(Topic ID: 142990)

The Who's TOMMY Club - Can you hear me? Members Only!

By ChadH

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 1,120 posts
  • 130 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 day ago by Number41
  • Topic is favorited by 62 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 269 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

snip1 (resized).JPG
B8D7CE64-56EE-4804-8301-C3BD1797513F (resized).jpeg
pb4 (resized).jpg
Cn1 2 (resized).jpg
Cn1 1 (resized).jpg
762A11B5-258F-4219-9E4B-3C6C53228AF8 (resized).png
tommy proto vs serie2 (resized).jpg
tommy-altern-07 (resized).jpg
AADE2F7E-EB2C-42DA-8A15-15D290396C3D (resized).jpeg
C00A94BE-6285-4139-9787-9E9170A01471 (resized).jpeg
DDFBCE0E-62C0-47C2-92B7-A7E1CBD87270 (resized).png
rails (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
AF762282-A3F5-4714-847F-7C764A3E4640 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider williams.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#30 3 years ago
Quoted from RDReynolds:

Anyone else have problems with the spinners? Both of mine barely spin at all. I'd read somewhere this was a DE problem of sorts?

I wouldn't say they're as juiced as classic Bally spinners, but the same tweaks will help (lightly sand and apply a small bit of teflon gel lube).

#33 3 years ago
Quoted from Number41:

Has anyone upgraded the speakers in their Tommy? I was considering looking into a Pinball Pro or Flipper Fidelity speakers/sub set and I'm curious how dramatic the difference is with the stock sounds and music.

I put a set of Flipper Fidelity in mine. Honestly, nothing dramatic like I've seen in other games (Twilight Zone/Tron). Not a waste of money, not a must have either. I'd give it a solid 'Eh'.

1 month later
#168 3 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

I'm no expert but probably in the $2,500-3,000 range.

Seconded. Haven't seen one less than $2200 in years.

4 months later
#313 3 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

There are some great changes in there! Though I don't think I'm tech savy enough to install the code.
How well is this code going to work with the recently released colorDMD?

Surely we can find someone in BHam or Atlanta to burn a copy. John Wart is the best I've found for mail order.

I'll likely wait until Color DMD support is added before I upgrade. But it is awesome this exists. I've been a big fan of the Star Wars upgrade since it came out.

#329 3 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

Original video mode scoring was bad. Do nothing and get 13M or try really hard and get maybe 18M.

Since you are familiar with this can you give some incite into how the original scoring worked? I've heard rumors that this was never completed, hitting the targets didn't actually work, etc. Just wondering if any of that is true or what the crazy scoring was.

1 week later
#365 3 years ago

A question for those of you who have installed the color dmd. I'm having a lot of issues with my installation. I've done one on a Stern with no issues. After doing the install I have a pretty large gap between the front of the display and the speaker panel. See attached pic. Is this normal? I ask because after talking to LOTRBreath I may have had some non-standard hardware. I also had to buy the 1/4 spacers (none were with my color Dmd) and replace the metal spacers because mine were 1 1/4" leaving no room to put a nut.

I too had to do the steps others have outlined (elongated the holes, etc).

IMAG0007_(resized).jpg

#369 3 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Wait, did you cut the 15inch long strip from the plastic panel with a Dremmel? You've got to do that to get it much closer to the window.

Yes, I did trim the panel. It does lay flush with the 1/4 spacers but like you say, not near the front of the panel. I would say about the same as yours, enough to fit my pinky in gap. The pic I attached is after my installation.

#381 3 years ago
Quoted from shimoda:

I've been putting blue Titans in mine. They look and play great.

Do you have a picture of this, sounds interesting. Purple flipper rubbers (Titan) look great on mine.

#382 3 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

Definitely a power issue. Your sound card keeps rebooting (the "Tommy" voice call is always played upon sound boot up.)
I see your display even rebooted. Again... power. Might be your power was right on the edge before and the ColorDMD has pushed your power supply over the edge?

Add me to the group that is also having this issue since my Color DMD install. I get the same 'Tommy' voice call that restarts and music cuts out. Only happens during multiball so that definately points to a power issue. Reseated cables but no change. I'll report back once I have a chance to look into this to see if my power board has issues.

1 month later
#423 3 years ago
Quoted from MAJRob:

Nice pick up, wish mine had the rails that went over the flipper buttons

Marco has them.

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/535-5010-3X

6 months later
#564 2 years ago
Quoted from Fortytwo:

Finally got the new wood rail installed. Original one for reference.
I figured out where the plastics went. All I need is a bracket for the one behind the vuk wireform and a ramp entrance wire.
I'm going to see if pb resource has them.

You'll probably have to make your own for the ramp entrance wire. That's what I did. I think PBR sells piano wire that you can use to make one. Something like this.

http://www.pinrestore.com/Supplies.html

7 months later
#671 2 years ago
Quoted from lhammer610:

I just got my project Tommy completed and I have a question about the blinders / arch: When are they supposed to activate during game play?

Sounds like what you describe is how they should work. The Chad H rom changes some modes and they use the blinders more. It's a worthy upgrade for more reasons than that.

I'd be very surprised if the PAPA Tommy had that ROM though.

#677 2 years ago
Quoted from lhammer610:

I am upgrading the speakers. Is there anything else I should do?

I'll be honest, I upgraded the speakers in mine to one of the kits that are out there. It's better, but a very subtle difference. Just a heads up that I wasn't as blown away by the upgrade as I was in other games (Twilight Zone and Tron come to mind).

#681 2 years ago
Quoted from lhammer610:

I think all pre-DCS WPC pins have mediocre sounds.

For me it was an improvement in the bass. Tommy doesn't really shine in this department.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 40.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Lighting - Led
TheDudeMods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider williams.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside