(Topic ID: 142990)

The Who's TOMMY Club - Can you hear me? Members Only!

By ChadH

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 1,144 posts
  • 132 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 days ago by zahner
  • Topic is favorited by 63 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 278 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

FD7C5E7D-8E24-452F-B43D-8C36CAF5A3B1 (resized).jpeg
67EDDADC-0ED3-4918-8CBD-1B260C03EA75 (resized).jpeg
Tommy Translite NEW prv (resized).png
5CB1CCB5-1DB5-4F5A-8E71-1CFE2AC64D89 (resized).jpeg
9C745347-7A23-41B5-BB42-69AC6A49DDF3 (resized).jpeg
E1B643D3-F4B7-450F-8E25-10D7D2232A0F (resized).jpeg
2BE4F305-E685-4C56-92BB-9EE902C609E4 (resized).jpeg
6FD68B94-7D5F-4E0F-AA0E-63DA926872B7 (resized).jpeg
A4081EA4-501F-433D-A50C-508F06732762 (resized).png
snip1 (resized).JPG
B8D7CE64-56EE-4804-8301-C3BD1797513F (resized).jpeg
pb4 (resized).jpg
Cn1 2 (resized).jpg
Cn1 1 (resized).jpg
762A11B5-258F-4219-9E4B-3C6C53228AF8 (resized).png
tommy proto vs serie2 (resized).jpg

There are 1144 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 23.
#251 3 years ago

thanks for the explain.
...I know i'll have to work on the tommy mix soon

#252 3 years ago
Quoted from BigLebowski:

Thanks, I almost thought so, it looked completely out of place where it was mounted in my Tommy

Yep. Definitely not original part.

#253 3 years ago
Quoted from BigLebowski:

Thanks, I almost thought so, it looked completely out of place where it was mounted in my Tommy

Yep. Definitely not original part.

1 week later
#254 3 years ago

I´m reassembling my Tommy and it seems I didn´t take enough pictures.....

Can anybody help me putting these 3 plastic guards in their proper place?

P1080036_(resized).JPG

There´s two more which are square-like. I think I know where they go.

#255 3 years ago
Quoted from BigLebowski:

Can anybody help me putting these 3 plastic guards in their proper place?
P1080036_(resized).JPG
There´s two more which are square-like. I think I know where they go.

One of those goes on the plastic above the mode start hole, just behind the upkicker. Another one goes on the plastic just above and behind the left scoop. Not sure about the third one. They are all there just to avoid ball traps.

#256 3 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

One of those goes on the plastic above the mode start hole, just behind the upkicker.

Behind the upkicker was one of my square plastics and from looking at ipdb that seems to be right.

Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Another one goes on the plastic just above and behind the left scoop.

That´s yet another one (much longer than these on the picture).

#257 3 years ago
Quoted from BigLebowski:

Can anybody help me putting these 3 plastic guards in their proper place? There´s two more which are square-like. I think I know where they go.

I can help you out later today when I get home from work - I'll take a bunch of pics so you can have exact original factory plastic placement!

#258 3 years ago
Quoted from Number41:

I can help you out later today when I get home from work - I'll take a bunch of pics so you can have exact original factory plastic placement!

Thanks so much, these plastics seem to be all over the place depending on the owner´s taste....

#259 3 years ago

BigLebowski - as promised, here are all the original factory positions for the clear plastics! The hover-over captions help describe where they are just in case. If you need any additional pictures let me know.

Behind the VUK.
Under the right ramp.
Above the upper flipper.
On top of spotlights.
Left side of left ramp.
Next to the mirror.
Right side of right ramp.
Right side of left ramp.
Undernearth the left ramp (with white strip on top).

#260 3 years ago

Awesome!!!! Thanks for all the detail.

#261 3 years ago
Quoted from Number41:

BigLebowski - as promised, here are all the original factory positions for the clear plastics! The hover-over captions help describe where they are just in case. If you need any additional pictures let me know.
Behind the VUK.
Under the right ramp.
Above the upper flipper.
On top of spotlights.
Left side of left ramp.
Next to the mirror.
Right side of right ramp.
Right side of left ramp.
Undernearth the left ramp (with white strip on top).

