(Topic ID: 142990)

The Who's TOMMY Club - Can you hear me? Members Only!

By ChadH

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,080 posts
  • 169 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by cfh
  • Topic is favorited by 90 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

085AF859-72C3-4B7D-B978-C2257A5E6B4D (resized).jpeg
DEColor (resized).jpg
tommy (resized).jpg
tommy kn (resized).jpg
BF5C2535-9EC5-4E8C-83A3-146D60ABC3D9 (resized).jpeg
F3B15C2D-7A2F-4FEF-B39E-A4A2AF93F19D (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
D86747D0-AB5E-43FA-991A-12ED7E7EBCFF (resized).jpeg
Plastics Example - Tommy_1 (resized).jpg
Cliffys - Tommy (resized).jpg
Cointaker - Tommy (resized).jpg
20211113_112843 (resized).jpg
20211112_093018 (resized).jpg
20211111_225044 (resized).jpg
20211007_113128 (resized).jpg

There are 2,080 posts in this topic. You are on page 41 of 42.
#2001 6 months ago

Almost finished my rebuild. I put a Kruzman-cleared NOS playfield in.

#2002 6 months ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Almost finished my rebuild. I put a Kruzman-cleared NOS playfield in.

Wow! That looks fantastic!

#2003 6 months ago

Here's my silver ball target solution. It's so crazy it might just work.
20211007_112427 (resized).jpg
20211007_112538 (resized).jpg
20211007_113128 (resized).jpg
20211007_122313 (resized).jpg20211007_122345 (resized).jpg20211111_225044 (resized).jpg

Big chunk of super high density foam inside.
20211112_093018 (resized).jpg

#2004 6 months ago

Way to think outside the box! Does it actually work well with the spoon being hollow?

#2005 6 months ago
Quoted from Strohz:

Way to think outside the box! Does it actually work well with the spoon being hollow?

The switch operates perfectly and all seems ok. Early days though. It’s not spring steel so I expect fatigue problems at some point and possible snapping at the neck. See how we go.

#2006 6 months ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Here's my silver ball target solution. It's so crazy it might just work.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]
Big chunk of super high density foam inside.
[quoted image]

That’s awesome!

#2007 6 months ago

I like it... Very cool indeed!

#2008 6 months ago

Bought the Tommy Propeller Mod from TheDudeMods / BigLebowski for my friends Tommy, and it is looking great! Installation was easy with the added instruction manual with photo's. Think it cost me 5/10 minutes or so.

Added a 4 smd spotlight in the center also.

20211113_112843 (resized).jpg

#2009 6 months ago
Quoted from RobDutch:

Bought the Tommy Propeller Mod from TheDudeMods / BigLebowski for my friends Tommy, and it is looking great! Installation was easy with the added instruction manual with photo's. Think it cost me 5/10 minutes or so.
[quoted image]

Recommend swapping the propellers for the solid 3D type - makes a big difference as you can really see them spinning !

#2010 6 months ago

Any suggestions on what might look good as a decal around the speaker panel? Post any pictures if you have some suggestions. That area really needs a decal. Thanks.

#2011 6 months ago
Quoted from Ive:

Recommend swapping the propellers for the solid 3D type - makes a big difference as you can really see them spinning !

Great recommendation! Unfortunately the game is not mine, otherwise I would've put some neat propellers in

#2012 6 months ago

That plane mod looks great.

Do you know where I can get both (lit up engines and 3-D props)?

I'll try to lookup / find "TheDudeMods"

Thanks
Kerry

1 week later
#2013 6 months ago

Any thoughts on a mirror that only works intermittently? Some games it goes up and down fine, as expected. Some games it never moves. Once in a while it gets stuck about half way. So far, at least, it has come good eventually. Leads me to wonder if it is getting stuck on something?

Might it need cleaning or lubricating? How (and with what)? Does anyone have pictures or videos on working on the mirror?

#2014 6 months ago
Quoted from ArgyleRuby:

Any thoughts on a mirror that only works intermittently? Some games it goes up and down fine, as expected. Some games it never moves. Once in a while it gets stuck about half way. So far, at least, it has come good eventually. Leads me to wonder if it is getting stuck on something?
Might it need cleaning or lubricating? How (and with what)? Does anyone have pictures or videos on working on the mirror?

If it stops halfway, that could be a loose microswitch for the “fully down” or “fully up” position causing it to either prematurely trigger or not trigger at all.

I’ll edit this post in a minute with a link to a post earlier in this thread, I think I posted a video of it working at some point. My money would be on your switches not working as expected.

Here’s the link to the previous post, hope that helps!

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-whos-tommy-club-can-you-hear-me-members-only/page/40#post-6424238

#2015 6 months ago
Quoted from ArgyleRuby:

As a first step I would reseat any connectors associated with the mirror.

#2016 6 months ago
Quoted from ArgyleRuby:

On Data East, all motors are actuated by a relay. Look for a relay mounted under the playfield near the mirror motor. Often these relays get a cracked solder joint on the bottom. There will be 6 or 8 solder pads on the bottom. Try re-flowing the solder on all those pads.

2 weeks later
#2017 5 months ago

Picked this up last month - so, I'm on my Mod Journey... But I have done the full LED, and the full Cliffy kit all new Plastics (pretty much every plastic was in ROUGH shape... ) But the cabinet and playfield were in absolutely fantastic shape... Was terribly filthy, however... Just - all-over...

The game appeared to be bone stock, when I got it.
Though I think it has a custom Translite (which I don't really like).

The Cliffy's make the game a tad more difficult, but this game really needs that in my opinion (It's pretty easy to take this one all the way to "Pinball Wizard"). The Cliffys just LOOK great on this game too... Just very aesthetically pleasing...

In a collection, this is just a great game for fun / easily approachable / etc... Really like it...

Next month - Pinsound
Month after - Color DMD
Finally - Sit back & enjoy!

Cliffys - Tommy (resized).jpgCointaker - Tommy (resized).jpgPlastics Example - Tommy_1 (resized).jpg
#2018 5 months ago
Quoted from RhettDR:

Picked this up last month - so, I'm on my Mod Journey... But I have done the full LED, and the full Cliffy kit all new Plastics (pretty much every plastic was in ROUGH shape... ) But the cabinet and playfield were in absolutely fantastic shape... Was terribly filthy, however... Just - all-over...
The Cliffy's make the game a tad more difficult, but this game really needs that in my opinion (It's pretty easy to take this one all the way to "Pinball Wizard"). The Cliffys just LOOK great on this game too... Just very aesthetically pleasing...
In a collection, this is just a great game for fun / easily approachable / etc... Really like it...
Next month - Pinsound
Month after - Color DMD

Looks like you are on the right path. Looks good. A Pinsound will amaze you. If you can, I sure do recommend their speakers. Helps a lot. You order from France, good people. Leaving color dmd for last is smart. Icing on the cake. I did the same. If you want to shop translights, retrorefurbs in UK has one I put on mine. They have quite a bit.

#2019 5 months ago
Quoted from RhettDR:

Next month - Pinsound
Month after - Color DMD

Oddly you actually have the original prototype translite. I picked one up ( I kind of like it) but the bottom couple of inches were cut off. Probably someone putting it in a frame. Sadly that prohibits me from installing the thing.

So, unless it’s a knock off, you have an oddity. Someone has been trying to sell one forever on eBay for $175, so I don’t know that it’s really an expensive thing, just cool if you happen to like it.

Tommy is a great game. I did the pinsound and pinwoofer combo and love it. Added a shaker too. One of my favorites.

#2020 5 months ago
Quoted from RhettDR:

Next month - Pinsound
Month after - Color DMD

Psst...

https://www.pinballcode.com/tommy5

#2021 5 months ago
Quoted from RhettDR:

Next month - Pinsound
Month after - Color DMD

If you prefer this translite, PM and I can tell you where to get it in the US.

#2023 5 months ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

If you prefer this translite, PM and I can tell you where to get it in the US.[quoted image]

I bought that one from Retrorefurbs here in the UK. I wasn’t happy with the quality of it - the colours were way more muted than the website images, some of the artwork was iffy , areas of white weren’t consistent.

I stuck with the Prototype design in the end which I think overall is the best of what’s available .

#2024 5 months ago
Quoted from Ive:

I bought that one from Retrorefurbs here in the UK. I wasn’t happy with the quality of it - the colours were way more muted than the website images, some of the artwork was iffy , areas of white weren’t consistent.
I stuck with the Prototype design in the end which I think overall is the best of what’s available .

That's too bad. I was very happy with the one I had made. With the LEDs it actually looks 3D in some parts. Jim

#2025 5 months ago

I'm looking to shop out my Tommy over the holidays. Does anyone know where to get the auto-ball launcher? The one listed on Marco's says that it doesn't work in Tommy. I'm trying to take advantage of the last day of Marco's free shipping today.

#2026 5 months ago
Quoted from JackG:

I'm looking to shop out my Tommy over the holidays. Does anyone know where to get the auto-ball launcher? The one listed on Marco's says that it doesn't work in Tommy. I'm trying to take advantage of the last day of Marco's free shipping today.

I changed mine. I couldn’t find one to buy. I saw on Action Pinballs site a nice replacement you have to create. Modern Stern, like Iron Man. Go to their site, data east auto launch. Parts are listed and good instructions. Be sure and get a new style shooter switch. It works great, but, you gotta make it happen.

3 weeks later
#2027 4 months ago

Thinking about doing a topside teardown of my Tommy to give it a good thorough clean/wax, replace all the rubbers, and finish installing the harder-to-get-to Cliffy protectors. I'd probably just do a partial teardown under normal circumstances, but I'm planning on listing it sometime in the next few months and want it to present as well as possible.

Anybody have any success/horror stories for this process on a Tommy? Any mechs or anything that are particularly challenging to remove/reattach?

Thanks!

#2028 4 months ago
Quoted from JStoltz:

Thinking about doing a topside teardown of my Tommy to give it a good thorough clean/wax, replace all the rubbers, and finish installing the harder-to-get-to Cliffy protectors. I'd probably just do a partial teardown under normal circumstances, but I'm planning on listing it sometime in the next few months and want it to present as well as possible.
Anybody have any success/horror stories for this process on a Tommy? Any mechs or anything that are particularly challenging to remove/reattach?
Thanks!

Not really anything that comes to mind. I remember it being very simple and straight forward. Ramps weren’t any problem at all.

#2029 4 months ago
Quoted from JStoltz:

Thanks!

Not really, But for appearance, you might want to use some Matrix parts to light the wing span, Nose, and Bomber Props.

#2030 4 months ago
Quoted from JStoltz:

Thanks!

It's a straightforward one by 90s standards. Keep track of the numerous clear plastic ball guards - easy for these to be a head scratcher when you reassemble. There is a post somewhere in this thread where someone detailed where they all should go.

#2031 4 months ago
Quoted from JStoltz:

Thanks!

Take pictures of the spotlight assembly on the left. It can be tough.

#2032 4 months ago

The blinder on a friends Tommy really struggles to open and close. Any adjustments to open/close it with more power? The blinders are a 3D printed repro, guessing part of the problem lies there or the mechanism is missing a part or two.

Any advice? Thanks!

#2033 4 months ago
Quoted from RobDutch:

The blinder on a friends Tommy really struggles to open and close. Any adjustments to open/close it with more power? The blinders are a 3D printed repro, guessing part of the problem lies there or the mechanism is missing a part or two.
Any advice? Thanks!

I don’t know about more power. The adjustments are really for positioning. There are lots of on line photos and videos. Start by making sure the mechanical aspects of the device are correct. There shouldn’t be any substantial resistance to opening and closing.

#2034 4 months ago

Hey, just wanna give a random appreciation post for your 5.0, been using it for almost 6 years now. Thanks a lot!

#2035 4 months ago
Quoted from MauriceSTYS:

Hey, just wanna give a random appreciation post for your 5.0, been using it for almost 6 years now. Thanks a lot!

Thank you. Wow, has it been that long? Ahh, back when we were younger and more innocent.

#2036 4 months ago
Quoted from ChadH:

Thank you. Wow, has it been that long? Ahh, back when we were younger and more innocent.

I remember the great excitement of testing new code on my favourite pinball machine. Still loving it Chad - amazing job

#2037 4 months ago
Quoted from Ive:

I remember the great excitement of testing new code on my favourite pinball machine. Still loving it Chad - amazing job

Wouldn't have been nearly as good without all your suggestions. Was a blast tossing ideas back and forth with you!

For everyone else... Ive was the my main source for rules change ideas for Tommy. There is a good reason why IVE is now #2 in the default high score initials.

Dan Loosen also suggested a bunch of changes for Tommy. Matt Schmidt lent me his game so I could do the update. Many thanks to them too!

#2038 4 months ago

RIP Lyman Sheats. Thanks for Tommy and all the other games you worked on. Making the world a more fun place .

#2039 4 months ago
Quoted from Ive:

RIP Lyman Sheats. Thanks for Tommy and all the other games you worked on. Making the world a more fun place .

I could be wrong, but I believe Tommy was the first game Lyman worked on.

#2040 4 months ago

RIP Lyman! Definitely feels now like the big break & where it all started, it shows! Always felt Tommy was ahead of it’s time, like a modern day Stern, love this game.

#2041 3 months ago
Quoted from RobDutch:

[quoted image]

Where did you get the 4 SMD spots from?

#2042 3 months ago

I am redoing my Tommy cabinet with the custom art from Retro Refurbs. This is my first cabinet artwork application.

What color should I paint the cabinet prior to applying the side art? The original cabinet was yellow, which I could match and redo. But this custom artwork only has a little of the original yellow in it. Since the cabinet paint will show on the edge of the wood, as well as where the artwork ends, I want everything to blend in.

https://www.retrorefurbs.com/shop/the-whos-tommy-hand-drawn-pinball-translite/#single/0

#2043 3 months ago
Quoted from lhammer610:

Im Only seeing Non Ghosting right now....
https://www.cometpinball.com/products/4smd-non-ghosting

I didnt see regular, but you can email.

Heres a Bulb I created That I use a few on almost every game, depending on location.

4 Straight up for light, but a ring of 4, around the base for a Low 360 degree Light.
In some games, its be my best choice in GI for getting light On the playfield level, over above.

#2044 3 months ago
Quoted from ChadH:

Wouldn't have been nearly as good without all your suggestions. Was a blast tossing ideas back and forth with you!
For everyone else... Ive was the my main source for rules change ideas for Tommy. There is a good reason why IVE is now #2 in the default high score initials.
Dan Loosen also suggested a bunch of changes for Tommy. Matt Schmidt lent me his game so I could do the update. Many thanks to them too!

This likely isn't the place for this, but I had to quit using the alternate 5 code a while back because, during tournaments, sometimes when people would get a multiball going and 4 or more balls were on the playfield, occasionally the game would just reset. It never happens with the original software and it seemed totally random. May put it back in just cause I liked the changes quite a bit.

#2045 3 months ago
Quoted from shimoda:

This likely isn't the place for this, but I had to quit using the alternate 5 code a while back because, during tournaments, sometimes when people would get a multiball going and 4 or more balls were on the playfield, occasionally the game would just reset. It never happens with the original software and it seemed totally random. May put it back in just cause I liked the changes quite a bit.

Interesting. Never experienced that in years of using Chads code. Anyone else found this ?

#2046 3 months ago
Quoted from Ive:

Interesting. Never experienced that in years of using Chads code. Anyone else found this ?

No. Never had that happen.
And have ChadH )thanks again awesome code) code in for approx 5yrs also.
Brings out so many more elements and makes better use of blinders and multi balls.

#2047 3 months ago
Quoted from lhammer610:

I am redoing my Tommy cabinet with the custom art from Retro Refurbs. This is my first cabinet artwork application.
What color should I paint the cabinet prior to applying the side art? The original cabinet was yellow, which I could match and redo. But this custom artwork only has a little of the original yellow in it. Since the cabinet paint will show on the edge of the wood, as well as where the artwork ends, I want everything to blend in.
https://www.retrorefurbs.com/shop/the-whos-tommy-hand-drawn-pinball-translite/#single/0

Sand, fill all dings, sand again, and basically get it ready as if you are going to paint it. Primer it and paint it the same blue as the background of the cabinet decal/sticker/side art. I went with the original yellow and so painted a yellow base. Came out great.

#2048 3 months ago
Quoted from lhammer610:

Good question!
Think I took it out of a WMS Indiana Jones ledkit from led4pin (in the Netherlands) once but not 100% sure Leds were too bright for my liking in the game.
You can order 4smd leds everywhere, but if you live in the USA: I hear great things about Comet Pinball.

#2049 3 months ago
Quoted from Ive:

Great (sarcasm). I just got my shipment of translite and cabinet art from Retrorefurbs. Am in the process of fixing the cabinet now to get ready to apply the new cabinet art. I hope it looks good.

#2050 3 months ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Im Only seeing Non Ghosting right now....
https://www.cometpinball.com/products/4smd-non-ghosting
I didnt see regular, but you can email.
Heres a Bulb I created That I use a few on almost every game, depending on location.
4 Straight up for light, but a ring of 4, around the base for a Low 360 degree Light.
In some games, its be my best choice in GI for getting light On the playfield level, over above.[quoted image]

It turns out that their 2SMD bulbs are slightly brighter than the 4SMD bulbs, because the SMDs used in the 2SMD bulbs are bigger. Always the fine print....

But they don't have the 2SMD's in non-ghosting.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Flipper Parts
TheDudeMods
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
$ 18.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
$ 99.00
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
There are 2,080 posts in this topic. You are on page 41 of 42.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, become a Pinside+ member!