(Topic ID: 142990)

The Who's TOMMY Club - Can you hear me? Members Only!

By ChadH

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,268 posts
  • 189 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 22 days ago by Cloud7
  • Topic is favorited by 101 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240402_190633 (resized).jpg
IMG_0837 (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
208B62BB-BFC2-4887-BF1F-C1553C296DC4 (resized).jpeg
E39892B0-EAE6-405E-8081-1FCCBE1A62BC (resized).png
D7947C2E-4557-4064-80FD-F244F3C06761 (resized).jpeg
20230802_224904 (resized).jpg
20230802_224851 (resized).jpg
IMG_3423 (resized).jpeg
Screen Shot 2023-07-27 at 9.35.26 AM (resized).png
IMG_3415 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3413 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3410 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3411 (resized).jpeg
Screen Shot 2023-07-26 at 11.04.34 AM (resized).png
Screen Shot 2023-07-26 at 11.03.38 AM (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider HIPPY.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#642 6 years ago

On mine, the only plastic guard in that area is behind the right spinner,mounted on a spacer type post,next to ramp. Hope this helps, love my Tommy.

#647 6 years ago

The original sound of this game always ruined it for me. Believe me, the Pinsound pushed this game over the top. See Me Feel Me is after losing balls, I'm Free is 6 ball multi ball,for example, all The Who. Original speakers sound good. They mix original sounds also with The Who. Try you tube , pinsound, to hear it.

3 months later
#741 6 years ago

This thread, topic #259, has clear plastics map.

6 months later
#807 5 years ago
Quoted from JDub03:

Anyone installed mirror blades in their Tommy? Any issues with clearance on the playfield sides? I feel like my cabinet might be warped and I don't want to install them only for them to get scratched up right away.

I installed mirror blades on my Tommy about a year ago. No issues,whatsoever. Looks great with all the gi & vuk going. Mine had plenty of clearance, If you are in question, test it with something else. Pin blades at tilt graphics are always an option.

3 weeks later
#823 5 years ago

Anyone needing or wanting a CPR playfield for their Tommy should go to their site. Go to the preorder section,boutique zone. They are measuring interest in making them. You simply need to vote yes, give email, no commitments. If there is enough of us, a new CPR playfield. Check it out.

1 month later
#830 5 years ago
Quoted from djsolzs:

I put new decals on Tommy and getting ready to put back together. I didn't get good pictures of the connectors from and by the coin door. Can anyone snap pictures of what these plug in to for me?
[quoted image][quoted image]

I looked in mine, I have the same 2, not connected to anything. I bet they go to a bill or change accepter in the coin door. Mine totally works without them.

#833 5 years ago
Quoted from djsolzs:

Thanks guys... So there is 1 connector in first pic and 2 in the second pic. Sounds like non of these are hooked up on your machines? Was just confused since you guys said 2 connectors when there are 3 total. Thanks for taking time to look

Mine also has 3 connectors,not hooked up,near coindoor. Must be money related, mine works great without them.

1 week later
#835 5 years ago

I had the same problem, hope this helps.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#836 5 years ago

More, good luck.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#837 5 years ago
Quoted from topcat2:

Hi Guys
Can someone post a pic of the spotlight assembly and the plastic above it. been restoring my Tommy and bits have been
missing everywhere. Cant seem to find a close up anywhere to make one up
Cheers[quoted image]

If you need a specific picture, let me know. That is a crowded area.

1 week later
#841 5 years ago
Quoted from Gohigh54:

Hello all,
Picked up my first pin ever a few weeks ago and it is a Tommy! Played the game earlier this year and fell in love with it and now it is mine. It is a nice original example with an aftermarket ball topper. There are a few minor bumps and scratches, but otherwise really nice. The play field looks great to my untrained eye, with only some paint chipping around the VUK. There are a few lines were the ball rolls a lots, but it seems to come off with a little cleaning.
In the process of fixing a bunch of small items, I ordered two VUK plastic parts. Both are really nice, but the yellow color is orange. One was from Ebay and the other was from Bay Area Amusements. Neither matches anything on my machine. Does anyone have a source for more accurate units?
Here are some of the mods I put on since purchase:
ColorDMD
Upgraded Props
ROM V5
Replaced all rubber
Replaced the blinder server controller/motor (TNT)
Union Jack flipper overlays
Hole protector set
Future plans:
LEDs
Pinsound
Rebuild VUK relay (takes a few tries every once in a while)
Thank you,
Keith

Is the part you are looking for the vuk plastic? If so, I looked a long time for mine. It gets broken the most. Yours is yellow, right? By the way, I did the same upgrades to mine, wonderful game. CPR is taking votes right now to see if there is enough of us to reproduce a new playfeild. Sure would be nice.

1 month later
#848 5 years ago
Quoted from lhammer610:

My Tommy is missing the silverball. I got from a garden shop one of the outdoor silver balls. I have not figured out how to mount it on the head, so it does not accidentally fall off.
Any suggestions?

There is a good video on YouTube on this. Search Tommy pinball topper, sounds easy.

2 months later
#881 5 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

Thanks a million for the tips. The only DE I had previously owned was a Phantom of the Opera. It was a long time ago - actually the second pin I owned back in 97'. It may have been bad too, but it's been so long and I was so clueless I would not have noticed. I am glad to hear that I am not missing something.
The propellers look very cool, Thanks!
I'll check on the upgraded firmware tonight. Color DMD for sure.
Really liking this pin more than I thought. Just installed two Cliffy protectors last night - the mirror one is slated to go in tomorrow.
Thanks again...

You gotta get the color dmd, it does wonders . Because of the size of the translight, you can only go with color led. It is still very nice.

2 weeks later
#892 5 years ago
Quoted from Don44:

I am thinking about putting a color led display in my Tommy. Do you have to cut the speaker panel to do the color led display?

I put a color led in mine. You will love it. Fits right in, no cutting. LCD does not fit, translight is too big.

2 months later
#960 4 years ago
Quoted from Dallas_Pin:

Good luck sir! I was able to find one after a few months of searching and being picky. Unfortunately I was unable to see it in person and it was not exactly in the ‘excellent’ condition as promised by the owner. Cabinet was good; PF was good, just cheap hacks that I’ve been replacing. Side note, CPR is in preorder for the PF and have plastics in stock

I have been watching CPR for over a year.Still, in the "might make" section. I gave up and bought a restorable one on Pinside. Swapping it now, in my spare time. What a job.I got a great cabinet. I got it up your way at TPF two years ago.

1 month later
#992 4 years ago
Quoted from Dallas_Pin:

Question for the Tommy owners with the Color DMD; where did you tap into power? Instructions call for J16 on the power supply board, but on mine, there is no J16 and no power supply tap near the coin door like other DE titles.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#993 4 years ago

For anyone wanting a NOS playfield, one is at auction on EBay.

#995 4 years ago

I just ordered a full plastics set for mine at CPR. Take a look at all the clear plastics you might be missing, like me. Lots of extra stuff, too. Pinbits has sets of plastics protectors for it, too. Check it out.

#997 4 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

I just install both in my Tommy. Very nice. Had a minor issue and the CPR folks totally jumped on it. The protectors are a great addition - especially on the judge VUK plastic that gets slammed from the inside as well as the outside.

I put protectors on all my games, if available. They sure do their job. Hunting for one broke plastic gets pretty aggravating.

#1002 4 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

I think they're for the printer?

Could be, mine are not attached to anything, either.

1 month later
#1015 4 years ago

Just completed a restore on my Tommy. I got with HEP, he installed service rails and told me to get the Spike version. It was easy an they sure are nice. No more pegs, it can be done.

#1017 4 years ago

No more pegs, very nice. The 2 bottom screws are threaded into existing spots. The 4 top screws are hex screws. Spike system, Pinball Life. I believe it has a lower profile than the Sam.

Quoted from hank527:

Can you take pics?

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
1 month later
#1094 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Ok, hit me with your best and worse criticism. Wanted to improve it. I did notice I took out Pinball Wizard for some reason. Going back in next update.

Please let us know when you get Pinball Wixard back in.it keeps the theme of the game. Other than that.great job.

#1096 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Sure, have to move a couple songs around. Did you download it ok? Get it done by the weekend. Trying to figure out which music tracks play with each ball.

I am going to wait until you are finished. I like my original a lot, but, I am certainly interested in yours. Just refinished my playfield and restored it. Pinsound speakers upgrade,too.

#1098 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

My Tommy orchestration is now available for free download. Thanks.

Needs Pinball Wizard, of course. One terrible song on the original Pinsound was Holiday Camp. Did you replace it ?

