really worth it. Any advice or links would be appreciated

For me, on the low end, I liked the Union Jack flipper covers and target stickers (see pictures)

I upgraded the sound with a combo of a Pinsound board with custom (better) music selections and upgraded the speakers with a pinwoofer setup. At:

https://pinwoofer.com/

https://www.pinsound.org/

And if you really go nuts (like I did), you can add the color DMD (dot matrix display), at:

https://shop.colordmd.com/led-replacement-display-for-the-whos-tommy-pinball-wizard-pinball-machine/

246E8C01-1A72-43B4-8519-300823911747 (resized).jpeg246E8C01-1A72-43B4-8519-300823911747 (resized).jpeg6CCA8A33-B0FF-4A60-BD59-BDBEA4F976E9 (resized).jpeg6CCA8A33-B0FF-4A60-BD59-BDBEA4F976E9 (resized).jpeg
#1590 3 years ago

I guess I don't know the words. the metal plates protecting the holes the balls run into. mine has a tiny bit of damage I'd like to protect.

CLIFFY protectors. Worthwhile, but more work to install than meets the eye. Definitely doable, but make sure if you get a set, really follow the instructions - especially with the scoop.

#1593 3 years ago

That's exactly what I was looking for and man. I don't blame you those mirrors look amazing. Now I have to decide which one!

Well, no matter what you pick, it will be cool, but I thought the mirror blades looked great and fit the motif of the game given the mirror shot and mirror references. Perhaps an all too geeky overthink, but hey - it’s pinball....

#1595 3 years ago

Now I gotta figure out how to "update the game" and maybe do the sound mods. hehe. how hard is updating the game? How expensive?

Cheap. But you do have to swap out a chip (or 2? - can’t remember) on the MPU. Easy if you’ve done it, nerve wracking if you have not. Search this thread for a link to the person who sells them. If I see it, I’ll send you the info.

#1606 3 years ago
Quoted from Milltown:

Side blades .., tommys playfeild rides very close to the sides and very easy to damage the blades... Trust me I gouged mine asap..haha ..found some who,decals that I,will add once im finished ..,then some sort of poster board will be used when raising the pf ..

Try these. I use the one set on all my games when working on them.

https://www.pinballlife.com/interior-cabinet-protector-blade-set.html

#1621 3 years ago

damn... Items total $ 369.95
Domestic shipping $ 39.95
out of principal... screw 40 dollar shipping on a 400 dollar pinsound wtf lol.

If you are not in a rush, keep an eye out for a used one. I picked up a like new Pinsound+, with all cables and still with a box for $250 shipped with speakers.

#1638 3 years ago

I think I might have to do some LED's they look so good.

I went with Comet “sunlight white” (not too white, not too yellow) for everything and added an EnerGI board to smooth things out. Looks great in my humble opinion.

#1647 3 years ago

Are the LED's as easy as replacing the bulbs plug and play? Or do they need to be rewired etc.

Nope. Just like regular bulbs. To get to the GI bulbs on the top of the playfield you will have to remove a bunch of the plastics, and maybe a ramp ( can’t remember). If you do that, it’s a good time to do a deep playfield clean and wax. It’s a bunch of work installing all new bulbs and it really adds up in cost fast. I recommend looking for something like the EnerGI board or you might find the flashing LEDs are likely to induce a seizure. Absent such a board, LEDs are either on or off. Incandescent bulbs fade on and off, albeit quickly. The EnerGi board steps the LEDs up and down (you set the speed of the effect), thus mimicking the fade of incandescent. I think there are other boards that do the same thing since EnerGI boards are hard to get. Just something to consider.

#1663 3 years ago

I've got another newbie question!
So the side skirts that go inside the box... how on earth.... I have maybe 1mm of clearance.. MAYBE 2? I don't see how you couldn't scratch a vinyl or Mirror there.. is my box somehow different?
Am I missing something?
I want to put something in there but.. man, lol I'm SURE I'd scratch it instantly.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

It’s tight. That’s why I use the protectors.

#1665 3 years ago

Frosted or clear bulbs? and which did you use 2SMD or 1SMD Non-Ghosting Bulbs? Think I might start by just replacing 25 and see what happens.

