(Topic ID: 142990)

The Who's TOMMY Club - Can you hear me? Members Only!

By ChadH

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,268 posts
  • 189 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 22 days ago by Cloud7
  • Topic is favorited by 101 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240402_190633 (resized).jpg
IMG_0837 (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
208B62BB-BFC2-4887-BF1F-C1553C296DC4 (resized).jpeg
E39892B0-EAE6-405E-8081-1FCCBE1A62BC (resized).png
D7947C2E-4557-4064-80FD-F244F3C06761 (resized).jpeg
20230802_224904 (resized).jpg
20230802_224851 (resized).jpg
IMG_3423 (resized).jpeg
Screen Shot 2023-07-27 at 9.35.26 AM (resized).png
IMG_3415 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3413 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3410 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3411 (resized).jpeg
Screen Shot 2023-07-26 at 11.04.34 AM (resized).png
Screen Shot 2023-07-26 at 11.03.38 AM (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider vicrattlehead.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#641 6 years ago

Anyone know how I should position this plastic guard? TIA!

1grd (resized).jpg1grd (resized).jpg

#643 6 years ago
Quoted from HIPPY:

On mine, the only plastic guard in that area is behind the right spinner,mounted on a spacer type post,next to ramp. Hope this helps, love my Tommy.

If its not too much trouble, could you post a pic please?

Thanks!!!

#648 6 years ago
Quoted from Number41:

I made this post a while back with pictures showing the original factory positioning of all clear plastic guards on my Tommy. Hope this helps!
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-whos-tommy-club-can-you-hear-me-members-only/page/6#post-3052416

Thank you!

4 weeks later
#656 6 years ago

Got a bit of a problem with my Tommy and I cant figure it out. Whenever the ball is in the trough for skill shot, I can hit the right flipper and the game thinks I went through one of the spinners. I can let the ball sit there and keep hitting the right flipper scoring spinners over and over. But when the ball is in play, I hit the right flipper, nothing. It doesnt register as a spinner.

What the heck?

#660 6 years ago

Thanks so much for the insight! I will be working on this tonight and tomorrow.

#668 6 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

More importantly though, can someone take a picture of the back side of their start button and explain how the switch/lamp is supposed to stay attached to the button? Mine just falls out when you push the button, so I have to reach in and press the microswitch directly. Usually with this type of button there's a little twist thing you can do to lock it in (and it looks like that's how the replacements work) but this one isn't made like that.

Not sure if the pic helps you but, on my Tommy, the lamp "socket/switch housing" pushes in (snaps) to the black start/eb housing.

20170925_184349 (resized).jpg20170925_184349 (resized).jpg

#691 6 years ago
Quoted from lhammer610:

I have a 3b DE and the sound is great - except for the lamp buzz. I minimized that by isolating the board / ground screws to remove the ground loop. I also found that the lamp buzz does not increase with the volume control - meaning it is after the volume control. So I put a resistor pad on the backbox speakers and upped the main volume.
The sound on my project Tommy sounds terrible. There is intermittent hiss in addition to the lamp buzz. But the voices and music sound muted, too. Sound board is a slightly different design than my DE 3b.
I am upgrading the speakers. Is there anything else I should do?
I am amazed how many 10 uF Caps are used to couple the sound between the TDA8199 and U31 / 33. Each channel has TWO! Should I replace those? I am not certain what the other electrolytic caps to ground do (C53, 54, 61, 62, 68, 69). Will replacing those help?

The deafening of the game play audio may be bad wiring or blown speakers in the back box. My Tommy had really bad buzzing from the lights cycling and the dmd. I was able to greatly reduce the noise by installing a dedicated power supply for the sound board. I still get a little interference from the dmd.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-speaker-noise-ideas-for-a-cure

IMO, if you do replace the speakers, dont waste your money on the high dollar stuff, unless you go with that pinsound board. Just pick up a pair of decent 4" 4ohm speakers and a 8" 4ohm sub.

#692 6 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

All the switches you mention are in the same row. Check all the switches in this row.

I finally made my way through checking the switches and diodes. Everything tests ok. Before I go ahead and replace the switches and diodes for s*g, got any other ideas what could cause my problem? TIA!

5 years later
#2157 1 year ago

Thank you TimeBandit for your great idea for the silver ball! I took a ss measuring spoon, cut the handle off and notched it out. I was going to fill the spoon with epoxy, but I didnt have enough. I decided to try filling it with hot glue. So far it works great!

1.jpg1.jpg2.jpg2.jpg3.jpg3.jpg4.jpg4.jpg5.jpg5.jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
$ 18.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 28.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Flipper Parts
TheDudeMods

$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

€ 25.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pin-Decals

Lighting - Led
TheDudeMods

$ 45.95
$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Fairfax, VA
Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

€ 27.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 18.95

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider vicrattlehead.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-whos-tommy-club-can-you-hear-me-members-only?tu=vicrattlehead and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.