(Topic ID: 142990)

The Who's TOMMY Club - Can you hear me? Members Only!

By ChadH

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 1,160 posts
  • 133 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 31 minutes ago by pinballjah
  • Topic is favorited by 63 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 283 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

70C32622-7104-47D5-ACF9-84C47613A91A (resized).jpeg
280AE269-37F6-41E8-8BBA-8406D5AC4D02 (resized).jpeg
9C491D4E-0E5A-443F-B530-9D3DC0D7F515 (resized).jpeg
C757D300-0ACE-4B9C-85C2-1479432C30F9 (resized).jpeg
C77FCAA2-4B54-473A-BF9A-B24E15EC812B (resized).png
FD7C5E7D-8E24-452F-B43D-8C36CAF5A3B1 (resized).jpeg
67EDDADC-0ED3-4918-8CBD-1B260C03EA75 (resized).jpeg
Tommy Translite NEW prv (resized).png
5CB1CCB5-1DB5-4F5A-8E71-1CFE2AC64D89 (resized).jpeg
9C745347-7A23-41B5-BB42-69AC6A49DDF3 (resized).jpeg
E1B643D3-F4B7-450F-8E25-10D7D2232A0F (resized).jpeg
2BE4F305-E685-4C56-92BB-9EE902C609E4 (resized).jpeg
6FD68B94-7D5F-4E0F-AA0E-63DA926872B7 (resized).jpeg
A4081EA4-501F-433D-A50C-508F06732762 (resized).png
snip1 (resized).JPG
B8D7CE64-56EE-4804-8301-C3BD1797513F (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider djshakes.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#487 3 years ago

I won a Tommy on ebay tonight. Now I just have to arrange shipping. Sounds like the seller won't offer much assistance. I'm hoping sti will lower the back box and wrap it a bit?

Also, is there an update rom that evens out the scoring, etc?

2 weeks later
#489 3 years ago

Well I got my game today and definitely not what I expected. It has been pretty abused. Cabinet and back box are rough, really rough. Bondo, bad touch ups everywhere, chunks of wood missing, water damage, lots of rust under playfield. Blinder setup and board completely missing. Dmd out gassing really bad. It's a reimport. Playfield is decent other than two flipper bracket screws that popped through. Ugh. It plays fine other than half the time when the ball drains it doesn't register. It goes into ball search mode but still doesn't pop a ball out. I'm getting familiar with the data east menu screen. I ran a switch edge test and I can get all the switches in trough to register. Then none work. Then they all work. Strange. What could cause this?

1 week later
#492 3 years ago
Quoted from bob_e:

Who would be interested in a reproduction base plate for the blinders in their Tommy pin?
Please send me a PM if you are interested. I am not taking orders at this time. Just wondering if there is anyone interested.
I plan on making one prototype to test in my personal game and get an idea how much it cost me in time and materials. I have access to the machinery in the tool shop where I work. The base will be solid steel not a stamping, the shaft will be steel too pressed into the base. I have been making a replacement servo and arm assembly and selling them here on Pinside. Which came about when I was selling a Tommy for a friend and it needed the servo and driver board.
Now that I have my own Tommy I have the actual part to measure and replicate. My game is missing: the blinders, servo/arm, & driver board. I have ordered a set of 3D printed blinders from "BigLebowski" a pinside member. The Spring: from Pinball Spare Parts Australia. And a servo driver board from: Best of Pinball in Germany, which is made by Pinnovations.
Bob E.

I would be interested. My Tommy is missing everything. I wonder how much it will cost to get blinders going in total.

#495 3 years ago
Quoted from MauriceSTYS:

It may be worth noting that you can also get a custom-designed blinder replacement from user Bakerman for ~190 € which includes everything (bracket, arm, spring, blinders, motor, screws) except for the driver board.
With it being a custom design, no original parts can be used to fix it if it breaks though, and the long term durability has not been proven yet.
I haven't had any problems with mine for half a year now.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/another-tommy-blinders-repro

This Might be Worth It. $400 I Would Probably Pass.

#499 3 years ago
Quoted from bob_e:

Knowing the cost of replacing missing items from your game can give you leverage or insight, when buying a Tommy that is missing some or all of the parts.
I can upgrade to a color DMD for about $369, is it worth it to replace a display in good working order? I have yet to buy one,
But if my current DMD need to be replaced at $179 then I would consider the upgrade.

