(Topic ID: 142990)

The Who's TOMMY Club - Can you hear me? Members Only!

By ChadH

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,268 posts
  • 189 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 16 days ago by Cloud7
  • Topic is favorited by 101 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240402_190633 (resized).jpg
IMG_0837 (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
208B62BB-BFC2-4887-BF1F-C1553C296DC4 (resized).jpeg
E39892B0-EAE6-405E-8081-1FCCBE1A62BC (resized).png
D7947C2E-4557-4064-80FD-F244F3C06761 (resized).jpeg
20230802_224904 (resized).jpg
20230802_224851 (resized).jpg
IMG_3423 (resized).jpeg
Screen Shot 2023-07-27 at 9.35.26 AM (resized).png
IMG_3415 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3413 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3410 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3411 (resized).jpeg
Screen Shot 2023-07-26 at 11.04.34 AM (resized).png
Screen Shot 2023-07-26 at 11.03.38 AM (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider snyper2099.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2131 1 year ago

I am in need of some Tommy specific parts. Asking here before I place a $700 order for new parts...

If anyone has a plastic, standard size "DMD" Data East speaker panel, I could really use that or, if someone could just measure the depth/height/width of one, that would even be useful. I will just build one myself before I buy the $249 one on ebay.

Playfield parts needed:
Mirror drive motor assembly: (Including the "Z" metal frame+motor+switches+cam+arm)
-probably end up just building this from scratch. I found most of the needed parts new online. I believe it's the same assembly on TFTC.

Also need:
-An original manual
-A lockdown bar (modern Stern one would work also)
-One spinner
-The entrance plastic for the right ramp shown here:
Screen Shot 2022-09-07 at 3.05.44 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2022-09-07 at 3.05.44 PM (resized).png

-I also need all the blinder parts. I am aware of the 3D printed and repro PCBs online but if anyone has extra parts they did not use, I will buy them.

Since the machine if pretty well gone, I am going to try to post some in this thread about the rebuild steps in order to help others in the future.

Added 19 months ago:

Refurb Tommy thread is here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tommys-not-a-wizard-yet-he-needs-serious-help-refurb-thread

Added 18 months ago:

I have found the things I needed. Thanks to all!

#2133 1 year ago

Thank you lhammer610!

I am in need of some more Tommy help. Can someone follow where these 2 plugs with three wires each end up connecting IN THE HEAD? Right hand side of the head, coming out of main playfield harness.

I didn’t see these two connections in the manual.

Totally guessing the wires go to the power supply board (or most do) but, not certain.
50A8C6C8-B4BE-48B2-8DA4-36BA9B28A30C (resized).jpeg50A8C6C8-B4BE-48B2-8DA4-36BA9B28A30C (resized).jpegF0ED6DA9-B686-4305-9DE0-7F4E9A75F194 (resized).jpegF0ED6DA9-B686-4305-9DE0-7F4E9A75F194 (resized).jpeg

Here's a better picture of the two male wire harnesses in the cabinet that I need to create (not my game in picture below)... Definitely look to be going to power supply. Why is this not documented in the manual? So frustrating.

Screen Shot 2022-09-09 at 9.51.26 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2022-09-09 at 9.51.26 AM (resized).png

#2135 1 year ago

Thank you for confirming the Blu/Wh does go to CN4-pin 9. But, I need to know where the other side of the wires (in the head) start. Only 5 more to go...

[mystery PLUG 1]
1 BLU/WH - CN4-pin 9 (confirmed-lamp drive)
2 BLK/ORG - ?
3 GRY/ORG - ?

[mystery PLUG 2]
1 GRY/RD - ? CN6-pin 3 on power supply ?
2 GRY - ?(assuming it's +5)
3 BLK - ?(assuming it's GND)

Added 18 months ago:

I have traced out and confirmed all of these wires in my Tommy restoration thread.

#2138 1 year ago

That’s not the correct area. Plugs are on the right side of the head, have gry/org and gry/red wires.

1 week later
#2141 1 year ago

Can someone please trace the wires for the “GND” CN10 connector (single yellow wire looped through two pins) on the power supply? My game is missing this wire. The schematic does not seem to state where the wires goes.

I know it’s a ground but I’m not sure where it end’s up.

A5C40A59-A013-4FDB-A9D4-BDD9077843FF (resized).jpegA5C40A59-A013-4FDB-A9D4-BDD9077843FF (resized).jpeg

#2143 1 year ago

Hmmm, odd. I guess they doubled it up, I do already have a ground in that harness from the main power connector on the PSU.

2 weeks later
#2145 1 year ago

The 3 pin gray wire one by the speaker is no connection.
The two pin with 120AC is no connection.
Yes, the square 9 pin is for a adding a DBV to the coin door.

I believe that the two large plugs on the power box side are for "foreign coin counter boards".

The straight 6 pin @ the coin door connector might be for the shaker motor control board. (I'm only saying that because I noticed your game is a Taiwan re-import machine. The one I own was from Taiwan too and appears to have a factory installed shaker motor in it.)

Does yours happen to have a shaker?

Also, crazy question... WHY is your cabinet BLUE?

Welcome to the Tommy resurrection club!

#2153 1 year ago
Quoted from gstanczuk:

I have been reading some posts in the Tommy club and came across a post stating that Tommy had a shaker motor. There were differing posts. Looking inside my Tommy it does indeed have a shaker motor board but no shaker motor. My game is a UK game imported to the USA and now it’s in Canada. The shaker motor board is the same as in my DE Jurassic Park. Is there software to control a shaker in Tommy?

You can get the Pinsound integrated/interactive shaker kit and it shakes a lot more during gameplay.

The other option, you can install it and (I think with the prototype roms) but I think it only shakes during the skill shot and maybe multiball... certainly not worth it.

It does look like at one point mine did ship to Taiwan with a shaker installed and it was later removed.

I think TOMMY was originally designed to have a shaker but DE dropped it with all games after the prototypes. There's some pictures of a proto or sample export TOMMY with a shaker in this thread:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tommy-with-shaker-motor

3 months later
#2166 1 year ago
Quoted from G35R6:

Hey Tommy owners, I'm asking for a friend.
What are the known areas balls get stuck on this game and are there any related "fixes"?
A search only turned up the area in front of the VUK.
Any others?
Thanks.

#1 In the ball trough. Balls hang for a bunch of reasons.

Behind raised hotdog inserts.

In the Union Jack mode start shot.(When VUK plunger/popper does not seat properly.)

-Check the ball trough again.. yup they are still sticking in there!

In my case there were 4 reasons the balls were getting stuck in the ball trough. Yes 4.

2 months later
#2191 1 year ago
Quoted from gjm:

I'm interested in hearing about how deep the rules are on this pin. As we all know some pins have very deep ways/rules to get through/to the modes.
Is it really a "deep" rule pin?
Thanks for your opinions.

It's along the same lines as the other DE pins of the era. TFTC, Tommy, LAH all have similar bones. A bunch of modes to get to a wizard mode. You can usually time them out. You can run more than one mode at a time unless it's a multiball mode. It's difficult to get them all. There are some other scoring opportunities and a few "hidden" things on each game. It's worth mentioning that Lyman Sheat's DE work really helped to establish the future of Stern pinball in the industry. The bare bones of his designs here are a standard starting point for most modern Stern machines.

#2198 1 year ago
Quoted from Svend:

I'm not sure if it's really deep, but in terms of the variety with the modes I think it's really good for a 90's pin. I also have an Addams Family which on first view has a lot of different modes but many of them are nearly the same (so effectively you only have 5 modes + the main multiball). On Tommy every Union Jack mode is really different so you'll have 10-12 different challenges.
I also have a question: I need to replace the autokicker on my Tommy. There are examples on the internet which show the previous generation Stern autolauncher/autokicker being installed succesfully. But has anyone ever succeeded in transplanting the current Stern autokicker to a Data East machine?
I mean this one: https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-21022

I converted mine but the one in your link is not the correct one. Not saying you could not use it but that one MUCH wider and it's mounted using some odd looking compression studs to the left of the shooter lane like all new Sterns. [You would possibly need to drill holes all the way through your Tommy playfield to use one of that variety.]

I would not recommend using one that wide because the previous generation Stern one BARELY fits in there, width-wise. It's hard to explain without pictures but the way the Data East through is designed really limits the amount of space you have there. You could try it and see but you could also run into problems lining up the switch and could end up wasting $82.

If it's worth anything, I used the one that's on games like Sharky's Shootout and Austin Powers (from Pinballlife.com) and it works FANTASTIC and is half the price. https://www.pinballlife.com/segastern-auto-plunger-arm-weld-assembly.html

There's a couple examples of people installing it. Here's the post about my Tommy auto-shooter conversion in my "trash to treasure Tommy" thread that I did last year (with a few pictures of the installed assembly): https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tommys-not-a-wizard-yet-he-needs-serious-help-refurb-thread#post-7174562 [posts 37+38]

1 month later
#2212 10 months ago

I’m fairly certain those are micro switches and not leaf switches. Anyway, I’d bet the wire is getting hung up on the wooden slot because it’s bent or some other obstruction. You’ll need to prop the playfield up and look trough the hole when the switch is activated to check for free travel. The wire could just be out of alignment.

2 weeks later
#2224 10 months ago

There’s a lot of really good classic stuff in Tommy. I think it’s a game that really made a statement for Lyman’s talents. He relentlessly kept making the game better and better. His interview with Jeff Teolis about Tommy is worth a listen if you’ve not heard it. A lot of Data East nostalgia hidden in that interview. A lot of the design team got to meet members of the Who and actors in the Tommy Broadway production.

1 month later
#2234 8 months ago

Look at/wiggle gi connectors (also unplug and re-plug) with the game in attract mode to see if you get any life. Likely burnt pins or connectors.

First place to check is the GI plug from the transformer in lower cabinet. Yellow/White wires...
Screen Shot 2023-07-26 at 11.03.38 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2023-07-26 at 11.03.38 AM (resized).png
Next, check the two power supply connectors where the GI voltage goes in/out of the board (will be on the right side of the power board) in the head. That's a total of 3 plugs you need to investigate.

The is GI circuit is also fused. Confirm with a meter by removing the fuse(s) and testing.
Screen Shot 2023-07-26 at 11.04.34 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2023-07-26 at 11.04.34 AM (resized).png

#2237 8 months ago

Not unless the backbox GI is out. With the game on, Check the plugs I described in my previous post. One in lower cab and I circled the other two in this picture you posted:
Screen Shot 2023-07-27 at 9.35.26 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2023-07-27 at 9.35.26 AM (resized).png

Lower plug is "GI in" and upper plug is "GI out".

#2240 8 months ago
Quoted from tominator:

Thank you again… time to flip this pin again! So great.

That's fine but you did not fix it by wigging wires. You will need to determine WHICH plug failed and re-pin it. Keep in mind that your problem is likely to return again, rather quickly.

1 month later
#2247 7 months ago

Not ideal but, it would work. The flashers and the 32V coil outputs are not fused on the -00 board. Also, the -00 board may or may not have a varistor.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Flipper Parts
TheDudeMods

Machine - For Sale
Fairfax, VA
$ 18.95
$ 28.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

€ 25.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pin-Decals

$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 18.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Lighting - Led
TheDudeMods

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 3.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 18.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 45.95
€ 27.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinball Haus

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider snyper2099.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-whos-tommy-club-can-you-hear-me-members-only?tu=snyper2099 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.