(Topic ID: 142990)

The Who's TOMMY Club - Can you hear me? Members Only!

By ChadH

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,268 posts
  • 189 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 16 days ago by Cloud7
  • Topic is favorited by 101 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240402_190633 (resized).jpg
IMG_0837 (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
208B62BB-BFC2-4887-BF1F-C1553C296DC4 (resized).jpeg
E39892B0-EAE6-405E-8081-1FCCBE1A62BC (resized).png
D7947C2E-4557-4064-80FD-F244F3C06761 (resized).jpeg
20230802_224904 (resized).jpg
20230802_224851 (resized).jpg
IMG_3423 (resized).jpeg
Screen Shot 2023-07-27 at 9.35.26 AM (resized).png
IMG_3415 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3413 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3410 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3411 (resized).jpeg
Screen Shot 2023-07-26 at 11.04.34 AM (resized).png
Screen Shot 2023-07-26 at 11.03.38 AM (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider monkfe.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1135 4 years ago

Looking to get into this club...anyone selling let me know...located in the unfortunate state of NJ.....

2 months later
#1207 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Great place for it, was thinking last night this area is way too dark.

maybe a small strip ...like the ones comet sells that tap into the regular sockets...matrix I believe, under the wing? or right on the stainless steel ramp?

1 week later
#1227 4 years ago

So Just bought a Tommy and want to get ready to install a new Pinsound system. Is the main sub 8in? 5.25 for the backbox speakers? Any issue with the height of the sub as my old High Speed had a clearance issue where the playfield would hit the top of the sub when the playfield was up after I installed the larger speaker.

#1229 4 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

I installed a Pinsound board with a PinWoofer sub and no problems with clearance. I started with the pinsound and flipper fidelity sub which also fit fine. Both were 8” subs.

Thanks and I believe the back box speakers are 4in after all....

3 weeks later
#1240 4 years ago

Installed my pinsound today ...question
..how do you toggle between sound versions...on my William's games I use the plus and minus buttons...but how to do with a data east game with no volume buttons?

#1243 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Inside the game, turn toggle to end twice in a row. Should make a sound. I run an USB extension cord and buy cheap USB cards $5. A lot easier and they always work.

You mean the original volume control potentiometer? Twice to the left , once it sounds you've changed over ?

#1252 4 years ago

Just picked up a Tommy and while going through the machine replacing the pins and connectors and such I noted the the CN3 connector on the MPU board (Rottendog MPU004) was originally a 12 pin connector utilizing 10 of the pins. the connector was attached with three of the pins hanging over the edge, with two of the pins not connected to anything. So for those of you who are familiar with installing a Roggendog board- how are this connector supposed to be connected? Are some wire supposed to be moved to another connector? the two wires that are hanging outside are the 5v and blanking to the display board. Everything seems to be working? No response from Rottendog.

2 weeks later
#1257 4 years ago

Just got my Tommy, going through things and have a simple question.. How many balls go in this machine? my lockdown bar decal says 4, but isn't there a 6 ball mulitball in this game?

2 weeks later
#1260 4 years ago

Anyone install the shaker motor by Pinsound? Curious as to how its different than the stock Data East one...I see it has various level adjustment and that it can be activated at any point in the game. I don't have a shaker motor in my Tommy so nothing to compare it to...(plus I still haven't got it to boot).

2 weeks later
#1273 3 years ago
Quoted from jrawlinson_2000:

My Tommy left VUK (acid queen) is kicking out between the flippers.
What is the best way to adjust the kick-out?

Having the same issue, I had to use a wood epoxy and fill three of the holes, re-aligned the whole unit, and then after testing, re-drilled new holes(right next to the old pretty much). but now it hits the right flipper enough not to drain.

#1275 3 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Are you guys talking about the scoop on the left next to the upper flipper? Mine has always kicked to middle of the left flipper.

That's the one I'm talking about....I believe I tried going both ways with it....not sure how everyone else's shoots...could always try the other way (left flipper)

1 week later
#1280 3 years ago

Installed my Pinglides today...playfield slides in like butter now...without the huge "bang bang bang" https://www.marcospecialties.com/control/keywordsearch?SEARCH_STRING=Pinglides

#1282 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Could you post a picture of these installed. Are they difficult to put in and I assume they work for a DE given they are made for a Stern? Thanks a lot.

Easy to install, having the forward bracket installed helps a lot too.

20200510_110830 (resized).jpg20200510_110830 (resized).jpg20200510_110921 (resized).jpg20200510_110921 (resized).jpg15891234866443439923868497801137 (resized).jpg15891234866443439923868497801137 (resized).jpg

#1287 3 years ago

So I'm having an issue with my blinders not working. I just replaced the old control board and servo with TNT's updated board. I have all my power supplies, and I'm able to adjust the closed position, but it doesn't activate them at all when in test mode. I'm also not seeing any signal (logic probe) at pin9 at CN2. Can anyone offer some insight as to what kind of signal I should be seeing here....

edit...fixed...a bad trifurcon connection at the board...all working now...damm its hard to play with blinders!

1 week later
#1296 3 years ago

So I went to install my new propeller today, and snapped off the screw that holds it onto the motor shaft. I'm going to have to remove it and attempt to carefully remove the screw. Does anyone know where to get one of these motors if it doesn't work out? Marco doesnt have it in stock

#1299 3 years ago

Yeah I found that too, but it doesn't have the threaded portion which is where I snapped off the screw....

1 week later
#1307 3 years ago
Quoted from Ive:

Ah ..ok
Part number for that is 530-5268-00 Propeller Shaft
You prob know that. And I can't see it listed FS anywhere.

Actually I did not have that, but able to remove the broken screw...and all back up and running again...

1 month later
#1312 3 years ago
Quoted from Ive:

I had an LCD one in mine for a time. I found the colours just seemed a little muted - I'm guessing they look more vibrant with the LED version.

I didn't see an option for the LCD from Colordmd...was this something they once offered?...I was told the size of the DMD was the issue with the LCD and that's why only the LED is now offered for the Tommy.

2 weeks later
#1317 3 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

I installed an EnerGI board which took care of the LED flashing issue. It makes the pulsing of the LEDs like incandescent. Totally a must if you go LED otherwise the flashing is really too much to deal with. Not sure if the board is still in production, but I’ve seen it available on occasion used and I think there might be other boards that do the same.
Check out this thread:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/led-gi-smoother-for-data-east/page/9#post-5678834
Check out the creator’s site:
https://sites.google.com/site/energimaestro/home

I don't believe these are available anymore. I did manage to find one used though...If you know otherwise let me know as I need one for another machine I'm working on...

#1319 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

I would love to get that for my Tommy as well. Any idea where you can unplug the connector to stop the flashing and just have the bulbs stay on? Not sure which board and which slot. Thanks.

There are some adjustments on the board, but I've never played with it and left it as it came...So I can't answer that specifically. I did turn the flash level down to the minimum level as I recall though.

3 weeks later
#1338 3 years ago
Quoted from Dallas_Pin:

You can also install Stern's playfield support brackets (Spike machines) on DE PF's. Makes it much more secure when pulling the PF up.

Und these

Screenshot_20200901-151132_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20200901-151132_Chrome (resized).jpg
1 week later
#1347 3 years ago

Anyone have a spare speaker grille for a Tommy? I am in need of one. Shoot me a PM if you do.

1 week later
#1357 3 years ago
Quoted from Milltown:

Thanx man
Looking forward to it..
Whats the latest codes to date ? 5.0 ? I hsve a feeling there the original ones stil on board...

You want the modified code...look back a few pages where the details are listed...I think Soren did it...great upgrade

#1369 3 years ago
Quoted from bsrhardy:

Hey guys, looking at a potential Tommy. Did they all originally come with the blinders? If so and they are missing, what is the drama with getting repros and adding them back in. Thanks in advance, I need the Silver Ball!!!

TNT sells an upgraded servo board and new servo for around 80.00, blinds themselves not included

3 weeks later
#1448 3 years ago
Quoted from Sandman454:

Hi all. I have had my Tommy for a bit over 5 years now and still love it.
I have tinkered and added bits over the years and think I have got it to where I want it for now. But want to add colour DMD. Has anyone got led v lcd on Tommy machine please.
See YouTube link of video of Tommy.
I have added plane lighting and blinking less to explosions in back area, lighting to rear of playfield and pop bumpers. Also to launch lane and trough areas.
Blue lighting to scoops and also Holiday area and blue captive ball. Different coloured less to Main Union Jack to tie in with other inserts for modes.
Possibly a few other bits and pieces.
Hope you like.
Hopefully Next up colour DMD and Pinsound. But shipping and dollar exchange rate is a killer at the moment to Australia.

If you're talking about the color dmd that colordmd.com sells, he only sells this in the LED format for Tommy due to height issues I believe I was told by him...now if your going to go with some of those other led panels I've seen some install...I don't know about those...I like it though...I mean what's not to like about a color screen....

#1505 3 years ago
Quoted from Milltown:

Holy shit pinsound rules...
Any body know how to low volume overide ?
I camt seem to chsnge soundtracks ? I belive they loaded 5 diff sound packages . but I can't for the life of me get the volume low enough to do so ?

You have to make one adjustment on the menu (the machines menu)as I recall...minimum volume as I recall, changing sound tracks is done by turning the volume all the way to 0 then up again...this is where the external headset is nice as you just turn the knob down(twice) , then up then it changes the sound to the next one...

#1512 3 years ago
Quoted from Milltown:

Is there a gi ocd board out there for data east ?
I installed led and sure could use it...

enerGI maestro board, but they're no longer made. I found one used

#1521 3 years ago
Quoted from lhammer610:

The speaker grills with the Union Jack on them are crucial to the look of the game. But after upgrading my speakers, along with the PinSound card, I am a bit disappointed in the high end. Those metal grills are fine for the original terrible speakers with no high end. But I would like to replace them with something more sonically transparent.
Has anyone developed an aftermarket Tommy improved speaker grill? Or even a new DMD / speaker holder, better than the original plastic, that might allow something bigger than 4" speakers?

I have the same issue with the speakers I have (replacement but an upgrade over the stock paper), I have to keep the volume down a bit to keep it from distorting. I thought I heard that Lighted pinball mods was coming out with a speaker panel for DE machines, but haven't heard anything. Using Pinsound BTW...I use 5-1/4 in my B/W games that they're fine.

#1541 3 years ago
Quoted from lhammer610:

After installing the PinSound upgrade, I find that it is a nice improvement. But am not satisfied with the sound quality. I installed upgraded speakers - from Parts Express.
My next move is to mod the cabinet bottom and put in a bigger woofer. My upgrade is the same diameter as the original - 6" I think. Later Whitestar have 8" - not sure of the sizes, but that makes a big difference. I would like to mod it to put a 10" in there.
But before that, I need to replace the bottom wood piece. It got wet at some point it the pin's history (before me).
I am disappointed in the clarity of the high end. My now ancient ears are not great, but I can hear that this is not good. I guess I was expecting too much and thinking it would sound as good as my expensive sound system. I am hoping to master the controls to smooth things out. But I think some of the problem are the speaker grills. Also, 4" triaxial speakers are never going to sound as good as separate mid-range and tweeters.
Has anyone ever come up with an elegant way to hang small external speakers on the backbox? Either on the top or the sides? I don't like the idea of drilling into the sides of the backbox, so they would have to attach either via the back, hidden at the top, or hang from the bottom of the backbox.

Why not just go with an external sub...way better sound without any glass rattle issues...let me know what you come up with with the backbox speakers

#1548 3 years ago
Quoted from Milltown:

External powered sub is key.. I score them,all the time at goodwill stores for 5 to,10 bucks...i have 1 on all my machines...

you can actually use a mixing type unit to use one sub unit on many machines...I'll try and find a link later...

3 weeks later
#1700 3 years ago

I will second these (Pinglides) ...huge difference in the difficulty of reinstalling the playfield....I also got rid of those "posts" that the playfield sits on and went with Sterns Playfield support bracket...much better

20201124_062244 (resized).jpg20201124_062244 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#1722 3 years ago

Screenshot_20201201-154559_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20201201-154559_Chrome (resized).jpg

Can you confirm which playfield support bracket worked (part #; source)? There seem to be various versions available.
Thanks,
Randy

These
Screenshot_20201201-154559_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20201201-154559_Chrome (resized).jpg

#1726 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

What do you do about holes for it?

Mounted mine here in the front...the rear holes I just found a bare spot of real estate

20201124_062244 (resized).jpg20201124_062244 (resized).jpg
#1728 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Ok, thanks. So you need to make new holes at the front end?

Not the front, the rear. I used an existing hole hole in the front as pictured.

2 weeks later
#1752 3 years ago
Quoted from cybevenom:

I ordered them from https://www.retrorefurbs.com
It did take some time to arrive but i found them worth it. They look very nice on the machine i think.

Yes that will work for the lamp matrix lights, but this is the GI maestro one...

20201217_074102 (resized).jpg20201217_074102 (resized).jpg
#1754 3 years ago
Quoted from Milltown:

are Those adjustment knobs ? On the board ?

Yes, Its been a while since I installed it and played with it...but yes all adjustments made on the board....unfortunately they are no longer being made...I found this one used....

1 month later
#1787 3 years ago
Quoted from rwredmon:

I bought a stainless steel gazing ball as a replacement Tommy topper, and have been looking at the various posts on mounting it. A couple have gone with just having a plate over the hole in the backbox and threading a long screw up into the ball. Given the thin surface of the ball that doesn't seem really secure.
After looking around further, seems like perhaps a jack nut would be the ideal solution? Something like https://www.grainger.com/product/POP-AVDEL-Jack-Nut-3ZLU8
Or alternatively a well nut such as https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-10-32-tpi-x-5-8-in-Brass-Expansion-Nut-814358/204276054
Anyone tried either of these approaches?
Randy

mine just sits in the existing hole...never had an issue....