Great post , very useful

Regarding the VUK guard, I had always thought it was positioned along the top edge of the plastic - running alongside the mirror approach - many machines I have seen have it there. However it does make more sense where you show it as it prevents airballs nestling against the wireform .... which can still happen with a freak airball if positioned it is along the top edge .

#262 3 years ago

Gents,
Anyone have a nice plastic for Tommy? I am looking for the long one along the left side of the machine.
Thanks!!

#263 3 years ago
Quoted from MAJRob:

Gents,
Anyone have a nice plastic for Tommy? I am looking for the long one along the left side of the machine.
Thanks!!

The one that's on eBay now looks pretty scratched up. I'll keep my eyes peeled for others, though.

#264 3 years ago
Quoted from Number41:

The one that's on eBay now looks pretty scratched up. I'll keep my eyes peeled for others, though.

Awesome, thank you. Yeah that one does seem pretty rough.

#265 3 years ago

CPR is gauging interest on playfields in their "Boutique Zone" including Tommy. Use the email link on the right-hand side of the table and follow the instructions if you're interested! Ive, maybe this should go up on your Facebook page!

http://www.classicplayfields.com/order.html

#266 3 years ago
Quoted from MAJRob:

Anyone have a nice plastic for Tommy? I am looking for the long one along the left side of the machine. Thanks!!

I have one. It's used and a little bent, but the artwork is in great shape. It's definitely a lot nicer than the one on eBay. It's yours for free if you still need it.

P1070709_(resized).JPG
P1070710_(resized).JPG

#267 3 years ago

If anyone follows pinball stuff on Instagram, I started a new account under the name "buzzersandbells". Feel free to follow the feed (and I'll follow any other pin related accounts in return)! I'll be posting tons of Tommy pics (from before I brought it home to now, through all of the restorations/modifications I've made) along with lots of photos of friends' games and events.

https://www.instagram.com/buzzersandbells/

#268 3 years ago

Just wanna give a heads-up to anyone with missing blinders on their Tommy:
A little over a week ago I got a reproduction set from Bakerman and it's working perfectly fine so far.
I haven't had a single problem with the mechanism, the material quality, or the setup, and the price is unbeatable in the current market.

He's still making sets on request. You can find the thread here, including a few pictures and videos of my Tommy:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/another-tommy-blinders-repro

(I'm not associated with Bakerman in any way beyond the purchase, I just think that this is a really good deal)

#269 3 years ago

I've noticed that the slingshot plastics I see around have different numbers on them. My original ones have 09 and 10 on them, but I've also seen 14 and 15 out there. Are 14 and 15 plastics the extras that were included with the machine (in the goodie bag) maybe?

#270 3 years ago

If you are at MGC this weekend and you are familiar with the Tommy ruleset... check out the Tommy in the game hall. You may notice a few things with the gameplay.

#271 3 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

If you are at MGC this weekend and you are familiar with the Tommy ruleset... check out the Tommy in the game hall. You may notice a few things with the gameplay.

I don't have much to say about this currently as you haven't revealed much, but I'd just like to say that I appreciate you doing your stuff. As a single-machine owner, it's incredibly cool to have you improve upon it.
I'd love to give feedback on a few things in the future if possible.

#272 3 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

1 week later
#273 3 years ago

If any one is considering putting an LED OCD board in their Tommy, here's a 1080p 60fps video comparison that I made after installing the board last night. I absolutely love the way it makes the LEDs fade like incandescents and it's very easy to install. I'm using mostly 1 SMD bulbs from Comet Pinball along with a few 2 SMDs in certain inserts. I no longer feel like I need sunglasses during the multi-ball light sequence.

#274 3 years ago

I just loaned my Tommy to the Springer Opera House who is doing a production of Tommy. First time putting a machine 'on location' in any way. Not going to earn from it (other than tickets to the show) but interested in seeing how it does.

#275 3 years ago
Quoted from Number41:

If any one is considering putting an LED OCD board in their Tommy, here's a 1080p 60fps video comparison that I made after installing the board last night. I absolutely love the way it makes the LEDs fade like incandescents and it's very easy to install. I'm using mostly 1 SMD bulbs from Comet Pinball along with a few 2 SMDs in certain inserts. I no longer feel like I need sunglasses during the multi-ball light sequence.
» YouTube video

Wow. That is a huge difference. Thanks for posting.

#276 3 years ago

As Ive has posted in the ColorDMD 2016 thread and on the Facebook fan page, it definitely looks like Tommy is going to be their next release. I'm dying to see how this looks! So curious to see if they color the imagery and animations accurately - the show had very striking and vivid colors in its design. Can't wait to see how it turns out - yet another killer upgrade to consider...

#277 3 years ago
Quoted from Number41:

As Ive has posted in the ColorDMD 2016 thread and on the Facebook fan page, it definitely looks like Tommy is going to be their next release. I'm dying to see how this looks! So curious to see if they color the imagery and animations accurately - the show had very striking and vivid colors in its design. Can't wait to see how it turns out - yet another killer upgrade to consider...

Yep. This is gonna be a very good year for Tommy fans

#278 3 years ago

Any for sale?

#279 3 years ago

Would anyone be able to post a top down pic of how their right spinner is attached? I don't think mine is right. Thanks.

#280 3 years ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

Would anyone be able to post a top down pic of how their right spinner is attached? I don't think mine is right. Thanks.

Here's the original position of it - let me know if these work or if you need other angles.

IMG_3010_(resized).JPG

IMG_3011_(resized).JPG

#281 3 years ago

Just ordered the colorDMD! My Tommy will be in the Papa Circuit Event at SFGE the weekend of June 10th!

#282 3 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Just ordered the colorDMD! My Tommy will be in the Papa Circuit Event at SFGE the weekend of June 10th!

I'm so on the fence. A lot of money... But a huge upgrade.

#283 3 years ago

I have a Tommy with the Pinsound board. I am interested in the colordmd for Tommy (have put one in my Simpsons). But the website does not have the firmware for Tommy yet. "Lotrbreath" says he is buying one - how will that work without the firmware?

#284 3 years ago
Quoted from Fmf1952:

I have a Tommy with the Pinsound board. I am interested in the colordmd for Tommy (have put one in my Simpsons). But the website does not have the firmware for Tommy yet. "Lotrbreath" says he is buying one - how will that work without the firmware?

The email says it is released May 6th.

image_(resized).png

#285 3 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

I beta tested this, it looks great!

#286 3 years ago

You will have to do a little mod to the speaker panel, cutting out the top back flap to fit the CDMD, but it's not too much of a hassle.

#287 3 years ago
Quoted from Number41:

Here's the original position of it - let me know if these work or if you need other angles.

IMG_3010_(resized).JPGIMG_3011_(resized).JPG

Thanks a lot! Mine looks the same I think other than my plastic being different (maybe mine busted or something). Just the ball seems to slow down there sometimes. Maybe just a minor tweak is needed.

image_(resized).jpg

#288 3 years ago

I decided to make myself some custom apron cards (I work as an art director/designer outside the pinball world) that kept the same information and layout as the originals, but with updated color and design. All type was redone from the ground up (I even matched the font used in Tommy on Broadway's marketing campaign) and all logos and graphic elements were drawn as vector art to make these as sharp and crisp as possible. Finished up by printing them out on high quality gloss brochure paper. I think they blend in seamlessly with the look of the machine, pretty happy with how they turned out. Makes me wish I had another game to make more cards for!

Comparison to original apron cards:
IMG_3009_(resized).JPG

View with the rest of the playfield:
IMG_3201_(resized).JPG

#289 3 years ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

Thanks a lot! Mine looks the same I think other than my plastic being different (maybe mine busted or something). Just the ball seems to slow down there sometimes. Maybe just a minor tweak is needed.

Yep, it looks right - and your plastic is fine! It's original and mine is a repro from Pinball Center - I just like how it combines those 2 pieces into 1. I would try using some ultra fine sandpaper to polish the wire of the spinner and apply some synthetic lubricant (I used a Super Lube pen) where it makes contact with the bracket hole. That helped mine a good bit. The right orbit is legendary for slowing down the ball on Tommy haha.

#290 3 years ago
Quoted from Number41:

Yep, it looks right - and your plastic is fine! It's original and mine is a repro from Pinball Center - I just like how it combines those 2 pieces into 1. I would try using some ultra fine sandpaper to polish the wire of the spinner and apply some synthetic lubricant (I used a Super Lube pen) where it makes contact with the bracket hole. That helped mine a good bit. The right orbit is legendary for slowing down the ball on Tommy haha.

Great advice! I just picked up the game recently and have found a few things that needed fixing. It seems good now except for every once in a awhile it just starts saying Tommy like crazy and the music stops lol. My guess is that it's the mirror switch.

Very cool that you work as an art director / designer. I used to do the same for a software studio down the street from you in Framingham.

If you're ever passing through Wrentham stop by to play some games and tell me all the things that would make my Tommy better haha.

Could you send me the psd or whatever for the Tommy cards if I PM you my email addy? They look great!

#291 3 years ago

Here's my Tommy going bananas.

I think I traced the problem to the models connector for the switch being loose where they connect. I zip tied them together and it seems ok now.

#292 3 years ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

Here's my Tommy going bananas.
» YouTube video
I think I traced the problem to the models connector for the switch being loose where they connect. I zip tied them together and it seems ok now.

Weird - it looks like the blinders are trying to open and are stuck too. They usually go off during ball search mode. Sometimes just pushing them up a bit will give them enough clearance to open. I actually had to bend the metal down a little that sits below them. I've heard the repeated "Tommy" mentioned when something is causing the sound board to constantly reboot. Let me know if you managed to fix it up!

#293 3 years ago
Quoted from Number41:

Weird - it looks like the blinders are trying to open and are stuck too. They usually go off during ball search mode. Sometimes just pushing them up a bit will give them enough clearance to open. I actually had to bend the metal down a little that sits below them. I've heard the repeated "Tommy" mentioned when something is causing the sound board to constantly reboot. Let me know if you managed to fix it up!

As weird as it sounds I really think it was the connector to the mirror being loose. I haven't had the issue since I ziptied them together. Fingers crossed. Thanks!

image_(resized).jpeg

#294 3 years ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

As weird as it sounds I really think it was the connector to the mirror being loose. I haven't had the issue since I ziptied them together. Fingers crossed. Thanks!

image_(resized).jpeg

Z connectors are notorious for being garbage. Replace em with a normal connector.

#295 3 years ago

The Who rocked last night !

20160502_075311_(resized).jpeg

20160501_222040_(resized).jpeg

#296 3 years ago

Ready for some new Tommy fun?

Check this out...

http://www.pinballcode.com/

#297 3 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I have one. It's used and a little bent, but the artwork is in great shape. It's definitely a lot nicer than the one on eBay. It's yours for free if you still need it.

Received this plastic and it is awesome! Thanks Brian, you are a premier example of the Good things about Pinside. Taking care of other Pinsiders.

#298 3 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

Ready for some new Tommy fun?
Check this out...
http://www.pinballcode.com/

No way! Awesome! Is here any way to order the actual ROM chip with the code in it from your website Chad?

#299 3 years ago
Quoted from MAJRob:

No way! Awesome! Is here any way to order the actual ROM chip with the code in it from your website Chad?

Sorry, no.

#300 3 years ago

I was so psyched when you joined the club...your change log sounds amazing

Thanks so much for another labor of love; donation made !!!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
3,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Sunset, SC
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Lighting - Led
TheDudeMods
Boards
PinSound
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Flipper Parts
TheDudeMods
There are 1144 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 23.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside