(Topic ID: 142990)

The Who's TOMMY Club - Can you hear me? Members Only!

By ChadH

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,268 posts
  • 189 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 22 days ago by Cloud7
  • Topic is favorited by 101 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240402_190633 (resized).jpg
IMG_0837 (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
208B62BB-BFC2-4887-BF1F-C1553C296DC4 (resized).jpeg
E39892B0-EAE6-405E-8081-1FCCBE1A62BC (resized).png
D7947C2E-4557-4064-80FD-F244F3C06761 (resized).jpeg
20230802_224904 (resized).jpg
20230802_224851 (resized).jpg
IMG_3423 (resized).jpeg
Screen Shot 2023-07-27 at 9.35.26 AM (resized).png
IMG_3415 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3413 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3410 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3411 (resized).jpeg
Screen Shot 2023-07-26 at 11.04.34 AM (resized).png
Screen Shot 2023-07-26 at 11.03.38 AM (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rascal_h.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#279 7 years ago

Would anyone be able to post a top down pic of how their right spinner is attached? I don't think mine is right. Thanks.

#282 7 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Just ordered the colorDMD! My Tommy will be in the Papa Circuit Event at SFGE the weekend of June 10th!

I'm so on the fence. A lot of money... But a huge upgrade.

#284 7 years ago
Quoted from Fmf1952:

I have a Tommy with the Pinsound board. I am interested in the colordmd for Tommy (have put one in my Simpsons). But the website does not have the firmware for Tommy yet. "Lotrbreath" says he is buying one - how will that work without the firmware?

The email says it is released May 6th.

image_(resized).pngimage_(resized).png

#287 7 years ago
Quoted from Number41:

Here's the original position of it - let me know if these work or if you need other angles.

IMG_3010_(resized).JPGIMG_3011_(resized).JPG

Thanks a lot! Mine looks the same I think other than my plastic being different (maybe mine busted or something). Just the ball seems to slow down there sometimes. Maybe just a minor tweak is needed.

image_(resized).jpgimage_(resized).jpg

#290 7 years ago
Quoted from Number41:

Yep, it looks right - and your plastic is fine! It's original and mine is a repro from Pinball Center - I just like how it combines those 2 pieces into 1. I would try using some ultra fine sandpaper to polish the wire of the spinner and apply some synthetic lubricant (I used a Super Lube pen) where it makes contact with the bracket hole. That helped mine a good bit. The right orbit is legendary for slowing down the ball on Tommy haha.

Great advice! I just picked up the game recently and have found a few things that needed fixing. It seems good now except for every once in a awhile it just starts saying Tommy like crazy and the music stops lol. My guess is that it's the mirror switch.

Very cool that you work as an art director / designer. I used to do the same for a software studio down the street from you in Framingham.

If you're ever passing through Wrentham stop by to play some games and tell me all the things that would make my Tommy better haha.

Could you send me the psd or whatever for the Tommy cards if I PM you my email addy? They look great!

#291 7 years ago

Here's my Tommy going bananas.

I think I traced the problem to the models connector for the switch being loose where they connect. I zip tied them together and it seems ok now.

#293 7 years ago
Quoted from Number41:

Weird - it looks like the blinders are trying to open and are stuck too. They usually go off during ball search mode. Sometimes just pushing them up a bit will give them enough clearance to open. I actually had to bend the metal down a little that sits below them. I've heard the repeated "Tommy" mentioned when something is causing the sound board to constantly reboot. Let me know if you managed to fix it up!

As weird as it sounds I really think it was the connector to the mirror being loose. I haven't had the issue since I ziptied them together. Fingers crossed. Thanks!

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#305 7 years ago

The was a Royal Rumble dots teaser that was never used? That's so cool!

Part of me really wants to update, but the other part of me wants to stay true to the original. I'll probably install it at some point.

#314 7 years ago

I'm officially broke now.

image_(resized).pngimage_(resized).png

1 week later
#338 7 years ago
Quoted from Number41:

I'm excited to see that Tommy got the ColorDMD treatment and it looks quite nice in action! As a digital artist and longtime fan of the 90's Broadway production, I dream of seeing a version that really captures the vivid colors of the show. Just for fun I took some screenshots and color tweaked them to look like what I picture in my head. It would be really cool to see it colored like this and have it all truly match the overall art package and branding. I'm sure the colorizing process has technical restraints and is undoubtedly extremely painstaking, but I can dream! If there is a way to make a version like this, I would certainly be willing to help out in any way. I'm interested to know more about the coloring process and how it works. These images below show the released color dots (top), my adjusted colors (bottom), and a photo reference.

Nice edits! Hopefully they see this or let you help with the coloring for a code update!

#344 7 years ago

Holy moly that wasn't the most fun... But success nonetheless!

#346 7 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

LOL at all the stuff on the floor! I feel your pain, but man it looks sweet!

Thanks! I'm always so messy during these projects. Happy with the way it came out though.

#348 7 years ago
Quoted from audihere:

Oh, I thought that was just an extra Pinball3000 cabinet you were working on with your new Dremel tool

Wow! Great memory!

#352 7 years ago
Quoted from Ive:

Yep .. I did *not* enjoy taking the dremel to the speaker panel And boy was that screen a tight fit along the bottom edge on mine. Was more of a mission than I first thought it would be.

Was a first dremel experience and I got nervous with all the molten plastic flying everywhere. I had to slightly elongate my bottom mouthing holes. No amount of bending was going to get it past that bottom lip.

My Tommy is just about perfect except every once in awhile doing a loud speaker crackle and the whole game resets. Kinda annoying.

#355 7 years ago
Quoted from Ive:

Did you find that the screen is *really* tight against the light board ?? I had to remove a few of the lower bulbs - which is slightly disappointing (These Tommy speaker panels are considerably shorter in height than Bally Williams panels.

Yes to both. The screen is right up against the light board and I had to remove some bulbs. A slight bummer.

An even bigger bummer is all my Tommy insanity lately!

#360 7 years ago

Eek! Well, while it could be related I don't believe it's dmd caused. I have this pre-ColorDMD video of the game bugging out.

#373 7 years ago

My Tommy is fixed and not resetting anymore. It was the +5 connector being a little burnt out and some cracked solder on the back. He fixed up the cracks and repinned a bunch of the connections.

#375 7 years ago

Propellor mod added. Thanks to Number41 for the tip!

#377 7 years ago
Quoted from Number41:

I finally got around to making this original factory rubber configuration chart for Tommy. My game still had the original (and very brittle) factory Happ black rubber on it and it was set up a bit differently from the manual. This revised diagram shows the actual factory setup along with some notes. I see a lot of photos out there with missing rubber parts or incorrect placement, so I hope this is useful for anyone who wants to accurately restore and retain the original factory rubber setup for their game. It's a high-resolution file, so be sure to click to expand then save. Enjoy!

Awesome job! This will definitely come in handy. Thanks!

Do you use original black? I think white looks good.

2 years later
#943 4 years ago

Back in the club as of Saturday.

Anyone have any tips for getting a better serve to the upper left flipper? Always seems to be hopping over the flipper. Really tough to make the ramp with any regularity.

#949 4 years ago

Love the Color LED in this game. No modifications to speaker panel and it sits nice!

3 months later
#1018 4 years ago
Quoted from HIPPY:

Just completed a restore on my Tommy. I got with HEP, he installed service rails and told me to get the Spike version. It was easy an they sure are nice. No more pegs, it can be done.

Nice! I did the same with my LW3.

#1019 4 years ago

Has anyone figured out a good paint formula to match the yellow at Lowes?

4 months later
#1183 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

For those interested in the different Pinsound orchestrations I have created with original The Who music, here are clips from the two different versions.
Tommy_Pinballjah_V2
This is based on JULIEN42's orchestration that updated all of the original musical music with music from the Who's Tommy. I have further updated this orchestration with original Who music, with the exception of the missions, which are from the Who's Tommy album.

The Who Greatest_Pinballjah
All of the original music has been replaced with hits from the Who. All missions are various Who songs, all songs from the Tommy album have mostly been replaced. Most music folders include numerous Who songs that will play on a random basis. For example, at the start of each ball, a random Who song will play. Each missions was replaced with a single Who song.

So good! Wish I didn’t my sell my pinsound.

1 week later
#1205 4 years ago
Quoted from Ive:

That isn't factory. Someone has added that.

I guess whatever it’s tied to then. Probably ties into GI. So a regular 555

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

€ 25.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pin-Decals

Lighting - Led
TheDudeMods

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Flipper Parts
TheDudeMods

$ 28.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

€ 27.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

Machine - For Sale
Fairfax, VA
$ 18.95
$ 18.95
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 45.95
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rascal_h.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-whos-tommy-club-can-you-hear-me-members-only?tu=rascal_h and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.