1 month later
#1838 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Funny, I played Tommy a few times at friends and fell in love with the game (being a Who fan). Read about the 'blinders' before and had no idea what they were talking about. Then after I bought myself a Tommy, one day the blinders popped out and I was like, what the fuck?? Great feature of the game for sure.

Funny I've had people playing the game for a bit...and I hear "what the fuck" ..and I know just what just happened

4 weeks later
#1853 3 years ago
Quoted from ArgyleRuby:

Just notified that my Pinsound should arrive this week. Do I have to load all the play sounds/music or will it have some default ones pre-loaded (I selected Tommy at check-out from the manufacturer)?

Nothing is pre loaded, just go to their website and download the desired mixes....that board will work on lots of different machines, they want to im sure make sure it fits your machine..so hence the "tommy" version

#1855 3 years ago
Quoted from ArgyleRuby:

Ok, the pinsound has arrived and it has been installed. Even got it to work after some playing around. I do wish there would have been more prominent notice at Pinsound, or anywhere, that the first time your sound package loads it is going to be 15-30 minutes (or more) to complete the audio conversion process. Also, the first couple of times I tried it didn't successfully save the converted sound files so it went through the process all over again when I turned the machine on. I was really starting to get bummed because I didn't really want something that was going to delay gratification by 15-30 minutes each time I turned the machine on.
I did eventually have a positive outcome. I took the flash drive back to my computer and checked the self-diagnosis file. Nothing special noted there. Then I walked through the sound package directories and tried playing some of the WAV files and nothing made a sound in VLC. I thought that was odd. So, I reformatted my drive and put a single sound package in the root and tried again. This time came success! The files were converted and were nearly instantly ready each time I turned on the machine. Yay!
My next question is, is it ok to have more than one sound package on a flash drive? If so, how do I switch packages in game? There is a blurb on Pinsound's website about Data East machines but it doesn't really seem to match my Tommy, at least. It says:
"DATA-EAST, System 11: you can change your sound package on-the-fly (if you have at least 2 different sound packages on the flash drive) by double turning (double tap) to the minimum (on the left) the coin box volume potentiometer"
There are no pots on my coin box door. There is one pot (it looks like a 3-inch screw without a head) on a metal box mounted inside the cabinet that I know is used to turn the volume up and down but I don't think it presses in at all, only turns. Can someone explain how to switch sound packages using the actual Tommy machine as a reference?
Thanks

You're better off getting the headphone adaptor that Pinsound sells...you can just reach down and adjust as needed and a double tap to 0 volume to change music jandra's ...concerning the sound packages, you only have to wait through the loading once, afterward it starts right up in a few seconds...I have noticed that if I have a couple packages it seems to do the second one after a reboot, which is what you seem to have experienced....you should be able to use your original pot btw to ajust your volume....not sure where it connects to the board as I never used it....

#1858 3 years ago
Quoted from ArgyleRuby:

Thanks for the tips. Another Pinsound question while I'm on a roll - if you have multiple packages on a flash drive does it just choose which one to use at start up randomly or should it be alphabetical?

It will stay on what ever you left it on at your last game...

#1860 3 years ago

looks nice...both are good mods...

2 weeks later
#1874 2 years ago
Quoted from bob_e:

I found this fuse in my Tommy.. it is 250 Amp ... is it for the sub woofer ?
[quoted image]

It's probably 250V look for the amp rating

Nevermind... now I see what you're talking about...no that doesn't belong anywhere near a pinball machine...

1 week later
#1878 2 years ago
Quoted from RojerLockless:

I've had my headphone jack sitting on a table for 6 months. Are there any directions to install these? Where the heck do I run the wire from the back board?

Attach to front leg, I run the wire to the rear vent hole that I pop one staple out of, then up to the pinsound board...pretty straightforward

4 months later
#1980 2 years ago

I have a Davi's trough board (opto type replacement) if anyone is interested with wiring harness. 120 shipped . Shoot me a PM if interested....

20211016_080553 (resized).jpg20211016_080553 (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 28.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

€ 25.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pin-Decals

Lighting - Led
TheDudeMods

$ 18.95
Flipper Parts
TheDudeMods

€ 27.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinball Haus

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 45.95
Machine - For Sale
Fairfax, VA
$ 18.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider monkfe.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-whos-tommy-club-can-you-hear-me-members-only?tu=monkfe and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.