(Topic ID: 142990)

The Who's TOMMY Club - Can you hear me? Members Only!

By ChadH

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,268 posts
  • 189 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 13 days ago by Cloud7
  • Topic is favorited by 101 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240402_190633 (resized).jpg
IMG_0837 (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
208B62BB-BFC2-4887-BF1F-C1553C296DC4 (resized).jpeg
E39892B0-EAE6-405E-8081-1FCCBE1A62BC (resized).png
D7947C2E-4557-4064-80FD-F244F3C06761 (resized).jpeg
20230802_224904 (resized).jpg
20230802_224851 (resized).jpg
IMG_3423 (resized).jpeg
Screen Shot 2023-07-27 at 9.35.26 AM (resized).png
IMG_3415 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3413 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3410 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3411 (resized).jpeg
Screen Shot 2023-07-26 at 11.04.34 AM (resized).png
Screen Shot 2023-07-26 at 11.03.38 AM (resized).png
There are 2,268 posts in this topic. You are on page 37 of 46.
#1801 3 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I recently redid all the LEDs in my Tommy and I'm very happy with the results. I used 2SMD sunlight for the playfield GI, and 1SMD sunlight for the backbox. I also installed an EnerGI Maestro board which eliminates the annoying GI flashing. Unfortunately, I don't think the board is being made anymore.

Unfortunately, it isn't. But they do come up for sale. Be prepared to buy immediately as they are usually gone within an hour or less of posting. It's how I got two for my DE games.

#1802 3 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I recently redid all the LEDs in my Tommy and I'm very happy with the results. I used 2SMD sunlight for the playfield GI, and 1SMD sunlight for the backbox. I also installed an EnerGI Maestro board which eliminates the annoying GI flashing. Unfortunately, I don't think the board is being made anymore.

Ditto except 2SMDs in backbox too.
EnerGI is really a must if you can find one.

#1803 3 years ago
Quoted from robotron911:

Unfortunately, it isn't. But they do come up for sale. Be prepared to buy immediately as they are usually gone within an hour or less of posting. It's how I got two for my DE games.

Thanks for the heads up.

Quoted from zahner:

Ditto except 2SMDs in backbox too.
EnerGI is really a must if you can find one.

I'm finding out it is a must. My eyes hurt after playing a couple of games.

On that subject, I'm not sure what flashers are in my machine, but they are STRONG LEDs! Any suggestions on dialing them down, like quite a bit. What are owners using that are still running on original boards? I'm wondering if I should go back to regular flasher bulbs or of anyone has found a good LED flashers for Tommy that aren't absolutely blinding?

#1804 3 years ago
Quoted from ClarkGriswold:

Thanks for the heads up.

On that subject, I'm not sure what flashers are in my machine, but they are STRONG LEDs! Any suggestions on dialing them down, like quite a bit. What are owners using that are still running on original boards? I'm wondering if I should go back to regular flasher bulbs or of anyone has found a good LED flashers for Tommy that aren't absolutely blinding?

Interesting point re the flashers. I forgot that I never upgraded them to LEDs because I heard they were a seizure inducing menace. I’ve been running the EnerGI board with incandescent flashers without incident. According to the developer of the board, it’s okay to run some, undefined, small percentage of incandescent bulbs.
For you, until you get the EnerGI board, I’d say stick with the incandescent flashers.

#1805 3 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

Interesting point re the flashers. I forgot that I never upgraded them to LEDs because I heard they were a seizure inducing menace. I’ve been running the EnerGI board with incandescent flashers without incident. According to the developer of the board, it’s okay to run some, undefined, small percentage of incandescent bulbs.
For you, until you get the EnerGI board, I’d say stick with the incandescent flashers.

Agreed, my eyes can't take it. I'll change them out this weekend.

#1806 3 years ago

Agreed, my eye can't take it. I'll change them out this weekend.

I bet.
There has been talk of other folks reaching out to the EnerGI guy to see if they can produce a run of the things.
Also, keep your eyes peeled for a used one popping up. They go fast.

#1807 3 years ago

who is he, looks like 20 would sell out in a day. we need to contact him

#1808 3 years ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

who is he, looks like 20 would sell out in a day. we need to contact him

See: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/led-gi-smoother-for-data-east

I think his “name” is caker137

#1809 3 years ago

I have regular flashlamps in mine and don't have a problem. What I'm not a fan of on Tommy and other DE games is the excessive GI flashing off/on thing. I could live with less of that. Star Wars was insane for it also.