1 week later
#1112 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Any good suppliers of the Union Jacket target decals? I found these on Ebay, if anyone can recommend them. Thanks.
ebay.com link » Tommy Pinball Target Cushioned Decals

I have had these on mine. About 2 years old, they get kinda ragged, coming unglued. However, I do like the looks, and recently replaced them. My other supplier of these on my games is Pinball Decals. They don’t have Tommy target decals. I have them on all my games and have never noticed them changing ball directions.

3 months later
#1187 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

For those interested in the different Pinsound orchestrations I have created with original The Who music, here are clips from the two different versions.
Tommy_Pinballjah_V2
This is based on JULIEN42's orchestration that updated all of the original musical music with music from the Who's Tommy. I have further updated this orchestration with original Who music, with the exception of the missions, which are from the Who's Tommy album.

The Who Greatest_Pinballjah
All of the original music has been replaced with hits from the Who. All missions are various Who songs, all songs from the Tommy album have mostly been replaced. Most music folders include numerous Who songs that will play on a random basis. For example, at the start of each ball, a random Who song will play. Each missions was replaced with a single Who song.

I will probably go with your Tommy version. One question I gotta ask. Did you replace that awful song on the mission, “Holiday Camp”?

1 week later
#1213 4 years ago
Quoted from monkfe:

maybe a small strip ...like the ones comet sells that tap into the regular sockets...matrix I believe, under the wing? or right on the stainless steel ramp?

You are right, matrix from Comet work great. I put 2 led strips, long , on the back of the plane wing. There are colors, I chose white, really lights up all the back. They share a 44 socket that I used from the back corners. Easy stuff, cheap, helps a lot.

3 months later
#1283 3 years ago
Quoted from monkfe:

Easy to install, having the forward bracket installed helps a lot too.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I will try those. The best thing to do is the service rails you put on. I did that on mine, too. No more pegs. What a deal.

3 months later
#1336 3 years ago
Quoted from SunWizard:

When doing a full LED upgrade, is it easier to remove all the ramps and plastic and do it from the top, or unscrew the socket and do them from the bottom? (for the portion of the lights where needed, I see that many are easy without any removing any stuff.)

Some can be done from the bottom. Most of the smaller 555's can. However, a lot of the playfield lights are staple down type wires, gotta do them from the top. Lots of them behind the translight,too. LEDs are the way to go, brighter, less heat.

#1345 3 years ago
Quoted from ToucanF16:

I just joined the club. Bought a Tommy from another Pinsider and a PF from tomdk The playfield has been sent to Ronald Kruzman for clearing. It will all be restored.
I’m thinking of Pinsound with the Pinwoofer kit. Has anyone done that combination?

I went with the Pinsound & the 3 speaker kit for it. The sub is quite good, & also the Tommy album download, it is free. You will love it.

1 month later
#1424 3 years ago
Quoted from JoeinNJ:

Thinking about letting my DE Tommy go that I’ve owned since 96, if anyone might be interested

There is an add looking for one. He is in PA.

#1428 3 years ago
Quoted from bsrhardy:

New to the older games, my Tommy flippers just stopped working. One minute good, next nothing. Where to start? Any assistance is appreciated. Just need a path.

The first thing to check is the flipper board, it has the flipper fuses. Leave the game on and hit the flipper buttons, one at a time. Look for a red led to light on the flipper board when hit. 2 for the left,1 for the right. Check the flipper cabinet switches, too. Yes, a manual is a must.
The flipper board is under the Playfield, mounted on the left wall. Hope this helps.

#1431 3 years ago
Quoted from bsrhardy:

Thanks Hippy. Followed the flow chart, SSFB was getting LED illumination, and 79V to the CN2 pins 11,12. Checked the PPB and the F5 fuse was good, all fuses were good. Checked the J7 pins 1,2,3 on the PPB and was getting 79v as well. According to the flowchart, i am looking at a new SSFB.
Does this jive with what others have found? Anything the flowchart did not address that may be the cause?

On the cabinet switches,I was talking about the leaf- style flipper buttons. I got tired of mine giving me grief, and replaced them, problem solved.
It sounds like you need a SSFB. Rottendog is all there is, they’re good. Do you have another DE or, Sega to swap boards with for a test? Also, those transistors on the same board go out, too, easy to replace. If you have a meter, there is about 4, they will test. I think they are. .5 - .8 on the diode setting.

