(Topic ID: 142990)

The Who's TOMMY Club - Can you hear me? Members Only!

By ChadH

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,268 posts
  • 189 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 20 days ago by Cloud7
  • Topic is favorited by 101 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240402_190633 (resized).jpg
IMG_0837 (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
208B62BB-BFC2-4887-BF1F-C1553C296DC4 (resized).jpeg
E39892B0-EAE6-405E-8081-1FCCBE1A62BC (resized).png
D7947C2E-4557-4064-80FD-F244F3C06761 (resized).jpeg
20230802_224904 (resized).jpg
20230802_224851 (resized).jpg
IMG_3423 (resized).jpeg
Screen Shot 2023-07-27 at 9.35.26 AM (resized).png
IMG_3415 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3413 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3410 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3411 (resized).jpeg
Screen Shot 2023-07-26 at 11.04.34 AM (resized).png
Screen Shot 2023-07-26 at 11.03.38 AM (resized).png
There are 2,268 posts in this topic. You are on page 33 of 46.
#1601 3 years ago
Quoted from RojerLockless:

I guess I don't know the words. the metal plates protecting the holes the balls run into. mine has a tiny bit of damage I'd like to protect.

Gotcha . cliffys protectors . great investment . easy instal..
Finished my final instal last night...
Look up cliffys protectors...

#1602 3 years ago

I was wondering what these decals are called and where I could find them. I don't need these flag ones but I'd like to look at some Tommy Related ones and I can't seem to find ANYWHERE that sells just those. Mine sides are black and showing some ware and I'd like to protect them and make it look a little bit nicer.
[quoted image]

Side blades .., tommys playfeild rides very close to the sides and very easy to damage the blades... Trust me I gouged mine asap..haha ..found some who,decals that I,will add once im finished ..,then some sort of poster board will be used when raising the pf ..

#1603 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

To update the music to the Who, etc., you need a Pinsound card. The cheapest option is $319US. I would spend the extra $50 and buy the Pinsound Plus card.
https://www.pinsound.org/shop/index.php?id_product=60&controller=product&id_lang=1
If you do the card, might as well upgrade the speakers while you are at it. Lots of options for speakers, but Pinsound sells them as well.

I was actualy blown away by how plus made the stock speakers sound.....

#1604 3 years ago

Final cliffys protector behind the mirror installed ...
Spent 1.5 hours making the manual ball shooter ride dead center ...
Also added a second mounting screw to the stock auto shooter... It seemed the issue was the 1 screw would loosen and the shooter would shift...
Figured why not . if it fails I will do the new stern...
Waiting for my ocd board and the big wait is alternate cab art from refurbs... Big wait but worth it....
Then possible color dmd / speaker lights ...

#1605 3 years ago

Not tommy but some of the best who footage avail...

IMG_20201112_221443_470 (resized).jpgIMG_20201112_221443_470 (resized).jpg
#1606 3 years ago
Quoted from Milltown:

Side blades .., tommys playfeild rides very close to the sides and very easy to damage the blades... Trust me I gouged mine asap..haha ..found some who,decals that I,will add once im finished ..,then some sort of poster board will be used when raising the pf ..

Try these. I use the one set on all my games when working on them.

https://www.pinballlife.com/interior-cabinet-protector-blade-set.html

#1608 3 years ago

Rest of the cliffys in place... Shooter dialed in manual and auto....

1113201851 (resized).jpg1113201851 (resized).jpg1113201851a_HDR (resized).jpg1113201851a_HDR (resized).jpg1113201851b_HDR (resized).jpg1113201851b_HDR (resized).jpg1113201851c_HDR (resized).jpg1113201851c_HDR (resized).jpgIMG_20201113_193323_189 (resized).jpgIMG_20201113_193323_189 (resized).jpg
#1609 3 years ago

So, when I picked up my machine the old owner said it was giving him a "1 ball missing" error when it was turned on. Although clearly there were 6 balls in the game. He told me this up front as it's not exactly easy to hide. It kicked all the parts it could attempting to "unstick" the missing ball and this happened 3 times when you pressed start. Then the game fired up normally and worked.

Other than some normal maintenance and replacing the very worn balls, that was all that was wrong with mine when I picked it up.

Well Friday with a buddy we tracked down and fixed the error and I made a short video if anyone is interested in what was wrong, and how it was fixed.

Enjoy.

#1610 3 years ago

So, when I picked up my machine the old owner said it was giving him a "1 ball missing" error when it was turned on. Although clearly there were 6 balls in the game. He told me this up front as it's not exactly easy to hide. It kicked all the parts it could attempting to "unstick" the missing ball and this happened 3 times when you pressed start. Then the game fired up normally and worked.
Other than some normal maintenance and replacing the very worn balls, that was all that was wrong with mine when I picked it up.
Well Friday with a buddy we tracked down and fixed the error and I made a short video if anyone is interested in what was wrong, and how it was fixed.

Enjoy.

Trough switches out of wack . ,or a bad switch or bad diode
.. Check all trough switches in test... Just had to do this on mine..

