(Topic ID: 142990)

The Who's TOMMY Club - Can you hear me? Members Only!

By ChadH

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,268 posts
  • 189 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 22 days ago by Cloud7
  • Topic is favorited by 101 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240402_190633 (resized).jpg
IMG_0837 (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
208B62BB-BFC2-4887-BF1F-C1553C296DC4 (resized).jpeg
E39892B0-EAE6-405E-8081-1FCCBE1A62BC (resized).png
D7947C2E-4557-4064-80FD-F244F3C06761 (resized).jpeg
20230802_224904 (resized).jpg
20230802_224851 (resized).jpg
IMG_3423 (resized).jpeg
Screen Shot 2023-07-27 at 9.35.26 AM (resized).png
IMG_3415 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3413 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3410 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3411 (resized).jpeg
Screen Shot 2023-07-26 at 11.04.34 AM (resized).png
Screen Shot 2023-07-26 at 11.03.38 AM (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jdub03.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#747 6 years ago

Does anyone have a source for the prop motors? Marco seems to be out. My left prop isn't spinning without a little push. Thanks!

#752 6 years ago

Does anyone happen to know the voltage on the prop motors? Looking to replace mine and there are no markings on the motors. Thank you!

4 months later
#806 5 years ago

Anyone installed mirror blades in their Tommy? Any issues with clearance on the playfield sides? I feel like my cabinet might be warped and I don't want to install them only for them to get scratched up right away.

1 week later
#814 5 years ago
Quoted from wackenhut:

Is there a reason why with Tommy, the pinballs seem to go airborne more than other machines?
Thanks!

I used run into this a bit as well compared to my other two machines. After changing the strip behind the targets AND the silver ball I have less airballs than prior. Still have several, but not as much as before. Hope this helps.

5 months later
#858 5 years ago
Quoted from mavantix:

Just joined the club! Need to do a shop job, and my silverball target is pretty much an airball launcher... any fixes for that? Plastic shield or something? It's also pretty warn, has anyone tried re-chroming the plastic part?

As Ive said, check to make sure it isn't bent backwards, also check to make sure everything underneath is tight and your foam is in good shape. These should help quite a bit. Enjoy the game, it's amazing!

2 months later
#875 5 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

Just picked up my first Tommy. Great game, and I've always wanted one. This one has a nice playfield, and great action, cabinet needs a bit of TLC, otherwise a really nice starting point. The game is the air ball champ of the world - one even flew through the gap in the apron during multi-ball. Didn't see it, but I heard a thunk, like a ball landing in cabinet bottom, and low and behold - one actually did. Quickly had my suspicion confirmed that a ball found its way to bottom of the cabinet after it went into ball search mode. Funny.
Question - is returning the playfield to the down position from having it propped up on the "support bracket" as difficult for all of you as it was for me? Wrestled with it until a big thump and it went back in place. Seems like it wants to be lifted from back while moving the PF back in place. I've owned dozens of pins over the last few decades, but this one kind of threw me.
Also, any "just too cool to pass on" mods or otherwise that are unique to Tommy?
Looking forward to breaking this in and then on to a Pinball Magic maybe next year.

Welcome to the club! The playfield may have some warp from being propped over the years. I usually take the time to make sure mine is lined up straight before I lay it down completely. I just put mirror blades on mine, so I am even more cautious. As for the airball issue, put fresh foam behind the silverball and ramp targets. Major improvement.

3 weeks later
#893 5 years ago
Quoted from Don44:

I am thinking about putting a color led display in my Tommy. Do you have to cut the speaker panel to do the color led display?

I also went with the LED to keep with the original look and feel. The LCD will go in, but yes, you do have to make modifications to the speaker panel, also make sure to put window foam or something around it to prevent the light from bleeding up. There are plenty of discussions on pinside for this.

#898 5 years ago
Quoted from Ive:

I do remember he screws on mine being VERY tight. I had to grip the shaft with pliers. Good luck.

I had to replace one of the motors on my Tommy when I got it. At the time the screws are very tight. I wrapped a set of pliers in tape to protect the shaft. Screws came off and no harm done. I also replaced the propellers with black metal propellers and yellow painted tips.

3 months later
#966 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Anyone have any luck finding out about the Union Jack art?

After numerous attempts, no response on my end. I did reach out to another place in Germany that replied saying it was a one off for them and they didn't have the rights to make more. So I gave up.

3 months later
#1028 4 years ago

Hey everyone, I have been talking (slowly) with the guy who did the alternate vinyls for Tommy from pinballrr. He is willing to make another run. The cabinet, backbox and alternate translite would go for about $245 shipped to the US. I just asked him to see if he is willing to come down in price if I order several for the pinside community. Not looking to make a profit, just figured I am not the only one who was interested in doing this. Below is the link for the actual kit, feel free to PM me if you are interested. I am probably going to order in a few weeks, but he is really slow getting back to me. This is the one machine that will never leave my collection, so I thought it would be cool to do something unique. Cheers!

http://pinballrr.com/en/work/142/Vinyl/The_Who's_Tommy_-_Mod#servei

#1034 4 years ago

He doesn't seem to be budging on a group purchase. Has anyone thought of how to tackle the top of the backbox? The kit doesn't have anything for it, I think the yellow would look strange with my topper reflecting it.
Dallas_Pin I would love to have dual Tommys in my collection, but alas I don't have room. My Tommy is just about spotless, so while I want to do this mod, I am a tad hesitant since it will no longer be stock. Was also thinking if I do this, powder coat the rails, door and legs blue to match the Union Jack theme.

#1039 4 years ago
Quoted from MurphyPeoples:

The Re-Theme YT video I saw for the first one of these done, the guy sanded and painted the entire cabinet inside and out white - then applied the decals.

It would be lacking the message at the top with the arrows reflecting the pinball wizard on the ball though. I just asked the pinballrr contact, he said he should be able to make it as well. Figure he has the image, just needs to print it as solid white vinyl instead.

#1050 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

I sent them an email, they won’t reproduce it. For a specific customer. Not sure why they would turn down business? Maybe copyright issues?

I had the same issue, he said it was a one off and he doesn't have license/copyright access.

pinballrr.com is the kit I am considering currently, just wondering how I will like it with all the yellow in the playfield.

2 weeks later
#1104 4 years ago

Quick question for those who have the pinsound board. Did you use the Power Booster cable, or a separate power supply to the board? I have a color dmd in my unit, so I was wondering if the PowerBooster cable does the trick, or I still need to run a dedicated PS to the pinsound board. Thank you!

#1105 4 years ago

Also, for those who were looking into the vinyl mod from pinballrr I just asked them about the top of the backbox, I am going to move forward with it and the alternate translite. Plan to powdercoat the rails and legs blue to match the new color scheme. This will be a long project, but I will post pics when it's complete. Excited to have a custom Tommy!

3 months later
#1216 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Thanks, anyway to know which end is which?

Divot side goes to the right if you match the views in the pics.

1 month later
#1258 4 years ago
Quoted from monkfe:

Just got my Tommy, going through things and have a simple question.. How many balls go in this machine? my lockdown bar decal says 4, but isn't there a 6 ball mulitball in this game?

Six balls, welcome to the club.

1 month later
#1284 3 years ago

Just a friendly share for those that are interested. I upgraded my Tommy with new speakers and a cheap sub over the weekend. I used the blue Pyle 4inch speakers and a Boss 8inch sub. The Pyle speakers fit nicely and there is clearance for them if you have a speaker light kit installed. I have a Pinsound board on order, but figured I would install these in the meantime. The difference in the depth and quality of the sound is pretty significant. You can actually hear the plane flying left to right and the music sounds much better. Great $50 upgrade and about 10 minutes of easy solder and screws. Cheers!

1 week later
#1289 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Looks like the Tommy Translite is now available for sale in the UK:
https://www.retrorefurbs.com/shop/the-whos-tommy-hand-drawn-pinball-translite/?currency=USD
Plus they are doing a Who version of the side decals. Be interested to see how these look installed:
https://www.retrorefurbs.com/shop/the-whos-tommy-hand-drawn-pinball-cabinet-decals/

Yeah, I ordered mine about a week ago. Said it will take about a month to get here. I have the stock one and The Who alternate from them as well. They do solid work.

#1290 3 years ago

So I can't tell if it's my imagination or real. But I feel like my backbox is flashing like crazy lately, the entire box, not just the flashers (which I removed because it was too intense). Is it possible something is going on with a board? I added a pinsound + board to it this week and I feel like it's even worse now. Maybe I am going crazy and it's in my head? I hear the relay clicking like crazy though. Do they go bad?

3 months later
#1340 3 years ago
Quoted from bob_e:

Has anybody made, and sells, new sound chips with the original Who Tommy Album?

Have to install a Pinsound board. They are amazing.

1 month later
#1410 3 years ago
Quoted from Milltown:

Ok im getting ready to order pinsound for tommy.. Any recommendations on extra parts to grab ?
Wich download is preferred .?
I've also added a powered sub ..,
Anything else needed ? Power booster smart to grab ?
Big difference on the neo or pinsound plus ?
Wich is recomended.?

The NEO just came out, so I have no experience on it yet. I have the plus (bought it a few months ago) added new speakers and a cabinet sub. You will want the power booster pack, it's a breeze to setup. Few items of feedback for you:
I installed the board in a matter of minutes, the directions are VERY simple.
I kept the stock speakers in to hear the difference, then added a different sound theme after to compare. The pinsound board did a good job at making the stock speakers better on the stock sound. Once I added a new mix, playing actual Who music, the speakers were inferior so I put in the new speakers. And I have to say WOW, what a difference. I don't have a powered sub on mine as I rarely get to crank it that loud. But I did add the headphone jack for late night play. I have this setup on a couple of my pins.

1 week later
#1438 3 years ago
Quoted from lhammer610:

I restored a Tommy from non-working with 7 blown fuses. It appears that it got a bit wet. I still have to replace the bottom board of the cabinet, but other than that, it is working great.
There are a few issues that I am not happy about. If anyone can give me pointers, I would appreciate it.
* The shot to the VUK is tough. Just getting through the posts is hard and much of the time it bounces out. I installed a Cliffy protector. Am thinking of taking that out and widening the hole just a tad and putting on thinner rubber on the posts.
* Shooting into the scoop on the left is darned near impossible. A normal shot off the right flipper goes up the left loop. I have to let the ball fall off the edge of the flipper to have a chance. Getting the left or right targets is a challenge. I know that the scoop had been bent. It seemed to push the plastic way up. I lowered it a little and twisted it a bit to keep the shot out of the VUK from draining.
* And getting up the right ramp from the upper left flipper is extremely tough.
Comments, suggestions? Adjust the flippers down a bit?[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Some tips for you. The VUK, put an inch of window seal foam in the back. It will prevent you ball bouncing out. For the right ramp, clean the gate and wax the ramp. Also clean the flipper assembly often for the upper third flipper. For the left scoop, I can usually backhand it, but you will get better on the timing for the right flipper as well. I also have more success backhanding from the right flipper to the VUK.

#1439 3 years ago
Quoted from ToucanF16:

Anyone have Pin Stadium in their Tommy?

I considered it, but decided to do a modest LED job and then added mirror blades. Just enough pop and cheaper than pin stadiums.

#1442 3 years ago
Quoted from lhammer610:

I am looking at getting a PinSound board for Tommy. Anyone know if I can install it for Tommy, then if I decide to sell it, remove it and put the board in a WPC pin?
Also, I have spare 32GB USB sticks around. I cannot find what the max size that it can accept. I figure why buy a 16GB when I have unused 32GB sitting around.

You can swap it out. Just need to put the other software package on the card when you install it in the pin, boot to it and wait, then all set. Just make sure the 32gb meets the speed requirements posted on their site. I believe it will read 32gb.

4 weeks later
#1591 3 years ago

Was cleaning my PF tonight and thought I’d share a little. Mirror blades, color DMD, Pinsound card and blue speaker lights.

5601FA77-CECB-4CE0-8B63-B3834BEAC357 (resized).jpeg5601FA77-CECB-4CE0-8B63-B3834BEAC357 (resized).jpeg712B0B6D-8699-472E-9744-69A07A51980D (resized).jpeg712B0B6D-8699-472E-9744-69A07A51980D (resized).jpegA4B1F259-8E9C-4D4B-8AEA-25B69EED6545 (resized).jpegA4B1F259-8E9C-4D4B-8AEA-25B69EED6545 (resized).jpeg
1 week later
#1656 3 years ago
Quoted from RojerLockless:

damn... Items total $ 369.95
Domestic shipping $ 39.95
out of principal... screw 40 dollar shipping on a 400 dollar pinsound wtf lol.

I got mine from K's Arcade instead. In stock there and cheaper shipping.

#1685 3 years ago

amazon.com link »
I kinda wanna replace the subwoofer and just want to do it myself, would this one work fine? Far as I can tell from the thread this should work unless I'm missing something.
Anyone seen the best black Friday sale for a Pinsound board yet?

That one will work just fine. I put that in my Tommy as well. Along with new cabinet speakers. With the Pinsound board, it's a major difference. But even prior the speaker upgrade was fantastic.

#1689 3 years ago

Which wall speakers did you get if you don't mind me asking? As long as they don't take any modifications or extra power I'd be willing to just solder them in or whatever needs to get done.

RojerLockless I used these, they added some depth to the sound. They are a tad deeper, but I have the speaker lights on my machine so I already had longer screws in place. Very simple upgrade.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000230LBI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title

3 months later
#1821 3 years ago

For you "new owners" out there, curious what is the going rate for a Tommy? I rarely see them up for sale and I am on the fence about mine.

1 year later
#2059 2 years ago
Quoted from Scheuejp:

Just joined the Tommy club. Not only My grail pin, but my first pin. So, i have read through a lot of this forum and clearly my issues are the same as everyones issues. My only gripe on this game are the bounce outs which definitely happen more often then not. Bounce outs of the mirror hole and VUK hole. I have seen some people talk about foam in there. Id like to hear from anyone who has been able to achieve 25% or less bounce outs what you did. This game would be perfect but for this one issue for me.
[quoted image]

Welcome to the group, for the VUK, I put a one inch piece of window insulation foam. It's VERY rare the ball bounces out anymore. On the mirror, I can't say I have had any issues on my Tommy. It's been in my collection longer than any pin and has been a blast to own.

2 months later
#2079 1 year ago

Tommy is no longer on the top 100

That list is so subjective to what's hot now and some true loyalists to the B/W era. Heck look at Munsters coming in at 99th place currently and yet since the code update they are in very high demand. Either way, Tommy is a diamond in the rough IMO.

2 months later
#2107 1 year ago
Quoted from Hogey:

Received my Pinsound order. Now I see the power booster for DE games. Have you had experience with that? I didn't know about it and didn't order it. Hoping I won't need to. Any help?
Thanks.

You will want the booster, card can act erratic without it. Gets you consistent 12v for the board, DE power can be flaky at times.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Fairfax, VA
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 18.95
$ 18.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

€ 25.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pin-Decals

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.95
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinball Haus

Flipper Parts
TheDudeMods

$ 18.95
€ 27.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

Lighting - Led
TheDudeMods

$ 28.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jdub03.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-whos-tommy-club-can-you-hear-me-members-only?tu=jdub03 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.