(Topic ID: 142990)

The Who's TOMMY Club - Can you hear me? Members Only!

By ChadH

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,268 posts
  • 189 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 22 days ago by Cloud7
  • Topic is favorited by 101 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240402_190633 (resized).jpg
IMG_0837 (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
208B62BB-BFC2-4887-BF1F-C1553C296DC4 (resized).jpeg
E39892B0-EAE6-405E-8081-1FCCBE1A62BC (resized).png
D7947C2E-4557-4064-80FD-F244F3C06761 (resized).jpeg
20230802_224904 (resized).jpg
20230802_224851 (resized).jpg
IMG_3423 (resized).jpeg
Screen Shot 2023-07-27 at 9.35.26 AM (resized).png
IMG_3415 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3413 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3410 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3411 (resized).jpeg
Screen Shot 2023-07-26 at 11.04.34 AM (resized).png
Screen Shot 2023-07-26 at 11.03.38 AM (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bsrhardy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1366 3 years ago

Hey guys, looking at a potential Tommy. Did they all originally come with the blinders? If so and they are missing, what is the drama with getting repros and adding them back in. Thanks in advance, I need the Silver Ball!!!

#1373 3 years ago

Well we are in!!!! Just picked up our Tommy, it needs a good bit of work, but I am actually looking forward to it. It plays great, but just needs a ton of TLC. Here is what wows me. We currently own 3 other pins Star W Prem, GB Pro, and JP Prem, all of them show dimpling and really aren't that old. Tommy is a 26 year old machine that was on route and probably has 50,000 plays (i'm guessing) and the playfield looks great. what the hell has happened to QA now a days.

For the current owners out there, what is the best source for parts? Need to replace the mirror, the bomber has a crack in it etc....

Also, how in the hell do I work on the cabinet? Point me in the right direction. Thanks.

Ain't got no distractions......

#1380 3 years ago

How is yours all lit up like that. Even before the LEDs. The one I bought seems dark as hell, and the trans light just illuminates TOMMY with an occasional burst from the lower lights in it. The slings are never lit and the outlanes just light occasionally.

Since I am brand new to this machine, I just don't know what I don't know. But I do know it is super dark. On the first shot, the only thing, and I mean only thing, on the board that is lit is the skill shot.

#1404 3 years ago

I said it was dark, here is quick and shitty video of my Tommy and the darkness......oh the darkness.....

Not sure I posted the video correctly. I do not see an embed icon..

https://vimeo.com/464424728

1 week later
#1426 3 years ago

New to the older games, my Tommy flippers just stopped working. One minute good, next nothing. Where to start? Any assistance is appreciated. Just need a path.

#1429 3 years ago

Thanks Hippy, by the flipper cabinet switches, do you mean the internal parts of the buttons themselves? I downloaded a manual and know where the fuses are, but cabinet switches are not annotated anywhere.

#1430 3 years ago
Quoted from HIPPY:

The first thing to check is the flipper board, it has the flipper fuses. Leave the game on and hit the flipper buttons, one at a time. Look for a red led to light on the flipper board when hit. 2 for the left,1 for the right. Check the flipper cabinet switches, too. Yes, a manual is a must.
The flipper board is under the Playfield, mounted on the left wall. Hope this helps.

Thanks Hippy. Followed the flow chart, SSFB was getting LED illumination, and 79V to the CN2 pins 11,12. Checked the PPB and the F5 fuse was good, all fuses were good. Checked the J7 pins 1,2,3 on the PPB and was getting 79v as well. According to the flowchart, i am looking at a new SSFB.

Does this jive with what others have found? Anything the flowchart did not address that may be the cause?

2 weeks later
#1529 3 years ago

We are working through Some issues with our Tommy. We looked at the manual but can’t seem to find where this bundle of wires goes. If anyone has a chance can they take a look and see what they are hooked up to. They are right in the front of the cabinet.
D1500C3E-C4E3-45A9-865C-3BA1F261E413 (resized).jpegD1500C3E-C4E3-45A9-865C-3BA1F261E413 (resized).jpeg

#1530 3 years ago

I'm going to piggyback on my previous post, so all of you that were waiting to answer, you can now post away.

We have lost all power to the coils for the slings, pops and flippers. I do have the manual. I used the flowchart and have replaced the SSFB with the Rottendog board. I am seeing the LED illuminate on the board when pushed, the switches are all registering for the pops and slings. Just the coils. I have tested and just because they were so old, replaced all the fuses. It looks like a fuse, walks like a fuse and smells like a fuse, but alas, not a fuse. I am a bit lost.

Anyone??

Thanks.

#1534 3 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Look very closely at all your power supply connectors for any signs of connectors overheating/burning. In particular, the pops and slings get their power from CN3, pin 6.

Checked CN3 Pin 6, no signs of damage heat or burn.

9 months later
#1941 2 years ago

Holy mother of boards, after about 6 months, finally got a working CPU board back into my Tommy. I have a couple of issues that I was wondering if anyone might give some insight on.

When powering up, the matrix says "Open Door", which I do. Then it seems to boot normally. Haven't seen that before.

Also, lost all of the playfield lights. I have the manual, but I cannot seem to pin down the fuse for them, i just may be too close to the forest.

Finally, mirror not going down for multi ball. All was working on the old board before it crapped out, so I am at a loss as nothing changed. Thanks for any help or direction pointing.

#1943 2 years ago
Quoted from JStoltz:

I want to say the "Open Door" message is related to a low battery, and indicates the RAM (settings, high scores, etc) has been cleared. Probably a good time to get an NVRAM replacement anyway.
Does your mirror motor work in test mode? I had an issue where a solder joint had snapped off the "mirror down" limit switch, making it so that the mirror would try to lower but never "found" the low limit.

Crap you're right about the battery. There isn't one. I need to remedy that immediately, just have two wires where the battery was. Ill fix that and move on. thanks.

#1945 2 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Is it the GI or the insert lights that are out?

All of the inserts. G.I. Working fine.

#1948 2 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Also ck CN4-CN7 on CPU to make sure they are plugged in correctly.

WILCO, thanks.

#1950 2 years ago

Thanks for all the help from this community. I am almost there. The only thing kicking my ass is this mirror test.

I can get in DIAG, GOTO Mirror Test, but can only test the UP. I cannot seem to find a way to test the DOWN. I cannot, even trying every button, to get the test to change to DOWN.

I need a bit of handholding here. Thoughts or guidance.

#1953 2 years ago

Perfect, thanks for the help. I can hear it clicking but it doesn't move. Time to replace.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 18.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Flipper Parts
TheDudeMods

$ 45.95
$ 18.95
Lighting - Led
TheDudeMods

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinball Haus

$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 28.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.95
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Machine - For Sale
Fairfax, VA
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

€ 27.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

€ 25.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pin-Decals

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bsrhardy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-whos-tommy-club-can-you-hear-me-members-only?tu=bsrhardy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.