(Topic ID: 142990)

The Who's TOMMY Club - Can you hear me? Members Only!

By ChadH

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,268 posts
  • 189 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 20 days ago by Cloud7
  • Topic is favorited by 101 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240402_190633 (resized).jpg
IMG_0837 (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
208B62BB-BFC2-4887-BF1F-C1553C296DC4 (resized).jpeg
E39892B0-EAE6-405E-8081-1FCCBE1A62BC (resized).png
D7947C2E-4557-4064-80FD-F244F3C06761 (resized).jpeg
20230802_224904 (resized).jpg
20230802_224851 (resized).jpg
IMG_3423 (resized).jpeg
Screen Shot 2023-07-27 at 9.35.26 AM (resized).png
IMG_3415 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3413 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3410 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3411 (resized).jpeg
Screen Shot 2023-07-26 at 11.04.34 AM (resized).png
Screen Shot 2023-07-26 at 11.03.38 AM (resized).png
There are 2,268 posts in this topic. You are on page 39 of 46.
#1901 2 years ago
Quoted from ArgyleRuby:

A couple of people have already said that they upgraded to a color DMD. Is there more than one brand? Did you have a specific program/file to update the colors or are you just stuck with one color? I am in Australia and I found a vendor that is selling "Pin2DMD Evo 128x32 Colour DMD LED Displays," but when I inquired about pre-sales setup he said there wasn't a Tommy file available for that model at this time. He appears to be sourcing his files from VPUniverse. When I first started looking at his product last week - I hem and haw quite a bit - I really thought I had found a Tommy file but when I went back to VPU I could not find one at the link he was pointing at.
Any help?

This is the company that offers a color version...
https://shop.colordmd.com/led-replacement-display-for-the-whos-tommy-pinball-wizard-pinball-machine/

#1902 2 years ago

Ah, thanks. I think this other type relies on fansourced files. Too bad. That would get extra pricey with the dollar conversion and shipping.

#1903 2 years ago

After 14 years Tommy has left the building. I had great fun with it over the years. I now am enjoying Guns n Roses and this one will never leave i think.
Have fun all.

#1904 2 years ago
Quoted from cybevenom:

After 14 years Tommy has left the building. I had great fun with it over the years. I now am enjoying Guns n Roses and this one will never leave i think.
Have fun all.

I think eventually my two GnRs will leave before my Tommy ever does. One of my two keepers, Tommy and Elvis at the senior home

#1905 2 years ago
Quoted from cybevenom:

After 14 years Tommy has left the building. I had great fun with it over the years. I now am enjoying Guns n Roses and this one will never leave I think.

They are DE's two best games by far, in my opinion. I love mine!
Tommy and GnR (resized).jpgTommy and GnR (resized).jpg

#1906 2 years ago

Ok Who fans, I need suggestions for great live Who tracks that I can add to a new Pinsound orchestration. Ideally looking for tracks with long rockin musical segments. Or any really good Who concerts you can suggest. Ideally looking for concerts from the 70s. Isle of Wight, Leeds and Kilburn seem to be the best recordings. Thanks for the help!

#1907 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Ok Who fans, I need suggestions for great live Who tracks that I can add to a new Pinsound orchestration. Ideally looking for tracks with long rockin musical segments. Or any really good Who concerts you can suggest. Ideally looking for concerts from the 70s. Isle of Wight, Leeds and Kilburn seem to be the best recordings. Thanks for the help!

Isle of Wight songs: Amazing Journey & Sparks

#1908 2 years ago
Quoted from gjm:

Isle of Wight songs: Amazing Journey & Sparks

Using those for sure. Just exactly what I am looking for. Thanks.

#1909 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Saw this posted on Facebook, alternate Tommy playfield with six bumpers and apparently the ball drops from the plane. Only 10 made according to the owner.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Yep . Prototype. There has been some gameplay video up on Youtube for years. Unfortunately its shot from a low perspective so its hard to see clearly how it plays differently. Would love to see a decent overhead video.

#1910 2 years ago
Quoted from robotron911:

If there was ever a proper use of the word "retarded", it would be in reference to the asking price of that pin. That and the Matrix/JM/proto JM combo that has a $125K asking price.

I agree the $125k is retarded on that combo but at least that guy who is out in CA is 100% legit. I have my doubts about the $100k proto Tommy in MA, feels like a just another CL scam. Anyone out there seen this game in person or know the seller?

