(Topic ID: 142990)

The Who's TOMMY Club - Can you hear me? Members Only!

By ChadH

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 1,144 posts
  • 132 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 days ago by zahner
  • Topic is favorited by 63 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 278 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

FD7C5E7D-8E24-452F-B43D-8C36CAF5A3B1 (resized).jpeg
67EDDADC-0ED3-4918-8CBD-1B260C03EA75 (resized).jpeg
Tommy Translite NEW prv (resized).png
5CB1CCB5-1DB5-4F5A-8E71-1CFE2AC64D89 (resized).jpeg
9C745347-7A23-41B5-BB42-69AC6A49DDF3 (resized).jpeg
E1B643D3-F4B7-450F-8E25-10D7D2232A0F (resized).jpeg
2BE4F305-E685-4C56-92BB-9EE902C609E4 (resized).jpeg
6FD68B94-7D5F-4E0F-AA0E-63DA926872B7 (resized).jpeg
A4081EA4-501F-433D-A50C-508F06732762 (resized).png
snip1 (resized).JPG
B8D7CE64-56EE-4804-8301-C3BD1797513F (resized).jpeg
pb4 (resized).jpg
Cn1 2 (resized).jpg
Cn1 1 (resized).jpg
762A11B5-258F-4219-9E4B-3C6C53228AF8 (resized).png
tommy proto vs serie2 (resized).jpg

There are 1144 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 23.
#301 3 years ago

Thrilled, thanks Chad! Donation sent.

Nate

#302 3 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

Ready for some new Tommy fun?
Check this out...
http://www.pinballcode.com/

Oh and it really is some new fun, great job Chad!

#303 3 years ago
Quoted from MAJRob:

No way! Awesome! Is here any way to order the actual ROM chip with the code in it from your website Chad?

I'll program it for anyone who needs it for a fair price. Don't forget to make a donation to Chad through his site!

#304 3 years ago

Awesome work Chad - you have done a great job !!!

I have beta tested this and Tommy fans will not be disappointed Go get it people !!

#305 3 years ago

The was a Royal Rumble dots teaser that was never used? That's so cool!

Part of me really wants to update, but the other part of me wants to stay true to the original. I'll probably install it at some point.

#306 3 years ago

I've been playing Chad's new code for a couple weeks. He did an amazing job on it!

#307 3 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I've been playing Chad's new code for a couple weeks. He did an amazing job on it!

What is different about it?

#308 3 years ago
Quoted from Don44:

What is different about it?

www.pinballcode.com details all the changes.

#309 3 years ago

There are some great changes in there! Though I don't think I'm tech savy enough to install the code.

How well is this code going to work with the recently released colorDMD?

#310 3 years ago

Silver Ball Max
Update: The silver ball is lit for 20M for remainder of ball. Renamed to “Silver Ball Max”.

It stays lit?

#311 3 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

There are some great changes in there! Though I don't think I'm tech savy enough to install the code.

I believe Frank now has the new code and hopefully a ColorDMD update will follow

#312 3 years ago
Quoted from MauriceSTYS:

Silver Ball Max
Update: The silver ball is lit for 20M for remainder of ball. Renamed to “Silver Ball Max”.
It stays lit?

Does not stay lit. Poor wording. I'll update that in the doc.

#313 3 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Surely we can find someone in BHam or Atlanta to burn a copy. John Wart is the best I've found for mail order.

I'll likely wait until Color DMD support is added before I upgrade. But it is awesome this exists. I've been a big fan of the Star Wars upgrade since it came out.

#314 3 years ago

I'm officially broke now.

image_(resized).png

#315 3 years ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

I'm officially broke now.

Oh well. At least it went to a worthy cause.

#316 3 years ago

If anyone coming to SFGE wants Tommy roms burned. Send me a PM. I'll do as many as I have blanks for, or you can bring yours to me and I'll erase and reprogram them at expo. See you in Atl!

#317 3 years ago

Last night, the display on my Tommy stopped working and the propellers kept starting and stopping. When I turn it off, then back on, the display shows and looks normal, then goes blank and I cannot start a game. Any suggestions regarding what I should look at?

#318 3 years ago
Quoted from tomh52722:

Last night, the display on my Tommy stopped working and the propellers kept starting and stopping. When I turn it off, then back on, the display shows and looks normal, then goes blank and I cannot start a game. Any suggestions regarding what I should look at?

You could start with re-seating all the ribbon cables. I would also check your outputs on the power supply to see if they are normal.

#319 3 years ago

Has anybody installed the colorDMD on Tommy yet? Which set of instructions on their website do you use? There's not any that say Data East.

#320 3 years ago

What does re-seating ribbon cables mean?

#321 3 years ago

The communication cables are the wide cables that look like ribbons, white or grey in color. Just carefully unplug and re-connect at each end. Be very careful to keep all pins aligned exactly as they were.

#322 3 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

The communication cables are the wide cables that look like ribbons, white or grey in color. Just carefully unplug and re-connect at each end. Be very careful to keep all pins aligned exactly as they were.

Ok thanks I will give it a try

#323 3 years ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

Part of me really wants to update, but the other part of me wants to stay true to the original. I'll probably install it at some point.

Don't worry. It's still the classic Tommy that everyone knows and loves. Just a little nip here and a little tuck there... a tweak here and a nudge there... and you've got a better, more balanced, more engaging gameplay experience.

#324 3 years ago

So any Pinsiders installed the new code yet ?? Would love to hear thoughts on it

#325 3 years ago

New code arrived, here's some thoughts after a few games:

Absolutely love how the spinners activate the flashers!
Got 47M on my first Video Mode try, which seems a tad high. But I suppose everything is a little higher scoring so I'll have to see. At least it isn't "do nothing and 13M - try and maybe ~18M" anymore.
Is the relatively long delay between ball launches on Smash the Mirror intended?
The longer timer on Fiddle About causes the music to go into the fast repeating part which can be a bit annoying.
The timing adjustment on the multiball start is great.
I'm terrible at shooting Holiday Camp because I never had a reason to before, but that 50M is tempting.

I'm not sure how mystery awards are selected.
I always thought it had the usual 5 at the start and if they were collected they'd be replaced by either Extra Ball or Special Lit for the next mystery collect.

#326 3 years ago
Quoted from MauriceSTYS:

Is the relatively long delay between ball launches on Smash the Mirror intended?

Yes.

This mode is all about hitting the Mirror. You now got at least 4 nicely set up shots to hit the Mirror when the balls are launched around the orbit and past the upper left flipper. Use those opportunities to your advantage.

I delayed it to give you more time to prepare for the next attempt.

#327 3 years ago
Quoted from MauriceSTYS:

Got 47M on my first Video Mode try, which seems a tad high. But I suppose everything is a little higher scoring so I'll have to see. At least it isn't "do nothing and 13M - try and maybe ~18M" anymore.

Original video mode scoring was bad. Do nothing and get 13M or try really hard and get maybe 18M.

New video mode scoring actually rewards you for trying. Do nothing and get 10M or try hard and get 40 to 50M. Giving player incentive to actually play the mode.

Also, if you hate Video Modes, you can now turn this one off in the Adjustments.

#328 3 years ago
Quoted from MauriceSTYS:

I'm terrible at shooting Holiday Camp because I never had a reason to before, but that 50M is tempting.

Worth getting a handle on that shot, it is risky but now there is BIG reward !

Especially with the revamped Bonus scoring - the multiplier can now result in very lucrative bonus points.

END OF BALL BONUS

Original: Left Ramps are worth 100K. Right Ramps are worth 200K. Modes started throughout entire game are worth 600K. Multiplied by the Bonus Multiplier. This bonus and the multiplier are reset at the beginning of each ball.

Update: Left Ramps are worth 500K. Right Ramps are worth 1M. Modes started throughout entire game are worth 1.2M. Multiplied by the Bonus Multiplier. This bonus and the multiplier are reset at the beginning of each ball.

