(Topic ID: 142990)

The Who's TOMMY Club - Can you hear me? Members Only!

By ChadH

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,268 posts
  • 189 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 16 days ago by Cloud7
  • Topic is favorited by 101 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240402_190633 (resized).jpg
IMG_0837 (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
208B62BB-BFC2-4887-BF1F-C1553C296DC4 (resized).jpeg
E39892B0-EAE6-405E-8081-1FCCBE1A62BC (resized).png
D7947C2E-4557-4064-80FD-F244F3C06761 (resized).jpeg
20230802_224904 (resized).jpg
20230802_224851 (resized).jpg
IMG_3423 (resized).jpeg
Screen Shot 2023-07-27 at 9.35.26 AM (resized).png
IMG_3415 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3413 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3410 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3411 (resized).jpeg
Screen Shot 2023-07-26 at 11.04.34 AM (resized).png
Screen Shot 2023-07-26 at 11.03.38 AM (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gohigh54.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#840 5 years ago

Hello all,

Picked up my first pin ever a few weeks ago and it is a Tommy! Played the game earlier this year and fell in love with it and now it is mine. It is a nice original example with an aftermarket ball topper. There are a few minor bumps and scratches, but otherwise really nice. The play field looks great to my untrained eye, with only some paint chipping around the VUK. There are a few lines were the ball rolls a lots, but it seems to come off with a little cleaning.

In the process of fixing a bunch of small items, I ordered two VUK plastic parts. Both are really nice, but the yellow color is orange. One was from Ebay and the other was from Bay Area Amusements. Neither matches anything on my machine. Does anyone have a source for more accurate units?

Here are some of the mods I put on since purchase:
ColorDMD
Upgraded Props
ROM V5
Replaced all rubber
Replaced the blinder server controller/motor (TNT)
Union Jack flipper overlays
Hole protector set

Future plans:
LEDs
Pinsound
Rebuild VUK relay (takes a few tries every once in a while)

Thank you,
Keith

1 year later
#1315 3 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

I just installed a Color DMD into my Tommy. Love it. I went with LED and it looks fantastic.

I have the LED and I can not agree more that it is fantastic. I also installed the full pinballbulbs led kit. The results are fantastic. It makes the play field much more modern. The only thing is that I had to disable all of the flashing which I do not miss at all.

#1320 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

I would love to get that for my Tommy as well. Any idea where you can unplug the connector to stop the flashing and just have the bulbs stay on? Not sure which board and which slot. Thanks.

There is a two pin connector on the power board on the top upper left in the back box. Here is a link talking about it. I can get the exact pins next week for you.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/led-gi-smoother-for-data-east#post-2089154

#1322 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

That would be very helpful, appreciate it.

Here is a picture that show which connector from the power board in the back box. This is the top left board. The connector is between CN8 and CN2 which is the second down from the top on the left side of the board.

It took me an hour after installing LEDs to figure out how to disable this. I do not miss the flashing one bit nor do I miss the relay clicking.

Tommy power bd (resized).jpgTommy power bd (resized).jpg
#1324 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Thanks for that. Hopefully it doesn't control anything else.

It does not. This is the power to the blinking relay. Nothing to worry about.

2 weeks later
#1344 3 years ago

I put in a pinsound and it is amazing. I have not upgraded my speakers, but I do not think that it is needed. Put in the pinsound and see how it sounds first.

1 month later
#1519 3 years ago
Quoted from Milltown:

Is there a gi ocd board out there for data east ?
I installed led and sure could use it...

Guessing the flashing is driving you crazy? You can pull a wire off to disable the flashing. I posted instructions and pics a few months ago on this thread. Works like a charm.

3 months later
#1791 3 years ago
Quoted from rwredmon:

I bought a stainless steel gazing ball as a replacement Tommy topper, and have been looking at the various posts on mounting it. A couple have gone with just having a plate over the hole in the backbox and threading a long screw up into the ball. Given the thin surface of the ball that doesn't seem really secure.
After looking around further, seems like perhaps a jack nut would be the ideal solution? Something like https://www.grainger.com/product/POP-AVDEL-Jack-Nut-3ZLU8
Or alternatively a well nut such as https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-10-32-tpi-x-5-8-in-Brass-Expansion-Nut-814358/204276054
Anyone tried either of these approaches?
Randy

You could drill a hole and put in a nutcert or rivitnut. Then you could put a plate inside the backbox and thread a bolt through it to the nutcert on your ball. Should hold very well.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
€ 25.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pin-Decals

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinball Haus

Flipper Parts
TheDudeMods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Lighting - Led
TheDudeMods

$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 18.95
$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 18.95
Machine - For Sale
Fairfax, VA
€ 27.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 28.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gohigh54.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-whos-tommy-club-can-you-hear-me-members-only?tu=gohigh54 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.