#1911 2 years ago

This is a good reference for those wanting to create or change a Pinsound orchestration for their Tommy pinball machine. I recorded voice recordings of each of the music, jingle and single tracks so I could try to identify where they are used during game play. This is a work in progress and likely a lot of the music tracks are actually never used. These are the tracks I have been able to identify so far. Some modes have more than one track in the music folder and I'm not sure if only one is used or maybe the second/third track is used if you are able to progress with this mode?

If anyone has any to add, please let me know. Hopefully this will allow Pinsound orchestration developers to improve the existing orchestrations and increase the number of orchestrations available to everyone. Thank you.

Music

0057299608-THERE_S_A_DOCTOR - start of the There is a doctor mode
0107992171-HOLIDAY_CAMP - Holiday Camp mode
0199340819-VIDEOGAME - Video game mode
0213238042-PINBALL_WIZARD_MUSIC - music after ball launch #2 (likely the most used track in the game)
0218315275-END_OF_BALL - music after the end of all balls
0242980636-SALLY_SIMPSON - Sally Simpson mode
0378774439-SILVERBALL - Silver Ball mode
0406258802-pinball_wizard_INTRO - start of Ball #2
0821073879-extra_ball_countdown - Extra ball after ball #3 if push extra ball button under start button
1309182003-CHRISTMAS - Christmas mode
2056200712-CAN_YOU_HEAR_ME - Tommy can you hear me mode
2258225797-GAME_START - start of ball #1
2364928823-SENSATION - when hit one jackpot ramp during multiball
2427530366-AMAZING_JOURNEY - when hit both jackpot ramps during multiball
3163492263-I_M_FREE - start of TOMMY multiball
3278941699-TOMMY - start of 3-5 (depending on how many balls you have your game set for); also start of TOMMY "Go to the mirror" before multiball
3787612368-FIDDLE_ABOUT_MISSION - Fiddle About mission

Jingle

1470543569-DONT_MOVE - when drain ball restart at beginning of ball
1627243062-UNION_JACK - short music that plays before a mode starts
1755312272-EXTRA_BALL_LIT - music that plays when you light extra ball
2758581048-CREDIT_AWARD - music that plays when you match and get a free credit
2966189715-EXTRA_BALL - music that plays when you achieve an extra ball

Single

3624980120-LISTENING_TO_YOU - music that plays after the game (not sure when 1482479033-LISTENING_TO_YOU is used? Maybe on a random basis. Best to put same songs in each folder.)

#1912 2 years ago

Having a bad day… two pins went down, game room stereo receiver went spuds up and so I’m done for the day.
So my Tommy was working great as usual, then for the first time ever - reboot.
When I turned it back on, all lights rapidly flashing on and off with audible click.
I have an EnerGI board, pinsound, pinwoofer, and LEDs for all but flashers.
I have not begun to look into it yet - to pissed - but wondered if anything jumped out at anyone before I start looking into it.

#1913 2 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

Having a bad day… two pins went down, game room stereo receiver went spuds up and so I’m done for the day.
When I turned it back on, all lights rapidly flashing on and off with audible click.
I have not begun to look into it yet - to pissed - but wondered if anything jumped out at anyone before I start looking into it.

Not sure? I would start with the fuses. Fuses cause so many stupid issues. Good luck.

#1914 2 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

I would start with unplugging the ribbon cables and reseating them. This helps on a lot of older games. GI plug-in, too.

#1915 2 years ago
Quoted from HIPPY:

I would start with unplugging the ribbon cables and reseating them. This helps on a lot of older games. GI plug-in, too.

Agree. My Baywatch refused to boot and was acting weird the other day ..... reseated ribbons and connectors to power board. All good again. I should of done one at a time really to pinpoint the culprit. But anyway its working fine again

#1916 2 years ago
Quoted from Ive:

Agree. My Baywatch refused to boot and was acting weird the other day ..... reseated ribbons and connectors to power board. All good again. I should of done one at a time really to pinpoint the culprit. But anyway its working fine again

looking like one of the diodes of the bridge rectifiers on the rottendog power board went spuds up…

Thanks for the ideas - very much appreciated. I’ll post if this is the ultimate remedy.

#1917 2 years ago

Any The Who's Tommy Pinball Wizard owners out there willing to do me a small favor?

Here's what's going on: My Tommy recently started only registering 5 of the 6 balls that are installed at start up/boot up. At the same time it also started cycling the mirror up and down ALL the time, even in attract mode when you're not playing a game.

I was wondering if anyone out could run a quick test :

Take out one ball and boot the game. It should tell you that a ball is missing and run all the solenoids. Then when you press start, it will do the same thing. Then, after the third time when you press start it should start a game. I'm wondering if the missing ball is somehow causing the mirror to continuously run up and down (since the same "missing ball" issue stared at the same time)

I plan to take apart and check on the "ball return storage" switches to find out which one is not registering, as I certainly have all 6 balls installed, but wanted to see if a missing balled caused the same mirror problem on anyone else's machine?

Can anyone help test this or has anyone ran into the same issue before?

1 week later
#1918 2 years ago

Finally lit the plane.

Only took me 4 years to get to.

Comet Matrix Flex head Warm with tap, 2- 10" Warm Strips, 3 way splitter, and a red post circle light.

GI is Frosted Sunlight, Backbox is mixed Warm, Sunlight, and Optix color changing LED on an angle for Backbox exploding,

I created Sunlight specifically after Warm and White didnt please me....Finally finished!

20210703_131132 (resized).jpg20210703_131132 (resized).jpg

20210703_183817 (resized).jpg20210703_183817 (resized).jpg
#1919 2 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Finally lit the plane.
Only took me 4 years to get to.
Comet Matrix Flex head Warm with tap, 2- 10" Warm Strips, 3 way splitter, and a red post circle light.
GI is Frosted Sunlight, Backbox is mixed Warm, Sunlight, and Optix color changing LED on an angle for Backbox exploding,
I created Sunlight specifically after Warm and White didnt please me....Finally finished!
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Nice. What’s going on with the clear plastic at the entrance to the Genius lane ??

#1920 2 years ago
Quoted from Ive:

Nice. What’s going on with the clear plastic at the entrance to the Genius lane ??

Is yours sideways, protecting the lane and a ball jump?

I was getting more airballs, and turned this direction....Unsure of original position?

Where is yours?

Isee I moved mine in between since I finshed. Its pointing at 2 oclock to catch both....

#1921 2 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Is yours sideways, protecting the lane and a ball jump?
I was getting more airballs, and turned this direction....Unsure of original position?
Where is yours?
Isee I moved mine in between since I finshed. Its pointing at 2 oclock to catch both....

Isn’t that the plastic that goes by the left scoop to prevent a ball trap right between the legs of the figure (Tommy) on the plastic?
The clear plastic assigned to the entrance of the Genius lane is a long plastic that runs parallel to the lane from front to back and is much longer.
I’m thinking the plastic you have spanning the lane entrance does not belong there.
Just my two cents.
Check out this posting, it has the placement of all clear ball deflection plastics. The one I’m talking about is third down.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-whos-tommy-club-can-you-hear-me-members-only/page/6#post-3052416

#1922 2 years ago

Interesting. It's always been there, but doesn't make it right.
The 3rd pic down has a clear plastic I don't have.
I'll dig deeper. Thanks for letting me know.

#1923 2 years ago

I have a Tommy for sale if anybody is looking to join the club or know of somebody who is looking for one.

Machine - For Sale
Used - shows wear but 100% working and clean - “1994 Tommy for sale. One of the better data East games IMO. It’s an Import from England. Game works 100% aside from the Tommy lights out and trough acts a little slow sometimes....”
2021-07-07
West Bloomfield Township, MI
Archived after: 10 days
Viewed: 873 times

#1924 2 years ago

LOVE the game. Looking to LED my Tommy. It is pretty much stock minus a few things I've done recently (Cliffys + Color DMD). Any recommendations on LEDs (quantities, types etc)? I'm a BIG FAN of Comet after using them to LED my Data East Jurassic Park.

Thanks!

#1925 2 years ago

Picked up the proto. AMA

20210510_122958 (resized).jpg20210510_122958 (resized).jpg
#1926 2 years ago

Nowhere near 100K, right? LOL

How's the gameplay?

#1927 2 years ago
Quoted from bmcclary:

LOVE the game. Looking to LED

LOVE the game. Looking to LED my Tommy. It is pretty much stock minus a few things I've done recently (Cliffys + Color DMD). Any recommendations on LEDs (quantities, types etc)? I'm a BIG FAN of Comet after using them to LED my Data East Jurassic Park.
Thanks!

