(Topic ID: 142990)

The Who's TOMMY Club - Can you hear me? Members Only!

By ChadH

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,268 posts
  • 189 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 20 days ago by Cloud7
  • Topic is favorited by 101 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240402_190633 (resized).jpg
IMG_0837 (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
208B62BB-BFC2-4887-BF1F-C1553C296DC4 (resized).jpeg
E39892B0-EAE6-405E-8081-1FCCBE1A62BC (resized).png
D7947C2E-4557-4064-80FD-F244F3C06761 (resized).jpeg
20230802_224904 (resized).jpg
20230802_224851 (resized).jpg
IMG_3423 (resized).jpeg
Screen Shot 2023-07-27 at 9.35.26 AM (resized).png
IMG_3415 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3413 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3410 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3411 (resized).jpeg
Screen Shot 2023-07-26 at 11.04.34 AM (resized).png
Screen Shot 2023-07-26 at 11.03.38 AM (resized).png
There are 2,268 posts in this topic. You are on page 35 of 46.
#1701 3 years ago
Quoted from monkfe:

I will second these (Pinglides) ...huge difference in the difficulty of reinstalling the playfield....I also got rid of those "posts" that the playfield sits on and went with Sterns Playfield support bracket...much better[quoted image]

The stern suppprts I did add...

#1702 3 years ago
Quoted from scootss:

Mentioning this in case it helps someone. In position 3 when it says "reverse procedure"...that's not exactly right. You really need to get to side of the machine and get a hand on the back of the playfield to get it back over the "bump"

Yep - I generally do that on my games. I see many people just bumping the playfield back over - it sounds and feels horrible but I don't think there is really much risk of damaging anything. Depends on the game also - some seem to have bigger bumps !

Either way - it's a less than satisfying system.

#1704 3 years ago

Anyone sell a cool shooter rod for Tommy? Thanks.

#1705 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Anyone sell a cool shooter rod for Tommy? Thanks.

Ordered a red one from pinball life they hsve a few diff color options...

#1706 3 years ago
Quoted from Milltown:

Ordered a red one from pinball life they hsve a few diff color options...

Ok, thanks. Just wondering if they ever made a Union Jack one, etc.

#1707 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

I picked up a few enamel who Jack keychains from,eBay...
Gonna attemt a custom .

#1708 3 years ago

Should I get the Pinsound Plus or the Pinsound Neo? there really a big difference?

#1709 3 years ago
Quoted from RojerLockless:

Should I get the Pinsound Plus or the Pinsound Neo? there really a big difference?

Plus deff the plus...more adjustments and it makes the stock speakers sound aewsome....

#1710 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

I have looked high and low for a gearshift knob or something spherical with a Union Jack on it. I’d buy a spherical shooter in a heartbeat. If anyone finds something that can be used to construct a Union Jack shooter, let me know.

#1711 3 years ago

Cool, Ordered the Plus, got the free headset and free shipping. Good enough for me!

#1712 3 years ago

Cool, Ordered the Plus, got the free headset and free shipping. Good enough for me!

Plus is better for the nominal additional amount. You can't go wrong with the card, if you decide to sell it, you will get most of your money back for sure.

#1713 3 years ago

Excited to stick it in there.

Giggity.

#1715 3 years ago

Finally got around to installing the other side of my Union Jack side blades. This time I used the soap method and it worked great. No damage this time. Had to trim a little bit off the end by the flipper button. Would recommend this method if installing the Union Jack side blades. Here is a video that shows you the method.

#1716 3 years ago

That's what im going to make....

#1717 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Finally got around to installing the other side of my Union Jack side blades. This time I used the soap method and it worked great. No damage this time. Had to trim a little bit off the end by the flipper button. Would recommend this method if installing the Union Jack side blades. Here is a video that shows you the method.

Make sure you use the protectors .,,so easy to damage.

#1718 3 years ago

So, I received my v5 2 chips in the mail and I can't find any instructions to install them. I found a generic DE one but I can't find anything Tommy related and I don't wanna blow my game up

Where do I put these two ROM chips to make the v5 work? Will it reset my scores? Just wondering, my settings?

Thanks!

#1719 3 years ago

So, I received my v5 2 chips in the mail and I can't find any instructions to install them. I found a generic DE one but I can't find anything Tommy related and I don't wanna blow my game up
Where do I put these two ROM chips to make the v5 work? Will it reset my scores? Just wondering, my settings?
Thanks!

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tommy-software-version-40

Game chip at position C5 on the main board, and the display chip swaps in to the display board on the back of the DMD. Make sure you have them the right way round - look for the 'notch'

And yes you will lose all scores and settings Have a good read of Chads rule changes - there are extra settings now , for example with Multiball qualification.

#1720 3 years ago

Thanks!

You can also look here for rule changes and updates with v.5.0
https://www.pinballcode.com/tommy5

#1721 3 years ago
Quoted from monkfe:

I will second these (Pinglides) ...huge difference in the difficulty of reinstalling the playfield....I also got rid of those "posts" that the playfield sits on and went with Sterns Playfield support bracket...much better[quoted image]

Can you confirm which playfield support bracket worked (part #; source)? There seem to be various versions available.

Thanks,
Randy

#1722 3 years ago

Screenshot_20201201-154559_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20201201-154559_Chrome (resized).jpg

Can you confirm which playfield support bracket worked (part #; source)? There seem to be various versions available.
Thanks,
Randy

These
Screenshot_20201201-154559_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20201201-154559_Chrome (resized).jpg

#1723 3 years ago
Quoted from rwredmon:

Thanks,
Randy

I’ll let you know how the Stern SAM (bigger) brackets work out. Installing them Thursday or Friday. Preliminary measurements and fitting seems to indicate they should be fine. I’ll post whether successful or otherwise once in.

#1724 3 years ago

The stern brackets work very well...

#1725 3 years ago
Quoted from Milltown:

The stern brackets work very well...

What do you do about holes for it?

#1726 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

What do you do about holes for it?

Mounted mine here in the front...the rear holes I just found a bare spot of real estate

20201124_062244 (resized).jpg20201124_062244 (resized).jpg
#1727 3 years ago
Quoted from monkfe:

Mounted mine here in the front...the rear holes I just found a bare spot of real estate
[quoted image]

Ok, thanks. So you need to make new holes at the front end?

#1728 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Ok, thanks. So you need to make new holes at the front end?

Not the front, the rear. I used an existing hole hole in the front as pictured.

#1729 3 years ago
Quoted from AntennaMan:

Have what I thought was an immaculate Tommy, never a problem, then suddenly when I turn it on the propellers constantly spin, can't start a game and the DMD is out along with some of the lighting. When I turn the machine off, all the "dead" things, momentarily flash on, so I know they're not really dead. This happened when I played a couple of games, went to the office for a while, then was heading upstairs and decided to play one more game. Anything specific to look for when the propellers constantly propel?

Rebuilt the power supply, because the +5v was only +2.2v. I replaced all caps, the voltage regulator, bridge rectifier & power transistor. On restart all solenoids except the left kick out were out. Replaced the blown fuses tied to them. All appeared to be well. Played a few games, no blinders. After the rebuild I ran through the tests, but didn't know what the Arch Test was, but now I do, still no blinders. Before the rebuild, when the +5v was running about +2.2v, the propellers, mirror and sometimes blinders were operating on their own. Blinders have never been a problem. Am I possibly missing the fuse controlling them, which I can't see any specifically listed in the manual or is it a transistor or something else?

#1730 3 years ago

I saw, a while back, someone posting a video of a Tommy with flashers and GIs behind the airplane plastic hanging from the top. Does anyone have any info on wiring and hardware (types of bulb sockets, locations, etc.?).

I apologize if this is old news, but I did a search and came up empty.

#1731 3 years ago
Quoted from lhammer610:

I saw, a while back, someone posting a video of a Tommy with flashers and GIs behind the airplane plastic hanging from the top. Does anyone have any info on wiring and hardware (types of bulb sockets, locations, etc.?).

I used a wedge bolb socket with a 12v red flasher linked to a flasher in,the back box... And 2 5 inch strips behimd the plastic.

#1732 3 years ago
Quoted from lhammer610:

I just daisy chained 3 or 4 #44 bayonet sockets behind the explosions artwork. Wired to GI on light panel . Used 'random flashing' bulbs to simulate explosions.

#1733 3 years ago

Hey Guys, great thread.. joined the club a few weeks ago, found a HUO locally that looked like it was hardly ever played and thoroughly enjoying it now. One thing that I noticed was even after a few days of playing, the silver ball target started to wear even more showing white so I was frantically looking for solutions to protect it but with no luck and a reproduction was not easy to find, I saw on the forum that someone cut in a pinball in 1/2 which looked cool but wasn't as practical as would've liked.. an idea popped across my mind to use a mirrored silver Christmas ball ornament that I saw on my tree as I bought a pack with a few sizes in it. I cut one in 1/2 with a thin dremel wheel and it turned out to be almost exactly the same material as the target, maybe a stronger finish being new, I attached it with double sided 3m tape and it works perfectly, hope this helps with a solution for others.

Video here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e4qe6oemee5lanq/video%20dec%2006%2C%2010%2046%2059%20pm.mov?dl=0

Silver Ball (resized).jpgSilver Ball (resized).jpg
#1734 3 years ago

Also, feel free to download my sound pack that I made for Pinsound for those of you who have it installed. I spent many hours editing & fitting songs from the original movie soundtrack in with the original tommy mix that play in random. Growing up I was a huge fan of both the who and the movie and loved them both equally the same. Hope you enjoy it.

https://www.pinsound-community.org/forum/index.php?/files/file/343-tommy-ompst-rt/

Tommy (resized).jpgTommy (resized).jpg
#1735 3 years ago
Quoted from 80sMan:

Hey Guys, great thread.. joined the club a few weeks ago, found a HUO locally that looked like it was hardly ever played and thoroughly enjoying it now. One thing that I noticed was even after a few days of playing, the silver ball target started to wear even more showing white so I was frantically looking for solutions to protect it but with no luck and a reproduction was not easy to find, I saw on the forum that someone cut in a pinball in 1/2 which looked cool but wasn't as practical as would've liked.. an idea popped across my mind to use a mirrored silver Christmas ball ornament that I saw on my tree as I bought a pack with a few sizes in it. I cut one in 1/2 with a thin dremel wheel and it turned out to be almost exactly the same material as the target, maybe a stronger finish being new, I attached it with double sided 3m tape and it works perfectly, hope this helps with a solution for others.
Video here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/e4qe6oemee5lanq/video%20dec%2006%2C%2010%2046%2059%20pm.mov?dl=0[quoted image]

Really nice. Where did you get the Christmas ball ornaments? Thanks for this idea and the pinsound download

#1736 3 years ago
Quoted from Milltown:

I used a wedge bolb socket with a 12v red flasher linked to a flasher in,the back box... And 2 5 inch strips behimd the plastic.

Did you attach the LED strips directly to the plastic? Or to the bottom of the upper/back of the cabinet where the plastic is mounted?

I like getting my LEDs from Pinball Life. It seems that they do not have any strips, darn it. Where did you get them?

#1737 3 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

Really nice. Where did you get the Christmas ball ornaments? Thanks for this idea and the pinsound download

Thanks.. and you're welcome. They were the small one's in this pack I bought about a year ago, the .78 size. With the 3m tape, it work it also works to soften air balls, as before they would launch sometimes too on direct hits. I put a piece on the target and a piece behind the ball.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VQSNW92/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s01

#1738 3 years ago
Quoted from lhammer610:

Did you attach the LED strips directly to the plastic? Or to the bottom of the upper/back of the cabinet where the plastic is mounted?
I like getting my LEDs from Pinball Life. It seems that they do not have any strips, darn it. Where did you get them?

Facing down attached to the bottom behind the plastics.
I get mine from comet...

#1739 3 years ago

Ok I installed the gi ocd board.. I Was hoping it would work well with out having to hook up a lap top like I did with dirty harry...
Seems to be about the same flicker it was having.
How hard is it to get it linked in to adjust the settings...
Simple process ?

#1740 3 years ago
Quoted from cybevenom:

hat seems forever got a developer shaker kit from the Pinsound brothers after i met Nicolas at the Dutch Pinball Open in 2018 (no sha

Quoted from cybevenom:

Long time silent member but finally at the party.
Been owning my Tommy for more than 10 years. Finally finished shopping it last week.

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Those side vinyl's are sweet where did you get them?

#1741 3 years ago
Quoted from 80sMan:

Also, feel free to download my sound pack that I made for Pinsound for those of you who have it installed. I spent many hours editing & fitting songs from the original movie soundtrack in with the original tommy mix that play in random. Growing up I was a huge fan of both the who and the movie and loved them both equally the same. Hope you enjoy it.
https://www.pinsound-community.org/forum/index.php?/files/file/343-tommy-ompst-rt/
[quoted image]

Thanks for doing the Tommy Mix for Pinsound. The more people that create original orchestrations the better it makes the game experience. I was wondering if anyone else that has tried the orchestration has found the music files to be a lot lower volume than the vocal and SFX tracks? When you did the orchestration, did you adjust the Amplify amount for each song you added? Thanks.

#1742 3 years ago

So... I'm installing the Pinsound card right now and it's doing its 10%... 20% update playing it's elevator music and WOW.. The sound coming out of it is BAD ASS. You guys were totally right.

#1743 3 years ago

So... I'm installing the Pinsound card right now and it's doing its 10%... 20% update playing it's elevator music and WOW.. The sound coming out of it is BAD ASS. You guys were totally right.

So good

#1744 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Thanks for doing the Tommy Mix for Pinsound. The more people that create original orchestrations the better it makes the game experience. I was wondering if anyone else that has tried the orchestration has found the music files to be a lot lower volume than the vocal and SFX tracks? When you did the orchestration, did you adjust the Amplify amount for each song you added? Thanks.

Glad that you like it. Yes, that was one of the biggest challenges I found is that the music files from the cd soundtrack were too low in comparison to sfx,etc. I played a lot and tried different ways but found that amplifying each track to the maximum amount without clipping was the best compromise to be the loudest it could be without any distortion and still be somewhat normalized throughout.

#1745 3 years ago

I really like that pinsound elevator music, lol, there’s one track where it sounds a bit techno and the bass line climbs and the song builds up throughout, starts over again, excellent.

#1746 3 years ago

I was hoping the gi ocd board would be good to go on my tommy pinball machine..
I used one on dirty harry and it was plug and play...
Tommy not so much...deff needs to be adjusted...
Anyone have a list of settings they used ?
And a easy way to go about it ?
Im not very good with computer shit....haha
Thanx in advance....

#1747 3 years ago
Quoted from Milltown:

I was hoping the gi ocd board would be good to go on my tommy pinball machine..
I used one on dirty harry and it was plug and play...
Tommy not so much...deff needs to be adjusted...
Anyone have a list of settings they used ?
And a easy way to go about it ?
Im not very good with computer shit....haha
Thanx in advance....

Did you buy an actual GI OCD board from Harold (who also makes LED OCD)? If so, I don't think that's compatible with Tommy and only for Williams games. The EnerGI Maestro board that caker137 makes is specifically made for DE games, but I don't think they're in production at the moment - maybe keep an eye out for someone who might be selling one?

#1748 3 years ago
Quoted from Number41:

Did you buy an actual GI OCD board from Harold (who also makes LED OCD)? If so, I don't think that's compatible with Tommy and only for Williams games. The EnerGI Maestro board that caker137 makes is specifically made for DE games, but I don't think they're in production at the moment - maybe keep an eye out for someone who might be selling one?

Oah shit.. I bought the led ocd board from Harold ...
Said for data east and it worked on tommy ... I will find the link....

#1750 3 years ago
Quoted from Number41:

http://ledocd.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=23 I bought this one....

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 28.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

€ 27.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

Machine - For Sale
Fairfax, VA
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 18.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

€ 25.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pin-Decals

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 45.95
$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 18.95
Lighting - Led
TheDudeMods

Flipper Parts
TheDudeMods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinball Haus

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 2,268 posts in this topic. You are on page 35 of 46.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-whos-tommy-club-can-you-hear-me-members-only/page/35?hl=antennaman and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.