#1611 3 years ago
Quoted from Milltown:

Trough switches out of wack . ,or a bad switch or bad diode
.. Check all trough switches in test... Just had to do this on mine..

Haha you got it..,i didn't finish the post you made... Nice fix.

#1612 3 years ago
Quoted from Milltown:

Haha you got it..,i didn't finish the post you made... Nice fix.

No worries Yeah it took a few hours and I was lucky to have ONE final Diode to attempt the fix with (Pretty sure soldering over and over fried the original one ) But it's working fine now. Every single light bulb and every switch

Now I have some high scores to break.

#1613 3 years ago

No worries Yeah it took a few hours and I was lucky to have ONE final Diode to attempt the fix with (Pretty sure soldering over and over fried the original one ) But it's working fine now. Every single light bulb and every switch
Now I have some high scores to break.

Aewsome man
Its a killer table...

#1614 3 years ago

Man the instal of the gi ocd on tommy it a process haha . we're did you mount yours ? Any pics of the instal ?

#1615 3 years ago

Thanks man, it's the only pinball machine I've ever wanted to own since I was a little kid. I thought as a young kid it was the coolest thing in the world that it sang a song about pinball, WHILE YOU PLAYED PINBALL!!! I had no idea who "The Who" were at all. I also REALLY enjoyed the "encore" function and how fair it felt.
There's nothing worse as a kid then getting that 50 cents from your parents to play and getting 3 very fast gutter balls and you end up playing for less than 60 seconds.

And then there's the easy multi-ball! Ahhh I love this box.

#1616 3 years ago

Thanks man, it's the only pinball machine I've ever wanted to own since I was a little kid. I thought as a young kid it was the coolest thing in the world that it sang a song about pinball, WHILE YOU PLAYED PINBALL!!! I had no idea who "The Who" were at all. I also REALLY enjoyed the "encore" function and how fair it felt.
There's nothing worse as a kid then getting that 50 cents from your parents to play and getting 3 very fast gutter balls and you end up playing for less than 60 seconds.
And then there's the easy multi-ball! Ahhh I love this box.

Lotsa cool you can add.., i just added pinsound...total game changer.. Now it plays the who and holy shit it's great....

#1617 3 years ago
Quoted from Milltown:

Lotsa cool you can add.., i just added pinsound...total game changer.. Now it plays the who and holy shit it's great....

Yeah, I think changing that along with the speakers, changing the game code to play better (still not entirely sure about this?), or the pinlights might be my first "mod" I just don't know which to choose.

#1618 3 years ago

Yeah, I think changing that along with the speakers, changing the game code to play better (still not entirely sure about this?), or the pinlights might be my first "mod" I just don't know which to choose.

Pinstadium not needed .. Some nice comet led ...
If you go pinsound plus it realy makes the stock speakers come to life.. Add a salvation army powered sub and holy shit....

#1619 3 years ago

I

Im putting chads updated code in next week maybe.. Just wanna play the he'll out of this code first

#1620 3 years ago

damn... Items total $ 369.95

Domestic shipping $ 39.95

out of principal... screw 40 dollar shipping on a 400 dollar pinsound wtf lol.

#1621 3 years ago

If you are not in a rush, keep an eye out for a used one. I picked up a like new Pinsound+, with all cables and still with a box for $250 shipped with speakers.

#1622 3 years ago

There are places in the statea

#1623 3 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

If you are not in a rush, keep an eye out for a used one. I picked up a like new Pinsound+, with all cables and still with a box for $250 shipped with speakers.

You can get them in the states as well...
I had a horrible experience with ks arcade but that's me and wouldn't give him another cent... But I'm sure there are others,,,

#1625 3 years ago

They usually have a Black Friday sale, sometimes free shipping or headphone station. Which is worth more than the shipping.

#1626 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

They usually have a Black Friday sale, sometimes free shipping or headphone station. Which is worth more than the shipping.

oo which website does? I'm stateside.

#1627 3 years ago

Planetary ?

#1628 3 years ago

Pinsound

#1630 3 years ago

Game. ..,you want chads code.. He started this thread .. Msg him...

#1631 3 years ago

Sound is pinsound ...

#1632 3 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

Look at what's in my basement!
[quoted image]
That's my friend Mike (dkpinball) playing it.
I was surprised to see there is no Tommy club here on Pinside yet... so I figured I'd start one.
I am just starting to explore this game. So far I am really liking it. What's everyone's thoughts on this one?
Let's see some pictures of your game!

Quoted from Milltown:

Game. ..,you want chads code.. He started this thread .. Msg him...

Chaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad. I hear I need your code!

#1633 3 years ago

Haha

#1634 3 years ago

Hell yeah you do!

Gaze upon its glory here:
https://www.pinballcode.com/tommy5

Contact Meloyelo51 if you don't have your own ROM burner. He can get you set up.