In my opinion, Comet Sunlighr for GI, and color match inserts, if you want richer colors. 2 SMD. I mix whites in the backbox.

#1928 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinball_Basement:

Picked up the proto. AMA
[quoted image]

Amazing !

Huge ask - could you please at some point take some good video so we can see how the Proto plays. There is some on YouTube but shot from a very low angle so it’s hard to see what’s going on.

I’m also particularly interested in seeing how the ramps and bomber function. Some good photos would be appreciated too. Thanks

#1929 2 years ago

Picked up the proto. AMA
[quoted image]

The speaker panel grills & apron are not correct for a pre-prototype so those production ones on your game must have got swapped in at some point. Other than that, everything else looks right from what I can see in that one picture.

#1930 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinsrgrt:

The speaker panel grills & apron are not correct for a pre-prototype so those production ones on your game must have got swapped in at some point. Other than that, everything else looks right from what I can see in that one picture.

Proto games arnt held to the same standards as production games. So when they wanted to try the next version of the speaker grills... They tried them out on the proto they had.

#1931 2 years ago

Proto games arnt held to the same standards as production games. So when they wanted to try the next version of the speaker grills... They tried them out on the proto they had.

I disagree, those 10 pre-prototypes were built specifically for the play so they would have all been the same. After that came the prototype for the production game where that could have been what you suggested.

#1932 2 years ago
received_220483229943286 (resized).jpegreceived_220483229943286 (resized).jpegreceived_793798084667504 (resized).jpegreceived_793798084667504 (resized).jpeg
#1933 2 years ago

Picked up the proto. AMA
[quoted image]

What’s the story on the 8-Ball Centaur Addams?

#1934 2 years ago
Quoted from Pbpins:

What’s the story on the 8-Ball Centaur Addams?

I think that may be a prototype too!

#1935 2 years ago
Quoted from Flipperfun:

I think that may be a prototype too!

No, that's just a playfield I got in a large parts purchase. Had an Old bally can laying around.

#1936 2 years ago

Working on a new Pinsound orchestration for Tommy with all live Who tracks. If anyone wants to give it a try, here is a link to the folder. Any songs you think would be worthwhile to add, please let me know. I have a few modes to update the songs as they are the previous non-live tracks. Thanks.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1m7y3wH53ZhbzqxzE0TMNhrfEqBNR34k5?usp=sharing

PS - let me know if the link works ok

#1937 2 years ago

I just purchased and received the new blinder mechanism from Bakerman in Germany and the new servo motor board from TNT Amusements.

It installed really easily and worked flawlessly.

Here is a link to the work on the blinders. If you scroll to the bottom, I have a short video of the blinders working.

https://www.purcellvillepinball.com/tommy-2021#Blinders

IMG_1348 (resized).jpegIMG_1348 (resized).jpeg
#1938 2 years ago
Quoted from mbelofsky:

If you scroll to the bottom, I have a short video of the blinders working.

Very nice!

While you're tidying up...I really like these. Silly, but makes me smile every time I take off the lockdown bar.

https://www.titanpinball.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=133

1 week later
#1939 2 years ago
Quoted from ClarkGriswold:

Any The Who's Tommy Pinball Wizard owners out there willing to do me a small favor?
Here's what's going on: My Tommy recently started only registering 5 of the 6 balls that are installed at start up/boot up. At the same time it also started cycling the mirror up and down ALL the time, even in attract mode when you're not playing a game.
I was wondering if anyone out could run a quick test :
Take out one ball and boot the game. It should tell you that a ball is missing and run all the solenoids. Then when you press start, it will do the same thing. Then, after the third time when you press start it should start a game. I'm wondering if the missing ball is somehow causing the mirror to continuously run up and down (since the same "missing ball" issue stared at the same time)
I plan to take apart and check on the "ball return storage" switches to find out which one is not registering, as I certainly have all 6 balls installed, but wanted to see if a missing balled caused the same mirror problem on anyone else's machine?
Can anyone help test this or has anyone ran into the same issue before?

I bought mine with the same error.

I did a quick video here somewhere on how I fixed it, but basically you first figure out which ball switch isn't working, then follow it back to see if it's even getting power

"Don't just replace it like I did, it wasn't the problem"

Then I went up, and there's a gutter switch that is next, it didn't have power, so then I went up. Turns out one of the *Silver ball* ramp targets wire was broken off and it killed power all the way down the daisy chain to the ball.

Hope that helps.

#1940 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Working on a new Pinsound orchestration for Tommy with all live Who tracks. If anyone wants to give it a try, here is a link to the folder. Any songs you think would be worthwhile to add, please let me know. I have a few modes to update the songs as they are the previous non-live tracks. Thanks.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1m7y3wH53ZhbzqxzE0TMNhrfEqBNR34k5?usp=sharing
PS - let me know if the link works ok

I downloaded someone's live who tracks about a year ago and enjoy it enough, however I just wish it played Pinball wizard sometimes a little longer. It almost never gets through the intro guitars

#1941 2 years ago

Holy mother of boards, after about 6 months, finally got a working CPU board back into my Tommy. I have a couple of issues that I was wondering if anyone might give some insight on.

When powering up, the matrix says "Open Door", which I do. Then it seems to boot normally. Haven't seen that before.

Also, lost all of the playfield lights. I have the manual, but I cannot seem to pin down the fuse for them, i just may be too close to the forest.

Finally, mirror not going down for multi ball. All was working on the old board before it crapped out, so I am at a loss as nothing changed. Thanks for any help or direction pointing.

#1942 2 years ago
Quoted from bsrhardy:

Holy mother of boards, after about 6 months, finally got a working CPU board back into my Tommy. I have a couple of issues that I was wondering if anyone might give some insight on.
When powering up, the matrix says "Open Door", which I do. Then it seems to boot normally. Haven't seen that before.
Also, lost all of the playfield lights. I have the manual, but I cannot seem to pin down the fuse for them, i just may be too close to the forest.
Finally, mirror not going down for multi ball. All was working on the old board before it crapped out, so I am at a loss as nothing changed. Thanks for any help or direction pointing.

I want to say the "Open Door" message is related to a low battery, and indicates the RAM (settings, high scores, etc) has been cleared. Probably a good time to get an NVRAM replacement anyway.

Does your mirror motor work in test mode? I had an issue where a solder joint had snapped off the "mirror down" limit switch, making it so that the mirror would try to lower but never "found" the low limit.

#1943 2 years ago
Quoted from JStoltz:

I want to say the "Open Door" message is related to a low battery, and indicates the RAM (settings, high scores, etc) has been cleared. Probably a good time to get an NVRAM replacement anyway.
Does your mirror motor work in test mode? I had an issue where a solder joint had snapped off the "mirror down" limit switch, making it so that the mirror would try to lower but never "found" the low limit.

Crap you're right about the battery. There isn't one. I need to remedy that immediately, just have two wires where the battery was. Ill fix that and move on. thanks.

#1944 2 years ago
Quoted from bsrhardy:

Is it the GI or the insert lights that are out?

#1945 2 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Is it the GI or the insert lights that are out?

All of the inserts. G.I. Working fine.

#1946 2 years ago
Quoted from bsrhardy:

All of the inserts. G.I. Working fine.

Ck fuse F4, 8 amp slow blo. If you replace it and it blows immediately on power up, you would likely have a shorted bridge rectifier.

#1947 2 years ago

Also ck CN4-CN7 on CPU to make sure they are plugged in correctly.

#1948 2 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Also ck CN4-CN7 on CPU to make sure they are plugged in correctly.

WILCO, thanks.

#1949 2 years ago

This guy does amazing work! How do you think this would look on a Tommy? I think the lockdown bar would be great, not sure the side rails would go well with the yellow.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#1950 2 years ago

Thanks for all the help from this community. I am almost there. The only thing kicking my ass is this mirror test.

I can get in DIAG, GOTO Mirror Test, but can only test the UP. I cannot seem to find a way to test the DOWN. I cannot, even trying every button, to get the test to change to DOWN.

I need a bit of handholding here. Thoughts or guidance.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
$ 18.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinball Haus

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Boards
PinSound

$ 18.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 28.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

€ 27.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Fairfax, VA
Flipper Parts
TheDudeMods

Lighting - Led
TheDudeMods

€ 25.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pin-Decals

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

There are 2,268 posts in this topic. You are on page 39 of 46.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-whos-tommy-club-can-you-hear-me-members-only/page/39 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.