Yeah, my dmd is bad. However, you can buy good used ones for $80. So it's $80 vs $369. I think I will buy a color just to rotate in and out of machines. I have a Congo, shadow and tommy.

After negotiating a partial refund on my Vietnamese dirty whore Tommy, I'm into the machine for $2200 shipped. It is a Vietnamese reimport beat to shit. However playfield is decent and after I worked on it plays like a champ. I kind of like the character. I know most pin guys are all about condition but this will be my old Chevy that keeps running. I upgraded to all leds and getting the prop mod. I don't want to put to much into it because it would literally be putting lipstick on a pig. So far I enjoy it and think the sounds and callouts are great. Outlanes are a bitch. Damn they are a bitch.

#501 3 years ago

Has anyone noticed the small predrilled holes above their outlane posts? They look like flipper alignment holes. I think these can be used to move your outlanes up. I think I'm going to drill them and move up my posts.

1 week later
#506 3 years ago

Anyone know where you can get the British flag cabinet decals? Saw a restoration done with these on youtube. Looks sick.

3 weeks later
#514 2 years ago

Has anyone ever experienced a tilt error on multiball? I was rocking it, blinders out after both jackpot shots. Hammering away on flippers and the game tilted out and shut down. The blinders opened and closed multiple times during the tilt phase. Seemed to last longer than normal and I got no danger warning. It was almost like the machine glitched out. Sucks because I was having a hell of a game. I didn't physically tilt.

#518 2 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

Was it a slam tilt? Or a regular tilt?
There is no warning with a slam tilt... this is triggered by the switch in the door. When it happens, the display shows SLAM TILT and the ball ends immediately.
The normal tilt is the one that is controlled by the plumb bob tilt mechanism on the left side inner wall. This one is the one that will give you DANGER warnings, and then will display TILT when you've hit it too many times.

Wasn't a slam tilt. You really have to beat the shit out of a machine for that to happen. I have never had that happen. Maybe I tilted but I was just hitting the flipper buttons. My assumption was with so much going on the machine couldn't keep up and shut down.

#523 2 years ago
Quoted from kilmarnock1350:

Sounds like a phantom slam tilt. This happens when the switch matrix gets tricked into thinking the slam tilt switch is closed.
I've trouble shot on Williams machines and fixed it. But not on data east.
Check out phantom slam tilts in search.
such as: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wpc-95-gameplay-issues
Pretty sure there's some pinwiki about phantom closures as well.
See if this helps! Check every diode and connection. It HAS to be a combination of 4 switches closing at same time... and the slam tilt is one of them. Get out the matrix and and start looking at possible combinations. It's a pain in the butt... but solves a MAJOR problem.
If it only happens in multiball... I'd start with trough switches since those are normally closed during non-multiball game play.

It only happened once. Let's see if it happens again.

#524 2 years ago

I added a little something to my propeller mod.

1223161643[1] (resized).jpg

1 month later
#565 2 years ago

21776 (resized).jpeg

3 months later
#623 2 years ago
Quoted from chriswhitey:

What do you think of LED's in Tommy? I love original lamps but I've seen TNT do LED's and they look AMAZING.. esp. adding white led's inside Capt. Walkers Bomber and Red LED's on the wings... Less heat, less energy, last longer and look great

I run leds in all my games. No comparison to incandescents. Game is so much brighter and you can play in the dark.

#624 2 years ago
Quoted from chriswhitey:

What do you think of LED's in Tommy? I love original lamps but I've seen TNT do LED's and they look AMAZING.. esp. adding white led's inside Capt. Walkers Bomber and Red LED's on the wings... Less heat, less energy, last longer and look great

I run leds in all my games. No comparison to incandescents. Game is so much brighter and you can play in the dark.

3 months later
#659 2 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

All the switches you mention are in the same row. Check all the switches in this row.

Exactly. Most likely a bad diode on one of the switches.

1 year later
#859 1 year ago
Quoted from mavantix:

Just joined the club! Need to do a shop job, and my silverball target is pretty much an airball launcher... any fixes for that? Plastic shield or something? It's also pretty warn, has anyone tried re-chroming the plastic part?

This is my fix for any stand up on any game. Rip off the shitty foam backing and super glue a piece of flipper rubber in place of the foam. It's amazing the result. Air balls gone. And like previous poster said, make sure target backing is straight.

This is one of the best things I've learned in pinball.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider djshakes.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside