(Topic ID: 142990)

The Who's TOMMY Club - Can you hear me? Members Only!

By ChadH

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,268 posts
  • 189 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 15 days ago by Cloud7
  • Topic is favorited by 101 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240402_190633 (resized).jpg
IMG_0837 (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
208B62BB-BFC2-4887-BF1F-C1553C296DC4 (resized).jpeg
E39892B0-EAE6-405E-8081-1FCCBE1A62BC (resized).png
D7947C2E-4557-4064-80FD-F244F3C06761 (resized).jpeg
20230802_224904 (resized).jpg
20230802_224851 (resized).jpg
IMG_3423 (resized).jpeg
Screen Shot 2023-07-27 at 9.35.26 AM (resized).png
IMG_3415 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3413 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3410 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3411 (resized).jpeg
Screen Shot 2023-07-26 at 11.04.34 AM (resized).png
Screen Shot 2023-07-26 at 11.03.38 AM (resized).png
There are 2,268 posts in this topic. You are on page 40 of 46.
#1951 2 years ago
Quoted from bsrhardy:

Thanks for all the help from this community. I am almost there. The only thing kicking my ass is this mirror test.
I can get in DIAG, GOTO Mirror Test, but can only test the UP. I cannot seem to find a way to test the DOWN. I cannot, even trying every button, to get the test to change to DOWN.
I need a bit of handholding here. Thoughts or guidance.

Sounds like your motor is gone, and the connection needs help. I just had to replace my motor. Marco has them. Definitely check your connection, though. It should attempt to go down.

#1952 2 years ago
Quoted from bsrhardy:

Thanks for all the help from this community. I am almost there. The only thing kicking my ass is this mirror test.
I can get in DIAG, GOTO Mirror Test, but can only test the UP. I cannot seem to find a way to test the DOWN. I cannot, even trying every button, to get the test to change to DOWN.
I need a bit of handholding here. Thoughts or guidance.

Just checked on my machine-- when you're in diagnostics on the mirror test, the start button runs the motor for the mirror. the motor only goes one direction, so you can't "reverse" it. Picture a clock and at "12" is the up limit switch and "6" is the down limit switch. As the hand moves around the clock, it should engage the "Up" switch at "12" and the "Down" switch at "6."

12 and 6 may not be the actual placement for the limit switches, that's just easier to think about. If you lift the playfield, you're looking for a switch on two extremes of that motor's travel.

I'll upload a video of the test in action in just a few; phone died right after I took the video.

EDIT: here you go.. uploaded to youtube as an unlisted video, never had to post a video on pinside before so not sure if there's a better way! In the video I'm just holding the start button.. you can see the mirror go up, then back down, then back up, and register "UP" and "DOWN" at the appropriate times.

Also I think this is the mechanism underneath (page 56 of the english manual on IPDB.org). The two switches are circled in red; that's likely where you'll find the problem (or at least the next clue).

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#1953 2 years ago

Perfect, thanks for the help. I can hear it clicking but it doesn't move. Time to replace.

#1954 2 years ago
Quoted from bsrhardy:

Perfect, thanks for the help. I can hear it clicking but it doesn't move. Time to replace.

Might also be worth checking to see if the cam attached to the motor (the part that spins around and actually touches the switches) is jammed somehow. Seems possible that the cam may have come loose and collided with something it shouldn't, which could have damaged the motor.

Not sure if those motors will "slip" if they're over-torqued or not. I can imagine a scenario where the cam is bound and the motor is slipping to protect itself from damage. That could result in the clicking you're hearing, and would mean the motor doesn't need replacing-- just a cam set-screw adjustment.

That's a lot of if's, but worth checking and saving yourself $75 or whatever a motor is gonna cost you. I guess if you find the cam to appear jammed, you could probably just remove the cam from the motor and see if the motor runs without the cam attached.

Someone with more repair experience might have a better idea as well, this is just one amateur's thoughts.

#1955 2 years ago

Marco has them. Easy to replace. You will have to repin the connector . I just had to go it.

#1956 2 years ago

I love this pin so much.

#1957 2 years ago
Quoted from RojerLockless:

I love this pin so much.

It’s a grand pin. Can’t beat the modes, shots and the blinder is too cool

#1958 2 years ago

Does anyone do a speaker panel decal for Tommy?
Most other pins have an aftermarket one.
The Metallica one from Retro refurbs May work?

#1959 2 years ago
Quoted from Sandman454:

Always wanted that as well. On the same note, anyone ever considered powder coating their Tommy? Thanks.

#1960 2 years ago
Quoted from Sandman454:

Don't think it will fit as made for a Stern not Data East.

1 week later
#1961 2 years ago

Hi guys, I'm ordering a new rubber kit for my Tommy and I was suprised to see that the game actually uses 17x 1/2" post sleeves (marked by H in the picture), apparently below the rubber ring in the same position. I currently do not have these installed.

Am I correct that these 1/2 sleeves should go below the rubber ring and around the plastic post (which have the dent which holds the rubber ring)?

Thanks!

6598a90c889babcb0d0604b5685e3eed (resized).jpg6598a90c889babcb0d0604b5685e3eed (resized).jpg
#1962 2 years ago
Quoted from Svend:

Hi guys, I'm ordering a new rubber kit for my Tommy and I was suprised to see that the game actually uses 17x 1/2" post sleeves (marked by H in the picture), apparently below the rubber ring in the same position. I currently do not have these installed.
Am I correct that these 1/2 sleeves should go below the rubber ring and around the plastic post (which have the dent which holds the rubber ring)?
Thanks![quoted image]

Yes, you are correct. Titan has them in colors,too.

#1963 2 years ago
Quoted from Svend:

Quoted from HIPPY:

Yes, you are correct. Titan has them in colors, too.

Yep. I did white rings with grey post sleeves. I think the combo looks great ...

Tommy (resized).jpgTommy (resized).jpg
#1964 2 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Yep. I did white rings with grey post sleeves. I think the combo looks great ...[quoted image]

Those look great. You are right, good combo. I got blue posts with red rings. Good job.
Tommy is my oldest, higher maintenance, but, it is a keeper.

2 weeks later
#1965 2 years ago

Hey,
I can now finally say I'm part of the Tommy's family!
Next things to do: buy new blinders and a new topper.

P.S. It's still on ROM v.3.00, do you suggest me upgrading to 4.00 or to 5.00? Thanks!

20210906_150352.jpg20210906_150352.jpg
#1966 2 years ago
Quoted from Blamer:

Hey,
P.S. It's still on ROM v.3.00, do you suggest me upgrading to 4.00 or to 5.00? Thanks!
[quoted image]

Congratulations. Amazing game. Definitely get the blinders. Consider sound upgrades with pinwoofer for umph, and Pinsound for a better score and quality.

#1967 2 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

Congratulations. Amazing game. Definitely get the blinders. Consider sound upgrades with pinwoofer for umph, and Pinsound for a better score and quality.

Thanks, you're right, added to the to do list!

#1968 2 years ago
Quoted from Blamer:

Hey,
[quoted image]

Def upgrade to Chads 5.0 code - a lot of improvements !

https://www.pinballcode.com/tommy5

#1969 2 years ago
Quoted from Ive:

Agree; I was hesitant to do so at first but I’ve never looked back. Modes are a lot more fun, more usage of the blinders, etc.

#1970 2 years ago
Quoted from Ive:

I had no idea this was made! Im Happy to donate, but dont know who might be burning these ROMs,
and offering the final product.

Any suggestions?

#1971 2 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I had no idea this was made! Im Happy to donate, but dont know who might be burning these ROMs,
and offering the final product.
Any suggestions?

Astill

#1972 2 years ago
Quoted from Ive:

Good to know the upgrade is from Chad! I had his ROM too on my previous Lethal Weapon 3 pin and it was a great improvement over the stock one.
Definitely getting it!

#1973 2 years ago

Blinders: DONE. Bought new blinders, servo (thanks @bakerman) and controller.

I will replace the stickers with darker ones

ROM (v.5) arriving in a few days

Next step: Topper

3 weeks later
#1974 2 years ago

I have an odd (and old) problem with my Tommy, I think it is somehow related to the power supply.

Up to 4 years ago I ran my Tommy with a LED OCD, but I would see issues with jackpots randomly being score during multiball. I removed the LED OCD (and moved the machine to my work) and it ran perfectly again.

I have now again moved the game a few months ago and it has run good, apart from the occasional slow start from the DMD (garbage till apr. 20 seconds after booting) and sometimes the CPU appeared to run at half speed: Lamps would flash slow, sounds would play delayed.

Now, tonight I have also reinstalled the LED OCD and the DMD now fails to start often, I have seen the CPU issue multiple times and the random jackpots during multiball have returned.

Is there any chance that the LED OCD draws extra current from the lamp matrix circuit and messes up a lot of other other things? I played a game with the multimeter hooked up to the 5V CPU test point, and it was rock steady between 4,88V - 4,90V which is a good value I think.

Any advice welcome, thanks!

#1975 2 years ago
Quoted from Svend:

I have an odd (and old) problem with my Tommy, I think it is somehow related to the power supply.
Up to 4 years ago I ran my Tommy with a LED OCD, but I would see issues with jackpots randomly being score during multiball. I removed the LED OCD (and moved the machine to my work) and it ran perfectly again.
I have now again moved the game a few months ago and it has run good, apart from the occasional slow start from the DMD (garbage till apr. 20 seconds after booting) and sometimes the CPU appeared to run at half speed: Lamps would flash slow, sounds would play delayed.
Now, tonight I have also reinstalled the LED OCD and the DMD now fails to start often, I have seen the CPU issue multiple times and the random jackpots during multiball have returned.
Is there any chance that the LED OCD draws extra current from the lamp matrix circuit and messes up a lot of other other things? I played a game with the multimeter hooked up to the 5V CPU test point, and it was rock steady between 4,88V - 4,90V which is a good value I think.
I read on this website https://techniek.flipperwinkel.nl/desega/index3.htm#lamp that the 12V for the DMD is generated from the 18V from the lamp matrix. Since the DMD has more issues working correctly with the LED OCD connected, is there any chance that something in the 18V circuit has gone wrong?

I think the LED actually draws less current than the original DMD. I had a power issue with my Tommy when I first got it. The original DMD wouldn't work but when I swapped it out for the COLORDMD, haven't had an issue since. I was told the COLORDMD used less power. Not sure if that helps?

#1976 2 years ago

I'm not talking about a LED color DMD, but about a LED OCD board used to fade the insert leds

#1977 2 years ago
Quoted from Svend:

I'm not talking about a LED color DMD, but about a LED OCD board used to fade the insert leds

I was right, doesn't help Sorry about that.

#1978 2 years ago
Quoted from Svend:

You could try rebuilding the power supply. Or just put in a new one. Cheaper than the Led ocd board.

https://www.pinballlife.com/rottendog-data-east-power-supply-board.html

#1979 2 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

You could try rebuilding the power supply. Or just put in a new one. Cheaper than the Led ocd board.
https://www.pinballlife.com/rottendog-data-east-power-supply-board.html

One of the takeaways from reading the High End Pins thread since the beginning is Rottendog products are garbage.

1 week later
#1980 2 years ago

I have a Davi's trough board (opto type replacement) if anyone is interested with wiring harness. 120 shipped . Shoot me a PM if interested....

20211016_080553 (resized).jpg20211016_080553 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#1981 2 years ago

Have a lead on one... But perhaps a little closer... Anybody looking to move theirs?

#1982 2 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

The game always had blinders as far as I know and they are a must. Once you upgrade the software to v5.0 (think that’s the version designation), they are used a bit more. Several folks make a reproduction. Here is a blinder set up on Pinside:
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1203-thedudemods/02682-tommy-blinder-assembly-repro

Has anyone ordered these dudesmod blinders from Tommy? Starting to work on mine and noticed that the blinders are missing.

#1983 2 years ago

New dust cover for glass

BC91C84C-3FB8-4096-A71D-1CCA663C3D99 (resized).jpegBC91C84C-3FB8-4096-A71D-1CCA663C3D99 (resized).jpeg
#1984 2 years ago

Any ideas or help on this issue please. Much appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

#1985 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

New dust cover for glass
[quoted image]

I like that.

#1986 2 years ago

Thanks, got it on Collage.com. It was free but they charged me $17 shipping. Fits well on the pins. Does the job.

#1987 2 years ago
Quoted from Sandman454:

Thanks in advance.

Quoted from Sandman454:

Thanks in advance.

Did you check all the fuses?

#1988 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Did you check all the fuses?

Yes all fuses checked and tested.
Also replaced powerboard. As it was much worse with no light activity or sound and DMD stopped.
Hopefully I can get to the bottom of it.

#1989 2 years ago
Quoted from Sandman454:

Thanks in advance.

Try re-seating all ribbon cables.

#1990 2 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Try re-seating all ribbon cables.

Got it fixed.
Reseated all cable connections.
Was better but Still had an issue

Rechecked sound to cpu board.
This fixed remaining issue.
All working
Put old power board back in to test.
No good was back to stage 1 of problem(Could not see any visible issues with board and fuses and holders checked good).
Put XPin powerboard back in and all working as it should.
-Old power board has an issue that I may have looked at for spare.
Thanks.

#1991 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

New dust cover for glass
[quoted image]

That's Smexy how much / where'd you get something like that? Depending on price I might snag one.

Or maybe I can just get a friend to print out something who related on a banner and drape it over it in the same kind of way hmmm.

#1992 2 years ago
Quoted from RojerLockless:That's Smexy how much / where'd you get something like that? Depending on price I might snag one.
Or maybe I can just get a friend to print out something who related on a banner and drape it over it in the same kind of way hmmm.

Came from Collage.com, basically free but $15 shipping in US. Try the code ‘GIVETHANKS’ or search online for free blanket. It is the 30x40 size. I just ordered another 4, just paid shipping.

#1993 2 years ago

Got a weird issue on the Tommy I'm working on for a friend. When in attract mode, pushing the flipper buttons triggers coils.

Left button: first the through upkicker fires, after that the autoshooter fires.
Right button: the autoshooter fires.

Noticed that they do share a wire, purple-orange.

Anyone got a clue?

20211105_190356 (resized).jpg20211105_190356 (resized).jpg
#1994 2 years ago
Quoted from RobDutch:

Got a weird issue on the Tommy I'm working on for a friend. When in attract mode, pushing the flipper buttons triggers coils.
Left button: first the through upkicker fires, after that the autoshooter fires.
Anyone got a clue? [quoted image]

The switch matrix does have some common rows between the flippers, shooter lane switch, and trough.

My money would be on those last two switch rows needing some attention. I’ve only ever troubleshot switch columns/rows that DIDN’T work, so obviously this is a different problem (one switch triggering multiple), but I’m pretty sure it’s a similar process to find/fix.
E14185A4-73A1-45C1-9FA9-0B4695A45A32 (resized).jpegE14185A4-73A1-45C1-9FA9-0B4695A45A32 (resized).jpeg

#1995 2 years ago
Quoted from JStoltz:

The switch matrix does have some common rows between the flippers, shooter lane switch, and trough.
My money would be on those last two switch rows needing some attention. I’ve only ever troubleshot switch columns/rows that DIDN’T work, so obviously this is a different problem (one switch triggering multiple), but I’m pretty sure it’s a similar process to find/fix.
[quoted image]

The more I think about this, the more I’m convinced.

I think you hitting the right flipper is tripping the shooter lane switch (same row), which tells the machine there’s an unexpected ball in attract mode, causing it to auto-plunge to get it back to the trough.

And hitting the left flipper might be tripping the ball trough switch for ball #7 (are there actually 7 balls in this game, or 6?) which might be telling the machine there are too many balls and it needs to get rid of one (or at least eject one so they can re-load in the trough properly). I would guess the auto-plunge in this case is just the result of the shooter lane switch being tripped (normal behavior) and not actually part of the problem.

I’m curious to know what you find out!

#1996 2 years ago
Quoted from RobDutch:

Anyone got a clue? [quoted image]

SOLVED! The issue was a weird one haha.
The left ramp entry switch was stuck on because it was held by 2 (too tiny) nails instead of 2 screws.
With all 6 balls in the through while the left ramp entry was activated, pushing the flipper buttons sent the game into a state that should not be possible: no balls in play, yet switches are activated.

Ones I took the nails out of the switch and put the correct screws in, the issue was solved. Don't ask me how long it took to find the solution JStoltz your comments got me to find the issue, thank you very much! The left ramp entry is in the same column as the left and right flipper haha.

#1997 2 years ago

Hey folks- new here. What an awesome group!

My Tommy machine has never had the bomber plastic. When I bought it I thought I’d replace it but I haven’t been able to find one (I’ve owned this machine for 9 years!).

Any thoughts on what to do?

Cheers!

#1998 2 years ago
Quoted from Stoaks:

Hey folks- new here. What an awesome group!
My Tommy machine has never had the bomber plastic. When I bought it I thought I’d replace it but I haven’t been able to find one (I’ve owned this machine for 9 years!).
Any thoughts on what to do?
Cheers!

3D print one - if you could get the loan of an original ?

Be surprised if someone isn't sitting on an old populated/semi populated playfield with one on.

#1999 2 years ago
Quoted from Ive:

3D print one - if you could get the loan of an original ?
Be surprised if someone isn't sitting on an old populated/semi populated playfield with one on.

Thanks- yes, I have 3 advanced 3D printers and a great engineering team if I could get my hands on a model or design.

Searching for files

#2000 2 years ago
Quoted from Stoaks:

Thanks- yes, I have 3 advanced 3D printers and a great engineering team if I could get my hands on a model or design.
Searching for files

If you know what type of bomber it's based on, you might be able to find a file you could use online.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 18.95
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinball Haus

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

€ 25.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pin-Decals

$ 18.95
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

€ 27.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 28.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.95
Flipper Parts
TheDudeMods

Machine - For Sale
Fairfax, VA
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Lighting - Led
TheDudeMods

There are 2,268 posts in this topic. You are on page 40 of 46.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-whos-tommy-club-can-you-hear-me-members-only/page/40 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.