#1635 3 years ago
Quoted from Number41:

Some before and after fun! While I've been partial to the original incandescent light setup in my machine, I decided to test out a handful of LED samples from Art over at Comet Pinball. After tinkering around with various brightness levels and types of white, I ultimately decided to keep my GI as incandescent and change all inserts to clear warm white 2-LED bulbs with a few exceptions - I used some frosted 1 or 2 SMD lights on larger inserts and yellow LEDs under the TOMMY mirror letters (those turned a more greenish-yellow with white LEDs under them that I wasn't a fan of). The pop bumpers have red 6-LED crystal fans in them. So far I'm thrilled with how it looks - the color saturation of the inserts really comes through and everything pops - while still nicely complemented by the warm incandescent GI lighting. Pictures don't quite do it justice, but they're the best I can do. Thanks for the awesome lights and service, Art! Next step is changing out the backbox lights to frosted LEDs. I've also installed Pinbits plastic protectors, Cliffy protectors, and all Titan silicone since the last time I posted any pics.
Oh, and a nice unexpected side effect of changing almost everything under the field to LED - hardly any electrical hum as the lights cycle in attract mode!
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

I think I might have to do some LED's they look so good.

#1636 3 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

Hell yeah you do!
Gaze upon its glory here:
https://www.pinballcode.com/tommy5
Contact meloyelo51 if you don't have your own ROM burner. He can get you set up.

MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLOYYYYYYY...

Meloyelo51 I need a ROM, Where do I pay you ?

#1637 3 years ago

hehe, Thanks for everyone being patient with me here. First pinball and although I've torn apart some wires and fixed a few issues I am completely ignorant when it comes to modding it.

I'm still on page 4 re-reading this whole thread.

#1638 3 years ago

I think I might have to do some LED's they look so good.

I went with Comet “sunlight white” (not too white, not too yellow) for everything and added an EnerGI board to smooth things out. Looks great in my humble opinion.

#1639 3 years ago

Whats the least expensive non back box altering way to do the color dmd ? The led screen ? Anyone have a link on this.?

#1640 3 years ago
Quoted from Milltown:

Whats the least expensive non back box altering way to do the color dmd ? The led screen ? Anyone have a link on this.?

https://shop.colordmd.com/led-replacement-display-for-the-whos-tommy-pinball-wizard-pinball-machine/

#1641 3 years ago
Quoted from Milltown:

In Canada you can get a PIN2DMD for around $250CDN (around $190US). Assuming someone has done the color conversion file already for Tommy.

#1642 3 years ago

Another question.
I received my gi ocd board..
What location for mounting did you all use so the cables reach with ease...

#1643 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

In Canada you can get a PIN2DMD for around $250CDN (around $190US). Assuming someone has done the color conversion file already for Tommy.

Hmmmm explain ?

#1644 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

I like that $$$

#1645 3 years ago
Quoted from Milltown:

Hmmmm explain ?

Not sure if the conversion file has been done for Tommy? Best to find someone in the US that builds the DMDs and find out if Tommy is done and they can likely load the file onto your PIN2DMD before it is received.

http://vpuniverse.com/forums/search/?q=tommy&quick=1

#1646 3 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

I went with Comet “sunlight white” (not too white, not too yellow) for everything and added an EnerGI board to smooth things out. Looks great in my humble opinion.

Are the LED's as easy as replacing the bulbs plug and play? Or do they need to be rewired etc.

#1647 3 years ago

Are the LED's as easy as replacing the bulbs plug and play? Or do they need to be rewired etc.

Nope. Just like regular bulbs. To get to the GI bulbs on the top of the playfield you will have to remove a bunch of the plastics, and maybe a ramp ( can’t remember). If you do that, it’s a good time to do a deep playfield clean and wax. It’s a bunch of work installing all new bulbs and it really adds up in cost fast. I recommend looking for something like the EnerGI board or you might find the flashing LEDs are likely to induce a seizure. Absent such a board, LEDs are either on or off. Incandescent bulbs fade on and off, albeit quickly. The EnerGi board steps the LEDs up and down (you set the speed of the effect), thus mimicking the fade of incandescent. I think there are other boards that do the same thing since EnerGI boards are hard to get. Just something to consider.

#1648 3 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

Frosted or clear bulbs? and which did you use 2SMD or 1SMD Non-Ghosting Bulbs? Think I might start by just replacing 25 and see what happens.

#1649 3 years ago
Quoted from Milltown:

I like that $$$

Have a link ?

#1650 3 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Whenever I get a new game I like to watch the movie or in this case the play to better understand some of the rules, call-outs and objectives. By the way I forced myself to watch Barbwire when I picked up that machine-it was cringe worthy.
Link for rules/objectives:
http://pinball.org/rules/tommy.html

Is there a link to the broadway musical I can watch? A live recording or something? Hell I don't mind buying the DVD I've just never found anything.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Flipper Parts
TheDudeMods

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

€ 27.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 3.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 18.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinball Haus

$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Machine - For Sale
Fairfax, VA
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

€ 25.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pin-Decals

Lighting - Led
TheDudeMods

$ 45.95
$ 28.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

There are 2,268 posts in this topic. You are on page 33 of 46.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-whos-tommy-club-can-you-hear-me-members-only/page/33 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.