1 month later
#1596 3 years ago
Quoted from JDub03:

Was cleaning my PF tonight and thought I’d share a little. Mirror blades, color DMD, Pinsound card and blue speaker lights.

I have all of your stuff, except for the blue speaker lights. Where did you get them?

1 week later
#1673 3 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

It’s scary. Get ahold. Lift to about 45 degrees and pull. It’s likely to screech. I replaced my metal guide with a set of high impact plastic ones. A bit better.

I have a new never pused translight of this The Who shipped into a cylinder,priority $60. Anyone interested can pm me for PayPal.

1 month later
#1767 3 years ago

I got an extra, new, unused trans light like this for sale. I sure do like mine. It’s $60, priority postage included, shipped in a tube. PM, if interested.

Sold.

63687155-9E84-4033-BDB0-DB43EE820ED9 (resized).jpeg63687155-9E84-4033-BDB0-DB43EE820ED9 (resized).jpeg
#1773 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Be careful advertising these for sale. You will have some German dude threatening to have his family in Colorado hunt you down lol. Did you have it made yourself? We likely had the same guy do it as I got mine printed in Texas as well.

Thanks, but, no, these are at retrorefurbs. Already gone, too. Looks really good.

#1774 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Be careful advertising these for sale. You will have some German dude threatening to have his family in Colorado hunt you down lol. Did you have it made yourself? We likely had the same guy do it as I got mine printed in Texas as well.

By the way, your Pinsound stuff is the very best. Can’t imagine Tommy without it.

1 month later
#1819 3 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

Hmmm. Have not seen that. Probably pretty easy to get one made. It’s not on the flyer for the American or German version. I wonder if it was a custom job. Curious.

I got this on EBay a few years back. Custom made by one of their sticker makers. Less than $5. I don’t know which one, ask some of them. I got one made for my Goldeneye recently. Same way, helps the looks a lot.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
1 week later
#1830 3 years ago
Quoted from loren3233:

If you don't mind, where do we find this code?

Pinside shops - Matt’s Basement
Look for roms
He is on the internet, as the same.
I think it is about $15-$20
He is fast and it’s easy to do.

4 weeks later
#1848 3 years ago
Quoted from ClarkGriswold:

I have a question on the UPPER flipper on Tommy. Mine stopped working during game play. I lifted the playfield and found that the upper flipper mech, where the metal rod connects to plastic, (see generic pic for reference) had a pin that was in it and that came out. I couldn't get the pin back in, so I decided that I would temporally put in a screw and nut on there (like my lower flippers have) so I could continue playing while waiting on a rebuild kit (which I still haven't ordered). When that flipper is engaged the nut now touches the metal base on the solenoid and it being magnetically stuck to it - meaning that flipper now sticks up and stays there for a bit even after the flipper button is NOT engaged.
Based upon looking at the lower flipper assemblies on my Tommy (those have a similar screw and nut assembly at that point), I'm thinking that the upper flipper assembly uses something different (like the pin that fell out and caused it to stop working in the first place)
Now I'm not sure what/which flipper assembly to purchase to properly rebuild that UPPER flipper? Anyone have any insight here or can you link me to the proper assembly to purchase to fix it? Are the lower flippers a bit different in this regard to the upper flipper?
Tommy is not as much fun with my upper flipper sticking... I want to make sure I get the correct parts to fix it.[quoted image]

The 3 are the same, except you don’t do the EOS switch. Pinball Life will sell just 1 set. Get the left set.

#1851 3 years ago

I installed these and really like them. They are at Marco for $100. They are listed there as Data East side armor. Tommy is not listed to fit.Probably because I had to drill a new hole on each side on the button guards. Easy stuff.If you go with it,don’t forget to get a roll of double stick tape they sell. The upper holes line up. These are on all the Jp’s that I see.

5B5152C3-FCFF-49EE-9C9D-30AE5FBCF8EA (resized).jpeg5B5152C3-FCFF-49EE-9C9D-30AE5FBCF8EA (resized).jpeg
#1861 3 years ago
Quoted from bmcclary:

I was able to join the TOMMY club on Friday. A friend of mine from work told me YEARS AGO that she won a pinball machine on The Price is Right (air date of 4/28/94 if someone can help me track it down) back in the 90s. We kept in touch and a few months ago, she asked me if I'd be interested in buying it. The machine was at her brother's house in Cleveland (I'm in SE Michigan) and he was moving. They were looking to get the game moved out. We finalized a deal (which I'm embarrassed to even say how great of a deal I got on this) and I got in my car with my brother for the 7 hour roundtrip drive to Cleveland. We got home around midnight on Friday and loaded the game to what I've dubbed "The Basement Barcade". I shopped the game on Saturday and have it running pretty well. The display doesn't work, but the game is in fantastic condition overall with just a few small bumps and bruises on the cabinet from previous moves I'm sure.
I ordered Titan rubbers and am looking for recommendations on a LED kit. I'm also considering a color DMD display and a Pinsound system. Any thoughts on either of these? Are they worth it?
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I have both, both are top priority. The display is especially so you can test it. The Pinsound is wonderful, and I recommend the speakers with it. Go to YouTube to hear it. Hearing is believing. Congrats on a great game.

1 month later
#1896 2 years ago
Quoted from Zigzagzag:

100k[quoted image]

Crazy stuff. Bottom line, it’s a DE. This will be interesting.

1 week later
#1914 2 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

Having a bad day… two pins went down, game room stereo receiver went spuds up and so I’m done for the day.
So my Tommy was working great as usual, then for the first time ever - reboot.
When I turned it back on, all lights rapidly flashing on and off with audible click.
I have an EnerGI board, pinsound, pinwoofer, and LEDs for all but flashers.
I have not begun to look into it yet - to pissed - but wondered if anything jumped out at anyone before I start looking into it.

I would start with unplugging the ribbon cables and reseating them. This helps on a lot of older games. GI plug-in, too.

1 month later
#1951 2 years ago
Quoted from bsrhardy:

Thanks for all the help from this community. I am almost there. The only thing kicking my ass is this mirror test.
I can get in DIAG, GOTO Mirror Test, but can only test the UP. I cannot seem to find a way to test the DOWN. I cannot, even trying every button, to get the test to change to DOWN.
I need a bit of handholding here. Thoughts or guidance.

Sounds like your motor is gone, and the connection needs help. I just had to replace my motor. Marco has them. Definitely check your connection, though. It should attempt to go down.

#1955 2 years ago

Marco has them. Easy to replace. You will have to repin the connector . I just had to go it.

2 weeks later
#1962 2 years ago
Quoted from Svend:

Hi guys, I'm ordering a new rubber kit for my Tommy and I was suprised to see that the game actually uses 17x 1/2" post sleeves (marked by H in the picture), apparently below the rubber ring in the same position. I currently do not have these installed.
Am I correct that these 1/2 sleeves should go below the rubber ring and around the plastic post (which have the dent which holds the rubber ring)?
Thanks![quoted image]

Yes, you are correct. Titan has them in colors,too.

#1964 2 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Yep. I did white rings with grey post sleeves. I think the combo looks great ...[quoted image]

Those look great. You are right, good combo. I got blue posts with red rings. Good job.
Tommy is my oldest, higher maintenance, but, it is a keeper.

3 months later
#2018 2 years ago
Quoted from RhettDR:

Picked this up last month - so, I'm on my Mod Journey... But I have done the full LED, and the full Cliffy kit all new Plastics (pretty much every plastic was in ROUGH shape... ) But the cabinet and playfield were in absolutely fantastic shape... Was terribly filthy, however... Just - all-over...
The game appeared to be bone stock, when I got it.
Though I think it has a custom Translite (which I don't really like).
The Cliffy's make the game a tad more difficult, but this game really needs that in my opinion (It's pretty easy to take this one all the way to "Pinball Wizard"). The Cliffys just LOOK great on this game too... Just very aesthetically pleasing...
In a collection, this is just a great game for fun / easily approachable / etc... Really like it...
Next month - Pinsound
Month after - Color DMD
Finally - Sit back & enjoy!

Looks like you are on the right path. Looks good. A Pinsound will amaze you. If you can, I sure do recommend their speakers. Helps a lot. You order from France, good people. Leaving color dmd for last is smart. Icing on the cake. I did the same. If you want to shop translights, retrorefurbs in UK has one I put on mine. They have quite a bit.

#2026 2 years ago
Quoted from JackG:

I'm looking to shop out my Tommy over the holidays. Does anyone know where to get the auto-ball launcher? The one listed on Marco's says that it doesn't work in Tommy. I'm trying to take advantage of the last day of Marco's free shipping today.

I changed mine. I couldn’t find one to buy. I saw on Action Pinballs site a nice replacement you have to create. Modern Stern, like Iron Man. Go to their site, data east auto launch. Parts are listed and good instructions. Be sure and get a new style shooter switch. It works great, but, you gotta make it happen.

3 weeks later
#2031 2 years ago
Quoted from JStoltz:

Thinking about doing a topside teardown of my Tommy to give it a good thorough clean/wax, replace all the rubbers, and finish installing the harder-to-get-to Cliffy protectors. I'd probably just do a partial teardown under normal circumstances, but I'm planning on listing it sometime in the next few months and want it to present as well as possible.
Anybody have any success/horror stories for this process on a Tommy? Any mechs or anything that are particularly challenging to remove/reattach?
Thanks!

Take pictures of the spotlight assembly on the left. It can be tough.

2 months later
#2069 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Working on a Live Who orchestration for Tommy. Just have to find some extra songs to add to make it really good. I think it be nice to have a live version as well as the Who did some great concerts.

My Generation- live at Leeds. Take a listen.

#2071 2 years ago
Quoted from tominator:

So just reporting back as promised.
My game has had the knocker removed for some reason. The person I got it from had no insight as to why.
I can get a knocker for it, but I am reluctant to wire one in for fear of causing new issues... when i researched data east knockers it seems common for them to blow fuses and or transistors.
Thoughts?[quoted image]

If it were me, I would want it working. It may have just been robbed, as we call it. You can do another coil there, temporarily, to see if it works, on the coil test. If it works, you can do the expense of replacing.

4 weeks later
#2076 1 year ago
Quoted from RojerLockless:

Tommy is no longer on the top 100

That’s sad. Speaking for us older pinball people, the best music pin, ever, with Pinsound, of course.

10 months later
#2199 1 year ago
Quoted from Rustle:

Thanks Ive. It was just drivin me mental that I found it one day and then couldn't find it the next. Like ya said, 10 years of info in there and I hadn't finished lurking through it all yet lol. But luckily I found the source of the group. Sounds like I might be better off askin questions in here anyway. I'm thinkin of buyin a Tommy for my first pin and I've heard that DA machines of that era aren't necessarily the most reliable and just wonderin if you guys have more issues with your Tommy than you do other pins and what kinda issues they are? And what issues I should look for when buyin one? I've got a friend that knows his shit helpin and is gunna come and check it out with me but it'd still be good to know some of this stuff for myself. Anyway, thanks again for your prompt response and puttin the FB group back up Ive. And pinballjah for the reply. Thanks guys, much appreciated

I think you will find this thread very helpful, w

Quoted from snyper2099:

I converted mine but the one in your link is not the correct one. Not saying you could not use it but that one MUCH wider and it's mounted using some odd looking compression studs to the left of the shooter lane like all new Sterns. [You would possibly need to drill holes all the way through your Tommy playfield to use one of that variety.]
I would not recommend using one that wide because the previous generation Stern one BARELY fits in there, width-wise. It's hard to explain without pictures but the way the Data East through is designed really limits the amount of space you have there. You could try it and see but you could also run into problems lining up the switch and could end up wasting $82.
If it's worth anything, I used the one that's on games like Sharky's Shootout and Austin Powers (from Pinballlife.com) and it works FANTASTIC and is half the price. https://www.pinballlife.com/segastern-auto-plunger-arm-weld-assembly.html
There's a couple examples of people installing it. Here's the post about my Tommy auto-shooter conversion in my "trash to treasure Tommy" thread that I did last year (with a few pictures of the installed assembly): https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tommys-not-a-wizard-yet-he-needs-serious-help-refurb-thread#post-7174562 [posts 37+38]

I had to change mine, too. I agree that one on Marco is too wide. I found directions on how to go about it on action pinballs site. I used the basic assembly on later sterns like iron man. You still got to reconfigure it, but, most of us are good engineers, aren’t we? It works way better than before.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Led
TheDudeMods

Flipper Parts
TheDudeMods

$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

€ 25.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pin-Decals

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 18.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinball Haus

€ 27.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 28.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.95
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Machine - For Sale
Fairfax, VA
$ 18.95
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider HIPPY.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-whos-tommy-club-can-you-hear-me-members-only?tu=HIPPY and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.