#1810 3 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

I bet.
There has been talk of other folks reaching out to the EnerGI guy to see if they can produce a run of the things.
Also, keep your eyes peeled for a used one popping up. They go fast.

Someone did post about unplugging a certain connector to stop the flashing. Can't recall which connector it was.

#1811 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Someone did post about unplugging a certain connector to stop the flashing. Can't recall which connector it was.

I think that’s discussed toward the of the same EnerGI thread at:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/led-gi-smoother-for-data-east

#1812 3 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

I think that’s discussed toward the of the same EnerGI thread at:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/led-gi-smoother-for-data-east

Thanks for this - I'll check it out

#1813 3 years ago

Anyone know where I can get the Tommy coin door decal? No luck on google searches...

#1814 3 years ago
Quoted from colocole:

Anyone know where I can get the Tommy coin door decal? No luck on google searches...

Do you mean this?

https://www.ministryofpinball.com/en/tommy-door-decals.html

#1815 3 years ago
Quoted from colocole:

Don't think there was one originally

#1816 3 years ago

Thanks but no, on the coin door surface, I know there wasn’t one originally, there was a painted number on mine, I removed it and now the decal could cover the resulting duller paint there...I bought one a few years ago and had trouble applying it, so I know someone offered it after market

#1817 3 years ago

This may help...

069162BE-ABF4-496C-B368-4A64FF6A4D92 (resized).jpeg069162BE-ABF4-496C-B368-4A64FF6A4D92 (resized).jpeg
#1818 3 years ago
Quoted from colocole:

This may help...
[quoted image]

Hmmm. Have not seen that. Probably pretty easy to get one made. It’s not on the flyer for the American or German version. I wonder if it was a custom job. Curious.

#1819 3 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

Hmmm. Have not seen that. Probably pretty easy to get one made. It’s not on the flyer for the American or German version. I wonder if it was a custom job. Curious.

I got this on EBay a few years back. Custom made by one of their sticker makers. Less than $5. I don’t know which one, ask some of them. I got one made for my Goldeneye recently. Same way, helps the looks a lot.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#1820 3 years ago
Quoted from HIPPY:

I got this on EBay a few years back. Custom made by one of their sticker makers. Less than $5. I don’t know which one, ask some of them. I got one made for my Goldeneye recently. Same way, helps the looks a lot.
[quoted image]

That’s pretty cool. Nice look. I’m going to have to check it out

#1821 3 years ago

For you "new owners" out there, curious what is the going rate for a Tommy? I rarely see them up for sale and I am on the fence about mine.

#1822 3 years ago
Quoted from JDub03:

For you "new owners" out there, curious what is the going rate for a Tommy? I rarely see them up for sale and I am on the fence about mine.

Go into the Classifieds and look under "Archived Ads". You will see all past listings here for Tommy. The answer is $3-4K depending on condition.

#1823 3 years ago
Quoted from JDub03:

Just purchased mine a couple weeks ago and paid $3,700 (with delivery) for a really nice example (100% working, almost perfect playfield, nice cab). I needed to replace the rubbers, some led lights & clean the crap out of it, but otherwise plug and play, strong flippers & slings!

It looks great and plays really well.

#1824 3 years ago

Just purchased mine a couple weeks ago and paid $3,700 (with delivery) for a really nice example (100% working, almost perfect playfield, nice cab). I needed to replace the rubbers, some led lights & clean the crap out of it, but otherwise plug and play, strong flippers & slings!
It looks great and plays really well.

The playfields always seem to hold up pretty well on Tommys - don't really see too many battered ones.

Get Chads updated game code in there if it hasn't already ....it's a must

#1825 3 years ago
Quoted from RojerLockless:

Anyone have PinStadium lights on their Tommy? Good? Bad? Distracting?
It looks awesome, and at the same time a little much. Their BF sale has me tempted though.

Got a set of Pinstadium lighting recently. Was thinking about trying it on my Tommy. Anyone have Pinstadium on their game? Thanks.

#1826 3 years ago

Thanks for the heads up.

I originally had a hybrid of LEDs below the playfield and incandescents above it in the GI, but recently changed to all LED for lifespan and power saving purposes. I used Comet's 2-SMD LEDs under the playfield for all inserts (nice and bright) and their newer SMD-based Retro bulbs for the GI. All bulbs were frosted domes in warm white. For flashers, I used their 5-SMD flashers which are now called Retro 5-SMD. They are much easier on the eyes and as close to an incandescent flasher as I've found. I am also running an LED OCD board which makes a huge difference for the playfield lighting (I have a video if you want to see how it looks). I've been pretty happy with this setup since changing over. Links below and let me know if you have any questions!

Comet Retro Collection:
https://www.cometpinball.com/collections/retro

2-SMD:
https://www.cometpinball.com/products/2smd-bulbs

#1827 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Got a set of Pinstadium lighting recently. Was thinking about trying it on my Tommy. Anyone have Pinstadium on their game? Thanks.

My Tommy is all Sunlight LED, except the flashers, which are incandescent. Seems a great balance to me. If you have an EnerGI board, which I do, the ratio of LED to incandescent seems fine and the board’s designer said it was okay to run a limited number of incandescent bulbs.

#1828 3 years ago
Quoted from Ive:

I'm planning on it. Going to wait a couple of months before making the switch, but it seems almost unanimous that it is better code that evens out the scoring and uses the blinder more often - which personally I think is a good thing as it is an amazing toy.

Quoted from Number41:

I originally had a hybrid of LEDs below the playfield and incandescents above it in the GI, but recently changed to all LED for lifespan and power saving purposes. I used Comet's 2-SMD LEDs under the playfield for all inserts (nice and bright) and their newer SMD-based Retro bulbs for the GI. All bulbs were frosted domes in warm white. For flashers, I used their 5-SMD flashers which are now called Retro 5-SMD. They are much easier on the eyes and as close to an incandescent flasher as I've found. I am also running an LED OCD board which makes a huge difference for the playfield lighting (I have a video if you want to see how it looks). I've been pretty happy with this setup since changing over. Links below and let me know if you have any questions!
Comet Retro Collection:
https://www.cometpinball.com/collections/retro
2-SMD:
https://www.cometpinball.com/products/2smd-bulbs

Appreciate the response here. I was planning on either trying the 5-SMD flashers or just going back to old school bulbs for those. I would rather do LED for those and haven't tried the Retro bulbs from Comet yet, so maybe this is a good test pinball to try them out on. I'm wondering how the OCD board helps the GI, is this to stop the flashing or is it to smooth out the instant on/off?

#1829 3 years ago
Quoted from Ive:

If you don't mind, where do we find this code?

#1830 3 years ago
Quoted from loren3233:

Pinside shops - Matt’s Basement
Look for roms
He is on the internet, as the same.
I think it is about $15-$20
He is fast and it’s easy to do.

#1831 3 years ago

Need some help. A few months ago my Tommy "wigged out". Blinders, propellers, mirror, just about everything actuating constantly. DMD out, fuses blowing, couldn't start a game, etc. I rebuilt the power supply, changing just the caps didn't solve the issue, so replaced the voltage regulator, bridge rectifier & power transistor. On restart all solenoids except the left kick out were out. Replaced the blown fuses tied to them. All appeared to be well. Played a few games, no blinders. That's where we sit today, everything as it should be except the blinders. Now I've been pondering selling/trading, so I figure I should get them working. Is there a fuse or transistor tied directly to the blinders operation I may be missing?

#1832 3 years ago
Quoted from Ive:

The playfields always seem to hold up pretty well on Tommys - don't really see too many battered ones.

Totally agree on the code update, I started playing more often after. I’ve got the coin taker flasher kit and as others have said they’re too bright, gotta change them out...

I love playing Tommy, for me one of the best combos of theme and old school playability...

#1833 3 years ago
Quoted from loren3233:

https://www.pinballcode.com/

#1834 3 years ago
Quoted from AntennaMan:

Need some help. A few months ago my Tommy "wigged out". Blinders, propellers, mirror, just about everything actuating constantly. DMD out, fuses blowing, couldn't start a game, etc. I rebuilt the power supply, changing just the caps didn't solve the issue, so replaced the voltage regulator, bridge rectifier & power transistor. On restart all solenoids except the left kick out were out. Replaced the blown fuses tied to them. All appeared to be well. Played a few games, no blinders. That's where we sit today, everything as it should be except the blinders. Now I've been pondering selling/trading, so I figure I should get them working. Is there a fuse or transistor tied directly to the blinders operation I may be missing?

can you operate the blinders using the ARCH in the test menu?
under the apron there is a driver card for the blinders, it might be bad, it makes the signal for the servo to operate.
do not attempt to move the servo while the game is powered up, you will damage the gear train inside the servo.
Pinovations makes a replacement driver card
https://www.bestofpinball.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=0&products_id=15234
tomcard (resized).jpgtomcard (resized).jpgtommy (resized).jpgtommy (resized).jpg

#1835 3 years ago
Quoted from bob_e:

can you operate the blinders using the ARCH in the test menu?

No and the link you provided is out of the driver card.

#1836 3 years ago
Quoted from AntennaMan:

No and the link you provided is out of the driver card.

Did you try TNT Amusements?

https://www.tntamusementsstore.com/wptnt/product/tommy-blinders-board/

#1837 3 years ago

Funny, I played Tommy a few times at friends and fell in love with the game (being a Who fan). Read about the 'blinders' before and had no idea what they were talking about. Then after I bought myself a Tommy, one day the blinders popped out and I was like, what the fuck?? Great feature of the game for sure.

#1838 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Funny, I played Tommy a few times at friends and fell in love with the game (being a Who fan). Read about the 'blinders' before and had no idea what they were talking about. Then after I bought myself a Tommy, one day the blinders popped out and I was like, what the fuck?? Great feature of the game for sure.

Funny I've had people playing the game for a bit...and I hear "what the fuck" ..and I know just what just happened

#1839 3 years ago

Hello, Tommy owners. Several of you have purchased my various Tommy items in the past (flipper toppers, target decals, and spinner decals), and now I want to share my latest mod - the custom Union Jack themed Tommy apron set. A Tommy owner recently contacted me and asked if I could come up with something to replace his peeling apron decals, and since I think it turned out pretty well I decided to make the set available to everyone.

I'm offering the apron set which includes the two triangle decals, the center decal, and the two apron cards for $50 including US shipping (international shipping on a per quote basis). The decals are printed on adhesive vinyl using a photo quality printer then coated with a clear gloss vinyl laminate. The cards are the same, but printed on OEM ultra gloss photo paper.

As you can see, everything is designed with a Union Jack flag as the primary background with the various spacing between the decals/cards taken into account so that everything ties together nicely.

If you are interested in purchasing the decal set or any of my other Tommy mods, please PM me for details.
Tommy_1.jpgTommy_1.jpg

Flipper Toppers: https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/95182

Spinner Decals: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-whos-tommy-club-can-you-hear-me-members-only/page/23#post-5280870

Target Decals: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-whos-tommy-club-can-you-hear-me-members-only/page/23#post-5280870

#1840 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

When you start a game hold the extra ball button in, you get to play the whole game with the blinders.

#1841 3 years ago

Their kit arrived today. Just finished installing it and it works great. Thanks for the help, I didn't even know about this little board.

#1842 3 years ago
Quoted from AntennaMan:

Thanks for the help, I didn't even know about this little board.

Happy to help.

#1843 3 years ago

Appreciate the response here. I was planning on either trying the 5-SMD flashers or just going back to old school bulbs for those. I would rather do LED for those and haven't tried the Retro bulbs from Comet yet, so maybe this is a good test pinball to try them out on. I'm wondering how the OCD board helps the GI, is this to stop the flashing or is it to smooth out the instant on/off?

The LED OCD can't help GI, unfortunately (it's for playfield insert lighting, but it does make a huge visual difference with smooth on/off ramping). You'd need an EnerGI Maestro that people have mentioned here for full control and smoothing of the GI and the creator isn't currently building them. I installed a cheaper/more available solution, the GIzmo for Stern machines, which smooths GI on/off and only offers minimal timing control via jumpers. It also doesn't bypass the relay, so there's still clicking on/off. It's better than nothing though, IMO!

#1844 3 years ago
Quoted from RojerLockless:

I've got another newbie question!
So the side skirts that go inside the box... how on earth.... I have maybe 1mm of clearance.. MAYBE 2? I don't see how you couldn't scratch a vinyl or Mirror there.. is my box somehow different?
Am I missing something?
I want to put something in there but.. man, lol I'm SURE I'd scratch it instantly.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I use poster board between the playfield and the cabinet when i lift the playfield up.

3 weeks later
#1845 3 years ago

was finally getting around to making my first Pinside post when the server blew up...

The mirror on our Tommy sometimes gets stuck in the UP or DOWN positions. Someone I know who used to do regular pinball maintenance for a living suggested taking apart the mechanism and giving it a good clean and lube. Does anyone have any pictures or a video how-to on working with the mirror assembly? Also, what kind of lube would you suggest?

#1846 3 years ago
Quoted from ArgyleRuby:

was finally getting around to making my first Pinside post when the server blew up...
The mirror on our Tommy sometimes gets stuck in the UP or DOWN positions. Someone I know who used to do regular pinball maintenance for a living suggested taking apart the mechanism and giving it a good clean and lube. Does anyone have any pictures or a video how-to on working with the mirror assembly? Also, what kind of lube would you suggest?

Hope that works, but if not, check this link out. https://www.pinballinfo.com/community/threads/tommy-mirror-motor.12415/
Nice discussion of problems and solutions.

#1847 3 years ago

I have a question on the UPPER flipper on Tommy. Mine stopped working during game play. I lifted the playfield and found that the upper flipper mech, where the metal rod connects to plastic, (see generic pic for reference) had a pin that was in it and that came out. I couldn't get the pin back in, so I decided that I would temporally put in a screw and nut on there (like my lower flippers have) so I could continue playing while waiting on a rebuild kit (which I still haven't ordered). When that flipper is engaged the nut now touches the metal base on the solenoid and it being magnetically stuck to it - meaning that flipper now sticks up and stays there for a bit even after the flipper button is NOT engaged.

Based upon looking at the lower flipper assemblies on my Tommy (those have a similar screw and nut assembly at that point), I'm thinking that the upper flipper assembly uses something different (like the pin that fell out and caused it to stop working in the first place)

Now I'm not sure what/which flipper assembly to purchase to properly rebuild that UPPER flipper? Anyone have any insight here or can you link me to the proper assembly to purchase to fix it? Are the lower flippers a bit different in this regard to the upper flipper?

Tommy is not as much fun with my upper flipper sticking... I want to make sure I get the correct parts to fix it.

Screen Shot 2021-04-11 at 12.10.36 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2021-04-11 at 12.10.36 PM (resized).png
#1848 3 years ago

I have a question on the UPPER flipper on Tommy. Mine stopped working during game play. I lifted the playfield and found that the upper flipper mech, where the metal rod connects to plastic, (see generic pic for reference) had a pin that was in it and that came out. I couldn't get the pin back in, so I decided that I would temporally put in a screw and nut on there (like my lower flippers have) so I could continue playing while waiting on a rebuild kit (which I still haven't ordered). When that flipper is engaged the nut now touches the metal base on the solenoid and it being magnetically stuck to it - meaning that flipper now sticks up and stays there for a bit even after the flipper button is NOT engaged.
Based upon looking at the lower flipper assemblies on my Tommy (those have a similar screw and nut assembly at that point), I'm thinking that the upper flipper assembly uses something different (like the pin that fell out and caused it to stop working in the first place)
Now I'm not sure what/which flipper assembly to purchase to properly rebuild that UPPER flipper? Anyone have any insight here or can you link me to the proper assembly to purchase to fix it? Are the lower flippers a bit different in this regard to the upper flipper?
Tommy is not as much fun with my upper flipper sticking... I want to make sure I get the correct parts to fix it.[quoted image]

The 3 are the same, except you don’t do the EOS switch. Pinball Life will sell just 1 set. Get the left set.

#1849 3 years ago
Quoted from HIPPY:

The 3 are the same, except you don’t do the EOS switch. Pinball Life will sell just 1 set. Get the left set.

Thank you!

#1850 3 years ago
Quoted from lhammer610:

My Tommy cabinet is nearly trashed. The bottom got wet and the back. I could replace those sections, but the one side has some damage, too.
I might get a friend who is great at woodworking, to help me build a cabinet. Are there cabinet building plans around?
I was also thinking of ordering one of those virtual pinball cabinet kits. I am not sure how compatible that would be for a DE game.
Are the kits compatible with a real pinball machine? I think the DMD part of the backbox is a different size for DE vs. WPC. WPC has 5&1/2" speakers while Tommy has 4". Should I care? I would like to retain the Union Jack decals around the speaker, but dislike those metal speaker grills.

Damn that sucks.

Quoted from Fm09138:

I use poster board between the playfield and the cabinet when i lift the playfield up.

Thanks, yeah I finally ended up just buying the plastic protectors to protect the mirrored vinyl I put on.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 18.95
Machine - For Sale
Fairfax, VA
€ 25.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pin-Decals

$ 45.95
$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

€ 27.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

Lighting - Led
TheDudeMods

$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 28.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Flipper Parts
TheDudeMods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Boards
PinSound

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinball Haus

$ 18.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 2,268 posts in this topic. You are on page 37 of 46.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-whos-tommy-club-can-you-hear-me-members-only/page/37?hl=jdub03 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.