(Topic ID: 142990)

The Who's TOMMY Club - Can you hear me? Members Only!

By ChadH

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,268 posts
  • 189 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 22 days ago by Cloud7
  • Topic is favorited by 101 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240402_190633 (resized).jpg
IMG_0837 (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
208B62BB-BFC2-4887-BF1F-C1553C296DC4 (resized).jpeg
E39892B0-EAE6-405E-8081-1FCCBE1A62BC (resized).png
D7947C2E-4557-4064-80FD-F244F3C06761 (resized).jpeg
20230802_224904 (resized).jpg
20230802_224851 (resized).jpg
IMG_3423 (resized).jpeg
Screen Shot 2023-07-27 at 9.35.26 AM (resized).png
IMG_3415 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3413 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3410 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3411 (resized).jpeg
Screen Shot 2023-07-26 at 11.04.34 AM (resized).png
Screen Shot 2023-07-26 at 11.03.38 AM (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Svend.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#899 5 years ago
Quoted from Number41:

Has anyone here installed a GIzmo (herg's little LED GI smoother) in their Tommy? I've had OCD-controlled LEDs under my inserts for a while and recently tried switching to LEDs in my GI. The extra brightness is nice, but I'm not a fan of how harsh it makes the GI blinking. Caker137's EnerGI Maestro board is currently waitlisted, so I was wondering if the GIzmo might be a good (and cheaper) solution if I just want basic smoothing. There's a note that the fit is very tight on Tommy, so I'm curious about that as well. If anyone has any insights, thanks!

I have, and this works.

2 years later
#1961 2 years ago

Hi guys, I'm ordering a new rubber kit for my Tommy and I was suprised to see that the game actually uses 17x 1/2" post sleeves (marked by H in the picture), apparently below the rubber ring in the same position. I currently do not have these installed.

Am I correct that these 1/2 sleeves should go below the rubber ring and around the plastic post (which have the dent which holds the rubber ring)?

Thanks!

6598a90c889babcb0d0604b5685e3eed (resized).jpg6598a90c889babcb0d0604b5685e3eed (resized).jpg
1 month later
#1974 2 years ago

I have an odd (and old) problem with my Tommy, I think it is somehow related to the power supply.

Up to 4 years ago I ran my Tommy with a LED OCD, but I would see issues with jackpots randomly being score during multiball. I removed the LED OCD (and moved the machine to my work) and it ran perfectly again.

I have now again moved the game a few months ago and it has run good, apart from the occasional slow start from the DMD (garbage till apr. 20 seconds after booting) and sometimes the CPU appeared to run at half speed: Lamps would flash slow, sounds would play delayed.

Now, tonight I have also reinstalled the LED OCD and the DMD now fails to start often, I have seen the CPU issue multiple times and the random jackpots during multiball have returned.

Is there any chance that the LED OCD draws extra current from the lamp matrix circuit and messes up a lot of other other things? I played a game with the multimeter hooked up to the 5V CPU test point, and it was rock steady between 4,88V - 4,90V which is a good value I think.

Any advice welcome, thanks!

#1976 2 years ago

I'm not talking about a LED color DMD, but about a LED OCD board used to fade the insert leds

1 year later
#2162 1 year ago
Quoted from Svend:

I have an odd (and old) problem with my Tommy, I think it is somehow related to the power supply.
Up to 4 years ago I ran my Tommy with a LED OCD, but I would see issues with jackpots randomly being score during multiball. I removed the LED OCD (and moved the machine to my work) and it ran perfectly again.
I have now again moved the game a few months ago and it has run good, apart from the occasional slow start from the DMD (garbage till apr. 20 seconds after booting) and sometimes the CPU appeared to run at half speed: Lamps would flash slow, sounds would play delayed.
Now, tonight I have also reinstalled the LED OCD and the DMD now fails to start often, I have seen the CPU issue multiple times and the random jackpots during multiball have returned.
Is there any chance that the LED OCD draws extra current from the lamp matrix circuit and messes up a lot of other other things? I played a game with the multimeter hooked up to the 5V CPU test point, and it was rock steady between 4,88V - 4,90V which is a good value I think.
Any advice welcome, thanks!

Long overdue update, but this issue has been solved. It turned out it was not related to the LED OCD board or the power supply board (which I also replaced but did not solve the problem). The solution was a new Rottendog MPU. I suspect the old MPU had an intermittent switch matrix issue.

#2163 1 year ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I recently redid all the LEDs in my Tommy and I'm very happy with the results. I used 2SMD sunlight for the playfield GI, and 1SMD sunlight for the backbox. I also installed an EnerGI Maestro board which eliminates the annoying GI flashing. Unfortunately, I don't think the board is being made anymore.

Sorry for digging up some old posts, but I have a Stern Gizmo installed to smoothen the GI (eliminates the strobing and gives a nice fade in/out) in my Tommy and this works great:

https://www.cometpinball.com/products/led-ocd-boards-general-illumination?variant=39990957539430

http://ledocd.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8&products_id=19

I see they are sold out now at Comet but when back in stock this at least offers an alternative.

2 months later
#2197 1 year ago
Quoted from gjm:

I'm interested in hearing about how deep the rules are on this pin. As we all know some pins have very deep ways/rules to get through/to the modes.
Is it really a "deep" rule pin?
Thanks for your opinions.

I'm not sure if it's really deep, but in terms of the variety with the modes I think it's really good for a 90's pin. I also have an Addams Family which on first view has a lot of different modes but many of them are nearly the same (so effectively you only have 5 modes + the main multiball). On Tommy every Union Jack mode is really different so you'll have 10-12 different challenges.

I also have a question: I need to replace the autokicker on my Tommy. There are examples on the internet which show the previous generation Stern autolauncher/autokicker being installed succesfully. But has anyone ever succeeded in transplanting the current Stern autokicker to a Data East machine?

I mean this one: https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-21022

#2200 1 year ago

Thanks for your feedback! I will take the route with the plunger as linked on the Pinball Life website.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
€ 25.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pin-Decals

$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Fairfax, VA
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 18.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 28.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.95
Flipper Parts
TheDudeMods

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinball Haus

Lighting - Led
TheDudeMods

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 45.95
€ 27.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Svend.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-whos-tommy-club-can-you-hear-me-members-only?tu=Svend and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.