These changes to scoring may not seem that big a deal at first glance .... but the ramps are now worth 5x what they were, and the completed modes 2x . So a successful ball or 2 when you have hit 10+ ramps and nailed a good few modes means that bonus can start adding up. And combine this with the extra ways in 5.0 of increasing the Bonus Multiplier - Ramp Skill Shot now increase multiplier, shots to captive ball during Holiday Camp now also increase multiplier, Mystery award 8x Multiplier - and the Bonus multiplier is starting to really come into its own. I have on quite a few occasions had a 100+ Mill bonus, the highest being 190Mill !!

Previously the bonus was small change in the game . The Captive Ball which advances the multiplier is a risky shot and with little reward there was no incentive to go for it. That has all changed now with 5.0. A few changes have really opened up this aspect of the game

#329 3 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

Original video mode scoring was bad. Do nothing and get 13M or try really hard and get maybe 18M.

Since you are familiar with this can you give some incite into how the original scoring worked? I've heard rumors that this was never completed, hitting the targets didn't actually work, etc. Just wondering if any of that is true or what the crazy scoring was.

#331 3 years ago

Nice work Chuck.
Possibly a stupid question but what happened to the dots on the color DMD? It looks like an LCD screen which is awesome!! Is that the combination of the new code and color DMD in effect and would it look like the advertised DMD if the original code was in it?

#332 3 years ago
Quoted from Yamisetatiggler:

Nice work Chuck.
Possibly a stupid question but what happened to the dots on the color DMD? It looks like an LCD screen which is awesome!! Is that the combination of the new code and color DMD in effect and would it look like the advertised DMD if the original code was in it?

Thats just the 'Upscaling' effect - with ColorDMD you can choose dots, upscaling or scanlines Nothing to do with the 5.0 code

http://www.colordmd.com/FAQ.html

#333 3 years ago
Quoted from williams:

Since you are familiar with this can you give some incite into how the original scoring worked? I've heard rumors that this was never completed, hitting the targets didn't actually work, etc. Just wondering if any of that is true or what the crazy scoring was.

I've wondered this as well but most of the time I think the targets on my game aren't sensitive enough.

#334 3 years ago
Quoted from shimoda:

I've wondered this as well but most of the time I think the targets on my game aren't sensitive enough.

I think in the original code the hit detection is a little flaky. Chad has corrected this for 5.0 Scoring wise, each target was 1 million points.

Chad might be able to elaborate more on the code side of this.

#335 3 years ago
Quoted from williams:

Video Mode is something I struggled with. It is true that the scoring doesn't always match what is displayed on the screen. There is a static "shot map" that basically compares to the location of the cross hairs to locations on the animation. If the cross hairs are in line, then you get 1M points for "hitting" the target. The problem is that the shot map doesn't always match what is displayed on the screen because there are some random elements to the animations of the cities, planes, and blimps.

I did make the shot map more accurate... so this is a good thing. I also made it so different targets have different values... which is another good thing and allows the player to score more points in this previously low scoring mode. However, I was unable to remove the randomness of some of the animations. This means that it is still not 100% accurate. It is better... but not 100%. I'd say the original shot map was about a B- while this newer shot map is a B+. Because of the fact that it is not an A+ (100%), I added the ability to skip the video mode and just grant the player a flat 25M. This is a new adjustment in the game (Adjustment 35 - Video Mode - Default ON).

I think the best thing about this newly updated Video Mode is that you are rewarded for actually playing it. In the older version, you could just walk away during the mode and collect 13M... or you could actually try really hard and score 17M or 18M. Either way, not many points and not worth the effort. Now if you walk away you get 6M and if you play the mode you can get in the 40M to 50M range. Considering that Tommy is a higher scoring game overall, this helps bring this mode up to the scoring level of many of the other modes.

#336 3 years ago

I'm excited to see that Tommy got the ColorDMD treatment and it looks quite nice in action! As a digital artist and longtime fan of the 90's Broadway production, I dream of seeing a version that really captures the vivid colors of the show. Just for fun I took some screenshots and color tweaked them to look like what I picture in my head. It would be really cool to see it colored like this and have it all truly match the overall art package and branding. I'm sure the colorizing process has technical restraints and is undoubtedly extremely painstaking, but I can dream! If there is a way to make a version like this, I would certainly be willing to help out in any way. I'm interested to know more about the coloring process and how it works. These images below show the released color dots (top), my adjusted colors (bottom), and a photo reference.

Match Sequence

The Mirror

Acid Queen

Sally Simpson

#337 3 years ago

Two things could be improved in the code update, but I'm sure both of these are rather hard to hack into the rom:

Grace periods - Everyone loves grace periods[citation required]. Especially when the add-a-ball rescues the multiball.
Smarter mirror - Starts lowering as soon as the previous ball is drained so you don't have to wait for it anymore.

#338 3 years ago
Quoted from Number41:

I'm excited to see that Tommy got the ColorDMD treatment and it looks quite nice in action! As a digital artist and longtime fan of the 90's Broadway production, I dream of seeing a version that really captures the vivid colors of the show. Just for fun I took some screenshots and color tweaked them to look like what I picture in my head. It would be really cool to see it colored like this and have it all truly match the overall art package and branding. I'm sure the colorizing process has technical restraints and is undoubtedly extremely painstaking, but I can dream! If there is a way to make a version like this, I would certainly be willing to help out in any way. I'm interested to know more about the coloring process and how it works. These images below show the released color dots (top), my adjusted colors (bottom), and a photo reference.

Nice edits! Hopefully they see this or let you help with the coloring for a code update!

#339 3 years ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

Nice edits! Hopefully they see this or let you help with the coloring for a code update!

The problem is that you only have a limited color pallet to work with when doing the colorization.

#340 3 years ago
Quoted from Number41:

I would post that in the colorDMD thread and maybe they can use your suggestions in a code update. Don't be disappointed if it doesn't happen though.

#341 3 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

The problem is that you only have a limited color pallet to work with when doing the colorization.

Yeah, I figured this is the case - I'm curious to know what the exact technical limitations are and how the coloring is done.

#342 3 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

I would post that in the colorDMD thread and maybe they can use your suggestions in a code update. Don't be disappointed if it doesn't happen though.

I actually emailed them to Randy - he liked what he saw, but also shared info about the technical restrictions...and as I suspected, boy are they technical restrictions! What I've done is probably never possible, but he did send my images to Frank in case he wanted to make adjustments at some point - so maybe we'll see some small improvements. Pretty cool!

#343 3 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

You could start with re-seating all the ribbon cables. I would also check your outputs on the power supply to see if they are normal.

Thanks for the advice. Got this working again with no issues in about five minutes!

#344 3 years ago

Holy moly that wasn't the most fun... But success nonetheless!

#345 3 years ago

LOL at all the stuff on the floor! I feel your pain, but man it looks sweet!

#346 3 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

LOL at all the stuff on the floor! I feel your pain, but man it looks sweet!

Thanks! I'm always so messy during these projects. Happy with the way it came out though.

#347 3 years ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

Thanks! I'm always so messy during these projects. Happy with the way it came out though.

Oh, I thought that was just an extra Pinball3000 cabinet you were working on with your new Dremel tool

#348 3 years ago
Quoted from audihere:

Oh, I thought that was just an extra Pinball3000 cabinet you were working on with your new Dremel tool

Wow! Great memory!

#349 3 years ago

How many of you Tommy lovers play the entire game with the blinders out? I love doing that every now and then. I did it on Clay's Tommy at the VFW show and put up a pretty good score. Great game. Mine's staying....

#350 3 years ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

I'm always so messy during these projects.

I'm the exact same way. When I'm working on a game, my tools and supplies are everywhere!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 259.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
There are 1144 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 23.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside