(Topic ID: 142990)

The Who's TOMMY Club - Can you hear me? Members Only!

By ChadH

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,267 posts
  • 188 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 days ago by RCA1
  • Topic is favorited by 101 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0837 (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
208B62BB-BFC2-4887-BF1F-C1553C296DC4 (resized).jpeg
E39892B0-EAE6-405E-8081-1FCCBE1A62BC (resized).png
D7947C2E-4557-4064-80FD-F244F3C06761 (resized).jpeg
20230802_224904 (resized).jpg
20230802_224851 (resized).jpg
IMG_3423 (resized).jpeg
Screen Shot 2023-07-27 at 9.35.26 AM (resized).png
IMG_3415 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3413 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3410 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3411 (resized).jpeg
Screen Shot 2023-07-26 at 11.04.34 AM (resized).png
Screen Shot 2023-07-26 at 11.03.38 AM (resized).png
image (resized).jpg

There are 2,267 posts in this topic. You are on page 36 of 46.
#1751 3 years ago
Quoted from RojerLockless:

Those side vinyl's are sweet where did you get them?

I ordered them from https://www.retrorefurbs.com
It did take some time to arrive but i found them worth it. They look very nice on the machine i think.

#1752 3 years ago
Quoted from cybevenom:

I ordered them from https://www.retrorefurbs.com
It did take some time to arrive but i found them worth it. They look very nice on the machine i think.

Yes that will work for the lamp matrix lights, but this is the GI maestro one...

20201217_074102 (resized).jpg20201217_074102 (resized).jpg
#1754 3 years ago
Quoted from Milltown:

are Those adjustment knobs ? On the board ?

Yes, Its been a while since I installed it and played with it...but yes all adjustments made on the board....unfortunately they are no longer being made...I found this one used....

#1755 3 years ago
Quoted from monkfe:

Yes, Its been a while since I installed it and played with it...but yes all adjustments made on the board....unfortunately they are no longer being made...I found this one used....

Dam

I like that idea.

#1756 3 years ago

So, I upgraded the game to 5.0 and now my Encore doesn't ever save my ball... like.. Ever.. hah.. If my flipper hits ONCE it's gone.. yet it's still there if I touch nothing it saves it but that's literally it.

I dug through the settings and couldn't really find anything that seemed to be what I'm looking for, how to I turn it on to be at least a little more generous? It used to be fantastic!

Save me! lol I'm getting WORSE at the game now because 1 of my 3 balls keeps being 1 or 2 flippers and then drains ! >.<

#1757 3 years ago

So, I upgraded the game to 5.0 and now my Encore doesn't ever save my ball... like.. Ever.. hah.. If my flipper hits ONCE it's gone.. yet it's still there if I touch nothing it saves it but that's literally it.
I dug through the settings and couldn't really find anything that seemed to be what I'm looking for, how to I turn it on to be at least a little more generous? It used to be fantastic!
Save me! lol I'm getting WORSE at the game now because 1 of my 3 balls keeps being 1 or 2 flippers and then drains ! >.<

Check Adjustment 51

https://www.pinballcode.com/tommy5

Adjustment 51 - Proprietary

Original: No effect on the game.

Update: Renamed to “Ball Save”. Allows the player to control the amount of switches hit at start of ball before Ball Save is turned off. Range is 1 to 9. Default is 4.

#1758 3 years ago
Quoted from Ive:

Check Adjustment 51
https://www.pinballcode.com/tommy5
Adjustment 51 - Proprietary
Original: No effect on the game.
Update: Renamed to “Ball Save”. Allows the player to control the amount of switches hit at start of ball before Ball Save is turned off. Range is 1 to 9. Default is 4.

Thank you!

#1759 3 years ago

Weird.. Just checked my Adjustment goes from 1-12.. then skips to 99 factory reset....

I have no 13-98.

#1760 3 years ago

You have to press the start button on the last adjustment to expand them

#1761 3 years ago

Weird.. Just checked my Adjustment goes from 1-12.. then skips to 99 factory reset....
I have no 13-98.

try again, human error.

#1762 3 years ago
Quoted from matt_adams:

You have to press the start button on the last adjustment to expand them

hhaha, I'm so dumb.

Thanks guys got it all sorted out.

#1763 3 years ago

I installed pinsound in my Tommy, All Who songs V2. I already had flipper fidelity speakers in there but the sound was not very good and what a difference it makes. I can’t think of any other machine that needs pinsound as much as Tommy. Any opinions on what the best version is to have installed?

#1764 3 years ago

My retro refurbs who cab decals after almost 2 months are finaly in ny.... Now to wait for them to get to mass....all good.. Not there fault....

#1765 3 years ago
#1766 3 years ago

I haven't seen any posts about installing a GIzmo LED smoother (made by LED OCD creator Harold Toler) in Tommy, so I thought I'd share my recent experience with it. Since the EnerGI Maestro isn't being made anymore, I decided to give the cheaper GIzmo a try. It was reported to work in Tommy with a tight fit on the LED OCD website and I'm happy to report it does work and the fit is actually pretty exact. Installation was simple and the only thing I had to do was make sure the yellow and white CN9 cables were out of the way. Since it doesn't bypass the relay, there is still clicking and it's still a bit abrupt when the GI flashes on. GI going out, however, has nice smooth ramping. While not as powerful and customizable as the EnerGI Maestro, I think it's a pretty good solution for just making the GI flashing a little easier on the eyes when using LEDs.

IMG_5317 (resized).JPGIMG_5317 (resized).JPG

#1767 3 years ago

I got an extra, new, unused trans light like this for sale. I sure do like mine. It’s $60, priority postage included, shipped in a tube. PM, if interested.

Sold.

63687155-9E84-4033-BDB0-DB43EE820ED9 (resized).jpeg63687155-9E84-4033-BDB0-DB43EE820ED9 (resized).jpeg
#1768 3 years ago
Quoted from Dallas_Pin:

Here’s an example of a ‘used’ Tommy PF that had no work done on it. Smooth .. your observations are spot on. My GnR and DESW are the same
[quoted image]

Really would love one of these to hang on my wall.

#1769 3 years ago

Anyone have any directions or pictures on how to install the Cliffy's? I finally got mine in after the holidays!

#1770 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

I always recommended the external headphone station as well. For $50, it saves you a lot of headaches going between orchestrations and controlling the external volume. The wheel on the Data East is terrible for controlling sound. They never seem to work. What I personally do is run an extended USB cable from the Pinsound card to the front of the coin door. I put one orchestration on each USB so when I want to change between orchestrations, I just swap out the USB. It is a lot easier than taking off the translite, lowering the speaker panel, etc. to get to the Pinsound card.
amazon.com link »

This is an underrated post.

#1771 3 years ago
Quoted from Milltown:

Could not be happier with my alternate translight from retro refurbs... Very cool.. Pinsound is killer once I get it ironed out . stil killer as it is...
The kids are alright cab art next from retro returns...
Have to stil instal my cliffys protectors amd new mirror decals and instal chads code.. Sinking some coin in this one but its a keeper...
[quoted image][quoted image]

I like your Pinbot

#1772 3 years ago
Quoted from HIPPY:

I got an extra, new, unused trans light like this for sale. I sure do like mine. It’s $60, priority postage included, shipped in a tube. PM, if interested.
[quoted image]

Be careful advertising these for sale. You will have some German dude threatening to have his family in Colorado hunt you down lol. Did you have it made yourself? We likely had the same guy do it as I got mine printed in Texas as well.

#1773 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Be careful advertising these for sale. You will have some German dude threatening to have his family in Colorado hunt you down lol. Did you have it made yourself? We likely had the same guy do it as I got mine printed in Texas as well.

Thanks, but, no, these are at retrorefurbs. Already gone, too. Looks really good.

#1774 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

By the way, your Pinsound stuff is the very best. Can’t imagine Tommy without it.

#1775 3 years ago
Quoted from HIPPY:

By the way, your Pinsound stuff is the very best. Can’t imagine Tommy without it.

Thanks, your probably the second person to actually show some praise Hard crowd to please, these pinball collectors.

#1776 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Thanks, your probably the second person to actually show some praise Hard crowd to please, these pinball collectors.

I think you did a great job with it. Thanks! I am currently running The Who greatest V2 and it’s a huge upgrade from the original songs.

#1777 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Thank you for your pinsound <3

#1778 3 years ago
Quoted from HIPPY:

Thanks, but, no, these are at retrorefurbs. Already gone, too. Looks really good.

I had one - I thought I like the design but once in my game it just didn't seem right I also didn't like the strange mottling effect on the white areas, and some of the lines were a bit off. Minor things but enough to bother me. Sold it to someone else who loved it though.

The Proto one is my favourite so I went back to that one.

#1779 3 years ago

I'm not saying everyone in this thread should go vote tommy 10/10... but I'm not saying you shouldn't either

#1780 3 years ago
Quoted from Milltown:

Rest of the cliffys in place... Shooter dialed in manual and auto....
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Do you have any pictures installing them? I started putting them on today and I just don't want to take off anything I don't have to to get them on. The only one I've installed so far is by the shooter rod.

#1781 3 years ago

Do you have any pictures installing them? I started putting them on today and I just don't want to take off anything I don't have to to get them on. The only one I've installed so far is by the shooter rod.

Ahhh I don't... They take some time and patience for sure.... The left scoop is the tough one and it's not to bad to do.. The others are a breeze.

#1782 3 years ago
Quoted from Milltown:

Ahhh I don't... They take some time and patience for sure.... The left scoop is the tough one and it's not to bad to do.. The others are a breeze.

Crap. Lol I just don't wanna take apart stuff that I don't need to... I've already lost a screw that fell into the playfield somewhere I really hope it fell through but I can't find it or hear it anywhere.

#1783 3 years ago

On a side note, I decided to cheap out and make my own blades for my Tommy.

I went with a Silver mirrored vinyl and cut them to the same size as my protectors. *Just used them as a template worked GREAT and the whole roll of vinyl was around 8 bucks.

What do you think?

Definitely WAY better than it was stock.

I used the soapy water spray bottle method... Worked easy and took only about half a minute each side!

20210113_181554 (resized).jpg20210113_181554 (resized).jpg20210113_181612 (resized).jpg20210113_181612 (resized).jpg20210113_182307 (resized).jpg20210113_182307 (resized).jpg
#1784 3 years ago

Crap. Lol I just don't wanna take apart stuff that I don't need to... I've already lost a screw that fell into the playfield somewhere I really hope it fell through but I can't find it or hear it anywhere.

Common occurence .... probably hung up in the wiring loom somewhere.

#1785 3 years ago

Check the speaker magnet
Its not to hard to instal them...

#1786 3 years ago

I bought a stainless steel gazing ball as a replacement Tommy topper, and have been looking at the various posts on mounting it. A couple have gone with just having a plate over the hole in the backbox and threading a long screw up into the ball. Given the thin surface of the ball that doesn't seem really secure.

After looking around further, seems like perhaps a jack nut would be the ideal solution? Something like https://www.grainger.com/product/POP-AVDEL-Jack-Nut-3ZLU8

Or alternatively a well nut such as https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-10-32-tpi-x-5-8-in-Brass-Expansion-Nut-814358/204276054

Anyone tried either of these approaches?

Randy

#1787 3 years ago
Quoted from rwredmon:

I bought a stainless steel gazing ball as a replacement Tommy topper, and have been looking at the various posts on mounting it. A couple have gone with just having a plate over the hole in the backbox and threading a long screw up into the ball. Given the thin surface of the ball that doesn't seem really secure.
After looking around further, seems like perhaps a jack nut would be the ideal solution? Something like https://www.grainger.com/product/POP-AVDEL-Jack-Nut-3ZLU8
Or alternatively a well nut such as https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-10-32-tpi-x-5-8-in-Brass-Expansion-Nut-814358/204276054
Randy

mine just sits in the existing hole...never had an issue....

#1788 3 years ago
Quoted from monkfe:

mine just sits in the existing hole...never had an issue....

This. I was doing the same thing as you - figuring out a mounting set up. And I noticed the ball didn't even wobble when I would slide it out to work on it. So, really no reason to mount. Particularly considering that even if I transported it, I don't move games with toppers with them still attached.

#1789 3 years ago
Quoted from robotron911:

This. I was doing the same thing as you - figuring out a mounting set up. And I noticed the ball didn't even wobble when I would slide it out to work on it. So, really no reason to mount. Particularly considering that even if I transported it, I don't move games with toppers with them still attached.

I picked up an flat round metal plate used to secure junction boxes to studs that was bigger than the hole (kind of looks like a metal maze), ran a screw with a washer through it into the ball (mine is a big heavy outdoor silver plastic Christmas tree ball that’s the same size and character as the original) and I had no issues and can fold the top with the ball affixed - if that’s at all a goal.

#1790 3 years ago
Quoted from rwredmon:

Randy

I did the same.

I Drilled a small hole.
And a 6 inch long piece of Plexi inside...
It's deff not moving...

#1791 3 years ago
Quoted from rwredmon:

Randy

You could drill a hole and put in a nutcert or rivitnut. Then you could put a plate inside the backbox and thread a bolt through it to the nutcert on your ball. Should hold very well.

#1792 3 years ago

So while I realize that the ball just sitting there shouldn't generally go anywhere, I felt better with it being appropriately mounted.

The jack nut was the way to go and worked beautifully. Looking online it looked like you could really only buy them in bulk, but I was able to find it locally via my local Napa auto parts store as a 'body hardware fastener'. https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BK_6651059?partTypeName=Jack+Nut+and+Well+Nut&impressionRank=3&keywordInput=jack+nut. This particular jack nut provides a 1/4"-20 nut.

Drilled a hole in the stainless steel gazing ball, inserted the jack nut, used a 1/4"-20 bolt and a couple of nuts to tighten it down and I was good to go. Got a cheap 1 1/2" steel bar and cut a 6" piece to be the mounting plate inside the backbox. Drilled holes to mount it and a hole in the middle for the 1/4"-20 bolt to attach to the jack nut in the ball. Looks awesome and the ball isn't going anywhere.

Randy

#1793 3 years ago
Quoted from Milltown:

Ok I installed the gi ocd board.. I Was hoping it would work well with out having to hook up a lap top like I did with dirty harry...
Seems to be about the same flicker it was having.
How hard is it to get it linked in to adjust the settings...
Simple process ?

I must be blind. I do not see any flickering from the GI's in Tommy. The only thing I did was remove the relay plug. That stopped the brain cell killing strobe when the mirror drops. Other than that, it is fine to my eyes.

I had thought about doing a little home made mod, where I could convert the GIs to DC by putting a rectifier in the circuit. Then experimenting with different electrolytic caps so that the flashing of the relay would be more subtle.

But with the relay unplugged, I have moved that down the list.

#1794 3 years ago

My Tommy cabinet is nearly trashed. The bottom got wet and the back. I could replace those sections, but the one side has some damage, too.

I might get a friend who is great at woodworking, to help me build a cabinet. Are there cabinet building plans around?

I was also thinking of ordering one of those virtual pinball cabinet kits. I am not sure how compatible that would be for a DE game.

Are the kits compatible with a real pinball machine? I think the DMD part of the backbox is a different size for DE vs. WPC. WPC has 5&1/2" speakers while Tommy has 4". Should I care? I would like to retain the Union Jack decals around the speaker, but dislike those metal speaker grills.

2 weeks later
#1795 3 years ago

Thinking about doing a live Who orchestration for my Tommy. If anyone has any tracks they like added, just post on the thread. Likely take a bunch from Woodstock, Isle of Wight and Tanglewood.

#1796 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Thinking about doing a live Who orchestration for my Tommy. If anyone has any tracks they like added, just post on the thread. Likely take a bunch from Woodstock, Isle of Wight and Tanglewood.

Might want to check out the Tommy deluxe version on iTunes.
Probably the best sounding live version of Tommy in its entirety. I think it’s a remastered release as well.
It’s all studio first and second half is all live.

#1797 3 years ago

Just got it today! Haven't played a DE The Who's Tommy Pinball Wizard since I was a kid! Looking forward to doing some upgrades and I'll probably have a few questions for some of you more experienced owners out there! It's also my very first data east (and one of the best from them IMHO) so looking forward to getting under the hood a bit too!

I see on this thread that the pinside sound board is pretty much a must have for Tommy. Anything else I should consider - I'll likely be keeping her around for a quite a while?

Tommy1 (resized).JPGTommy1 (resized).JPG
#1798 3 years ago

Okay, first question! My new (still can't believe I got one!) Tommy has all LEDs, but some of the GIs are colored and I prefer almost all white for GI (with a few exceptions of course) and maybe one or two in the backbox, but only if it make sense and doesn't drown out everything around it.

Wondering what other Tommy owners have used for GIs (normal white, cool white, sunlight & so forth) and what brightness 1SMD, 2SMD or what? Same with the back box, what did you use there. Any pics or links to pics are appreciated too.

#1799 3 years ago
Quoted from ClarkGriswold:

Wondering what other Tommy owners have used for GIs (normal white, cool white, sunlight & so forth) and what brightness 1SMD, 2SMD or what? Same with the back box, what did you use there. Any pics or links to pics are appreciated too.

I recently redid all the LEDs in my Tommy and I'm very happy with the results. I used 2SMD sunlight for the playfield GI, and 1SMD sunlight for the backbox. I also installed an EnerGI Maestro board which eliminates the annoying GI flashing. Unfortunately, I don't think the board is being made anymore.

#1800 3 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I recently redid all the LEDs in my Tommy and I'm very happy with the results. I used 2SMD sunlight for the playfield GI, and 1SMD sunlight for the backbox. I also installed an EnerGI Maestro board which eliminates the annoying GI flashing. Unfortunately, I don't think the board is being made anymore.

Thanks! I was thinking a more natural looking light like sunlight would likely be the best bet. I'm seeing what you're talking about with the flashing and possible needing something to dial that down a bit.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
There are 2,267 posts in this topic. You are on page 36 of 46.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-whos-tommy-club-can-you-hear-me-members-only/page/36?hl=jdub03 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.