I was too lazy to write it out. I’ve attached a photo of what I ordered from Comet Pinball

7F9CE0AA-9ACE-45A0-9AF3-6B7F1A7E2B22 (resized).jpeg7F9CE0AA-9ACE-45A0-9AF3-6B7F1A7E2B22 (resized).jpeg

#1667 3 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Full show, Belgium 2005.

Wow, that was completely different than the Broadway version we saw. Pretty cool, just different.

#1670 3 years ago

lol Even better.
Now for the real question..
How TF do you lift a Data East pinball field all the way up? I know I'm doing it wrong because the bottom doesnt' come out far enough to actually come out. without the sliders I'm clueless... I feel like I'm going to break it...
I can't find a single video showing it on youtube I've searched here. I am lost! lol...

It’s kind of awkward, but yeah, pull hard.

#1672 3 years ago

Awww but I'm scared!

It’s scary. Get ahold. Lift to about 45 degrees and pull. It’s likely to screech. I replaced my metal guide with a set of high impact plastic ones. A bit better.

#1677 3 years ago

Since this is a bit of a topic right now, can anyone point out the differences between the EnerGI and OCD boards? I have an EnerGI board installed in Tommy, but was curious if I’m missing out on something or if they accomplish the same thing.

#1697 3 years ago
Quoted from Milltown:

Sure do.. It's a nasty bump.
. im considering grinding down,the bumps...

I replaced the brackets in the cabinet with a set of high impact plastic ones. Smoother all round and a simple swap. There’s even a video that shows how to do it without pulling the playfield.
https://www.pinballlife.com/the-ez-slide-slide-playfield-support-bracket-set.html

#1710 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Ok, thanks. Just wondering if they ever made a Union Jack one, etc.

I have looked high and low for a gearshift knob or something spherical with a Union Jack on it. I’d buy a spherical shooter in a heartbeat. If anyone finds something that can be used to construct a Union Jack shooter, let me know.

#1720 3 years ago

So, I received my v5 2 chips in the mail and I can't find any instructions to install them. I found a generic DE one but I can't find anything Tommy related and I don't wanna blow my game up
Where do I put these two ROM chips to make the v5 work? Will it reset my scores? Just wondering, my settings?
Thanks!

You can also look here for rule changes and updates with v.5.0
https://www.pinballcode.com/tommy5

#1723 3 years ago
Quoted from rwredmon:

Can you confirm which playfield support bracket worked (part #; source)? There seem to be various versions available.
Thanks,
Randy

I’ll let you know how the Stern SAM (bigger) brackets work out. Installing them Thursday or Friday. Preliminary measurements and fitting seems to indicate they should be fine. I’ll post whether successful or otherwise once in.

#1735 3 years ago
Quoted from 80sMan:

Hey Guys, great thread.. joined the club a few weeks ago, found a HUO locally that looked like it was hardly ever played and thoroughly enjoying it now. One thing that I noticed was even after a few days of playing, the silver ball target started to wear even more showing white so I was frantically looking for solutions to protect it but with no luck and a reproduction was not easy to find, I saw on the forum that someone cut in a pinball in 1/2 which looked cool but wasn't as practical as would've liked.. an idea popped across my mind to use a mirrored silver Christmas ball ornament that I saw on my tree as I bought a pack with a few sizes in it. I cut one in 1/2 with a thin dremel wheel and it turned out to be almost exactly the same material as the target, maybe a stronger finish being new, I attached it with double sided 3m tape and it works perfectly, hope this helps with a solution for others.
Video here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/e4qe6oemee5lanq/video%20dec%2006%2C%2010%2046%2059%20pm.mov?dl=0[quoted image]

Really nice. Where did you get the Christmas ball ornaments? Thanks for this idea and the pinsound download

1 month later
#1789 3 years ago
Quoted from robotron911:

This. I was doing the same thing as you - figuring out a mounting set up. And I noticed the ball didn't even wobble when I would slide it out to work on it. So, really no reason to mount. Particularly considering that even if I transported it, I don't move games with toppers with them still attached.

I picked up an flat round metal plate used to secure junction boxes to studs that was bigger than the hole (kind of looks like a metal maze), ran a screw with a washer through it into the ball (mine is a big heavy outdoor silver plastic Christmas tree ball that’s the same size and character as the original) and I had no issues and can fold the top with the ball affixed - if that’s at all a goal.

1 month later
#1802 3 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I recently redid all the LEDs in my Tommy and I'm very happy with the results. I used 2SMD sunlight for the playfield GI, and 1SMD sunlight for the backbox. I also installed an EnerGI Maestro board which eliminates the annoying GI flashing. Unfortunately, I don't think the board is being made anymore.

Ditto except 2SMDs in backbox too.
EnerGI is really a must if you can find one.

#1804 3 years ago
Quoted from ClarkGriswold:

Thanks for the heads up.

I'm finding out it is a must. My eyes hurt after playing a couple of games.
On that subject, I'm not sure what flashers are in my machine, but they are STRONG LEDs! Any suggestions on dialing them down, like quite a bit. What are owners using that are still running on original boards? I'm wondering if I should go back to regular flasher bulbs or of anyone has found a good LED flashers for Tommy that aren't absolutely blinding?

Interesting point re the flashers. I forgot that I never upgraded them to LEDs because I heard they were a seizure inducing menace. I’ve been running the EnerGI board with incandescent flashers without incident. According to the developer of the board, it’s okay to run some, undefined, small percentage of incandescent bulbs.
For you, until you get the EnerGI board, I’d say stick with the incandescent flashers.

#1806 3 years ago
Quoted from ClarkGriswold:

Agreed, my eye can't take it. I'll change them out this weekend.

I bet.
There has been talk of other folks reaching out to the EnerGI guy to see if they can produce a run of the things.
Also, keep your eyes peeled for a used one popping up. They go fast.

#1808 3 years ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

who is he, looks like 20 would sell out in a day. we need to contact him

See: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/led-gi-smoother-for-data-east

I think his “name” is caker137

#1811 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Someone did post about unplugging a certain connector to stop the flashing. Can't recall which connector it was.

I think that’s discussed toward the of the same EnerGI thread at:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/led-gi-smoother-for-data-east

#1814 3 years ago
Quoted from colocole:

Anyone know where I can get the Tommy coin door decal? No luck on google searches...

Do you mean this?

https://www.ministryofpinball.com/en/tommy-door-decals.html

#1818 3 years ago
Quoted from colocole:

This may help...
[quoted image]

Hmmm. Have not seen that. Probably pretty easy to get one made. It’s not on the flyer for the American or German version. I wonder if it was a custom job. Curious.

#1820 3 years ago
Quoted from HIPPY:

I got this on EBay a few years back. Custom made by one of their sticker makers. Less than $5. I don’t know which one, ask some of them. I got one made for my Goldeneye recently. Same way, helps the looks a lot.
[quoted image]

That’s pretty cool. Nice look. I’m going to have to check it out

1 week later
#1827 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Got a set of Pinstadium lighting recently. Was thinking about trying it on my Tommy. Anyone have Pinstadium on their game? Thanks.

My Tommy is all Sunlight LED, except the flashers, which are incandescent. Seems a great balance to me. If you have an EnerGI board, which I do, the ratio of LED to incandescent seems fine and the board’s designer said it was okay to run a limited number of incandescent bulbs.

4 weeks later
#1846 3 years ago
Quoted from ArgyleRuby:

was finally getting around to making my first Pinside post when the server blew up...
The mirror on our Tommy sometimes gets stuck in the UP or DOWN positions. Someone I know who used to do regular pinball maintenance for a living suggested taking apart the mechanism and giving it a good clean and lube. Does anyone have any pictures or a video how-to on working with the mirror assembly? Also, what kind of lube would you suggest?

Hope that works, but if not, check this link out. https://www.pinballinfo.com/community/threads/tommy-mirror-motor.12415/
Nice discussion of problems and solutions.

1 week later
#1862 3 years ago
Quoted from bmcclary:

I was able to join the TOMMY club on Friday. A friend of mine from work told me YEARS AGO that she won a pinball machine on The Price is Right (air date of 4/28/94 if someone can help me track it down) back in the 90s. We kept in touch and a few months ago, she asked me if I'd be interested in buying it. The machine was at her brother's house in Cleveland (I'm in SE Michigan) and he was moving. They were looking to get the game moved out. We finalized a deal (which I'm embarrassed to even say how great of a deal I got on this) and I got in my car with my brother for the 7 hour roundtrip drive to Cleveland. We got home around midnight on Friday and loaded the game to what I've dubbed "The Basement Barcade". I shopped the game on Saturday and have it running pretty well. The display doesn't work, but the game is in fantastic condition overall with just a few small bumps and bruises on the cabinet from previous moves I'm sure.
I ordered Titan rubbers and am looking for recommendations on a LED kit. I'm also considering a color DMD display and a Pinsound system. Any thoughts on either of these? Are they worth it?
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Great find. Get the pinsound and consider adding pinwoofer speakers and amp too if in your price range. Sound is great with that combo. I really like the color DMD.
As far as LEDs, that’s a bit more tricky. Some has to do with personal taste, some technical.
I simply switched to comet LED sunshine white bulbs all round and left the flashers incandescent. I’m not a fan of all the colored bulbs.
If you do switch to LED, search this thread and the Data East thread for info on something called the EnerGI board. It smooths out the abrupt on/off aspect of LED bulbs and adds a fade effect that mimics the on/off of incandescent bulbs. Much less jarring and seizure inducing than just adding LEDs. The EnerGI is hard to come by, but I think there are other boards that create a similar effect. You may not even be bothered by the unaddressed introduction of the LEDs.
There are also a few mods floating around that are cheap and kind of cool that add to the look of the game without going overboard.
Great game and a great find. Have fun.

2 weeks later
#1875 2 years ago
Quoted from monkfe:

It's probably 250V look for the amp rating
Nevermind... now I see what you're talking about...no that doesn't belong anywhere near a pinball machine...

Maybe his subwoofer is just enormously powerful - you know, "kill people standing too close" powerful.

1 month later
#1885 2 years ago
Quoted from ArgyleRuby:

How much do people modify their machines? I guess this is sort of a casual poll/survey-type questions. Can you do too much? Does it affect the value, positively or negatively?
So far we've...
Changed to LEDs (done before purchase)
Added mirror blades
Changed to PinSound
In the process of changing the coin reject slots
In the process of upgrading to the unofficial Tommy 5.0 ROMs
And we're considering getting one of the color DMDs.
Semi-related question: does anyone have a link to a How-To guide or video for chaning out the ROMs?

Including the color DMD, that’s what I did. I also added a pinwoofer set up to improve the sound, added Union Jack flipper bat covers, Union Jack stickers on target banks, and added a couple of color LED wafers by the backs of the ramps.

Check out this topic re changing ROMs - which is easy if you go slow. They talk about taking the board out to do it - or not. I take the board out. But they also talk about pulling the ROMs and such. If I can do it, anyone can....

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/installing-new-roms-take-off-boards-or-leave-on

2 weeks later
#1912 2 years ago

Having a bad day… two pins went down, game room stereo receiver went spuds up and so I’m done for the day.
So my Tommy was working great as usual, then for the first time ever - reboot.
When I turned it back on, all lights rapidly flashing on and off with audible click.
I have an EnerGI board, pinsound, pinwoofer, and LEDs for all but flashers.
I have not begun to look into it yet - to pissed - but wondered if anything jumped out at anyone before I start looking into it.

#1916 2 years ago
Quoted from Ive:

Agree. My Baywatch refused to boot and was acting weird the other day ..... reseated ribbons and connectors to power board. All good again. I should of done one at a time really to pinpoint the culprit. But anyway its working fine again

looking like one of the diodes of the bridge rectifiers on the rottendog power board went spuds up…

Thanks for the ideas - very much appreciated. I’ll post if this is the ultimate remedy.

1 week later
#1921 2 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Is yours sideways, protecting the lane and a ball jump?
I was getting more airballs, and turned this direction....Unsure of original position?
Where is yours?
Isee I moved mine in between since I finshed. Its pointing at 2 oclock to catch both....

Isn’t that the plastic that goes by the left scoop to prevent a ball trap right between the legs of the figure (Tommy) on the plastic?
The clear plastic assigned to the entrance of the Genius lane is a long plastic that runs parallel to the lane from front to back and is much longer.
I’m thinking the plastic you have spanning the lane entrance does not belong there.
Just my two cents.
Check out this posting, it has the placement of all clear ball deflection plastics. The one I’m talking about is third down.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-whos-tommy-club-can-you-hear-me-members-only/page/6#post-3052416

1 month later
#1957 2 years ago

I love this pin so much.

It’s a grand pin. Can’t beat the modes, shots and the blinder is too cool

4 weeks later
#1966 2 years ago
Quoted from Blamer:

Hey,
I can now finally say I'm part of the Tommy's family!
Next things to do: buy new blinders and a new topper.
P.S. It's still on ROM v.3.00, do you suggest me upgrading to 4.00 or to 5.00? Thanks!
[quoted image]

Congratulations. Amazing game. Definitely get the blinders. Consider sound upgrades with pinwoofer for umph, and Pinsound for a better score and quality.

2 months later
#2006 2 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Here's my silver ball target solution. It's so crazy it might just work.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
Big chunk of super high density foam inside.
[quoted image]

That’s awesome!

4 weeks later
#2019 2 years ago
Quoted from RhettDR:

Picked this up last month - so, I'm on my Mod Journey... But I have done the full LED, and the full Cliffy kit all new Plastics (pretty much every plastic was in ROUGH shape... ) But the cabinet and playfield were in absolutely fantastic shape... Was terribly filthy, however... Just - all-over...
The game appeared to be bone stock, when I got it.
Though I think it has a custom Translite (which I don't really like).
The Cliffy's make the game a tad more difficult, but this game really needs that in my opinion (It's pretty easy to take this one all the way to "Pinball Wizard"). The Cliffys just LOOK great on this game too... Just very aesthetically pleasing...
In a collection, this is just a great game for fun / easily approachable / etc... Really like it...
Next month - Pinsound
Month after - Color DMD
Finally - Sit back & enjoy!

Oddly you actually have the original prototype translite. I picked one up ( I kind of like it) but the bottom couple of inches were cut off. Probably someone putting it in a frame. Sadly that prohibits me from installing the thing.

So, unless it’s a knock off, you have an oddity. Someone has been trying to sell one forever on eBay for $175, so I don’t know that it’s really an expensive thing, just cool if you happen to like it.

Tommy is a great game. I did the pinsound and pinwoofer combo and love it. Added a shaker too. One of my favorites.

4 weeks later
#2028 2 years ago
Quoted from JStoltz:

Thinking about doing a topside teardown of my Tommy to give it a good thorough clean/wax, replace all the rubbers, and finish installing the harder-to-get-to Cliffy protectors. I'd probably just do a partial teardown under normal circumstances, but I'm planning on listing it sometime in the next few months and want it to present as well as possible.
Anybody have any success/horror stories for this process on a Tommy? Any mechs or anything that are particularly challenging to remove/reattach?
Thanks!

Not really anything that comes to mind. I remember it being very simple and straight forward. Ramps weren’t any problem at all.

1 week later
#2033 2 years ago
Quoted from RobDutch:

The blinder on a friends Tommy really struggles to open and close. Any adjustments to open/close it with more power? The blinders are a 3D printed repro, guessing part of the problem lies there or the mechanism is missing a part or two.
Any advice? Thanks!

I don’t know about more power. The adjustments are really for positioning. There are lots of on line photos and videos. Start by making sure the mechanical aspects of the device are correct. There shouldn’t be any substantial resistance to opening and closing.

#2047 2 years ago
Quoted from lhammer610:

I am redoing my Tommy cabinet with the custom art from Retro Refurbs. This is my first cabinet artwork application.
What color should I paint the cabinet prior to applying the side art? The original cabinet was yellow, which I could match and redo. But this custom artwork only has a little of the original yellow in it. Since the cabinet paint will show on the edge of the wood, as well as where the artwork ends, I want everything to blend in.
https://www.retrorefurbs.com/shop/the-whos-tommy-hand-drawn-pinball-translite/#single/0

Sand, fill all dings, sand again, and basically get it ready as if you are going to paint it. Primer it and paint it the same blue as the background of the cabinet decal/sticker/side art. I went with the original yellow and so painted a yellow base. Came out great.

#2052 2 years ago
Quoted from lhammer610:

I have significant cabinet repair to do, so more than sanding.
Did you sand off the original artwork? Or heatgun and scrape?
A little confused as to the background color. You suggested matching the blue in the Retrorefurbs new side art? Or the yellow of the original? I have not had the side art out of the round container long enough to study it.
I am guessing from their photo that the blue does make sense. Thanks.
https://www.retrorefurbs.com/shop/the-whos-tommy-hand-drawn-pinball-cabinet-decals/#iLightbox[product-gallery]/1

My original cabinet was factory paint. If yours is a decal, remove it completely. Then fill and sand.

Yes, I suggest blue since the base color of the retro refurb is, I believe, blue. The decals typically leave the corners and a few other areas uncovered, so the blue base will give it a uniform look.

Good luck and have fun.

#2055 2 years ago
Quoted from lhammer610:

Mine is the original which appears to be paint. Any idea if there is lead in it? I know that home lead paint was banned in the '70's, but commercial use extended for many years after.
I have to repair the cabinet also, due to water damage. Then sand. What did you fill with? I know many people that use bondo.

I did it outside with a painting respirator. However, I’m the guy that wears a respirator when I go up into the attic. I don’t know if it has lead, but better safe than sorry.
I filled with wood filler. I didn’t have a lot of deep holes, just a lot of minor ones.

1 month later
#2057 2 years ago
Quoted from tominator:

My name is Tommy and I like to pretend that I am a pinball wizard, so I finally joined this club!
Scored a beautiful example shipped to me from 3500 km’s away.
It has the 5.0 code, and once I’ve played it a bunch I will probably get the Who music upgrade...
Here she is!
[quoted image]

Congratulations. One of my favorite pins. Not much beats the blinders. Re the sound: I did both the pinsound board upgrade and the pinwoofer upgrade. It’s great. I also recommend the color DMD.

1 month later
#2078 1 year ago

Tommy is no longer on the top 100

That list is odd. When something new comes out, it jumps toward the top and pushes all the older games down.

Tommy will always be in my Top 10 list. Especially with pinsound and pinwoofers.

3 weeks later
#2084 1 year ago
Quoted from Wylte:

I got my Tommy in near-perfect HUO condition (16148 plays, ~1.5/day), and I want it to stay that way. I probably put too much love into these things, but I enjoy it almost as much as playing, so why not!
12 days owning a pinball machine:
PF cleaned, plastics polished, bulbs checked, spinners lubed, screws checked, cleaned under apron, tuned blinder pot's, cleaned captive ball + area, waxed, retouched spotlights, bumper and mirror leaf switches cleaned and adjusted, LEDs added (Comet retro warm white SMD's only: 11 behind translite and 2 in lanes), rotted 3/8“ rubbers replaced, plastic protective washers installed, outlane posts moved to "easy" positions, VUK playfield parts disassembled & cleaned, mylar installed, cracked VUK plastic reinforced, Blinders re-tuned (still twitchy, getting interference somewhere), 5.0 rom installed, front leg protectors on, trough light and additional spotlight pair installed, pushbutton wear guards (self-cut mylar)
Someday: Protective plastics, Pinsound, LED inserts/GI with OCD Board (for heat), Shaker motor, New speakers
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Love my Tommy. I also added pinwoofers along with the pinsound board. Outstanding. You’ll like the pinsound board. Good work done by others to create outstanding soundtracks. I modified one and love it.

1 week later
2 weeks later
#2095 1 year ago
Quoted from Rustle:

Hi Ive, new in here and was just wondering if your fb group is still up and running? I found a Tommy group on fb the other day and can't find it now for the bloody life of me. It's drivin me nuts. Was your group taken down recently? I don't actually own a Tommy yet but thinkin of buyin one and just wanted to ask a few questions in there. I suppose I could ask them in here but not really familiar with how pinside forums or forums in general work. Thanks

If you ask here, you will typically get responses (of course now that I say that - you won’t) and the folks on this forum have a lot of experience with this game.
Great game by the way. Blinders are awesome and you can really do wonders with the sound and music selection depending on how much money you toss at the game.
I didn’t know there was a Facebook group on this. I’ll have to check it out.

1 month later
#2111 1 year ago
Quoted from Hogey:

I installed my recently purchased Pinsound board and speakers yesterday in my Tommy. . Had some issues with the files initially but worked through it with Nicolas at Pinsound and help from here. My issue is the headphones master. I installed it and went to use it, but the knob has nonstop to it and it doesn’t adjust the volume (meaning the knob just spins and spins all the way around…no way to turn it to 0 to change files or get any volume changes). I’m assuming it’s a defective unit? I reached out to Pinsound and am awaiting a reply. Anyone else have this issue ever?
I have the same setup installed in my IJ and it works great. This install is in a DE Tommy.
Thanks.

I had little luck with the volume control on the the headphone jack unit. It goes from 0 to 100 with nothing in-between. I just leave it at 100 and so it does not come into play when I am playing. I only use the jack unit when I use headphones. Love the Pinshound board and shaker, but not a big fan of the Headphone jack unit.

3 weeks later
#2129 1 year ago
Quoted from erikrom:

Anglais
Goodnight all . for quite a few years, a goal was anchored in mind to find this pretty and good flipper the tommy. It was made in 2022, with a model with a slightly worn, dirty, but decent tray. at an unfortunately current price. 4k euros. Given its low plateau wear and its perfect functionality, including the fan, I had to resolve it. So here he is at home. Complete tray disassembly, serious cleaning, then novus 3.2.1 then installation of a playfield protector for a vitrified and shiny appearance and real protection. Thus it will hold until the future and distant era of zombies.
Change and complete study of the lighting, new translucent elastics, new sets, new targets, cliffy protection. and art blade interior sticker, speaker sticker, door sticker. paint still yellow. and finally custom engraved side rail. At the end of September, during a pinball show in France, the pinsound full kit will deliver the coup de grace. Question game, this pinball machine is a real slap in our faces and our ears at each game. I'll never grow tired .
français
Bonsoir a tous . depuis pas mal d'années, un objectif etait ancré en tete de trouver ce jolie et bon flipper le tommy. Ce fut fait en 2022 , avec un modele au plateau peu usé , sale , mais convenable . a un prix malheureusement d'actualité . 4k euros .compte tenu sa faible usure plateau et sa fonctionnalité parfaite y compris l'evantail , j'ai du m'y resoudre . Le voila donc a la maison . demontage plateau complet , nettoyage serieux , puis novus 3.2.1 puis pose d'un playfield protector pour aspect vitrifié et brillant et une vrai protection. Ainsi il tiendra j'usqu'a l'ere futur et lointain des zombies .
Changement et etude complete de l'eclairage , elsatiques translucides neufs , decors neufs , cibles neuves , protection cliffy . et sticker art blade interieur de caisse , speaker sticker , door sticker . peinture toujours jaunes . et enfin side rail sur mesure gravé . Fin septembre a l'occasion d'un salon du flipper en france le full kit pinsound portera le coup de grace . Question jeu , ce flipper est une veritable claque dans nos visages et nos oreilles a chaque partie . je ne m'en lasserai jamais .

Splendid example of the game. You need only add a color DMD to finish it off.

1 month later
#2154 1 year ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

You can get the Pinsound integrated/interactive shaker kit and it shakes a lot more during gameplay.
The other option, you can install it and (I think with the prototype roms) but I think it only shakes during the skill shot and maybe multiball... certainly not worth it.
It does look like at one point mine did ship to Taiwan with a shaker installed and it was later removed.
I think TOMMY was originally designed to have a shaker but DE dropped it with all games after the prototypes. There's some pictures of a proto or sample export TOMMY with a shaker in this thread:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tommy-with-shaker-motor

I have the pinsound shaker. Easy to install and program. You slave the shake effects to different sounds. Very simple.

3 months later
#2170 1 year ago
Quoted from Wylte:

Hand-painted Union Jack stand-up targets, done by my wife
[quoted image][quoted image]

Nice! I only have the stickers. She did a great Job.

1 month later
#2186 1 year ago
Quoted from Wylte:

You'd think, but just keeping an eye out wherever I happen to be, no stores have had them and Amazon only seems to have sets that are rough or have a weird lip.

Look on eBay for vintage measuring spoons. They seem to pop up and are cheap.

11 months later
#2254 49 days ago
Quoted from Scheuejp:

I know i’m one of the only people who enjoy the broadway aspect of the pin. But that is because I first heard the music when my Dad took me to see it on Broadway in 1993. Well guess what? It is back on Broadway starting March 8th! I highly recommend going if you live anywhere near NY. I cant wait to go see it again.
[quoted image]

Saw the new production when we were visiting Chicago. Very different from the original Broadway run, but really really good. They even had a contest when we saw it in Chicago; the top score on a Tommy pinball they had set up won a guitar signed by Pete Townshend. I posted a decent high score, but alas, someone (or many someones) came along and beat it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Led
TheDudeMods

$ 18.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 28.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

€ 25.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pin-Decals

Machine - For Sale
Fairfax, VA
$ 18.95
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinball Haus

Flipper Parts
TheDudeMods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

€ 27.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 45.95

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zahner.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-whos-tommy-club-can-you-hear-me-members-only?tu=zahner and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.