(Topic ID: 142990)

The Who's TOMMY Club - Can you hear me? Members Only!

By ChadH

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 1,167 posts
  • 133 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 hours ago by zahner
  • Topic is favorited by 63 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 284 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

3DC02C16-2945-4BF5-ACE1-B1A1D18B591E (resized).jpeg
70C32622-7104-47D5-ACF9-84C47613A91A (resized).jpeg
280AE269-37F6-41E8-8BBA-8406D5AC4D02 (resized).jpeg
9C491D4E-0E5A-443F-B530-9D3DC0D7F515 (resized).jpeg
C757D300-0ACE-4B9C-85C2-1479432C30F9 (resized).jpeg
C77FCAA2-4B54-473A-BF9A-B24E15EC812B (resized).png
FD7C5E7D-8E24-452F-B43D-8C36CAF5A3B1 (resized).jpeg
67EDDADC-0ED3-4918-8CBD-1B260C03EA75 (resized).jpeg
Tommy Translite NEW prv (resized).png
5CB1CCB5-1DB5-4F5A-8E71-1CFE2AC64D89 (resized).jpeg
9C745347-7A23-41B5-BB42-69AC6A49DDF3 (resized).jpeg
E1B643D3-F4B7-450F-8E25-10D7D2232A0F (resized).jpeg
2BE4F305-E685-4C56-92BB-9EE902C609E4 (resized).jpeg
6FD68B94-7D5F-4E0F-AA0E-63DA926872B7 (resized).jpeg
A4081EA4-501F-433D-A50C-508F06732762 (resized).png
snip1 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider majrob.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#149 3 years ago

Merry Christmas Pinsiders,
I am going to look at a Tommy this weekend and was wondering if there is anything I should be on the lookout for? I know the blinders are near impossible to find but what about a thing else?
I greatly appreciate any Intel!

#151 3 years ago

Awesome! Thank you. Are there any unobtanium plastics to look out for? Or common wear spots?

#154 3 years ago

Great info! Thank you much.

2 months later
#226 3 years ago

Count me in! I just found a real nice one here in Northern Virginia. The blinders work, it has the silver ball topper, and the playfield is excellent. The cabinet is not that great though, but who really cares? We have been playing the hell out of it and love it. I need to change out some rubber and slap some new bulbs in there but otherwise everything is good to go. What a great game!

image_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpeg

#228 3 years ago

Totally agree, wish they were in there. Contemplating slapping them on now after the fact. Got a whole bunch of parts coming from Marco to replace everything from rubber, flippers, LEDs , plastics and speakers. Would be pretty sweet to have color dmd come out with Tommy.

3 weeks later
#262 3 years ago

Gents,
Anyone have a nice plastic for Tommy? I am looking for the long one along the left side of the machine.
Thanks!!

#264 3 years ago
Quoted from Number41:

The one that's on eBay now looks pretty scratched up. I'll keep my eyes peeled for others, though.

Awesome, thank you. Yeah that one does seem pretty rough.

1 month later
#297 3 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I have one. It's used and a little bent, but the artwork is in great shape. It's definitely a lot nicer than the one on eBay. It's yours for free if you still need it.

Received this plastic and it is awesome! Thanks Brian, you are a premier example of the Good things about Pinside. Taking care of other Pinsiders.

#298 3 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

Ready for some new Tommy fun?
Check this out...
http://www.pinballcode.com/

No way! Awesome! Is here any way to order the actual ROM chip with the code in it from your website Chad?

2 weeks later
#358 3 years ago

My Tommy is dead after installation too. Followed instructions to the T but once I fired it up I got the display rocking but music cutted out and only had sounds, then the game reset with both flippers pressed, now display and game doesn't work at - only the lights turn on when game is turned on. Ordered a rottendog replacement board for power driver and will hope that makes it right- will report back later.

Also had to remove some light bulbs in backbox to make fit too.

#359 3 years ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

Yes to both. The screen is right up against the light board and I had to remove some bulbs. A slight bummer.
An even bigger bummer is all my Tommy insanity lately!
» YouTube video

I am sorry to hear that but that is the exact issue I had until I swapped he original DMD back in and now I am dead in the water. Will let you know if the new rottendog board fixes the issue

#361 3 years ago

I must have been on the verge of it happening and slapping that adapter piece on the power board included with color DMD put it over the edge - the new board ordered will hopefully do the trick!

#363 3 years ago
Quoted from Dmod:

If you suspect a powe problem you can check with a DMM. The problems you're reporting sound like a logic problem. Logic runs on 5V where the ColorDMD draws its power from 12V. I think it's unlikely to be a power driver problem.
It's more likely that communication on the logic bus is failing due to a ribbon cable being connected improperly or the Whitestar DMD controller board not receiving power.
Can you post a few photos that show the cable connections in the backbox and to the Whitestar and ColorDMD display boards?

Will do! Give me a couple days, out of town, and I will slap some pics as soon as I am back!

#372 3 years ago
Quoted from MAJRob:

My Tommy is dead after installation too. Followed instructions to the T but once I fired it up I got the display rocking but music cutted out and only had sounds, then the game reset with both flippers pressed, now display and game doesn't work at - only the lights turn on when game is turned on. Ordered a rottendog replacement board for power driver and will hope that makes it right- will report back later.
Also had to remove some light bulbs in backbox to make fit too.

The Power Supply Board from Rottendog did the trick. Tommy is back up and kicking ass. Have no idea why the installation screwed up the board except perhaps it was on its last legs? This is my fourth Color DMD and most challenging (not that bad really) but so worth it! ColorDMD did a fantastic job.

The actual mounting piece for me went like this. I used a jigsaw, versus a dremel, to cut out the piece of of plastic to make the Color DMD lay flush. I did not use the spacers and instead just seated the display right up to speaker panel without them. This gave a little bit more clearance between the ColorDMD and the backbox which contains all the GI lights. I also only had to remove 2 lights versus 3 with not using any spacers.

Again, not the easiest installation compared to others but so worth it in the end.

1 month later
#422 3 years ago

Nice pick up, wish mine had the rails that went over the flipper buttons

2 months later
#482 3 years ago

Been gone about a month and got home and my daughter wanted to play me in some pinball. Her choice/favorite, Tommy! I know I am preaching to the choir here but this game is just killer-especially with the color dmd

4 months later
#532 2 years ago

Recommend the Rom you upgrade be Chads new code. He rocked it

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 40.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 86.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Lighting - Led
TheDudeMods
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Oceanside, CA
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Boards
PinSound

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider majrob.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside